"New" user

Rob Greene

Jan 12, 2007, 11:46:47 PM1/12/07
I've never tried GNO/ME, but since I had a CF card sitting around, I
thought it might be interesting.

So far, so good. Actually, amazing given the hardware. However, without
dev tools (that is, ORCA), I'm still not certain I know what to use it
for. Do the Merlin tools work from the command line?

I have some questions:

1. "man" seems to not be present. Did I mess up my install or something?
I know a ton of man pages were extracted, so it's funny it's lost
somewhere.

2. When I start up, if I logon at the first prompt, the IIGS seems to not
come back after the MOTD is displayed. If I hit enter to get a second
prompt, and log in, it works.

3. What are the real memory requirements? I'm currently sitting at
1.25MB and I think I'm at the edge. I tried "awk -?", but it never
printed an error or came back, so I have a hunch I went over...

4. Are serial communications possible? I've got a direct link to my
Linux server in the basement. I see there was a TCP/IP stack being
developed at one point with SLIP/PPP, but with my prior (lack of) success
with Marinetti, I don't think I need to go there... I was thinking simple
terminal emulator (hopefully with Z-Modem capability).

5. Is there some form of "adduser" script or do I do it manually?

6. Can this bad-boy actually accept logons over the aforementioned serial
line? Just curious. It's not often that you can run multiuser on an
8MHz machine!

7. Anything interesting going on with GNO? Or is it pretty much dead?

Thanks!
-Rob

Ed Eastman

Jan 17, 2007, 6:08:12 PM1/17/07

Rob:
Hey, these are all good questions and I am sorry to say I do not have
the answer. I keep meaning to read the FAQ on GNO/ME and never have
gotten around to it. (I still have not hooked my IIgs into the internet
since Kfest06...) I need more time! IF you read the FAQ or find out
anything more, please post it here or on A2Central.com.

Thankx,
Ed

Rob Greene

Jan 17, 2007, 10:36:27 PM1/17/07
Ed Eastman <no...@nowhere.net> wrote in

> Rob:
> Hey, these are all good questions and I am sorry to say I do not have
> the answer. I keep meaning to read the FAQ on GNO/ME and never have
> gotten around to it. (I still have not hooked my IIgs into the
> internet since Kfest06...) I need more time! IF you read the FAQ or
> find out anything more, please post it here or on A2Central.com.

Will do. About all I figured out is that at some later point, my logons no
longer hang. Not sure why, but it's "fixed".

I've skimmed the FAQ, but I have to admit I'm a hands-on type of person.
Meaning I didn't pay all that much attention. :-)

I'm also pretty sure that my original install was fine. I looked through the
SHK files that are part of the install but found no man command. It was in
another archive (I downloaded everything I could) so I installed it that way.

Now I'm pondering if I should just move everything onto the HFS drive since
space isn't an issue (380MB or so of disk). That would leave my other CF
partitions available to ProDOS applications. It's wild to have 512MB
available and not be sure how to fill it up. Fill it up usefully, that is!

What did floor me, however, is that the IIGS with GNO/ME does appear to
actually multitask. Knocked my socks off, really. I was doing some
background sleeps and then putzing around looking in directories in the
foreground... and the background tasks did complete. Which may not be a
great test, but it's all I have for the moment.

As far as my memory question, I'm even more certain that 1.25MB just barely
gets my going. If I run a big program, nothing happens (no errors even), but
if it's relatively small, then it runs.

Anyway, keep in touch!
-Rob

P.S. Should this move to comp.sys.apple2? The GNO newsgroup appears to be
pretty dead - and if so there isn't enough traffic to actually get someone
who knows to start speaking up...

Rob Greene

Jan 21, 2007, 7:41:01 PM1/21/07
Rob Greene <gre...@charter.net> wrote in

Posting to myself... :-/

> I'm also pretty sure that my original install was fine. I looked
> through the SHK files that are part of the install but found no man
> command. It was in another archive (I downloaded everything I could)
> so I installed it that way.

Just for the record, as I moved the install to the HFS volume (actually, I
just reinstalled onto the HFS volume), I noticed that some of my SHK
archives were bad. Poking around I found two of them (#7 and #15 IIRC)
wouldn't extract. I grabbed fresh copies and extracted them with Shrinkit
GS and all seems well.

> Now I'm pondering if I should just move everything onto the HFS drive
> since space isn't an issue (380MB or so of disk). That would leave my
> other CF partitions available to ProDOS applications. It's wild to
> have 512MB available and not be sure how to fill it up. Fill it up
> usefully, that is!

Did this. Seems to be ok.

> What did floor me, however, is that the IIGS with GNO/ME does appear
> to actually multitask. Knocked my socks off, really. I was doing
> some background sleeps and then putzing around looking in directories
> in the foreground... and the background tasks did complete. Which may
> not be a great test, but it's all I have for the moment.

MD Basic works in GNO, and it definately works in the background. Kinda
nifty. Still unsure how to use it though. Especially since I don't appear
to be able to actually _run_ the resulting file!!

> As far as my memory question, I'm even more certain that 1.25MB just
> barely gets my going. If I run a big program, nothing happens (no
> errors even), but if it's relatively small, then it runs.

Definately. "man" is present now, but it displays nothing - so I think the
nroff (or whatever else runs) is out of memory.

-Rob

Andrew Roughan

Apr 3, 2007, 12:04:11 PM4/3/07
Rob Greene wrote:
> Do the Merlin tools work from the command line?
No. AFAIK, only ORCA languages and specifically ported applications (e.g. lex, yacc?) will work.

> 4. Are serial communications possible?

Yes. There is a terminal program available that Jawaid wrote.
Sorry, can't remember the name off the top of my head.

> I was thinking simple terminal emulator (hopefully with Z-Modem capability).

Yes, it did both.

> I see there was a TCP/IP stack being developed at one point

I believe only one person was ever able to make it work (because it relied on an ISA ethernet card piggybacked into a IIgs slot). Don't even bother thinking about it further.

> with my prior (lack of) success with Marinetti...
I'm willing and able to assist with issues that people have with Marinetti. Start a new thread in csa2 and let me know what issues you are having.

> 6. Can this bad-boy actually accept logons over the aforementioned
> serial line?

Yes it can.

> 7. Anything interesting going on with GNO? Or is it pretty much dead?

The silence in the newsgroup is probably a good indication :)

Regards,
Andrew

--
Posted with a real IIgs, Uthernet equipped, using SNAP 1.0.1b9
--- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83

roughana

Apr 6, 2007, 1:43:38 AM4/6/07
> Rob Greene wrote:
> 3. What are the real memory requirements? I'm currently sitting at
> 1.25MB and I think I'm at the edge.

>From the installation doco - you did RTFM didn't you? :-)

===
Hardware Requirements

GNO/ME will work on any Apple IIgs with at least 2 MegaBytes of memory
and a hard drive.
You should have at least 5 MegaBytes of hard disk space free.

We recommend 4 MegaBytes of Memory and an accellerator card,
especially if you will be using GNO with many background processes. A
modem and access to an on-line service will greatly speed access to
technical assistance and new utilities as they are made available.
===

Regards,
Andrew

Sean Fahey

May 3, 2007, 5:37:24 PM5/3/07
To: roughana
Re: Re: "New" user
By: roughana to comp.sys.apple2.gno on Thu Apr 05 2007 11:43 pm

I'm interested in learning more about, and using GNO. Maybe a resurgence in
it's usage and development even.

Devin is still part of the community, though he's busy-busy. He mentioned in
chat some time ago that he wanted to put out a bug fix. I hope he'll have the
time to do it.