Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

This is a test

57 views
Skip to first unread message

none Scott Alfter

unread,
Dec 18, 2023, 4:59:57 PM12/18/23
to
Just testing to see if this trn installation sets my email address on send.

D Finnigan

unread,
Dec 18, 2023, 10:50:24 PM12/18/23
to
none wrote:
> Just testing to see if this trn installation sets my email address on
> send.
>

Scott, you're lucky we're a friendly group, otherwise someone would come
around and annihilate you with the photon torpedoes for posting a test
message outside of a designated testing newsgroup.

:-P

Scott Hemphill

unread,
Dec 19, 2023, 1:56:00 PM12/19/23
to
Another friendly response might be: "Your test failed--it showed up in
the wrong newsgroup."

However, I'd like to point out that the OP's From: address has an invalid
syntax. Instead of a top-level domain of "(none)", he should use
"invalid". I believe that is in an eternal-september FAQ.

Scott
--
Scott Hemphill hemp...@alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

sc...@alfter.diespammersdie.us

unread,
Dec 21, 2023, 1:42:07 AM12/21/23
to
Scott Hemphill <hemp...@hemphills.net> wrote:
> D Finnigan <dog...@macgui.com> writes:
>
>> none wrote:
>>> Just testing to see if this trn installation sets my email address on
>>> send.
>>>
>>
>> Scott, you're lucky we're a friendly group, otherwise someone would come
>> around and annihilate you with the photon torpedoes for posting a test
>> message outside of a designated testing newsgroup.
>
> Another friendly response might be: "Your test failed--it showed up in
> the wrong newsgroup."
>
> However, I'd like to point out that the OP's From: address has an invalid
> syntax. Instead of a top-level domain of "(none)", he should use
> "invalid". I believe that is in an eternal-september FAQ.

Those email-address formatting issues are what I was trying to resolve. trn
lets you override much of its configuration with environment variables, but
what shows up in the From: line isn't one of them AFAICT. It appears to be
built in at compile time. If you add a From: line when editing a message,
it appears to be left alone, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Falling back to tin in the meantime...

--
_/_
/ v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail)
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Scott Alfter

unread,
Dec 21, 2023, 1:59:24 PM12/21/23
to
In article <87cyv21...@diamond.home>,
Scott Hemphill <hemp...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>However, I'd like to point out that the OP's From: address has an invalid
>syntax. Instead of a top-level domain of "(none)", he should use
>"invalid". I believe that is in an eternal-september FAQ.

It should be fixed in trn now. It's running in a Docker container now, and
I've wrangled its build system.
0 new messages