Robotron with 2 joysticks

Nick Westgate

Sep 3, 2017, 4:25:36 PM9/3/17
Hi guys.

I was never quite satisfied with the Apple port of Robotron, though it was a great version, so I added support for two joystick play as per the arcade original.

At the same time I added support for Alex's ("Lukazi") digital joystick 4play card.

Also, since the author's name was missing from the original, I added that to the title page.

I call this mod 4JOY because it offers 4 modes of joystick play. It was demonstrated at OzKFest, and there's a pic of the setup in this archive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3JBd-TShLlLbldncTJmcHh2NWM

Cheers,
Nick.

Antoine Vignau

Sep 3, 2017, 4:56:13 PM9/3/17
Thank you, Nick!
av

Lukazi

Sep 5, 2017, 8:02:25 PM9/5/17
I'm still impressed that you did not have a 4play card to test with and yet your code worked like a treat first go. Great work Nick.

Cheers,
Alex.

Alex Lee

Sep 7, 2017, 5:46:18 AM9/7/17
Nice work indeed!

- Alex

Nick Westgate

Sep 13, 2017, 2:10:00 AM9/13/17
On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 12:02:25 UTC+12, Lukazi wrote:
> I'm still impressed that you did not have a 4play card to test with and yet your code worked like a treat first go. Great work Nick.

Heh, well as you know I just cheated by emulating the 4play card! ; - )

Cheers,
Nick.

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Sep 16, 2017, 6:45:56 PM9/16/17
On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 1:25:36 PM UTC-7, Nick Westgate wrote:
> I was never quite satisfied with the Apple port of Robotron, though it was a great version, so I added support for two joystick play as per the arcade original.

Nice work Nick !

Your sources available on GitHub ?

Nick Westgate

Sep 22, 2017, 8:34:01 PM9/22/17
On Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:45:56 UTC+12, Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev' wrote:
> Your sources available on GitHub ?

No, it's mostly hand assembled patches to an annotated partial disassembly.

But here's another archive with the disk image and just the source file for the joystick routines.
https://goo.gl/UsSNuM

Oh! And I forgot to mention above that I added thumbstick support to AppleWin so you can play this with two thumbsticks on a modern PC gamepad such as the Logitech F310!

Cheers,
Nick.

tir_n...@yahoo.com

Mar 9, 2018, 1:51:01 PM3/9/18
how do you play this with two thumbsticks ? I got your zip of Robotron, but it will only let me move with the left thumbstick. The right thumbstick does nothing.

Nick Westgate

Mar 10, 2018, 4:37:22 AM3/10/18
On Saturday, 10 March 2018 07:51:01 UTC+13, tir_n...@yahoo.com wrote:
> how do you play this with two thumbsticks ?

You need to use a recent version of AppleWin and select the thumbsticks in the joystick config.

Cheers,
Nick.

Melody Ayres-Griffiths

Mar 14, 2018, 4:24:49 AM3/14/18
It also works in microM8 now in the testing build (which you can download if you start up microM8 with the -testing flag) for people who aren't on Windows and can't use AppleWin...

Thanks Nick =) Your patch makes Robotron much more fun!

Nick Westgate

Mar 14, 2018, 5:33:14 AM3/14/18
On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 21:24:49 UTC+13, Melody Ayres-Griffiths wrote:
> It also works in microM8 now in the testing build (which you can download if you start up microM8 with the -testing flag) for people who aren't on Windows and can't use AppleWin...

Great! Nice one Melody, I'll check it out soon. (After moving house...)

> Thanks Nick =) Your patch makes Robotron much more fun!

Thanks. I'm still puzzled as to why the original version left this out.

Cheers,
Nick.

tir_n...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2018, 11:56:47 AM3/14/18
I got it working. Thanks. I LOVE this game...