Announcement : Hi-Res Graphics and Animation Using Assembly Language

Wizard1969

Jul 6, 2022, 7:15:14 PM7/6/22
A better and complete (no missing pages!) new scan of the rare Apple II
programming book, Hi-Res Graphics and Animation Using Assembly Language, has
been uploaded to archive.org

https://tinyurl.com/2fnwn6rr

Enjoy!

magnusfalkirk

Jul 6, 2022, 10:49:45 PM7/6/22
Thank you for this. I did have a copy already but comparing the two, in just the first few pages, this copy is much better than the one I had.
magnus

martindo...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2022, 1:23:02 PM7/13/22
On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 7:15:14 PM UTC-4, Wizard1969 wrote:
> A better and complete (no missing pages!) new scan of the rare Apple II
> programming book, Hi-Res Graphics and Animation Using Assembly Language, has
> been uploaded to archive.org at https://tinyurl.com/2fnwn6rr

NICE job, thank you! There is a book or two I'd like to put online as well but I'm ignorant of the process & equipment needed. Could I ask you to summarize your method? The lower tech, the better (for me).
martin

sc...@alfter.diespammersdie.us

Jul 14, 2022, 1:12:52 PM7/14/22
martin....@undisclosed.com <martindo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NICE job, thank you! There is a book or two I'd like to put online as
> well but I'm ignorant of the process & equipment needed. Could I ask you
> to summarize your method? The lower tech, the better (for me).

I can't speak for the OP, but I can mention what I use to scan books:

https://www.czur.com

I bought an ET16 back when they were first introduced. It had some teething
pains at first, but the latest firmware and software are pretty reliable
now. I just received their newest model, the ET24 Pro, which delivers 50%
more pixels (which I think will bring scans up to around 300 dpi), has some
more flexible page-lighting options, and is supposed to now work with Linux.
Both do some image processing to flatten pages; that bit works really well
as long as the text doesn't get too close to the binding.

Mine were both purchased through Indiegogo at a considerable savings. It
looks like a few ET24 Pros are still available at the cheap rates:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/et24-pro-incomparable-professional-book-scanner/x/6497739#/

The actual scanning process is pretty simple: click a button (or press a
foot pedal) to image facing pages, turn the page, and repeat until done.
The software aligns, crops, and flattens pages, and separates facing pages
into two. It'll do OCR and save the result to a PDF with the text behind
the scanned image.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Wizard1969

Jul 15, 2022, 3:15:29 AM7/15/22
Well, I have two main scanners. A CZUR , the pro one that I use for large or
really precious material. And an Epson FF680-W, which is a sheet fed scanner.

If you don't want to break the book binding and sheet feed , right now the
CZUR is the only option that most people can use. I would honestly say that
it does an OK job doing that but it is very labor intensive and the scans are
mediocre IMHO. It's literally taking a picture from a distance of about a
foot and then trying to straighten the pages with software trickery. It works
some of the time, and some of the time it is less than great. I don't regret
buying the CZUR, it's just not the Utopia that you might think. I broke the
binding on this book and cut the absolute minimum of the edge of the page
with a high quality guillotine page cutter. I plan on having this particular
book wire-bound, as it is much easier to read. Epson FF680-W is probably the
best sheet feeder scanner I have ever used. I can feed it a stack of pages
and it rarely if ever jams. It also scans a stack of old photos excellent.
Be sure to turn on page straightening when using the Epson. I had tons of
music books that I scanned this way, and most musicians will wire bound a
book for easier reading anyway, although to be honest, I threw the books away
after the scan. I rather have an excellent scan that will last forever. This
particular book I did keep after scanning , just in case I missed a page
simply because it is so rare.