Apple II Usergroups

Shawn Beattie

Jun 4, 1993, 10:14:48 AM6/4/93
What are the major Apple II user groups left out there? According
to Apple's user group newsletter, only about 10% (maybe less) are
Apple II only. (The rest are Mac or Mac-diluted)

Our local user group is Apple II only, with about 50 members, and I
suspect that we're one of the larger II-only groups left.

Just curious

-sbe...@crash.cts.com-

Jonathan L Cooper

Jun 4, 1993, 12:00:34 PM6/4/93
well, i'm in the appleachian user group, and i don't know what the
official active member count is, but there are usually only around 10
people who show up for meetings on a regular basis. it's a II only group,
and i understand that they formed back when apple II meant _the_ apple
II. :)

most members tend to be either under 30 or over 60, for some reason.

Jonathan Cooper | If all the world's a stage,
jlco...@sacam.oren.ortn.edu | what am I doing in the
jon.c...@lambada.oit.unc.edu | light booth?
cz...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu |

Jeffrey Smoot

Jun 4, 1993, 12:56:26 PM6/4/93
We have two apple user groups in the Columbus area. COACH (central ohio apple
computer hobbyists) is an apple ii/mac group, mostly apple ii as there are a
number of mac-specific groups. The other is Apple.GS.Columbus which is
GS-specific. We have about 40 paid members now with less than a dozen who may
show at meetings.

Jeffrey Smoot
Apple.GS.Columbus librarian

Jack Mortimer - K31

Jun 4, 1993, 1:07:22 PM6/4/93
I belong to one that is apple ][ only. It is called NOVAPPLE which stands
for Northern Virginia Apple users group. POC is Dave Harvey who can be
reached at dave...@pro-novapple.cts.com
Also, Washington Apple Pi, Ltd. is still a pretty big user group
but they have lots of members who use that "other" machine.
Jack

Mauricio Tavares

Jun 6, 1993, 2:34:19 PM6/6/93

I can't say I am as lucky as you people -- the Apple II users group that existed here went belly up last December... :(

Mike Ungerman

Jun 5, 1993, 12:53:53 PM6/5/93
The Apple Tree of Central Florida has about 60 dues paying members. Only
about 20 usually show up for meetings.

Mike
-------------
Mike Ungerman
pro-magic:a Proline BBS, Orlando, Fl
Internet: mi...@pro-magic.oau.org
Voice: 407-366-5840 | Prodigy: JSNP58A | Compuserve: 71326,31

Joe Citro

Jun 8, 1993, 1:59:58 PM6/8/93
We have an Apple II only user group here in the Omaha Nebraska/Council
Bluffs Ia metro area. The Metro Apple Computer Hobbyist group. It was
established in 1979 (although it wasn't entirely and Apple group then)
We have 50 paid members and about 20 stragglers who only show up
occassionally.

--
Joe Citro - CMSgt(Ret)/USAF
Newsletter Editor - Metro Apple Comp.Hobbyist (MACH) - Omaha NE Members of "The Dead Computer Society"

Joe Kohn

Jun 8, 1993, 6:20:00 PM6/8/93

Here's some particulars about the GravenStein Apple IIGS User Group.

Our official address is:
GSAUG
PO Box 964
Petaluma, CA 94953-0964

I'm the Vice-President, and in that capacity, am responsible for all the
demos and for the technical training sessions. If you were a developer and
wanted to demo your product, you could get in tough with...

Joe Kohn
166 Alpine St
San Rafael, CA 94901

Or, of course, online at jo...@well.sf.ca.us, jo...@aol.com,
7670...@compuserve.com, or on GEnie as J.KOHN

Newsletter exchanges should be address to our editor:

Janet Mobley
227 Keller St
Petaluma, CA

I don;t have Janet's Zip code. Sorry.

In case anyone was curious, GravenStein is the name of a locally grown
Apple.

---Joe Kohn

Brian Tao

Jun 8, 1993, 2:55:36 AM6/8/93
to Shawn Beattie
In article <sbeattie....@crash.cts.com>, Shawn Beattie writes...

> What are the major Apple II user groups left out there? According
> to Apple's user group newsletter, only about 10% (maybe less) are
> Apple II only. (The rest are Mac or Mac-diluted)

BAAUG sounds like they have a very large Apple II contingent there
(anyone from BAAUG reading this?) LOGIC, the Toronto Apple UG, has 300+
members split almost evenly between Apple II and Mac (some having both
types). We usually get between 25 to over 50 people to our monthly
Apple II meetings.

Any non-North American UG people here? Like I said in a different
message, I'd like to get a FAQ started for csa2.ug. A major component
should be a listing of Apple/Apple II user groups with name, address,
phone number and contact person. I'll try to get the official Apple UG
database and start weeding out the Mac clubs. ;-)
--
Brian Tao:: ta...@r-node.hub.org (r-Node BBS, 416-249-5366, FREE!)
::::::::::: 90ta...@wave.scar.utoronto.ca (University of Toronto)

Brian Tao

Jun 8, 1993, 2:59:18 AM6/8/93
to Jonathan L Cooper
In article <1993Jun4.1...@ornl.gov>, Jonathan L Cooper writes...

> well, i'm in the appleachian user group, and i don't know what the
> official active member count is, but there are usually only around 10
> people who show up for meetings on a regular basis. it's a II only
> group, and i understand that they formed back when apple II meant _the_
> apple II. :)
>
> most members tend to be either under 30 or over 60, for some reason.

Same with us (I belong in the "under 30" group... ;-) What do you
guys do for meetings? I find the most difficult part is getting
volunteers to do a presentation each month. Although I know a couple of
our members can keep going up each time, I'd rather not have the same
faces show up at the front of the room every month. Participation by
members is probably a big problem for all user groups. Comments?

David Empson

Jun 9, 1993, 4:58:44 AM6/9/93
In article <C8C1A...@r-node.hub.org> ta...@r-node.hub.org writes:

> Any non-North American UG people here? Like I said in a different
> message, I'd like to get a FAQ started for csa2.ug. A major component
> should be a listing of Apple/Apple II user groups with name, address,
> phone number and contact person. I'll try to get the official Apple UG
> database and start weeding out the Mac clubs. ;-)

I'm a member of the Wellington Apple Users Group, Inc. (Wellington, New
Zealand) - WAUG for short. [BTW, "Inc." means "Incorporated Society" -
we are non-commercial.]

This year, I'm holding the posts of Secretary, BBS Sysop, and Apple
IIgs Public Domain Librarian.

We started in 1984 with about 100 Apple II members (I was a founding
member), and have gradually migrated towards Macintosh users. I don't
have current membership figures (we're just going through the annual
renewal period) but I believe we have about 300 members, including 80
or so Apple II (some of whom also have a Mac).

The majority of our membership live in the Wellington area, but we do
have quite a few members from around New Zealand, and a small number
outside the country.

WAUG can be contacted at the following address:

The Secretary
Wellington Apple Users Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 6642
Wellington
NEW ZEALAND

Our BBS (WAUG Shorts) is available 24 hours a day (but is rather
heavily used). It is open to all members of WAUG, and members of
other Apple user groups are welcome to dial in.

Unfortunately, the majority of our Apple II members are a quiet bunch,
and don't have modems, so our BBS is mainly Macintosh oriented. It
is, however, running on an Apple IIgs, using software originally
written by another WAUG member and more recently by me.

The BBS telephone number (international format) is +64-4-567-1205.

The BBS is not networked in any fashion. If someone would hurry up
and release a version of UUCP for the IIgs, I'd be interested in adding
support for Internet E-Mail connections.

We don't have a central office - the only contact number I could give
would be the home telephone number of the various officers.
--
David Empson
dem...@swell.actrix.gen.nz

Jeanne Chappell

Jun 9, 1993, 7:18:15 AM6/9/93
In the Kansas City area we have the Apple Bits Users Group (ABUG) which is
Apple II only. We usually have 25+ people at our meetings. We are now
working on meeting at a new location in hopes that more people will come
(where we meet now isn't in the best part of town but it is FREE and the
setup is great - overhead monitors + individual monitors at seats)

We have created lots of smaller, none board member jobs. These people do
come to our board meeting.

One thing we do that you may find interesting. We have cut down our
newsletter and have what we call "In One Place". Information that in
the past would go into a newsletter - be read - filed away - never seen
again is now issued "In One Place". We have a person in charge of "In One
Place". Each meeting you present a special card to the In One Place person
and he gives you copies of info for that monthe (Disk-of-Month description
sheet each month + any other info we think would be of interest to members)
The member than files this info in a notebook and all info is then
IN ONE PLACE.

Also as mentioned above, we issue a sheet each month that tells all of the
programs on that months disk-of-the-month (DOM) with a description of each
program and how to use the program. We find this much more useful than
in the past where we just had a catalog of the DOMs.

If anyone wants more info about the above, I would be glad to give it to you.

Anything diff anyone else is doing????????

Jeanne
ABUG

Jeanne Chappell | Apple II Forever
Internet: jcha...@nyx.cs.du.edu | and ever and ever...

Curt Dox

Jun 9, 1993, 3:17:42 AM6/9/93

Belly up?? Oh No!!!

Thats easy to fix.. You CAN start your own.

What I did here about 2 years ago was announce that I wanted to start a
programming group (IPG). After the third try at holding a 'first' meeting
I finally got enough people interested and finally held regular meetings.
We continue to have monthly meetings on the last saturday.

Because it was mentioned that "we weren't doing 'anything' and that we may
as well be a user group", myself and another member (of IPG) decided to
start a (seperate) user group.

We held ONE organizational meeting which was announced and mostly IPG
members attended though anyone was welcome. From that meeting we decided a
name and meeting place and focus. A friend and I then took a day to set-up
a special checking account which I deposited $200 to start it out, for
safety we made two signatures required. I also rented a mailbox at
'Mailbox Etc' and bought business cards with our UG name, mailbox address
and logo, to be used as membership cards. After the first real meeting of
the user group, we got a newsletter ready to mail out for the next month-
we decided to meet Bimonthly and send the newsletter out when we don't
have a meeting.
Although it is possible to create a newsletter on the GS, my friend
wouldn't stand for it- he says "use the right tool for the job" which is a
Mac (Ugh! heh). Our newsletter is laid out on a Mac, original copy made on
a 600dpi laserjet printer and further xerox copies sent to members.
We still have a little trouble finding articles but have steadily improved
from the first issue.

It really IS *that easy... Good Luck Mauricio! If you need further help,
I'm sure users here can answer questions and give ideas- post away!

(BTW: The User group I helped start is called Apple Two Of Minnesota)
/ tiger...@pro-ragstock.cts.com \ IPG ATOM AII BRCC GS+ SDGS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
"Its up to you guys to do what you did with the Apple IIGS, which is |
prove to people that what can't be done can be done." -Bill Heineman |

Michael C Tiernan

Jun 10, 1993, 7:52:26 AM6/10/93
I'll suggest that we all might want to provide info about our
user groups in a common format, something on the idea of:
NAME:
ESTABLISHED:
NUMBER OF MEMBERS:
AREA COVERED:
NEWSLETTER:
I don't know it's right but it's a start. Then someone could
compile them together (I'd be willing to do the cut and paste)
to make a real list.

To toss our hat into the fray, here's two.

NAME: The Boston Computer Society (BCS)
Established: 1978
Number of members: 25,000 total
(800+/- Apple II only)
Area: Worldwide (40 countries I think)
Newsletter: List is published in main newsletter.
(AII - Apple Press, Monthly)

NAME: The New England Apple Tree (NEAT)
Established: 1979 (?)
Number: 80
Area: New England/Boston
Newsletter: Monthly - NEAT Notes
--
<< MCT >> mtie...@world.std.com
Michael C Tiernan. GEnie: M.Tiernan

Joe Kohn

Jun 10, 1993, 11:56:16 AM6/10/93

Well, as far as Apple II User Groups go, I just recently got a disk from
Phil Shapiro of Balloons Software that has an AW word processing file on it
that lists about 50 (or more) editors of Apple II user group newsletters.

It's about a 30K file. Should I just go ahead and post it here?

Joe Kohn

(It's not complete, but, maybe we can complete it?)

Jeffrey Smoot

Jun 10, 1993, 1:08:05 PM6/10/93
I don't think our members are buying much software anymore, so no one seems to
have anything to present. I try to compile a disk of the month so that SOMETHING
gets demonstrated. We also give away a disk of PD/shareware/freeware (as a disk
swap i.e. members bring a blank to exchange or copy) as a reward for just showing
up. Still it's pretty much the same people. Has anyone tried to get on a local
cable access channel?

Jeffrey Smoot
Apple.GS.Columbus

Joe Kohn

Jun 10, 1993, 1:34:45 PM6/10/93

My observations are just the opposite than Jeffrey Smoot's. To me, it seems
as if our user group members have money burning a hole in their pocket, and
will buy just about anything new they can get their hands on.

A little while back, we had Jason Anderson of DreamWorld come by and demo
DreamGrafix. I told Jason that he should bring a huge box of DG, as he'd be
able to sell everything he brought. He didn;t believe me, so only brought 10
or 15 copies.

When Tim Meekins came by to demo SwitchIt, at least 13 people bought it on
the spot.

For that matter, when Kenrick Mock came by and demo'ed his shareware, he
made copies available to people for the shareware fee of $10. Honestly and
truly, there was a line of people waiting to give Kenrick money.

I missed last month's demo, where Andy McFadden demo'ed HardPressed, but I'd
be willing to bet that on Monday AM, after the demo, the phones were ringing
off the hook at WestCode.

On a similar subject, I took an unofficial poll of user group members after
Apple Expo West, and the average person spent $200-$300 at that show.

I realize that by living in the SF Bay Area that I can get all these
programmers to come and demo, because they live here. But...if you're going
to do a demo of anything, get in touch with the company first, tell them
what you're going to demo, and work out a deal where they'll offer a
discount to those who attend the meetings.

Joe Kohn

Jeffrey Smoot

Jun 10, 1993, 3:44:55 PM6/10/93
In article <C8F25...@well.sf.ca.us>, jo...@well.sf.ca.us (Joe Kohn) writes:

|> I realize that by living in the SF Bay Area that I can get all these
|> programmers to come and demo, because they live here. But...if you're going
|> to do a demo of anything, get in touch with the company first, tell them
|> what you're going to demo, and work out a deal where they'll offer a
|> discount to those who attend the meetings.
|>
|> Joe Kohn

Well, I believe our members have the money and yes I think you do have the
advantage ;) and a larger in situ membership to draw from. My point was that
even GIVING software away doesn't bring'em in and good programming like DG isn't
coming along fast enough. That's not a gripe, just a composite sort of statement
from members who have gradually moved to the Mac.

--Jeff

Jeanne Chappell

Jun 10, 1993, 8:45:24 PM6/10/93
In article <C8F25...@well.sf.ca.us> jo...@well.sf.ca.us (Joe Kohn) writes:

>My observations are just the opposite than Jeffrey Smoot's. To me, it seems
>as if our user group members have money burning a hole in their pocket, and
>will buy just about anything new they can get their hands on.
>
>A little while back, we had Jason Anderson of DreamWorld come by and demo
>DreamGrafix. I told Jason that he should bring a huge box of DG, as he'd be
>able to sell everything he brought. He didn;t believe me, so only brought 10
>or 15 copies.
>
>When Tim Meekins came by to demo SwitchIt, at least 13 people bought it on
>the spot.
>
>For that matter, when Kenrick Mock came by and demo'ed his shareware, he
>made copies available to people for the shareware fee of $10. Honestly and
>truly, there was a line of people waiting to give Kenrick money.
>
>I missed last month's demo, where Andy McFadden demo'ed HardPressed, but I'd
>be willing to bet that on Monday AM, after the demo, the phones were ringing
>off the hook at WestCode.

You make me jealous - I keep up on all of the latest IIGS software - but I
am the one that *gets* to demo them at the meetings. It would be great to
have the programmer demoing - also you probably get to see the demos before
they are released!

>discount to those who attend the meetings.

It's pretty hard to work out a discount - we have found we can not offer
any better deal than mail orders!

I am surprised to find how many //e, //c people we are getting at our
meetings. They are not so excited about the new IIGS software that's out.
We have found we have to do some //e, //c stuff at each meeting so we will
not lose these people - that usually means rehashing old software.

Jeanne
{

Joe Kohn

Jun 11, 1993, 10:57:28 AM6/11/93

Jeanne Chappell - I ran for the VP position, because in my group
(GravenStein), it's the VP who is in charge of setting up demos and in
charge of the training sessions. It's my way of sharing my expertise with my
neighbors, and using my connections to help my local friends.

Generally, when I do a product demo, I contact the company and tell them of
the demo. Generally, they'll send along some promotional materials, and
quite often, will make a 'special user group price' available to those who
attended the demo. Off-hand, I can't think of any company that hasn't given
assistance in setting up the demo.

I see your domain is in Denver. Thinking about it, you could get Randy
Brandt to come give a demo on UltraMacros, Jawaid to give a demo on
Procyon's software, Joseph A from Sequential Systems to talk about their
many products, or even Lance Taylor Warren to talk about GBBS. Off the top
of my head, they all reside in the Denver area. You could even try to coax
jason Harper to come visit and demo SuperConvert. And, I'm sure there are
other Apple II developers who live in your area, too.

Joe Kohn

Brian Tao

Jun 11, 1993, 9:18:55 AM6/11/93
to David Empson
In article <1993Jun9....@actrix.gen.nz>, David Empson writes...

> I'm a member of the Wellington Apple Users Group, Inc. (Wellington, New
> Zealand) - WAUG for short. [BTW, "Inc." means "Incorporated Society" -
> we are non-commercial.]

All information saved for whoever is taking care of the FAQ. Any
nominations out there? :)

> The BBS is not networked in any fashion. If someone would hurry up
> and release a version of UUCP for the IIgs, I'd be interested in adding
> support for Internet E-Mail connections.

Greg B. apparently has a UUCP gateway working for METAL. I don't
know if you want to bother switching over to METAL/FV, but it's worth a
look.

Brian Tao

Jun 11, 1993, 9:22:42 AM6/11/93
to Jeanne Chappell
In article <1993Jun9.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, Jeanne Chappell writes...

> In the Kansas City area we have the Apple Bits Users Group (ABUG) which
> is Apple II only. We usually have 25+ people at our meetings. We are
> now working on meeting at a new location in hopes that more people will
> come (where we meet now isn't in the best part of town but it is FREE
> and the setup is great - overhead monitors + individual monitors at
> seats)

What? Each seat has its own monitor connected to the computer up at
the front?!? How did you guys manage to get *that* for free?!? ;-) I
think pay $150/month to rent a banquet room at a library (2x2.5-hour
meetings a month) and the adjoining locker room (to store the computers,
newsletters, disks, etc.) The place is basically a stage with a
pulldown screen (we supply our own overhead projector) and lots of
chairs. The place isn't even carpeted. ;-) We are currently looking
for a free (or cheaper) solution, since we already spend $1650 during
the 11 months that we meet for room rental.

> We have created lots of smaller, none board member jobs. These people do
> come to our board meeting.

Are your board/executive meetings open to the general membership?
Our Board of Director's meetings are "closed-door", but I'm afraid
nothing would ever get done if we let everyone else in on it (we don't
get enough done as it is!) I hope the minutes of each meeting as
published in our newsletter is satisfactory.

> The member than files this info in a notebook and all info is then
> IN ONE PLACE.

Interesting idea to consider... maybe we should three-hole punch our
newsletters and sell custom-made "Maple Orchard" binders to safekeep
back issues. I'll ask Beta Reproductions if it costs any extra to use
punched paper.

> Also as mentioned above, we issue a sheet each month that tells all of the
> programs on that months disk-of-the-month (DOM) with a description of each
> program and how to use the program.

Our Apple II librarians publish descriptions of new disks every
month, but they never single out a particularly good disk. Maybe we
should start doing that (disk sales have been rather poor lately). Take
10 minutes or so at the beginning of each meeting to demo the new
software and then take orders afterwards. ;-)

Brian Tao

Jun 11, 1993, 9:33:24 AM6/11/93
to Curt Dox
In article <f90...@pro-ragstock.cts.com>, Curt Dox writes...

> We still have a little trouble finding articles but have steadily
> improved from the first issue.

If you get enough of your own original articles, you can contact
other Apple II user groups for a newsletter exchange. I think most
Apple II UG's allow you to reprint their articles without prior written
consent as long as you credit the original author and source.

Brian Tao

Jun 11, 1993, 9:36:16 AM6/11/93
to Michael C Tiernan
In article <C8EM...@world.std.com>, Michael C Tiernan writes...

> I'll suggest that we all might want to provide info about our
> user groups in a common format, something on the idea of:
> NAME:
> ESTABLISHED:
> NUMBER OF MEMBERS:
> AREA COVERED:
> NEWSLETTER:

We also need mailing address, contact person and phone number if
possible. An e-mail address (for those with Proline BBS's) would be a
bonus too. I think for the purposes of the FAQ listing, only the data
pertinent to the Apple II should be listed first. We could have a
NOTES: section with additional information on the UG.

Brian Tao

Jun 11, 1993, 9:40:51 AM6/11/93
to Joe Kohn
In article <C8F25...@well.sf.ca.us>, Joe Kohn writes...

> I realize that by living in the SF Bay Area that I can get all these
> programmers to come and demo, because they live here.

Must be nice, Joe. :) How many Apple II members do you guys have
anyway? How many show up to the meetings? Will Tim, Jason, Kenrick,
etc. fly up to Toronto for a few meetings? ;-)

> But...if you're going to do a demo of anything, get in touch with the
> company first, tell them what you're going to demo, and work out a deal
> where they'll offer a discount to those who attend the meetings.

This reminds of me of another point that should be included in the
FAQ. Anyone have information on the various Beagle Buddy-type programs
for usergroups? I think you can also be a Seven Hills Partner too.
There must be more of them out there. You can get discounts and free
upgrades if you register one representative at your UG.

Brian Tao

Jun 11, 1993, 9:50:35 AM6/11/93
to Jeanne Chappell
In article <1993Jun11.0...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, Jeanne Chappell writes...

> You make me jealous - I keep up on all of the latest IIGS software - but
> I am the one that *gets* to demo them at the meetings.

Do you have the same problem where it's always the same person (you)
doing the presentations each month? It used to be like that around here
(me up in front), but since I've had class on Tuesday nights for the
past year, I had to break that habit. Do you think members really mind
if the same person does the demo time and time again? I try to
encourage members to give demos, but people have the aversion to
speaking to a crowd for some reason... ;-)

Brian Tao

Jun 11, 1993, 9:44:13 AM6/11/93
to Jeffrey Smoot
In article <1993Jun10.1...@cas.org>, Jeffrey Smoot writes...

> I don't think our members are buying much software anymore, so no one
> seems to have anything to present.

I know the feeling... I've tried to stay away from new product demos
because most of the new stuff is GS-only and that doesn't reflect our
member profile (most don't have GS's, although that's starting to
change). Last month we had a meeting on hardware peripherals. Two
members brought in their systems for demonstration. One was a GS, one
was a //e and there wasn't a free slot between them. :) This month
will be on Apple II magazines. Unfortunately, it will also be the first
time most members will hear about InCider/A+'s demise. :( The July
meeting isn't set, but I figure I'll demo Kangaroo or something like
that.

Someone actually came up to me one meeting and said "I just bought
Your Money Matters and it's a really great program. I don't think I
want to do a presentation on it though, since I don't like speaking in
front of people." Gee, that really helps...

> Has anyone tried to get on a local cable access channel?

One of our directors mentioned that in passing at our last board
meeting. There was a usergroup that had a weekly series on their local
community station. I don't remember if it was an Apple UG or not. I'll
try to get the name of the group.

Joe Citro

Jun 12, 1993, 12:00:08 AM6/12/93
I can sure vouch for the neat meeting place that ABUG in Kansas City has.
Two of us from the Omaha MACH user group drove down to one of their meetings
a couple months ago just to visit with a sister group. We really enjoyed
our visit. I wish we had a meeting place that had 5 inch TV monitors
at alternating seating locations so that everybody could get a good look
at the demonstrations. The "All in one place" is a good idea too, they
were nice enough to provide copies to us. Another good idea they have is
a little form on which you can ask, anonomously, a question you feel is
too dumb to ask out loud. We liked that so much we started printing that
form in our Newsletter. We keep a box at our meetings just for those forms.

Hello to all the nice folks at ABUG

- Joe

Dave Harvey

Jun 11, 1993, 7:24:56 PM6/11/93

We're an Apple II only user group and meet the first Saturday of each month
at the Fairington Community Center, in Arlington, Virginia. We have about
80 members in our organization and have been in existance since 1981. Most
of our meetings have about 20-25 attendees. We publish a monthly
newsletter, have a disk library, paper library, telephone support lines for
members and our own BBS, Pro-novapple that runs the ProLine BBS software.

----
ProLine: daveharv@pro-novapple | NORTHERN VIRGINIA APPLE USERS GROUP
Internet: dave...@pro-novapple.cts.com| P. O. BOX 8211
UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv | FALLS CHURCH, VA 22041 USA

David D Kilzer

Jun 12, 1993, 2:39:49 PM6/12/93
jo...@well.sf.ca.us (Joe Kohn) writes:

>Well, as far as Apple II User Groups go, I just recently got a disk from
>Phil Shapiro of Balloons Software that has an AW word processing file on it
>that lists about 50 (or more) editors of Apple II user group newsletters.

>It's about a 30K file. Should I just go ahead and post it here?

Yes!

>(It's not complete, but, maybe we can complete it?)

That's exactly what this newsgroup is here for! I'd suggest posting it
in ascii format (print the file to disk as a text file) and throw it on
the net. People who belong to those groups or know about them could
post verifications/revisions/etc.

I also recall having an AppleWorks database file of Apple // User Groups
somewhere. I think it was on an issue of TimeOut-Central (on disk). If
I find it, I'll print it out in text format and post it to the net.
It'd make a great starting place for an FAQ (in addition to the people
who have already posted here about their newsgroups).

Dave
--
David D. Kilzer \ ST:TNG _Relics_
Computer Engineer 3 / Capt. Montgomery Scott ("Scotty")

Michael C Tiernan

Jun 12, 1993, 4:01:59 PM6/12/93
ta...@r-node.hub.org writes:
> We also need mailing address, contact person and phone number if
> possible. An e-mail address (for those with Proline BBS's) would be a
> bonus too.
Duh! Yea, that was kinda obvious wasn't it? Sorry about that. :<

Okay, anyone wanna offer suggestions for a format?

David D Kilzer

Jun 13, 1993, 2:49:41 PM6/13/93
ddki...@iastate.edu (David D Kilzer) writes:

>I also recall having an AppleWorks database file of Apple // User Groups
>somewhere. I think it was on an issue of TimeOut-Central (on disk). If
>I find it, I'll print it out in text format and post it to the net.
>It'd make a great starting place for an FAQ (in addition to the people
>who have already posted here about their newsgroups).

Okay, the file was a database file of Beagle Buddies from the first
issue of TimeOut-Central (Sept 1990). The file had the following
categories:

Usergroup
F/L Name
City,State,Zip
Daytime Phone
Nighttime Phone

I printed out a labels-style text file, which I'm including in this
article. I'll also post the orignal ADB file (Shrunk, BINSCII'd) on
comp.binaries.apple2 if you want it for any reason.

If you can verify the existence of any of the usergroups, verify that
the usergroup no longer exists, or can provide any additional
information, please post a response here so that whoever will be
creating an FAQ has something to work with.

And please delete the groups you don't know anything about when you
repost. We don't want replies with HUGE amounts of quoted text.
Thanks. :^)

Note that the records are sorted by zip code (they were in that order in
the database), so that should make things easier to find.

There are also some international usergroups at the very end of the
file, so even if you're not from the states, this may apply to you, too!

Finally, I'd like to know if any of the Iowa groups are still around. I
still have my //c at college in Ames (Story County), Iowa at Iowa State.
:^)

Dave

Ramey School User Group
Wilfredo Segarra
Aguadilla, P.R. 00604
809 890-5764

Boston Computer Society Apple/Boston
Richard Nichols
Wayland, MA 01778
508 653-2396

(NEAT) New England Apple Tree
Beryl Reid
Lowell, MA 01852
508 459-0114

Apple Sy- Boston Computer Society
George Ferguson
Franklin, MA 02038
617 528-7701

Nantucket Computer Club
Robert Hall
Nantucket, MA 02554
508 288-4223

Apple Fritters
Dean Blanchard Jr.
Newport, RI 02840
401 846-3870

Basically A.P.P.L.E. inc
Rick Taft
Cranston, RI 02910
216 038-2955

AppleWorks: Tips and Techniques
Robert Ericson
North Providence, RI 02911
401 353-5870

SNAC (Southern New Hampshire Apple Core)
Kenneth Hall
Lyndeboro, NH 03082
603 654-9870

The Apple Mug
Willaim Fox
Manchester, NH 03103
603 669-1681

Southern Maine Apple Users Group
Mike O'Neill
Brunswick, ME 04011
207 729-5508

North Woods IIgs Users Group
Daryl Witmer
Monson, ME 04464
207 997-3644

Kennebec AUG (KAUG)
Charles Pernice
Winslow, ME 04901
207 872-8904

Huge Apple Group
Stuart Rabinowitz
Glaston Bury, CT 06033
203 633-9038

Thames River Apple Users Group
Paul Sheppard
Gales Ferry, CT 06335
203-889-6175dn

Applelist
Jay Ferron
West Haven, CT 06516
203 934-3933
800-832-3201

Super Mid-Connecicut Apple Lovers League Users Group
Edward Rosenblatt
Waterbury, CT 06722-2480
203 597-5162

North Jersey Teachers Apple User Group
Peter Crosta
Nutley, NJ 07110-2965
201 667-2928

Teacher
Robert Reith
Prospect Park, NJ 07508
201 790-4959
201 942-2460

Bergen Apple Special Interest Group
David Winograd
Hillsdale, NJ 07642
201 666-1857

New Jersey Apple II Users Group
Dr. Kenneth Buchholz
Washington, NJ 07882
201 689-6739
201 6893649

South Jersey Apple User's Group
Michael D Perloff
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003
609 428-0101

Ewing Apple Users Group
Alan Migdal
Somerville, NJ 08876
201 874-8766

Big Apple Users Group
Robert Schack
New York, NY 10021
212 472-1157
212 341-2558

Westchester Apple Users group
Frank Howling
Bronx, NY 10463,
914-762-3681n
914-285-5226

Crab-Apple
Robert Rosenberg
Suffern, NY 10901-7318
914 357-0931

King County Apple Corp
Donald Loggins
Brooklyn, NY 11230
212-206-3657

Apple Sauce, Apple Cider and Zoo
Peter Paul
Middle Village, NY 11379
718 672-8843

Fran-Apple Users Group
Stephen Cohen
East Meadow, NY 11554

Suffolk Apple Computer Club
Larry Merow
Sayville, NY 11782
516 567-0603

Guilderland Apple Byters
George Johnson
Altamont, NY 12009
518 861-8315
518-385-0796

Mixed Burnt Hills APple Group
William Shuff
Schenectady, NY 12309
518 393-9753

The Syracuse Apple Users Group
Dick Stachowiak
E. Syracuse, NY 13057
315 656-2359

Southern Tier Apple Core
William Walling, Jr
Johnson City, NY 13790-2701
607 798-7717

The Apple Byters Coprs, Inc
Thomas Alley
Youngstown, NY 14174
716 745-3680

Rochester Apple Cider
R.W.W. Taylor
Rochester, NY 14620
716 473-6729

PUNXY Apple Core, Inc
John Leemhus
Punxsutawney, PA 15767-1450
814 938-3842

ABUG Apple Butler User Group
Frank Curnayn
Butler, PA 16001
412-285-9385

Erie APple Crunchers, Inc
Ritchard Roth
Erie, PA 16508
814 455-8720

Bottom of the Barrel
Opie Boyer
Huntington, PA 16652
814-623-9077d
814-643-6157

Hershey Apple Core
Frank English
Hershey, PA 17033
717 533-8480
717 533-8125

Harrisburg/Keystone Apple Core
William Miller
East Berlin, PA 17316
717 259-0827

Philedlphia area/NAUG
Bruce Shanker
Warminster, PA 18974
215 674-0118

Martin Friedman
Broomall, PA 19008
215 353-2753

Delaware Valley Apple Branch
Sandi Benditt
Devault, PA 19432
215 933-8820

Special Bytes Computer Club
Leigh Rockwell
Wyomissing Hills, PA 19609
215 670-0712

Berks Apple Club
Gordon Perlmutter
Wyomissing, PA 19610
215 374-3284

Great Apple Program Exchange (Grape)
John Sowers
New Castle, DE 19899
215-586-7987

Washington Apple Pi
Donald Avery
Bethesda, MD 20817
202-347-7170d
202-362-1783n

Washington Apple Pi
David Page
Andrews AFB, MD 20335
301 599-7630

Washington Apple Pie
Lee Raesly
College Park, MD 20740
301 431-0853

The Crystal Apple
Kevin Lane
Ft Meade, MD 20755
301 621-9743

Washington Apple Pi
Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, MD 20770
301 345-3230

Washington Apple Pi
Allan E Levy
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
301 340-7839

Washington Apple Pi
Ray Settle
Arnold, MD 21012
301 647-9192

Washington Apple Pie
W.T. Cook
Columbia, MD 21045
301 995-0352

Harford County Public Schools
Gary Davis
Fallston, MD 21047
301 893-2272

Baltimore County Clericals Apple Computer User's Group
Margaret Ibex
Timonium, MD 21093
301 887-7663
301 887-7664

Educational Technologies Consultants
Fred Balmages
Reisterstown, MD 21136
301 833-2917

Merry Perry
Baltimore, MD 21212
301 377-5439

Washington Apple Pi
Paul Schlosser
Mount Airy, MD 21771
301 831-9166

Riseing Sun High School
Anthony Mattern
Rising Sun, MD 21911-2535
301 658-4799

Washington Apple Pi
Neil Laubenthal
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-691-1360d
703-602-0612n

NOVAPPLE
Joey Schober
Falls Church, VA 22041
703 820-6279

Washington Apple Pi
Kenneth De Vito
Alexandria, VA 22310
703 960-0786

Tidewater Apple Worms
Norman Scholefield
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
804 499-6251
804 396 3197

Club Apple
David Wechsler
South Charleston, WV 25309
304 747-5175

Apple T.R.E.E.
Walter Lewis III
Huntington, WV 25701
304 523-1099

West Virginia Apple Users Group
David Moore
Bridgeport, WV 26330
304 842-3960

Triad Apple Core
Steve Strom
Gibsonville, NC 27249
919 449-7206

Carolina Apple Core
Phil Albro
Cary, NC 27511
919 467-7241

Glenn Dahlen
Shelby, NC 28150
704 434-6086n
704-482-8941d

Charlotte Apple Computer Club
Michael Miltich, MD
Charlotte, NC 28210
704 364-1136

The Apple Southeastern Info Exchange
Gayle Keresey
Wilmington, NC 28401
919 763-7149

PRO-APA
Steve Bevillee
Spartanburg, SC 29302
803-582-3687n

Oliver Roosevelt
Fairforrest, SC 29336
803 574-1104

Greenville APple Users Group
Douglas Durkee
Taylors, SC 29687
803 244-7396

CSRA Apple Users Group
Donald Hostetler
N. Augusta, SC 29841
803 279-6456

Atlanta Area Apple Users' Group
Jim Sulsona
Doraville, GA 30360-3147
404 455-0853

Georgia Dept of Natural Resources, Fisheries Section
Kim W. Primmer
Calhoun, GA 30701
404 629-1259

AppleJax
Henry Bailey III
Jacksonville, FL 32245-6757
904 744-2499
904-725-3477

T-Apple
Bruce Pfeffer
Tallahassee, FL 32312
904 386-2685

Pensacola Apple II User Group
Allan Kiel
Pensacola, FL 32506
904 456-0436
904 457-2280

Fort Walton Beach Apple Club
Bruce Aplin
Ft Walton Beach, FL 32548
904 862-3047
904 862-9558

Gainsville Apple Peelers
Tyler Weisman
Gainsville, FL 32608-1160
904 375-6325

Volusia County Schools
Gary Bungart
Deltona, FL 32738
407 860-1536
407 574-6626 x33

Apple Tree of Central Florida
Michael Ungerman
Oviedo, FL 32765
407 366-0060

A.C.E.S.
George Gray
Hollywood, FL 33024
305 981-4384

Miami Apple Users Group
Michael Justice
Miami, FL 33170

ACES - Titan Electronics
Jeff Strichard
Ft Lauderdale, FL 33313
305 587-9590

Brandon Apple Group
Gene Linkoski
Brandon, FL 33510
813 681-9654

Sun Coast Apple Club
Jack Weiss
Sarasota, FL 34239
813 365-6374

Quad Cities Apple Byters
Ralph Young
Florence, AL 35630
205 767-2081

PDS Apple Pie and Sapple
Robert Reints
Mobile, AL 36693

Tri-Cities Computer Club
Micahel Lee Otis
Elizabethton, TN 37643
615 474-3946

Knoxvill AppleWorks Users Exchange (KAUX)
Bob Evridge
Knoxville, TN 37909
615 693-8817

Apple Core of Memphis
Jim Brandt
Memphis, TN 38125
901 754-9296
901-766-4624

AUSM (Apple Users Group of South Mississippi
Bill Therrel
Gulfport, MS 39507
601 864-8836

Louisville Apple User Group
Tom Guenthner
Louisville, KY 40214

Apple Siders of Cincinnati
Dan Grey
Ft Thomas, KY 41075-1795
606 441-3555

QUACKS and Pennypile Area Computer Exchange and Computer Crazy Librians
Charles Parker
Hopkinsville, KY 42241-0654
502 886-3885

Apple GS Columbus
Mark Allison
London, OH 43140
614 852-4350

Central Ohio Apple Computer Hobbyrats(coach)
Irwin (Chuck) Kopp
Bexley, OH 43209
614 253-6366

+ MEEC
Mark Lensenmayer
Columbus, OH 43215
614 766-1844

Zanevill Ohio Apple Renaissance
James Mc Greevy
Zaneville, OH 43701
614 454-9848

Insight
Wade Spafford
Cleveland, OH 44130
216- 234-6555

Stow User Group
Jerry Ryan
Stow, OH 44224
216 627-7040

Country Computer Club
Darrel Collins
Apple Creek, OH 44606-9502
216 698-5584
216 345-6556

Stark County Apple Users Group, NAUG, NEO, TI & IE
Robert Netro
Canton, OH 44708
216 477-3667

Apple L.U.G.
Roger Peel
Holt, MI 44842
517 694-8774

Firelands Area Apple User
Joel Bressman
Norwalk, OH 44857
614 222-4369
419 668-7023 Weekends

North Coast Couputer Users Group
Donald Rumbutis
Sandusky, OH 44870
419 626-6198

Apple-Dayton
Harold Moore
Dayton, OH 45424
513-236-1770d
513-236-2415n

Computer Access Resource Service (CARS)
Robert Weis
Beavercreek, OH 45430
513 429-4169
513 257-6836

Delicous Bits and Bytes
Ric Ewald
Lima, OH 45801
419-649-3137

Apple History
Scott Bennett
Arlington, OH 45814
419 365-5074

Free Lance right now
SFC Kevin Jay Gold
Indianapolis, IN 46254
317 290-8948

Fort Wayne APple Computer Users Group
Earl Kumfer
Fort Wayne, IN 46807
219 745-2203

Columbus Apple User Group
Jack Countryman
Greensburg, IN 47240-0171
812 663-4998

Muncie Apple Byters
Eric Johnson
Muncie, IN 47303
317 289-5976
317 285-8078/8060

Flint Apple Club, Inc
Robert Meyers
Clarkston, MI 48016
313 625-5531

Apple P.I.E (Public Interest East)
Richard Maske
New Haven, MI 48048-0438
313 749-9301

Michigan Apple
Warren Hart
Royal Oak, MI 48072
313 981-5208

NAUG
Joseph Connelly
Livonia, MI 48154
313 421-8729

NAUG
Simon Ross
Wayne, MI 48184-2348
313 728-8269

Quality Computers
Joe Gleason
Grosse Pointe, MI 48230
313-331-0700

Saginaw Apple Computer Klub
Mike Crandell
Saginaw, MI 48603
517 791-3432

Midland Apple Club
Sam Maisano, Jr.
Hemlock, MI 48626
517 642-2529

Kalamazoo Apple Computer Users Society
John Link
Kalamazoo, MI 49004
616 381-0896

Grand Traverse Apple II Users Group
Kenneth McGuire
Kewadin, MI 49648
616 264-9871
616 946-5921

Ames Apple Tree
Guy Durant
Ames, IA 50013
515 294-5727
515 294-8994

Ankeny Computer Club
Dan Cross
Ankeny, IA 50021
515 964-7614

Roland-Story Apple Users Group
David Graham
Roland, IA 50236
515 388-4700

Iowa City Apple Users Group
Mike Lutz
Iowa City, IA 52240
319 338-3731

Cedazar Rapids Apple Users Group
Wilfred Carew
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
319 396-2620

QCNPS Apple Users Group
Thomas Tamlyn
Bettendorf, IA 52722
319 332-4035
309 654-2241

Elmbrook School District
Gary Schlei
Hartland, WI 53029
414 538-4422

Waukesha GS User Group
Dee Berghauer
Elm Grove, WI 53122
414 796-1505

Jeffery Kloko
Oak Creek, WI 53154-1079
414 761-2318

Group Support 8/16, Inc
Peter Lee
Milwaukee, WI 53208
414 344-6807

Milwaukee Apple Users Symponun and Milwaukee Educational Computing
John Sklar
Brown Deer, WI 53223
414 355-1253

Milwaukee
James Steckel
Milwaukee, WI 53208
414-259-1578

Racine Apple Users Group
Tom Babicky
Racine, WI 53403
414 634-1396

Wausau Area Apple Two User's Group
James Jarosz
Marshfield, WI 54449
715 387-6013
715 387-1702

Northwest Computer Support Center (50 School Districts)
Ross Wilson
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
715 723-0341

Appleton Apples
Paul Van Wyk
Appleton, WI 54915
414 739-6503
414-731-0941

Minnesota Computer Using Educators
Dr. Harold Mac Dermot
St Paul, MN 55101
612 297-2534

MINI'APP'LES
Richard Marchiafava
Fridley, MN 55432
612 572-9305

Lake Superior Apple Users Group
Charles Semrad
Duluth, MN 55812
218 724-7586

MSU AppleWorks
Ronald Strand
Mankato, MN 56001
507 278-3790

FM Apple Users Group
Donavon Volden
Fargo, ND 58102
701 235-4823
701-232-3732

Team Electronics
Vern Mastell
Bismark, ND 58501
701 223-4546

Billings Apple Users Group
Robert Hayes
Billings, MT 59106
406 652-4818

Northern Montana College
Jerry Hayes
Havre, MT 59501
406-352-4195d
406-265-6662

North Illinois Apple Computer Society
Russ Pursell
Palatine, IL 60067
708 359-9569

Apple Tree Computer Club
Dean Esmay
Hazel Crest, IL 60429
312 335-3361

DAUG - DuPage Apple User Group
Mike Bessler
Romeoville, IL 60441
312-845-1625d
815-886-5141n

Adam & Eve Apple User's Group
Lanis Lenker
Lena, IL 61048
815 369-5139
815-369-4548

AppleByters
James Joseph
Moline, IL 61265
309 797-8086

The New Apple II Users Group
Brad Martin
Monmouth, IL 61462
309 734-4350

Apple Computers Mid-state Users Group
Barry Carney
Bloomington, IL 61704

Champaign Urbana Apploe Users Group
John Pierce
Hume, IL 61932
217 887-9046

McDonald Douglas Recreational Computer Club - Apple Sig
Ralph H Lilienkamp
St Louis, MO 63121
314 381-3527

Regional Consortuim for Ed Tech (RCET)
James Harpel
St Louis, Mo 63146
314 878-8496

Blue Springs R-4 Teachers
Gary Zumwalt
Blue Springs, MO 64015
816 229-8941

ABUG (Apple Bits Users Group)
Don Schulte
Independence, MO 64052
816 254-4928

Booneslick Apple Users Delegation
Bob Suits
Columbia, Mo 65202,
314-445-6082n

John Radu
Sadalia, MO 65301
816 827-2623

Apple Suires of the Ozarks
Bettie Graves
Springfield, MO 65807
417 882-0323

Leavenworth Apple User's group
Gerald Tabin
Lansing, KS 66043
913 727-5158

Topeka Area Apple Group
Scott Wilson
Topeka, KS 66604-2020
913 233-5854

Topeka Area Apple Group
Ron Hurd
Topeka, KS 66614
913 272-5033

Plane Apple Club
Jim Parker
Wichita, KS 67217
316 529-3482

Apple-Linc
Brian Schwinck
Lincoln, NE 68512-1332
402-421-3885n
402-471-7471d

South-Central Nebraska Apple Klub
Wes Dickey
Hastings, NE 68901
402 463-3046

Crescent City APple Corp (CCAC)
Christopher Ates
St. Rose, LA 70087-9567
504 466-2642

GS Pro
Paul Werner
New Orleans, LA 70124
504 486-5061

Baton Rouge Apple II User Group
Doni Grande
Baton Rouge, LA 70809-5501
504 292-4808

Oklahoma City Apple Users Group
John D Thompson
Bethany, OK 73008-2304
405 495-2046

Apple Corps of Dallas, TX
Tracy Poe
Euless, TX 76040-5309
817 354-0384

TAG (Tarrant Apple Group)
Bob Baggott
Ft Worth, TX 76104
817 478-2396
817 332-3341

Texamo Mac - Apple Club
Freddie Cooper
Wichita Falls, TX 76311
817 855-5741

Apple S.T.E.M.
Joel McIntosh
Copperas, TX 76522
817 542-8430

Genie Apple 2 RoundTable
Tom Hoover
Lorena, TX 76655
817 752-9731
817 6667605

San Angelo Apple Users Group
Michael DeVos
San Angelo, TX 76903
915 653-5910

HAAUG
Beverly Cadieux
Kingwood, TX 77339
713 360-5013

HAUG
Don MacGregor
Houston, TX 77072,
713-530-5034

Golden Apple Computer Club
Paul Millner
Port Neches, TX 77651-6010
409 722-3643
409 985-1358

Bay Area GS Users Group
John McGee, Jr
Beaumont, TX 77705-9672
409 794-2569

Laredo Community
William Balzar
Laredo, TX 78041
512 724-2450

American School - Mexico City
Harve Thorn
Laredo, TX 78044
905-544-4283
905-516-0720

San Antonio Appleseed
Ramon Merlin
San Antonio, TX 78232
512 496-5331

Parkdale Apple Club
Jim Gillin
Corpus Christi, TX 78412
512 992-6216

Apple Corps Abilen (formerly Big Red Apple Group)
Alan Woods
Abilene, TX 79602-1908
915 672-5429
915 672-1642

Odessa College Dean of Science
Don Huff
Odessa, TX 79762
915 366-3022
915 335-6446

Franklin Mountain Apple Orchard
Larry Jones
El Paso, TX 79902
915 533-3302
915 565-3016

Bits and Bytes
Sr. Juan Teresa
Aurora, CO 80012
303 367-8012

Resource for AppleWorks 1000+
Lee Hayward
Aurora, CO 80015

Denver Apple PI
David Stremme
Lakewood, CO 80226
303 986-8171

Computer C.A.S.H.E. & TAWUG
Joyce Madden
Denver, CO 80237
303 771-2019

Apple Mountain Users Group
Lynn Pizzo
Colorado Springs, CO 80920,
719-591-0404d

Apple Computer Enthusiasts
Bob Luster
Salida, CO 81201
719 539-4806

The Apple Net
Zeno Gonsalez-Lopez Jr
Cheyenne, WY 82001
307 634-4128

Uintah Basin Apple Users Group
Bob Stewart
Altamont, UT 84001
801-454-3852

Dave Fein
Phoenix, AZ 85023
602-993-3038

Arizona Apple Users Group
Dave Blackwell
Mesa, AZ 85210
602 892-4240

AZ Apple
John Bohn
Paradise Valley, AZ 85253
602 955-8543

Sun City Apple Network,AZ Apple User Group&Apple West(sun city west)
Dave Scott
Sun City, AZ 85373
602 977-2433

Tucson Apple Core (T.A.C.)
Clay Evitts
Tucson, AZ 85710
602 885-9789
602 296-5491

Applequerque Computer Club
Joe Walters
Albuquerque, NM 87109
505 821-3751

Southern Nevada Apple Family User Group
Rhomer Johnson
North Los Vegas, NV 89030
702-361-9360d
702-642-8842n

Greater Reno Operating Group
Keith Johnson
Sparks, NV 89434
702 784-4812
702 359-2543

MAUG
Dave Gair
Los Angeles, CA 90038
213 467-6922

Original Apple Corps
Gerald Schultz II
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
213 822-5559

Apple Connexion Users Group
Mark Thompson
Azusa, CA 91702
818 335-5544

Tri-City APple Users Group
Ray Kidd
Covina, CA 91724
818 966-6162

South Bay Apple Users Group
Richard Trovato
Chula Vista, CA 92011
619 426-6150

NAUG
Michael Beebe
San Diego, CA 92107-1150
619 224-8823

North San Diego Apple Club
Larry Colton
San Diego, CA 92122
619 453-8088

CUE (Computer Using Educators)
Barbara Lester
San Diego, CA 92124
619 279-7578

Ericson Elemetary School
Pat Doyle
San Diego, CA 92126
619 271-0505

Apple Corp of San Diego
Tom Kasner
San Diego, CA 92126
619 693-0331

Newton Fruit User Group
David A. Steiner
Hesperia, CA 92345
619 244-6476

Applejacks of the Inland Empire
Philip Graham
Highland, CA 92346-4610
714 862-5328

Apple Harvest
Steve Tinling
Riverside, CA 92506
714 780-1274

Honeywell Apple Computer Klub
Lewis Eaker
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
818 915-9872

Orange Apple Computer Club
Steve Ellis
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
714 858-2519

Appleholics Anonymous
Gil Chuck
Camarillo, CA 93010
805 388-2919

Santa Barbara Apple Users Group
Duane Pierce
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
805 962-7313
805 967-0335

Porterville Educators Apple User Group
Ken Armstrong
Porterville, CA 93257
209-781-3296d
209-781-5380n

Apple II's User Group
Armondo Baltra
Fresno, CA 93710
209-438-5109n

Apple SMUG (Salinas-Monterey Users Group
Michael Rogers
Marina, CA 93933
408 384-8211
408-394-1116

Peninsula Apple Users Group
Tom Carlton
Burlingame, CA 94010
415 344-0866

San Francisco Apple Corp
Vaughn Phelps
San Francisco, CA
415-586-7717
415-585-1577

Tri Valley Apple II Users Group
Susan Davis
Danville, CA 94526
415 837-9389

SPC Apple
James Davis
Hayward, CA 94544
415 489-7024

Robert Skapura
Lafayette, CA 94549
415 933-4257

San Leandro Apple Eaters
Terry Higgins
Newark, CA 94560
415 745-7884
415-593-2500-228d

Diablo Valley Apple Users
Jerry White
Pittsburg, CA 94565
415 439-1583
415-825-6911

Computer Coordinator at Bentley School, Oakland/AppleWorks Teacher
Cindi Heller
Berkeley, CA 94705
415 548-4891
415 843-2512

Programming and Ingerfacing Enthusiasts, Inc.
Dean Nichols
Santa Clara, CA 95055
408 241-8848

Apple Bloosom Users Group
John Bordenave
San Jose, CA 95123
408 225-1458

Gravenstein Apple Users Group
Aaron LaMar
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707 938-8479

Humboldt Apple II Society
Ray Souza
Eureka, CA 95501
707 445-8601

Apple Sac Inc.
Glenn Smith
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
916 726-2806
916 626-8642

Honolulu Apple Users Society
Glynn Garavito
Honolulu, HI 96818-5405
808 422-9004

A.P.P.L.E.- Portland's II Club
Jo Ann Rachor
Beaverton, OR 97005-7234
503 641-7192
503 656-6355

Portland Public Schools
Jim Emig
Portland, OR 97206
503 771-1916

The Road Apple
Al Martin
Portland, OR 97230
503 254 3874

Willamette Apple Connection, Inc
Lawrence Tucker
Salem, OR 97303-1255
503 585-0811

Oregon Educational Computer Consortuim (60 School Districts)
Bob Hammel
Salem, OR 97310
503 378-5600

Apple Eugene
Jack Gatti
Springfield, OR 97477
503-741-3760

Rogue Apple Users Group (RAUG)
Nick Viani
Ashland, OR 97520
503 482-5146

AppleBobbers
Alexa Baum
Everett, WA 98203
206 353-8102

Granny Smith II
Phillip Carlson
Silverdale, WA 98383-9433
206 697-1912
206-396-6595

CALL A.P.P.L.E.
Lee Lippert
Kent, WA 98402
206 631-0146

Free Lance in Europe as of May 1990
Jim Wellman
Tacoma, WA 98467
206 566-0351

North West Apple Pickers
Kent Hayden
Tacoma, WA 98467-1618
206 564-6368

Apple * Van
Timothy Craven
Ridgefield, WA 98642
206 573-0904

Keith Mackenzie
Spokane, WA 99204-2382
509 624-9217

Anchorage Apple Users Group
Ronald L Wallace
Anchorage, AK 99504
907 338-3264

Shire Teachers Users Group
DeWayne Bruce
Caringbah, NSW, Australia 2229
61 2 527-473

Apple User's Society of Melborne (AUSOM) Inc.
James Clough
Victoria, Australia 3187
61-3-592-3450

Christopher Griggs
Townsville, Australia 4810
077 231532

Cairns Apple IIgs Users
Helen Kennet
Queensland, Australia 4870
070 54 2730

Australian Council for Computers in Education
Lindsay Cook
Paradise, SA, Australia 5075
08 3371465
08 3379728

Nova Scotia Apple User Group
Michael Cleveland
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada B2Y 4L9
902 435-4608

Crocquers De Pammes - Apple Byters
Frank Da Silva
Quebec, Canada J3H 1C9
514 464-6610

Ottawa Apple II User Group
John Jackson
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5W6
613 445-5726n
613-230-7368

Hamilton Apple Computer Klub
E.A. Iler
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada L9G 2S1
416 2030

LOGIC
Ian Harvie
Scarborough, ONT, Canada M1M 2T6
416 266-6647

Waterloo Region Apple Matrix (W.R.A.M.)
Brian Scully
Ontario, Canada N2G 3E9
519 744-2064
Can FAX to Phone1

Apple S.P.I.C.E.
Charles Oldfield
Ontario, Canada N8T 3C8
519 974-1919

Atomic Apple Users Group
H. Grant Delaney
Pinawa, Manatoba, Canada R0E 1L0
204 753-2663

Winnipeg Apple Users Group (WAUG)
Gordon Richards
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R2K 2L3
204 668-4804

Garden Valley Apple Users Group
Werner Ens
Winkler, MB, Canada R6W 4B2
204 325-8592

Calgary Apple Corps
Ulrich Schmidt
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T3C 1V7
403 246-3116

The Alliance Users Support Group
Chris Lau
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T3E 1K5
403 243-7249

Edmonton Apple Group Learning Experience (E.A.G.L.E.)
James Price
Edmonton, Albertoa, Canada T5A 1H2
403 473-6488

Edmonton Public Schools
Don Kauffman
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6J 1H9

NAUG
Tim Shilson
Prince George, BC V21 4V1
604 964-7069

Apples BC Computer Society
Rev. David Martyn
Burnaby, B.C. V5E 2L4
604 521-3305

London Business AppleWorks Gourp
Michael Corgan
London, England W5 5E5
44 01 567 1193
FAX: 01 567 9692

North West Apple Computer Club
K. J. Dawson
Cheshire, England WA89HW
051 424-8974

Christchurch Apple Users Group
Peter Fitchett
Christchurch, New Zealand
64 3 328-189

Waikato Apple II Users Group
John Wolff
Hamilton, New Zealand
6471 552 384
6471 385 590

AppleNorth
David James
Peterhead, Scotland
0779 812608

Apple Users Group, Singapore Microcomputer Society
Colin Nah
Singapore, 2880
065 4822440

Apple User Group - Sweden
Andreas Wennborg
GOTEBORG, Sweden
01146 31 21 66 98
01146 31 24 97 24

Brian Tao

Jun 14, 1993, 1:44:07 AM6/14/93
to Michael C Tiernan
In article <C8IyB...@world.std.com>, Michael C Tiernan writes...

> Duh! Yea, that was kinda obvious wasn't it? Sorry about that. :<

No prob, Mike. ;-) BTW, glad to see you're receiving the new
newsgroups now. :)

> Okay, anyone wanna offer suggestions for a format?

I haven't really thought about that yet. We can collect as much
data as we can first and enter it into a database. Then we can use AW's
report formats and/or mail merge capabilities to format the data into
something usable for the FAQ. For starters, let's go with these DB
categories:

Usergroup name:
Postal address:
P.O. Box:
City:
Province:
Postal code:
Voice:
BBS:
Fax:
Contact person:
Service area: <-- cities, counties, regions, etc. that are
within reach of the usergroup
Newsletter:
Editor:
Meetings: <-- Monthly, bi-monthly, etc. and dates (third
Tuesday of every month, etc.)
Misc. notes: <-- Leave about four blank categories

Not everything will go into the FAQ (it won't fit!), but perhaps the
full database can be kept on an FTP site and updated every month. Also,
if someone wants more information, he or she can always contact the
usergroup directly. So far so good?

Brian Tao

Jun 14, 1993, 1:40:17 AM6/14/93
to Joe Citro
In article <1993Jun12.0...@news.unomaha.edu>, Joe Citro writes...

> I wish we had a meeting place that had 5 inch TV monitors at alternating
> seating locations so that everybody could get a good look at the
> demonstrations.

I am *truly* impressed!

> Another good idea they have is a little form on which you can ask,
> anonomously, a question you feel is too dumb to ask out loud.

Heh heh... I should forward this to our newsletter editor. We had
an "Ask Dr. Bob" type of column a little while back, but I haven't seen
it since.

Arch Mirrielees

Jun 14, 1993, 10:02:05 PM6/14/93
Gosh, Dave - you _must_ have missed at least one!

Arch - commonly known as ChipHead

Rand Sibet

Jun 14, 1993, 7:28:27 PM6/14/93
Hello!

>MINI'APP'LES
>Richard Marchiafava
>Fridley, MN 55432
>612 572-9305

This address is wrong, The new address/phone is:

MINI'APP'LES
The Minnesota Apple Computer User's Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 796
Hopkins, MN 55343
612 229-6952

Please update your databases! Thanx.
----
ProLine: rsibet@pro-algonquin
Internet: rsi...@pro-algonquin.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-algonquin!rsibet
ARPA: crash!pro-algonquin!rsi...@nosc.mil

Dave Harvey

Jun 16, 1993, 11:40:33 PM6/16/93

ddki...@iastate.edu (David D Kilzer) writes:

>If you can verify the existence of any of the usergroups, verify that
>the usergroup no longer exists, or can provide any additional
>information, please post a response here so that whoever will be
>creating an FAQ has something to work with.
>And please delete the groups you don't know anything about when you
>repost. We don't want replies with HUGE amounts of quoted text.
>Thanks. :^)

I think for the most part you'll find the file hopelessly out of date.
Correction for NOVAPPLE:

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group
Neal Haygood
Falls Church, VA 22041
703-571-7338

David D Kilzer

Jun 19, 1993, 11:20:09 PM6/19/93
ar...@pro-scat.cts.com (Arch Mirrielees) writes:

>Gosh, Dave - you _must_ have missed at least one!

:^) Well, *I* didn't compile the list...I only remember it being on the
Timeout-Central disk. I figured it was as a good a starting point as
any.

Of course, any usergroups who aren't listed should post information
about their group!!

Dave