NEW GS game! Super Mario Brothers for the Apple IIgs

CBS

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

W. Smith

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, CBS wrote:

> Take a look at :
>
> http://www.d.umn.edu/~lscharen

nicely done! :) i tried it on my 01... a little sluggish, but what can
you ask for, when you've got a stock box? ;)

keep up the good work!

---
William Smith timex-at-kluge.net
Biddeford, ME http://www.kluge.net/~timex

Lucas S.

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99

A new Super Mario Bros. demo is up!

http://www.d.umn.edu/~lscharen

New features are:

1) worlds 1-1 to 1-4 are not (not 100%)
2) 10-20% faster on unaccelerated systems
3) vertical flipping
4) more stable code
5) smaller file size
6) switched from PEI to PEA based updates

There are a few obvious bugs and cosmetic problems, but, hey, it's alpha
software.

Enjoy!

-Lucas S.

Boris Guenter

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Lucas S. (lsch...@bulldog3.d.umn.edu) wrote:
:
: A new Super Mario Bros. demo is up!

Cool game. I am sure that it will have commercial quality when it's
finished.

Keep up the good work!

__
|\/| /\ |__|| | | |\ |
`Don't Panic' | ||__||\ | | | | \ |
| || || \ \/ | | \|

Need Apple II gs software? Visit ftp.uni-kl.de...

Lucas S.

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99

Greeting,

A new version of the demo has been posted and ready to be pounded on.
Come get it at http://www.d.umn.edu/~lscharen

This is version 22/7 (halfway there :-) )

Changes from the old 0.20a demo

- a bit faster
- a bit smaller
- more enemies
- more complete levels
- many many bug fixes
- some emulator compatibility issues worked on

Remember, bug reports are welcome.

Also, after 3 years developing this game on and off I'm starting to become
burnt out by it. I will _not_ drop the project, but I'd like to start
something else. My graphics engine is good for both side scrolling,
vertical scrolling and static screen games. I'd like to make a totally
new game with the help of some other people. I'd love to do the codeing
and such, but I need someone else to provide the artwork. So, if anyone
out there has had an idea for a kick ass IIgs game and made some artwork,
let me know and we'll see what we can come up with.

I'd prefer to work on something original, not a "Hey, let's port <game>
to the IIgs". I've found from working on this project that one's too
constrained by other's and your own expectations since everyone expects it
to follow the original exactly. Ex. I've had more than one person ask if
the minus world would be in SMB IIgs. BTW- The answer is "No", it's hard
enough to get my own code correct, let alone try to replicate ather
peoples bugs.

In addition, I have very little experience with IIgs sound programming and
have been putting it off for quite some time. If anyone is interested in
integrating a simple music player based on VBL interrupts into my code
base or can just give me some pointers, I would love to hear from you.

Any replies to the coding aspect of this post should probably be followed
up in csa2.programmer.

-Lucas S.

coa...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2017, 3:02:29 AM2/21/17
On Saturday, April 17, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Lucas S. wrote:
> Greeting,
>
> A new version of the demo has been posted and ready to be pounded on.
> Come get it at http://www.d.umn.edu/~lscharen
>
> This is version 22/7 (halfway there :-) )
>
> Changes from the old 0.20a demo
>
> - a bit faster
> - a bit smaller
> - more enemies
> - more complete levels
> - many many bug fixes
> - some emulator compatibility issues worked on

Replying to an old thread. Thanks to a post in A2-Central, I was poking around Brutal Deluxe's site and read about Mr. Sprite which led me to read about Lucas's generic Tile Engine and his Super Mario Conversion.

I'm about to bring some spotlight back to both GTE and Super Mario with an article on both for Retrogaming Times Monthly in the next issue. It was a lot of information to read on the Apple IIGS capabilities and how many people tried to work around things.

Too bad Lucas isn't around these parts anymore. It would be interesting to hear his thoughts now since the Apple II community is still alive and kicking.

Donald

Antoine Vignau

Feb 21, 2017, 5:38:29 AM2/21/17
I can put you through Lucas if you wish. PM me!

Antoine

Steve Nickolas

Feb 21, 2017, 4:38:01 PM2/21/17
This all reminds me that I've been wondering how well the GS could handle
Commander Keen 4.

There's a project called "ckmodsrc", which supposedly is a reconstructed
source tree for the engine used in 4-6, but I haven't tried to get it to
work with those games, and I haven't tried to do anything with the clone
"Commander Genius" either since it's meant for modern OSes.

Whatever way it would go - I think if Wolf3D can be done, Keen probably
can too. And since the default graphics mode of the GS is 320x200x16...

-uso.

magnusfalkirk

Mar 7, 2017, 1:06:36 AM3/7/17
I tried getting to the website and when I was redirected to this site: http://iigs.dreamhost.com/ I got a server error. Hope the page is available again soon.

Dean

Kelvin Sherlock

Mar 7, 2017, 11:48:36 AM3/7/17

bill.martens

Mar 13, 2017, 12:22:11 AM3/13/17

Nikola Pegavi

Jan 15, 2024, 8:39:51 AMJan 15
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 5:22:11 AM UTC+1, bill.martens wrote:
> Try this link instead
> http://iigs.dreamhosters.com/gte/gte.html
idk how to download it pls help