Introducing the Open Apple podcast

Ken Gagne

Feb 7, 2011, 2:47:14 PM2/7/11
February 7, 2011 -- Mike Maginnis and Ken Gagne, two long-time Apple
II users, are proud to announce the Apple II community's first co-
hosted podcast. "Open Apple", a monthly show dedicated to Steve
Wozniak's most famous personal computer, begins broadcasting today at
http://www.open-apple.net/ with a new episode to come every month.

"When we got home from KansasFest 2010, we didn't want the experience
to end," said Gagne in the show's first episode, referring to the
annual Apple II convention. Added Maginnis, "One of the great things
about the Apple II is the community that surrounds it. Having a
podcast where we can chat with other Apple II users fosters that
community feeling you get at events like KansasFest." In keeping with
that theme, the two co-hosts are joined in their first episode by
KansasFest veteran Andy Molloy, the first of many guests to appear on
Open Apple.

The Apple II was the first personal computer produced by Apple
Computer Inc. after their founding in 1977. More than eight models and
five million units were sold before it was discontinued in 1993.
Nearly two decades later, the computer still enjoys regular releases
of new hardware and software, thanks to the dedication and enthusiasm
of both loyal fans and retrocomputing newcomers.

The Open Apple show aims to spotlight that vibrancy and serve that
community with regular segments that include "II News", a roundup of
the latest Apple II activities and announcements; "Retroviews", a look
back at classic hardware and software; "Apple Pickings", which
spotlights Apple II sales on eBay and Craigslist; and "Name the Game",
an audio trivia challenge in which listeners can win prizes.

"There are plenty of other great retrocomputing podcasts that we enjoy
listening to," said Maginnis, "but none dedicated to the Apple II is
produced on a regular basis, and nothing that consistently features
multiple voices from the community. With this show, Ken and I are
looking forward to keeping in touch with each other and other Apple II
geeks every month."

Mike Maginnis blogs about Apple's pre-Mac computers on his blog,
6502lane.net, and is curator of the Computist Project, for which he
has created and published authorized, high-quality scans of the
classic computing magazine. Ken Gagne is editor and publisher of
Juiced.GS, the Apple II's longest-running print publication, and is
marketing director for the community's annual convention, KansasFest.

The Open Apple podcast is available immediately at http://www.open-apple.net/
where it can be streamed live or downloaded.

Toinet

Feb 7, 2011, 3:27:44 PM2/7/11
Yeah! Welcome! Yeah, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
av

Dan Mc

Feb 8, 2011, 9:35:53 AM2/8/11
Listening to the Open Apple podcast, I found, was quite enjoyable.
The topics of discussion spanned my primary interests and seemed to
shed light on areas that have kept me coming back to the Apple II as
my auxiliary computing platform. With it's feet planted in the past
and in the present, this podcast re-lives A2 history and reviews
current A2 events through its casual and acccessible dialog. My
interest never flagged during the duration and I eagerly, and
greedily, await more episodes. My appitite for the personal Apple II
experiences of others never seems to dull and having such an excellent
new source to hear these discussions is clearly something to be
excited about.

Warren Ernst

Feb 8, 2011, 12:40:29 PM2/8/11

I hope you guys make a habit of announcing new podcasts as they are
available here on the newsgroup. I enjoyed listening to this one.

-Warr

Ken Gagne

Feb 8, 2011, 2:22:34 PM2/8/11
Dan: Wow! I wish I could go back and rewrite our press release with
your elegant and high praise. Thanks so much!

Warren: I don't know that we'll announce every episode, but we do
offer free RSS and email notification (with iTunes and Kindle coming
soon), which are likely to be more reliable.

Thanks for listening!

-Ken

Ken Gagne

Feb 10, 2011, 9:37:34 AM2/10/11
The Open Apple podcast is now available through iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/open-apple/id418895188

bloomer_au

Feb 10, 2011, 8:38:53 PM2/10/11
On Feb 11, 1:37 am, Ken Gagne <kga...@gamebits.net> wrote:
> The Open Apple podcast is now available through iTunes:
>
> http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/open-apple/id418895188

Great news. Getting this now.

- Wade

D Finnigan

Feb 14, 2011, 12:58:20 PM2/14/11
I finally got a chance to listen to this today. I just started, and I must
say, I love the phasing effect on Mike's voice. It makes it sound like he's
coming in from a deep-space transmission. :-)

Mike

Feb 15, 2011, 8:20:19 PM2/15/11

That's better than my usual nasal droning, I guess ;) I'm currently
blaming it on the mic I was using, which has since been upgraded.
Hopefully, episode 2 won't sound as weird.

- Mike
http://apple2scans.net

Michael J. Mahon

Feb 16, 2011, 12:50:12 AM2/16/11

Maybe the result of the left channel being out of phase with the
right channel...

-michael

NadaNet 3.1 for Apple II parallel computing!
Home page: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."