Automated start-up and shutdown

jnba

Mar 3, 2003, 11:25:31 PM3/3/03
On my system 9x computers its very easy to set up an automated Uncle Cecil
Fax 876-929-2409 shutdown or start-up.
How does this work in Mac os x? [version 10.1.5]

jnba

Mar 3, 2003, 11:52:22 PM3/3/03
Oops!

On my system 9x computers its very easy to set up an automated shutdown or
start-up. How does this work in Mac OS X? [version 10.1.5]

Mr. Underhill

Mar 4, 2003, 12:31:02 AM3/4/03
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:52:22 -0500, jnba wrote
(in message <BA899B34.15F74%28273...@rogers.com>):

> Oops!
>
> On my system 9x computers its very easy to set up an automated shutdown or
> start-up. How does this work in Mac OS X? [version 10.1.5]

As far as I know, it doesn't. There is no built-in way to do this in Mac OS
X. It is another example of a feature missing in the latest OS.

Mike Pfaiffer

Mar 4, 2003, 2:47:40 PM3/4/03
I'm not an OS X person (more Linux on a PC with a couple Macs to
experiment on actually). However, wouldn't it be possible to write a
shell script and set up a cron job for it?

Later
Mike

| Digital Civilization magazine: http://www.digitalcivilization.ca |
| http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.) |
| See my web page before you think about spamming me. I charge cash. |

Donald Hall

Mar 4, 2003, 11:49:31 PM3/4/03
In article <wp79a.389899$Yo4.12...@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>,
Mike Pfaiffer <mi...@digitalcivilization.ca> wrote:

> Mr. Underhill wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:52:22 -0500, jnba wrote
> > (in message <BA899B34.15F74%28273...@rogers.com>):
> >

> >>Oops!
> >>
> >> On my system 9x computers its very easy to set up an automated shutdown
> >> or
> >>start-up. How does this work in Mac OS X? [version 10.1.5]
> >>

> > As far as I know, it doesn't. There is no built-in way to do this in Mac
> > OS
> > X. It is another example of a feature missing in the latest OS.
> >
> I'm not an OS X person (more Linux on a PC with a couple Macs to
> experiment on actually). However, wouldn't it be possible to write a
> shell script and set up a cron job for it?
>
> Later
> Mike

Take a look at iBeeZz on Version Tracker. cron won't do it - how can it
work when the computer is shut down?

Don

--
Donald S. Hall, Ph.D.
Apps & More Software Design, Inc.

Mike Pfaiffer

Mar 5, 2003, 11:17:01 AM3/5/03
Donald Hall wrote:
> In article <wp79a.389899$Yo4.12...@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>,
> Mike Pfaiffer <mi...@digitalcivilization.ca> wrote:
>

>>Mr. Underhill wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:52:22 -0500, jnba wrote
>>>(in message <BA899B34.15F74%28273...@rogers.com>):

>>>As far as I know, it doesn't. There is no built-in way to do this in Mac
>>>OS
>>>X. It is another example of a feature missing in the latest OS.
>>>

>> I'm not an OS X person (more Linux on a PC with a couple Macs to
>>experiment on actually). However, wouldn't it be possible to write a
>>shell script and set up a cron job for it?
>>
>> Later
>> Mike
>

> Take a look at iBeeZz on Version Tracker. cron won't do it - how can it
> work when the computer is shut down?
>
> Don

Thought he was talking applications rather than computer.

Koncept

Mar 6, 2003, 12:39:36 AM3/6/03
In article <spamback-435FE6...@news.telus.net>, Donald Hall
<spam...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> There is no built-in way to do this in Mac
> > > OS
> > > X. It is another example of a feature missing in the latest OS.

OUCH!

Let me give you a couple Terminal tips for automated shutdown:

sudo shutdown -h now (gracefully shutsdown the computer immediately)
sudo shutdown -h +5 (gracefully shutsdown the computer in 5 minutes)
sudo shutdown -h yymmddhhmm (absolute shutdown ~ yymmddhhmm)
sudo shutdown -r now (restarts the computer immediately)

the -h flag stands for halt, the -r flag stands for restart. If you
don't use one of these flags, the system will bring you into single
user mode.

As for restarting. . . I haven't found it yet, but that does not
suggest that it is not possible.

--
Koncept

David Gillam

Mar 17, 2003, 11:37:37 PM3/17/03
Shooting from the hip here, as I've not tested this on OS X, but with its
BSD underpinnings, it should work:

Sudo init 6

This should shutdown the box, then immediately boot it back up again.

-Dave

On 3/5/03 11:39 PM, in article 060320030039355618%us...@unknown.invalid,

Koncept

Mar 18, 2003, 3:37:37 AM3/18/03

In article <BA9BFEAF.3B6E%David....@usa.com>, David Gillam
<David....@usa.com> wrote:

> Shooting from the hip here, as I've not tested this on OS X, but with its
> BSD underpinnings, it should work:
>
> Sudo init 6
>
> This should shutdown the box, then immediately boot it back up again.
>
> -Dave

Hey Dave. What you suggested will fail and return a message saying that
init is already running. The solution; however, to what you were trying
to suggest would be the following (as I had noted above):

sudo shutdown -r now

=)

--
Koncept