Apple powerbook battery power capacity is extremely misleading

akd technical support

Jun 16, 2003, 1:02:00 AM6/16/03
Anybody have any suggestions on how to get apple to either fix their
batteries or offer an extra replacement? They advertise up to 5 hours but I
would be lucky to get 3.5 hours with everything turned down to off or
minimum...

Mike Pfaiffer

Jun 16, 2003, 12:29:27 PM6/16/03
akd technical support wrote:

A couple of points.

First you crossposted a Mac question to an Apple// group. Specifically
comp.sys.apple2.usergroups. Take a look at the name of the group. It says
Apple2. Since the "/" character is not acceptable in the title of the group
the "//" part of the name has been abbreviated to "2". The Apple// is *NOT*
a Mac. It came before and is a completely a different line. In fact it
funded Mac development before it was killed off in the early 90's as a
potential low cost competitor to the Mac. Do be a little more careful with
where you post your Mac questions next time. Not all computers produced by
Apple were in the Mac line.

The next point is more relevant to your question. Depending on the type of
the battery, a short may eventually develop if it is recharged too soon. It
usually means there is less time available per charge. Best to run the
battery down to zero (or very close to it) before recharging.

Finally, good luck trying to get Apple to listen to you. As both an Apple//
owner (I also own some older Macs) and a writer for and co-owner of a
magazine I have found Apple to be very unresponsive. Your best bet would be
to contact the retailers.

Later
Mike

| Digital Civilization magazine: http://www.digitalcivilization.ca |
| http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.) |
| See my web page before you think about spamming me. I charge cash. |

Fetch, Rover, Fetch

Jun 16, 2003, 7:25:46 PM6/16/03
ignoring the specifics of your situation -
Apple, like all other computer vendors lie (um.... mis state) the amount
of time you get from battery.

The best I have seen on a powerbook (g4) or iBook battery is ~4hours.

That said, 5 hours = 3.5 (apple)
3.5 hours = 1.5 (dell, gateway, compaq)

so... who is better off???