8 bytes

vi...@pianoman.cluster.toy

Mar 9, 2023, 11:05:02 PM3/9/23
CALL -151
B8: 2C EA 20 F4 F3 20 D8 F3
B8G

fadden

Mar 10, 2023, 11:17:04 AM3/10/23
Cute. :-)

(Note: requires Applesoft.)

Could have skipped B8/B9 and started with BDG, though that probably makes the patterns less interesting. (You probably want BDG anyway, or it won't work on a IIgs.)

vi...@pianoman.cluster.toy

Mar 10, 2023, 1:22:56 PM3/10/23
On 2023-03-10, fadden <thef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Note: requires Applesoft.)

yes, most of my sizecoding stuff requires Applesoft because there's a lot
of useful graphics routines in the ROMs. I don't always remember to
specify as I personally don't come across pre-II+ machines that often.

> Could have skipped B8/B9 and started with BDG, though that probably
> makes the patterns less interesting. (You probably want BDG anyway,
> or it won't work on a IIgs.)

I didn't think to check on a 65c816, I mostly just checked that the unused
opcode was harmless on a 6502 and 65c02. I guess that's the issue on a IIgs?

I start with B8G as this was a demoscene-style entry and they expect the
program to be runnable from a disk with BRUN. It was a bit extra effort
to find a way to have it fit in 8 bytes but also start execution at
the load address.

Vince

fadden

Mar 10, 2023, 9:57:07 PM3/10/23
On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 10:22:56 AM UTC-8, vi...@pianoman.cluster.toy wrote:
> I didn't think to check on a 65c816, I mostly just checked that the unused
> opcode was harmless on a 6502 and 65c02. I guess that's the issue on a IIgs?

$F4 is PEA, which is harmless enough for what you're doing, but it's a 3-byte instruction.