CiderPress Format Docs index

fadden

May 15, 2023, 12:57:52 PM5/15/23
One of the less-obvious aspects of the CiderPress II project is the inclusion of a significant amount of documentation. There's about 6500 lines of text documents in Markdown format (~110 pages if you printed it at 60 lines/page). While a lot of that is documentation for the application and its source code, much of it describes the formats of file archives, disk images, and file formats.

These started because, as I was writing the code to support the various things, I wanted "cheat sheets" so I didn't have to go running back to Beneath Apple ProDOS every time I needed to decipher a directory hex dump. Over time I added notes on the ways that "real world" files differ from the specification, as well as clarifications on various aspects (e.g. I'm somewhat obsessed with figuring out which character set to use).

In some cases these are very brief, in others (e.g. HFS) they go on at some length. They generally start with references to "authoritative" documents should you wish a more thorough explanation.

These files are scattered through the source tree, e.g. the ProDOS notes sit next to the ProDOS implementation. This is inconvenient, so I threw together an index here:

https://ciderpress2.com/doc-index.html

The page is just a collection of links to the documentation in the github repository. github does a pretty good job of formatting Markdown. And if you want to look at the associated code, you're already in the right place. :-)

Oliver Schmidt

May 16, 2023, 6:02:24 PM5/16/23

> https://ciderpress2.com/doc-index.html

In
https://github.com/fadden/CiderPress2/blob/main/FileConv/Gfx/DoubleHiRes-notes.md#format
You write:

"The first half holds the main RAM portion, the second half holds the aux
RAM portion."

However from what I know, it's just the other around.

Regards,
Oliver

fadden

May 16, 2023, 6:18:34 PM5/16/23
On Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 3:02:24 PM UTC-7, Oliver Schmidt wrote:
> "The first half holds the main RAM portion, the second half holds the aux
> RAM portion."
>
> However from what I know, it's just the other around.

The file type note for $08/0000 agrees with you. I've updated the doc. Thanks for pointing this out.

(I usually catch these things when writing the code, but I haven't written the DHR converter yet.)