Best Apple II RPGs?

Tempest

Nov 22, 2011, 12:46:48 PM11/22/11
Maybe this has been asked before, but what are the best Apple II/IIgs
RPGs? I'm in an RPG mood and I'm always looking for new RPGs I've
never played before. From my personal experience (i.e. RPGs I've
personally played and beaten) I would say:

Bards Tale I-III
Wasteland
Dragon Wars
Dark Heart of Uukrull
Centauri Alliance
AD&D Gold Box Games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds,
Champions of Krynn)
Ultima I-V (V being the best with IV coming in a close second)
Might and Magic I & II
Wizardry I-V (IV is too difficult to be fun though)
Kings Bounty (not sure if this really counts)

I've never played these before, but I've heard good things about
them. They're on my list:

Phantasie I-III
Questron I & II (isn't Legend of Blacksilver Questron III?)
Wizards Crown & Eternal Dagger
2400 A.D.

D Finnigan

Nov 22, 2011, 1:26:31 PM11/22/11
Tempest wrote:
> Maybe this has been asked before, but what are the best Apple II/IIgs
> RPGs? I'm in an RPG mood and I'm always looking for new RPGs I've
> never played before.

Have you tried Silvern Castle? That was a good one.

--
]DF$
Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and

Tempest

Nov 22, 2011, 2:17:48 PM11/22/11
On Nov 22, 1:26 pm, dog_...@macgui.com (D Finnigan) wrote:

> Have you tried Silvern Castle? That was a good one.

Wow, it seems to have some pretty hefty recommended system
requirements for a Wizardry clone written in basic (http://
webpages.milwpc.com/finkjc/silverncastle/) .

Sean Fahey

Nov 22, 2011, 3:41:09 PM11/22/11
Try playing The Magic Candle. In addition to the usual RPG elements, puzzles and questing, you also have to deal with a deadline. If you don't complete the quest in time, you lose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Candle

D Finnigan

Nov 22, 2011, 4:38:56 PM11/22/11
Well, I always played it on a stock Apple IIgs with just a 3.5" disk.

Mitchell Spector

Nov 22, 2011, 8:08:14 PM11/22/11
Tempest <tem...@atariprotos.com> wrote:

>Maybe this has been asked before, but what are the best Apple II/IIgs
>RPGs? I'm in an RPG mood and I'm always looking for new RPGs I've
>never played before.

On the IIgs, I would have to say Ancient Land of Ys, The Immortal
and Dungeon Master. I played and throughly enjoyed the former two
when they first came out. They're almost worth playing just for the
musical scores alone!

Mitchell Spector

mmphosis

Nov 22, 2011, 8:08:44 PM11/22/11
Odyssey: The Compleat Apventure

magnusfalkirk

Nov 22, 2011, 10:31:34 PM11/22/11
Actually according to this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Blacksilver it's an
indirect sequel to Legacy of the Ancients. Reference Silvern Castle it
is an excellent game and will run on a stock GS. I've been playing it
on a ROM 01 GS.

Kevin Dady

Nov 23, 2011, 12:11:01 AM11/23/11
On Nov 22, 11:46 am, Tempest <temp...@atariprotos.com> wrote:
More of an adventure game but, "The Hobbit"

Tempest

Nov 23, 2011, 11:25:59 AM11/23/11
On Nov 22, 10:31 pm, magnusfalkirk <dean.pha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually according to this Wikipedia article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Blacksilverit's an
> indirect sequel to Legacy of the Ancients.

Ahh ok, I knew it was the sequel to something. I had forgotten about
Legacy of the Ancients, I own it but never played it.

bloomer_au

Nov 23, 2011, 9:56:45 PM11/23/11
I can advocate 2400 AD from your list. Great fun and accessible.
Probably the only Origin game I cleared on my own without a cluebook,
which is not to say it's easy.

Phantasie III is worth playing for its kinda ridiculous body parts
based combat system. You get messages like 'Frost Giant does 27 damage
to Helena's torso, removing it - she dies.' Also, limbs will be lopped
off your characters, and those limbs will disappear from their status
display graphic.

Wizards Crown, Eternal Dagger and Shards of Spring (you didn't mention
the last) are all related in that they go in for extreme
micromanagement. Like Roadwar 2000, I think all 3 offer 'fast combat'
options where you can let the computer slug out the whole battle
automatically. The lack of a middle ground made them painful to me.

I love Moebius: The Orb of Celestial Harmony, but it depends on
whether you mind the combat being arcadey. Combat is done side-on in
Karateka type sequences.

Likewise, The Immortal and Ancient Land of Ys like Mitchell pointed
out are killer IIGS games with killer scores, though again, actiony.

If you're interested in a text-based horror combat RPG, might I plug
my own 2010 game Leadlight - http://leadlightgame.com

- Wade

vladitx

Nov 24, 2011, 4:55:08 AM11/24/11
The "Empire" trilogy from IF/Edu-Ware had a certain nice touch, but
currently only the first (I: World Builders) is available as image. I
remember having both II (Interstellar Sharks) & III (Armageddon) at a
certain time in my childhood, but today they seem mostly lost.

Perhaps someone could contact David Mullich, as according to this
interview he might still have copies:
http://tleaves.com/weblog/archives/000431.html

Also in older thread Rich has mentioned he has Empire II.
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.emulators.apple2/2006-02/msg00076.html

I think they're both on the Asimov's wanted list, and I do hope they
finally emerge from some kind soul.

wyeo

Nov 25, 2011, 5:49:53 AM11/25/11
On Nov 24, 12:56 pm, bloomer_au <bloo...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> I love Moebius: The Orb of Celestial Harmony, but it depends on
> whether you mind the combat being aricadey. Combat is done side-on in
> Karateka type sequences.

Odd ... nobody mentioned Wind Walker, the sequel to Moebius.

I always enjoyed Below the Root.

thom

Nov 28, 2011, 12:24:11 AM11/28/11

> I always enjoyed Below the Root.

Yes, yes and yes again. Getting close to thirty years later and I
still play through it once every couple of years.

I've never understood why someone hasn't attempted to license the IP
for a remake (although, I shudder to think what might become of it...).

Delfs

Nov 28, 2011, 7:32:05 AM11/28/11
On Nov 27, 11:24 pm, thom <tburrell.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I always enjoyed Below the Root.
> I've never understood why someone hasn't attempted to license the IP
> for a remake (although, I shudder to think what might become of it...).

OMG YES a 3d word of Below the Root! I am thinking pretty much like
the Prince of Persia 3Ds would be very much in line with that. :)
Although for me it is very much more about exploring the world. I
should take a pic of my map, it's 3 ft square, two inches per screen I
think. I am all about mapping challenges. This game was huge and
rendered in hi res. There were so many rooms, you could fly, were in
constant peril from enemies, terrain and fatigue.

LOL, thank you for the inspirational thought for the day.

N.N. Thayer

Nov 30, 2011, 8:04:16 PM11/30/11
On Nov 22, 11:46 am, Tempest <temp...@atariprotos.com> wrote:

> Centauri Alliance

One of my favorites, not only because it's a wonderfully engaging
game, but also because it's a member of that small group of Apple
games released in the late '80s and early '90s that still ran on the ]
[ / ][+. Mostly RPGs and educational titles, plus maybe a few text
adventures that weren't locked into //e-style 80-column mode.

Tempest

Dec 1, 2011, 11:49:23 AM12/1/11
Yeah I was surprised when I saw it only needed 64K, I thought it must
be a typo or something.

Anyone ever play Deathlord? It looks like an Ultima clone, but it
might be a good Ultima clone.

magnusfalkirk

Dec 1, 2011, 1:26:41 PM12/1/11
On Dec 1, 10:49 am, Tempest <temp...@atariprotos.com> wrote:
> Yeah I was surprised when I saw it only needed 64K, I thought it must
> be a typo or something.
>
> Anyone ever play Deathlord?  It looks like an Ultima clone, but it
> might be a good Ultima clone.

Have a copy of Deathlord but haven't played it.

Another game you might want to consider, not really sure if it's an
RPG or not, is SunDog. I'd recommend downloading version 2 from
Asimov. It's an interesting game, I still need to complete it.

Dean

nyder

Dec 29, 2011, 1:55:25 AM12/29/11
Wasteland was always a favorite of mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_%28video_game%29