Replacing DOS or ProDOS

Marc Golombeck

Dec 30, 2021, 4:44:33 PM12/30/21
I am still wondering how I can get rid off DOS or ProDOS with my projects. I would just need a routine that would load a file from disk to a certain space in memory.

Is there a routine available that could replace DOS 3.3 but using a DOS file system?

A fast loading routine would be nice but speed is not in primary focus. It should be small and easy to use. Furthermore a simple toolchain for creating disk images would be nice.

Can anybody point me to a decent routine or resource?

Thx,

Marc

I am Rob

Dec 30, 2021, 8:33:18 PM12/30/21
You can create a DOSless disk by formatting it and not copying DOS over to it. It will still have the file structure there. The boot sector does mostly what you want, but it only reads and copies sectors to memory and does not read a file from the Catalog directory.

Prodos is the same. just delete the file named Prodos.

You can still access these disk and the files by booting into drive #1 and put these disks in drive #2, and typing CATALOG,D2.

Under Prodos, there is a program called DSK2FILE that allows you to make disk images out of either DOS or Prodos disks. I believe Copy II Plus v5.x allowed making disk images as well.

Oliver Schmidt

Dec 31, 2021, 7:58:22 AM12/31/21
Hi Marc,

> Can anybody point me to a decent routine or resource?

When I understood your use case correctly, then
https://github.com/peterferrie/prorwts is exactly(!) what you are looking
for.

Regards,
Oliver

fadden

Dec 31, 2021, 12:22:20 PM12/31/21

If you want to eliminate the OS entirely, you need to implement the device-specific code for accessing a 5.25" or SmartPort drive. The game Elite used a custom DOS replacement (start at https://6502disassembly.com/a2-elite/Elite.html#SymDiskLoadGame ... $9661 - 9be0, about 1400 bytes), with its own RWTS and DOS file / directory code. The RWTS routines mostly look like they were pulled out of DOS 3.3.

> A fast loading routine would be nice but speed is not in primary focus. It should be small and easy to use. Furthermore a simple toolchain for creating disk images would be nice.

I'm not sure what a "simple toolchain" means in this context. Do you just want the DOS disk format code in a self-contained form?

qkumba

Dec 31, 2021, 4:41:06 PM12/31/21
http://pferrie.epizy.com/misc/appleii/rts.zip
1kb in memory, loads any file from a DOS file-system.

Marc Golombeck

Jan 1, 2022, 4:52:53 PM1/1/22
qkumba schrieb am Freitag, 31. Dezember 2021 um 22:41:06 UTC+1:
> http://pferrie.epizy.com/misc/appleii/rts.zip
> 1kb in memory, loads any file from a DOS file-system.

Thx that helps a lot!

Antoine Vignau

Jan 3, 2022, 4:16:38 PM1/3/22
Happy New Year,
I thought I shared the QuickDOS from QuickSilver. Simple, short, fast, a cool yet simple "OS"
Antoine

Marc Golombeck

Jan 4, 2022, 4:49:44 PM1/4/22
Thank you for your comment. Is there any documentation on how to implement and use Quick-DOS? I found a source code file but no documentation on how to get the OS on a DSK-image and how to use it.

Do you basically need a DOS 3.3 formatted empty disk where you put your files onto (single letter file name) using any FID-program?

How do you put the Quick-DOS on such a DSK-image?

Thx for any help,

Marc