TProBBS?

Michael C. Weiss

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Anyone remember TProBBS for the Apple 2?
I'm just curious if anyone has a copy, still using it, knows
what ever happened to the guy who wrote it, stories, etc...
I used to run a small BBS using that software...and I'm
just curious if anyone remebers that system.
It was ahead of its time IMOHO - it was a precursor to MUDs and online
gaming...

mwe...@voicenet.com

Greg Buchner

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
In article <S_PS1.276$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>, "Michael C. Weiss"
<mwe...@voicenet.com> wrote:

>Anyone remember TProBBS for the Apple 2?

Yep, log on to one regularly.

>I'm just curious if anyone has a copy, still using it, knows
>what ever happened to the guy who wrote it, stories, etc...
>I used to run a small BBS using that software...and I'm
>just curious if anyone remebers that system.
>It was ahead of its time IMOHO - it was a precursor to MUDs and online
>gaming...

Electronics Shop (612-789-2149) is run on:

- Enhanced Apple IIe
- Apple Monitor II
- Duodisk 5.25 Drives
- Unidisk 3.5 Drive
- Applied Engineering Transwarp Accelerator
- Apple Parallel Card
- Apple DMP Printer
- RamFast High Speed SCSI Card
- Maxtor LXT-200S Hard Drive (15 mil sec seek time)
- Apple Super Serial Card
- Intel 144/144e External 14,400 bps Modem
- SMT No Slot Clock
- TProBBS II v5.0 Beta Software

And I got the following information from it, but I don't know if
any of it is valid any longer.

About TProBBS Version 5.0:

TProBBS (The Professional Bulletin Board System) was written by Guy T. Rice
(alias Thomas Katt). It is written primarily in Applesoft BASIC and 65C02
Assembly Language. Marketing of TProBBS is now handled by Digital Sorcery,
Inc. (612) 757-2055

Greg B.

--
*****
Note: To e-mail me, replace someone with gjb

Michael C. Weiss

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

Is the game still in the BBS - or was it taken out?

Greg Buchner

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
In article <Ye2T1.321$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>, "Michael C. Weiss"
<mwe...@voicenet.com> wrote:

>Is the game still in the BBS - or was it taken out?

I don't know for certain...the only game I play on Electronics
Shop is the Trivia Game they have online. Don't ever really
see the game menu as I have it set to not show menus.

Michael C. Weiss

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
Greg Buchner <som...@wavetech.net> wrote:
: In article <Ye2T1.321$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>, "Michael C. Weiss"
: <mwe...@voicenet.com> wrote:

: Greg B.

The "game" in the version of TPro had was an intergrated part of the
BBS. During the creation of a new account you could create a "character"
(like a MUD or any computer role playing game)...

The entire BBS was built around the game...and the message boards, email,
and downloads were good - but secondary in the system...

Greg Buchner

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
In article <6cqT1.454$wV1.2...@news2.voicenet.com>, "Michael C. Weiss"
<mwe...@voicenet.com> wrote:

>The "game" in the version of TPro had was an intergrated part of the
>BBS. During the creation of a new account you could create a "character"
>(like a MUD or any computer role playing game)...

Nope, didn't ever see anything like that. Apparently it's changed
in the newer versions.

Doede Boomsma

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
Michael C. Weiss <mwe...@voicenet.com> wrote:

> Anyone remember TProBBS for the Apple 2?

Check out Mr. Brad's system! Telnet to lost-gonzo.com and from the Main
Menu you can connect to a TProBBS and a METAL/FV BBS!

--Doede

Adam Myrow

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
If you have telnet access, try connecting to lost-gonzo.com. The sysop has
(or use to have) a TPro door running of the main PC-based BBS. I don't know
if it still is running, though.

--
Adam Myrow
adam....@asu.edu or my...@micro-net.com

Craig J. Larson

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
TProBBS v4.2f had the role playing game characters in it. TProBBS v5.0
did not. I have run both systems. I took the last TProBBS v4.2f board
down last January that was in the Twin Cities.

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Greg Buchner wrote:

> In article <6cqT1.454$wV1.2...@news2.voicenet.com>, "Michael C. Weiss"

Greg Buchner

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
In article <Pine.SGI.3.91r.98101...@tcfreenet.org>,

"Craig J. Larson" <lar...@tcfreenet.org> wrote:

>TProBBS v4.2f had the role playing game characters in it. TProBBS v5.0
>did not. I have run both systems. I took the last TProBBS v4.2f board
>down last January that was in the Twin Cities.

Ah, that would explain a lot...never really ever called Apocalyptic City,
so I never really ran across that.

Figured you'd show up on this thread sooner or later.

Tom Kruesel

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
Juan;

I lost your address. Can you getin touch with me so I can get you the
rest of your money?

Thanks

Tom

(And sorry!)

buzz...@gamersgarrison.us

Sep 21, 2017, 5:32:59 PM9/21/17
On Sunday, October 11, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Craig J. Larson wrote:
> TProBBS v4.2f had the role playing game characters in it. TProBBS v5.0
> did not. I have run both systems. I took the last TProBBS v4.2f board
> down last January that was in the Twin Cities.

I know it's been a number of years, but I have to ask as I'm trying to get my old TPro running again. Do you still have a copy of the TPro you ran? Mine is version 4.0.0 but I'd be happy for an upgrade. If you have it, can I somehow get a copy of it? I'm anxious to get my old BBS running again, though I know it would mostly for nostalgia.

awanderin

Sep 21, 2017, 11:25:11 PM9/21/17

Does anyone know of a publicly available truetype (or opentype) font
that has either or both of the open-apple and closed-apple symbols that
are on Apple IIe/IIc/IIgs keyboards?

--
Jerry awanderin at gmail dot com

Scott Alfter

Sep 22, 2017, 2:21:38 PM9/22/17
In article <m3o9q31k...@gmail.com>,
awanderin <awan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a publicly available truetype (or opentype) font
>that has either or both of the open-apple and closed-apple symbols that
>are on Apple IIe/IIc/IIgs keyboards?

http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

awanderin

Sep 22, 2017, 9:57:35 PM9/22/17
sc...@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter) writes:

> In article <m3o9q31k...@gmail.com>,
> awanderin <awan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Does anyone know of a publicly available truetype (or opentype) font
>>that has either or both of the open-apple and closed-apple symbols that
>>are on Apple IIe/IIc/IIgs keyboards?
>
> http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml

Thanks, Scott.

I found that one via web search. I am looking for a font that has
smooth characters, rather than simulating bit-map screen characters.

I'll keep looking...

Hugh Hood

Sep 22, 2017, 10:42:13 PM9/22/17
Jerry,

If you ever find a non-bitmap-style Truetype font containing all the
MouseText characters (preferably with their ASCII positions tracking
those from $80-$FF on the Apple II), please post back.

I've looked for a smoothly-rendered MouseText font for several years in
order to print Apple II screen shots and the like, and when printed, the
printed bit-mapped stuff just looks a little 'hokey', if that makes sense.

I actually did get MouseText to print to pdf by using a modified version
of the ImageWriter Emulator (IWEM), but the blockiness of the bitmaps
just didn't suit my preferences. Others' mileage may vary, of course.

Even if you find one where the characters didn't 'track' in the ASCII
table, a tool like Font Forge can take care of that, and even let one
choose what low-ASCII alphanumeric font to use with the MouseText.

Thanks.

Hugh Hood

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Sep 23, 2017, 10:05:42 AM9/23/17
On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 7:42:13 PM UTC-7, Hugh Hood wrote:
> Jerry,
> I've looked for a smoothly-rendered MouseText font for several years in
> order to print Apple II screen shots and the like, and when printed, the
> printed bit-mapped stuff just looks a little 'hokey', if that makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense. Traditionally bitmaps look blurry when scaled up due to bilinear filtering.

However bitmap fonts don't necessarily _need_ to look blocky when enlarged. The problem is most people don't know about an alternative representation -- Signed Distance Fields.

I have a demo of this:

Font: Bitmap vs SDF
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/llK3Wm

The black bar at the very top shows the native 1:1 resolution of the A's.
The middle A shows a naive bilinear filtering upsampling.
The ones on the right show when you use a better algorithm how you can acheive sharp(er) lines from the same data.

That said, having a nice vector font for all the MouseText would be good to have.