mini-FAQ: upgrading TransWarp GS/Zip GS

Frank M. Lin

Jul 14, 1993, 7:27:33 PM7/14/93
I'm still adding stuff. But this is what I have so far.

Mini-FAQ ( frequently asked questions ) for upgrading TransWarp GS/Zip.

Last updated: 7-14-93

:::::::::: disclaimer

Feel free to distribute this anywhere you think it might be of help. If
you have something to add, please mail me first.

I make no gurantee about any of the information provided below. If you
choose to do any part of the upgrade, you are taking the rist. I will
not responsible for anything.

If any information are incorrect and/or misleading, please inform me.
I have tried to make this as accurate as I can.

Information comes from many sources... I merely put them together.
If you would like to be credited in any part, let me know.

you can reach me at:

Compuserve,
GEnie,
America Online,
ProLine with Internet feed,
METAL/FV with Internet feed,
Internet: fm...@netcom.com
OggNet: Capsule, user #6 @ House of Games
Various BBSes: Capsule

:::::::::: common questions & answers

- Where can I get the 32k cache for Transwarp GS from?

LRO Computer Sales (800) ASK-4LRO ( they should have it )
TMS Peripherals does not carry any AE stuff.

It costs about $80. You can also buy it from AE, but prepare
to pay retail.

It requires you to cut two little traces at the back of TWGS.
Cut it _lightly_, it's fairly easy to cut too deep. So just
take it easy.

- Should I buy the Sanyo chips? Or WDC ones?

Sanyo re-engineered the 816, but WDC sells them.

- Where can I purchase the high-speed 65816 from?

The Western Design Center, Inc.
2166 East Brown Road
Mesa, Arizona 85213

(602) 962-4545 voice
(602) 835-6442 fax

Note: someone confirm if 50 cent is enough.

Send a 50 cent SASE ( self addressed, self enveloped ) to WDC
with a little note like "please send me the articles about
upgrading the Transwarp GS".

They _require_ you to have a copy of this article before they
will sell you a high-speed 816. Whether you want to upgrade
a TWGS or Zip. Most of the information applies to the TWGS,
specifically, about GALs, ROM version... etc., but information
about voltage, and the "shmoo plot" sheet is useful for Zip
owners as well.

shmoo plot - the data sheet for each hi-speed 816 you buy.
Each hi-speed 816 is individually tested. All hi-speed 816 are
designed to do 12mhz @ stock 5v. By supplying higher voltage,
your chance of going 12+mhz is increased.

price: should be $95 each. NAUG ( National AppleWorks Users
Group ) members should be able to buy at $71.25 each.
If you're a NAUG member, be sure to ask if they still
honor it.

- what GALs version do I need for my TWGS?

GALs are explained in WDC's required articles.

Basically, you have to have the following GALs to go over
10mhz:

1A, 2B, 3E, 4B, 5A, 6A, 7A, 8B

All TWGS should have the A GALs. So you need:

2B - DMA fix
3E - for above 10mhz operation
4B - dunno ( tell me if you know )
8B - dunno ( tell me if you know )

2B DMA fix was available for free. You need to call AE's
900 number and ask for it. You might need to pay shipping.
Couple of people say it's no longer free. But it's worth
asking though. Hint: be persistent!

- where can I get the GALs?

You can order the GALs only though AE's technical support line.

AE Technical Support
(900) 884-0123
$1.50 per minute
9 AM to 5 PM (CST) Monday through Friday

It's $20 for _each_ GAL you order. Remember, 2B should be
free.

AE Technical Support BBS (214) 241-6677
24 hours, 7 days a week

I would guess the BBS functions the same. But I never called
it before. Anyone tried it before?

- where can I get crystal oscillators?

Digi-Key Corporation
(800) 344-4539 voice
(218) 681-3380 fax

From May-June 1993 catalog:

Epson America, Inc.: 1/2 TTL for TWGS
Part No. Frequency Price ($) TWGS speed
SE1101 32mhz 3.60 8mhz
SE1102 33.3333 3.60 8.3333
SE1103 36 3.60 9
SE1104 40 3.60 10
SE1105 42 3.60 10.5
SE1106 46 3.60 11.5
SE1107 48 3.60 12
SE1108 50 3.60 12.5
SE1109 55 3.60 13.75
SE1110 60 4.35 15

They have new half size oscillators from CTS. Looks like it's
compatible with the above ones. But if you order, you're
responsible to confirm compatability. The only reason I'm
mentioning these new CTS ones is because they have over 60mhz
frequency. Just in case you want to try beyond 15mhz.

CTS Clock Oscillators: 1/2 TTL for TWGS
Part No. Frequency Price ($) TWGS speed
CTX174 32mhz 3.44 8mhz
CTX175 40 3.44 10
CTX176 50 3.44 12.5
CTX177 64 4.70 16
CTX178 66.6666 4.70 16.6667
CTX179 80 10.59 20

Orders under $25 costs $5 to ship. Over $25 is free..

My understanding is that, if you over clock a CPU. It just won't
function. You can't damage it. Is that right? As the disclaimer
said, do it at your own risk.

Zip GS requires... 1/2 TTL or full TTL?

- what speed of static cache RAMs do I need?

I think I've read 35ns is enough for 12.5mhz. Not sure about
the requirement of 13.75mhz or 15mhz. 15ns costs only slightly
more than 20ns, so I recommand getting 15ns.

for TWGS with the 32k cache:
3 - 32k x 8 SRAM .3 mils ( or called half size ) try to get
low-power models if possible.

for Zip you need:
somebody tell me...

- where can I get SRAMs from?

this is where I got mine:

CMC - California Memory & Components, Inc.
356 S. Abbott Ave.
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 956-8291 voice
(408) 956-8584 fax
Monday through Friday 9 AM to 6 PM (PST), Sat. 11 AM to 3 PM

32 x 8 SRAM @ 20ns $6.95 each
32 x 8 SRAM @ 15ns $7.95 each

In case you want 2 - 1mb x 4 DRAM to upgrade your RamFAST rev. D
to 1mb cache.

1mb x 4 DRAM @ 80ns $17.00 each

hmm, another place with lower price:

AMT International
2393 Qume Drive
San Jose, CA 95131
(408) 942-9695 voice
(408) 942-5509 fax
Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM (PST), Sat. 9 AM - 3 PM

32k x 8 SRAM @ 20ns $4.95 each
32k x 8 SRAM @ 15ns $5.00 each

1mb x 4 DRAM @ 80ns $17.00 each

- do I really need to increase the voltage?

You can learn to read your shmoo plot by reading the article
sent by WDC. In my case, I was suppose to supply 4.75v - 5.25v
to run at 12.82mhz, 5.5v - 5.75v for 13.51mhz, and 6v for
14.71mhz.

But I'm suppling 5v @ 13.75mhz, and about 5.2v @ 15mhz. Your
requirement might be different. It's easy to tell if you need
more voltage. If your TWGS doesn't boot, you need a little
voltage. If continuous test fails, you need more voltage, or
possibly faster SRAMs.

- is it true that Zip can only go about 12.5mhz?
- where can I get replacement 7400 for my Zip?

- what kind of performance increase can one expect?

][gs ROM 1, with 4mb RAM
Transwarp GS ROM v1.8s with 32k 15ns cache
GALs - 1A 2B 3E 4B 5A 6A 7A 8B
Dhrystone v1.3 & Benchmark v5.0 under shift-booted System 6 in GNO v1.1b

clock spd 2.8 15 13.75
======= ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
Sieve 410.00 99.90 108.00
String 1151.20 270.40 292.00
Float 1 472.00 92.70 87.00
Float 2 1535.00 317.00 394.00
Fibinacci 2006.00 605.20 634.00
Integer 1553.40 307.40 330.00

Actual mhz 2.8 11.56 10.81

Dhrystone 236 1136 1063

--
frank m. lin
fm...@netcom.com

TAO BRIAN T

Jul 15, 1993, 12:05:34 PM7/15/93
to Frank M. Lin
I have all the parts necessary to upgrade my ZipGS, but I have a
question about the crystal. My ZipGS uses a small, squarish "can" for
the crystal, soldered to the board via two pins. It measures about half
a centimeter on each side. There is a circle silkscreened around the
joints. To its left, there is an empty space on the board for a 14-pin
socket. I assume this is for the larger, 4-pin crystal oscillator.
According to Terry Steeper (the dealer from whom I ordered the upgrade
kit), I need to clip off the old two-pin crystal and solder in a socket
and the new 4-pin crystal. There are also 2 surface-mount capacitors
and 1 resistor (or maybe it was two resistors and one capacitor) located
between the 14-pin socket and the 2-pin crystal. These are extremely
tiny and I'm told I need to desolder these (since they are used in
conjunction with the two-pin crystal). If I'm removing the two-pin
crystal anyway, wouldn't it be safe to leave those three components in?
I don't think I would be able to remove them without damaging the board
or the components around it. Suggestions?
--
Brian Tao:: ta...@io.org (Internex Online, 416-363-3783, 10 lines, v.32bis)
::::::::::: 90ta...@wave.scar.utoronto.ca (University of Toronto, 9T4)

Mark Miller

Jul 15, 1993, 2:15:08 PM7/15/93
In article <CA7r8...@wave.scar.utoronto.ca> 90ta...@wave.scar.utoronto.ca (Brian Tao) writes:
> I have all the parts necessary to upgrade my ZipGS, but I have a
>question about the crystal. My ZipGS uses a small, squarish "can" for
>the crystal, soldered to the board via two pins. It measures about half
>a centimeter on each side. There is a circle silkscreened around the
>joints. To its left, there is an empty space on the board for a 14-pin
>socket. I assume this is for the larger, 4-pin crystal oscillator.
>According to Terry Steeper (the dealer from whom I ordered the upgrade
>kit), I need to clip off the old two-pin crystal and solder in a socket
>and the new 4-pin crystal. There are also 2 surface-mount capacitors
>and 1 resistor (or maybe it was two resistors and one capacitor) located
>between the 14-pin socket and the 2-pin crystal. These are extremely
>tiny and I'm told I need to desolder these (since they are used in
>conjunction with the two-pin crystal). If I'm removing the two-pin
>crystal anyway, wouldn't it be safe to leave those three components in?
>I don't think I would be able to remove them without damaging the board
>or the components around it. Suggestions?

Yes, Brian, you can leave those components in. I have done the exact same
procedure to my ZipGS. It's been working fine for over a year!

When you install your new 4-pin crystal, be aware that it must be placed
near the bottom end of the socket.

Good luck...please send me e-mail if you have any questions!

--
`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`
`,`,`Mark Miller`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`

TAO BRIAN T

Jul 16, 1993, 1:52:00 AM7/16/93
to Mark Miller
In article <mdmCA7...@netcom.com>, Mark Miller writes...

> When you install your new 4-pin crystal, be aware that it must be placed
> near the bottom end of the socket.

Bottom end? This is what the underside of the crystal and the
socket look like:
_____
|-----| ____
|o o| |. .\
|o o| | |
|o o| | |
|o o| | |
|o o| | |
|o o| | |
|o o| |. .|
|-----| \____/

socket crystal

The crystal is the same length of the socket, but only pins 1, 7, 8
and 14 are present. Three corners are rounded and one is "sharp". I'm
told the sharp corner should go in the upper-left corner. Can someone
confirm this? If that's right, Frank should add this to the FAQ.

Joseph Blas

Jul 16, 1993, 3:46:42 PM7/16/93

Yes, there are only four pins and one of them is not used. The
other three are GND, +5v, and the clock output. Looking at the
crystal from the top, the pin assignments would look like this:

____
+5v |. .\ CLK
| |
| |
| |
\.__./ GND

The reason that one of the corners is sharp is to denote the
location of pin 1 on the Crystal. Other common markers to denote pin
one are a dot or dimple. As far as on the circuit board itself, a dot
or a litte 1 often mark the spot. Now, with a socket, usually you can
tell were pin one is by looking for a little semicircle at one end.
The semicircle denotes the top of the socket so pin one would be the
top left pin. BTW, many DIPs have this semicircle also. Here is a
little diagram to show what I mean:

___ ___
pin 1 |. \_/ |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
----------

I realized there is some other info pertinent to add. Generally
for any DIP, the number scheme is as follows: Looking at the top,
pin 1 is in the upper left corner. The numbers increment down the left
side. Then, they increment up the right side. Here is another
diagram:

______
1 |. .| 14
2 |. .| 13
3 |. .| 12
4 |. .| 11
5 |. .| 10
6 |. .| 9
7 |. .| 8
-------

Also, in most cases (MPUs excluded), the power will be the
upper left pin (pin 1) and the ground will be the lower right pin.

Now, with the backgound out of the way... On to your question.
Yes, assuming that the top of the socket is up, the sharp corner of
the crystal would go in the upper left. This is probably the case
but, you should look for the clues I mentioned to be sure. It could
be oriented the other way which would mean pin 1 is in the lower
right.

If anyone has any corrections or additions, feel free to post
them.

Hope this helps,

Joe

--
Joseph W. Blas | "suburbs have no charms |Apple----- ----- ----- -----
bla...@ntmtv.com | to soothe the restless | / / / __ /____

TAO BRIAN T

Jul 17, 1993, 1:34:38 PM7/17/93
to Joseph Blas
In article <1993Jul16.194642.12837@ntmtv>, Joseph Blas writes...

> If anyone has any corrections or additions, feel free to post them.

Thanks, Joe... your instructions are exactly those given to me by
Terry Steeper, so now I'm confident this whole operation will work. :)

Frank, are you getting this down? I'll try the installation next
week and let you all know how it goes.