Dead keys on a platinum IIe

A2CPM

Oct 21, 2013, 12:47:32 AM10/21/13
Hi!

Three keys on a platinum IIe in the basement have gone dead since I last used it many months ago. This is the first time I've had keys go dead on a platinum IIe. I've had it happen on older models but exercising the keys have almost always brought a dead key back to life. Not on this platinum IIe. Help!?!

Willi

insa...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2013, 4:57:33 AM11/14/13
You can test for continuity of the keyswitch in question by using an analog multimeter in ohms mode and looking for the needle to go up. If you use a DMM then you put it on alarm mode to do the same thing. If there is no continuity then you must desolder the keyswitch and then you must either clean the contacts inside or replace the keyswitch. When I got my platinum iie, it had around 18 dead keys and it took hours of work for me to fix it, not to mention using retr0brite on the keycaps. So, you have to take the iie's case apart, disconnect the keyboard from the motherboard and do your tests. If after putting the keyswitch back together, the key still does not work, then check for continuity again. If there is continuity then there is something wrong with the motherboard, possibly the keyboard ROM chip.

A2CPM

Nov 15, 2013, 5:37:44 AM11/15/13
Hi!

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:57:33 AM UTC-5, insa...@gmail.com wrote:
> You can test for continuity of the keyswitch in question by using an analog

Thanks for the response!!! Thanks also to the first individual who responded via private email as I could not give thanks privately due to being given an invalid email address.

Willi