][+ Shift Key Mod?

Edhel Iaur, Esq.

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

Does the ][+ shift key mod only make the shift keys act (in addition
to their old tasks) as the joystick button associated with PDL(2)?

Does it take specially-made programs to recognise the shift key mod?

Is the single wire running from the keyboard plug (or those other
places where the shift key's signal can be grabbed from) to the game
port the only part of the shift key mod, or is it more complicated
than that?
--
_ />___________________ +==Apple // Forever==+
||/ \|\_/|/ \| \> http://members.aol.com/owsw/1WSW.Home.Page.html
http://www.grin.net/~cturley/USA2WUG/FOUNDING.MEMBERS/HOME.PAGES/EDHEL
***For my correct email address, delete all the capital letters***

Tom Zuchowski

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

Edhel Iaur, Esq. <LOSETHECAPIT...@bigfoot.com> wrote in article
<33e3fbe4...@news.tds.net>...

> Does the ][+ shift key mod only make the shift keys act (in addition
> to their old tasks) as the joystick button associated with PDL(2)?

That is correct.

> Does it take specially-made programs to recognise the shift key mod?

Yes. Alternatively, the firmware that is running while in 80-column mode
with many if not most II+ 80-column cards will handle the shift-key mod
transparently to the program that is running.

> Is the single wire running from the keyboard plug (or those other
> places where the shift key's signal can be grabbed from) to the game
> port the only part of the shift key mod, or is it more complicated
> than that?

That's all there is to it. Typically the signal is taken off the comb pins
between the two keyboard boards.

TomZ

Steve Jensen

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

Tom Zuchowski <tzu...@ibm.net> writes:
: Edhel Iaur, Esq. <LOSETHECAPIT...@bigfoot.com> wrote in article

: That is correct.

: TomZ

Here's a file I have on the shiftkey mod:

To install the "shift key mod" on a II+ what you need to do is connect
a wire from the shift key pin on the keyboard aux. circuit board (this
hangs below the keyboard) to annunciator 3 on the joystick port. The shift
key pin is the second pin from the right on the "piggy-back" circuit
board under the keyboard. You will probably need to solder it on. Pin 4 on
the joystick connector is where you stick the other end. You can just push
the wire in and then probably replace the joystick (if there is one) right
on top of it.
In case that was unclear, 2nd from the right means as you look
under the keyboard from the front, and pin 4 is the fourth pin down on the
left with the notch at the top (on the joystick connector). Now, when the
shift key is pressed, it sets (or clears?) AN3. Some programs look for
this. However, DOS and Applesoft don't, as far as I know.

sje...@qnisyourknife.net __ __ ____ ___ ___ ____
sje...@primenetyourknife.com /__)/__) / / / / /_ /\ / /_ /
Take out your knife to email me. / / \ / / / / /__ / \/ /___ /

Thomas LeMense

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

On 4 Aug 1997 12:07:00 -0700, Steve Jensen
<sje...@primenetyourknife.com> wrote:

>shift key is pressed, it sets (or clears?) AN3. Some programs look for
>this. However, DOS and Applesoft don't, as far as I know.

Keep in mind that, unless you have a new character generator EPROM in
your Apple ][+, you won't even SEE lower case characters (unless you
are in 80 columns). The stock ][+ charcter generator ROM didn't
contain lower case characters -- which sort of explains why DOS and
Applesoft didn't bother to look for a shift key...

-tom
lem...@fhsmtp.fh.trw.com