FASTARC: A generalization of FASTCIRC

Michael J. Mahon

Dec 5, 2022, 5:48:49 PM12/5/22
Wouldn’t you know? Shortly after releasing FASTCIRC, a subroutine for
plotting HGR circles faster than you can say “cir…”, I realized that it
could be easily generalized to draw arcs of any length (0..64, where 0 is a
single point and 64 is a full circle) and any starting angle (0..63).

I also noticed that arcs are useful in many more cases than circles—like
rounded rectangles, for example. And, of course, a circle is just a special
case of an arc, so I’m superseding FASTCIRC with FASTARC, now available on
my website. (FASTCIRC will remain available, though it is now
“deprecated”.)

FASTARC has two entry points: FASTARC, for full generality, and FASTCIRC,
for convenient circles without the Start and Length parameters. It now
contains a more robust self-relocater.

As usual, there’s a full description, a Merlin listing, and a disk image
(.PO!) for download, containing Merlin source and several demo programs.

Oliver Schmidt

Dec 5, 2022, 6:46:03 PM12/5/22
> disk image (.PO!)

;-))

mmphosis

Dec 7, 2022, 12:24:01 PM12/7/22
Oliver Schmidt wrote:
>> disk image (.PO!)
>
> ;-))

I renamed the file to FASTARC.po
so that KEGS 1.11 was able to boot it.

Michael J. Mahon

Dec 7, 2022, 2:54:20 PM12/7/22
You mean that .po is acceptable but .PO is not?
That’s wierd.

How did you like it? ;-)

mmphosis

Dec 7, 2022, 10:06:54 PM12/7/22
Michael J. Mahon wrote:
> mmphosis <mmph...@macgui.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ;-))
>>>
>> I renamed the file to FASTARC.po
>> so that KEGS 1.11 was able to boot it.
>>

> You mean that .po is acceptable but .PO is not?
> That’s wierd.
>
> How did you like it? ;-)

Linux file systems are case sensitive. :(

It works really well, and much more flexible being able to draw arcs. I was
really impressed with the drawing speed in the demos.

Michael J. Mahon

Dec 14, 2022, 3:37:20 AM12/14/22
Thank you! It was fun to provide a tool that I wished I had years ago!!

Kent Dickey

Mar 13, 2023, 2:48:07 PM3/13/23
In article <mmphosis-...@macgui.com>,
Yeah, that was a Linux-only bug in KEGS, fixed in KEGS 1.19. Linux always
has case-sensitive filesystems, and KEGS was using the wrong subroutine
to check for ".po" extension, so it ignored case on Mac, but not on Linux.

Kent