No more Google Groups

I am Rob

Dec 14, 2023, 8:22:16 PM12/14/23
It has been announced that Google Groups will no longer upload to Usenet groups.

"Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups."

> That might put a damper on the viability of csa2/cea2/csa2p.

Then I would like to invite everyone to meet me over on Atariage. It is a way better forum anyways that allows one to post files, pictures and videos.

And a way better editor for entering posts. No checking off that you are not a bot. And the best of all, NO SPAM.

https://forums.atariage.com/forum/158-apple-ii-computers

Speccie

Dec 15, 2023, 3:23:55 AM12/15/23
On 15 Dec 2023, I am Rob wrote

> It has been announced that Google Groups will no longer upload to Usenet groups

Then it is time you joined the rest of us, who access Usenet as we always have, by means of either a free News server, or one of the paid for news servers that give you access to the entire 111,164 Usenet groups.

I use Astraweb: https://www.astraweb.com

Giganews, though more expensive, has more features: https://giganews.com

As to a client for reading and posting to Usenet, on the IIgs you would need SNAP: https://speccie.uk/software/snap/
(https://speccie.uk/software/snap/)
On the Mac I use Hogwasher, but there are others: https://www.asar.com/

Windows computers will have their equivalents, and on the Apple II you may be able too use Contiki.

Cheers - Speccie

begin 644 /
M+P`2"@,````XRX`4^'\``!``````````(*02"@,```"@I!(*`P```$/4@!3X
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P`````'`````P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
`
`
end

Speccie

Dec 15, 2023, 3:23:56 AM12/15/23
On 15 Dec 2023, I am Rob wrote

> It has been announced that Google Groups will no longer upload to Usenet groups

Then it is time you joined the rest of us, who access Usenet as we always have, by means of either a free News server, or one of the paid for news servers that give you access to the entire 111,164 Usenet groups.

I use Astraweb: https://www.astraweb.com

Giganews, though more expensive, has more features: https://giganews.com

As to a client for reading and posting to Usenet, on the IIgs you would need SNAP: https://speccie.uk/software/snap/
(https://speccie.uk/software/snap/)
On the Mac I use Hogwasher, but there are others: https://www.asar.com/

Windows computers will have their equivalents, and on the Apple II you may be able too use Contiki.

Cheers - Speccie

begin 644 /
M+P`2"@,````XRX`4^'\``!``````````(*02"@,```"@I!(*`P```$/4@!3X
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&
MH*,2"@````````````!`0!`````!````"_S__P````"@I!(*`P```$/4@!0&

Speccie

Dec 15, 2023, 3:23:58 AM12/15/23

MummyChunk

Dec 20, 2023, 9:24:21 PM12/20/23

> > It has been announced that Google Groups will no longer upload to
Usenet groups.

> > "Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google
Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups,
subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can
continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted
before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups."

> > That might put a damper on the viability of csa2/cea2/csa2p.
> >
> I am Rob wrote:
>

> Then I would like to invite everyone to meet me over on Atariage.
It is a way better forum anyways that allows one to post files,
pictures and videos..

> And a way better editor for entering posts. No checking off that
you are not a bot. And the best of all, NO SPAM.

https://forums.atariage.com/forum/158-apple-ii-computers

Perhaps
in the groups FAQs, we can put a list of all of the web front ends and
free NNTP servers that carry this group

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657375680#657375680