Static IP not working under mac os X

Mitch Bicquet

Jan 29, 2002, 6:06:20 PM1/29/02
Hi, Ive got a router linking my 3 macs to my DSL modem.
It can sevre as a DHCP server if I want.
Under mac OS 9, I was able to select "configure manually" my IP adress and
set it to 192.168.1.2 3 and 4 for each computer and put 192.168.1.1 as a
router, and the mask as 255.255.255.0

Under mac os x, it doesnıt work. It cant find the network, and I need to
select "using DHCP" (then everything works fine, but I cant be sure which
adress each mac gets and thatıs annoying.

Do you know a way to activate static IP or to set up a DHCP client ID to
make sure each mac gets the same adress each time it boots up?

thanks

Mitch Bicquet
x1728...@hotmail.com
remove the "nospam" from my email address to write me

Mike Pfaiffer

Jan 29, 2002, 6:23:16 PM1/29/02
Mitch Bicquet wrote:

The absolutely best advice I can give is to ask your question to Mac
people and not Apple// people. Your message only went to one or maybe
two Mac groups. All the rest went to groups dealing with a different
computer. Try newsgroups with "mac" in the name. You are running a Mac
not an Apple (which was the line used to fund the R&D on the Mac).

Later
Mike

| Digital Civilization magazine: http://www.digitalcivilization.ca |
| http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.) |
| See my web page before you think about spamming me. I charge cash. |

Chris

Jan 29, 2002, 10:01:41 PM1/29/02
In article <B87CE97C.20BC%x1...@hotmail.com>,
Mitch Bicquet <x1...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Why cannot you either use Apple System Profiler or go into your TCP/IP
control panel on each machine and view the IP address there?

Mitch Bicquet

Jan 30, 2002, 3:36:22 AM1/30/02
It's a pain to have to check my IP each time I boot up! I want it not to
change!!
Also, my ISP doesnšt have to assign any numbers. My router has NAT and thus
handles all the adress conversion, the only thing my ISP knows is that my
router is oconnected, and behind it I can have 50 computers if I want, it
won't change anything.

in article nowhere-7377A1...@netnews.attbi.com, Chris at
now...@nothome.com wrote on 1/30/02 4:01 AM:

> In article <B87CE97C.20BC%x1...@hotmail.com>,
> Mitch Bicquet <x1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Ive got a router linking my 3 macs to my DSL modem.
>> It can sevre as a DHCP server if I want.
>> Under mac OS 9, I was able to select "configure manually" my IP adress and
>> set it to 192.168.1.2 3 and 4 for each computer and put 192.168.1.1 as a
>> router, and the mask as 255.255.255.0
>>

>> Under mac os x, it doesnšt work. It cant find the network, and I need to

>> select "using DHCP" (then everything works fine, but I cant be sure which

>> adress each mac gets and thatšs annoying.

Linards Ticmanis

Jan 30, 2002, 6:35:51 AM1/30/02
Mitch Bicquet wrote:

> It's a pain to have to check my IP each time I boot up! I want it not to
> change!!
> Also, my ISP doesnšt have to assign any numbers. My router has NAT and thus
> handles all the adress conversion, the only thing my ISP knows is that my
> router is oconnected, and behind it I can have 50 computers if I want, it
> won't change anything.

None of this changes the fact that this thread doesn't belong in apple2
groups.

--

Linards Ticmanis

The Master said, "The business of laying on the colors follows the
preparation of the plain ground."