No educational prices for MS Office 2016 for Mac from Apple?

Ant

Feb 23, 2017, 7:31:44 AM2/23/17
Hello.

Is it me or does
http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
(educational price with USC) and
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
show the same price for $149.95 while other stores are cheaper.

Shouldn't Apple's educational price be cheaper or do I really need to go
other store (e.g., Amazon). Also, I assume it is download only and no
physical copies.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is
a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until... Oh, what the hell,

Phillip Jones

Feb 23, 2017, 10:20:26 PM2/23/17
Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is it me or does
> http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
> (educational price with USC) and
> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
> show the same price for $149.95 while other stores are cheaper.
>
> Shouldn't Apple's educational price be cheaper or do I really need to go
> other store (e.g., Amazon). Also, I assume it is download only and no
> physical copies.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
Apple has no control over Microsoft pricing, Odds are apple is most
likely charged more to carry than Microsoft can from their own store.
When 2011 came out pricing of Office Mac was relatively Cheap. The
policy changed when they began Office 365 Subscription . In fact
standalone licensed version are priced so high its actually cheaper to
go through all the pain of subscription than buy the standalone version.
And as added incentive or dis-incentive (depends upon how you are
looking at it) there many added features you only have access to when
you subscribe to Office 365, than in the Standalone version.
Microsoft has a nasty habit of treating Apple like a
"red-headed-Step-Child".
--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjon...@comcast.net

David B.

Feb 24, 2017, 2:54:35 AM2/24/17
On 24/02/2017 03:20, Phillip Jones wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is it me or does
>> http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
>>
>> (educational price with USC) and
>> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
>>
>> show the same price for $149.95 while other stores are cheaper.
>>
>> Shouldn't Apple's educational price be cheaper or do I really need to go
>> other store (e.g., Amazon). Also, I assume it is download only and no
>> physical copies.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
> Apple has no control over Microsoft pricing, Odds are apple is most
> likely charged more to carry than Microsoft can from their own store.
> When 2011 came out pricing of Office Mac was relatively Cheap. The
> policy changed when they began Office 365 Subscription . In fact
> standalone licensed version are priced so high its actually cheaper to
> go through all the pain of subscription than buy the standalone version.
> And as added incentive or dis-incentive (depends upon how you are
> looking at it) there many added features you only have access to when
> you subscribe to Office 365, than in the Standalone version.
> Microsoft has a nasty habit of treating Apple like a
> "red-headed-Step-Child".

Hello Phillip - nice to see you! :-)

In which group did you reply to 'Ant'?

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Ant

Feb 24, 2017, 6:02:36 AM2/24/17
On 2/23/2017 7:20 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is it me or does
>> http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
>>
>> (educational price with USC) and
>> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
>>
>> show the same price for $149.95 while other stores are cheaper.
>>
>> Shouldn't Apple's educational price be cheaper or do I really need to go
>> other store (e.g., Amazon). Also, I assume it is download only and no
>> physical copies.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
> Apple has no control over Microsoft pricing, Odds are apple is most
> likely charged more to carry than Microsoft can from their own store.
> When 2011 came out pricing of Office Mac was relatively Cheap. The
> policy changed when they began Office 365 Subscription . In fact
> standalone licensed version are priced so high its actually cheaper to
> go through all the pain of subscription than buy the standalone version.
> And as added incentive or dis-incentive (depends upon how you are
> looking at it) there many added features you only have access to when
> you subscribe to Office 365, than in the Standalone version.
> Microsoft has a nasty habit of treating Apple like a
> "red-headed-Step-Child".

Thanks. :)
--
"Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways and be wise: which
having no guide, overseer or ruler, provideth her meat in the summer and

Kurt V. Ullman

Feb 24, 2017, 9:25:54 AM2/24/17
On 2/24/17 6:02 AM, Ant wrote:

>>> Thank you in advance. :)
>> Apple has no control over Microsoft pricing, Odds are apple is most
>> likely charged more to carry than Microsoft can from their own store.
>> When 2011 came out pricing of Office Mac was relatively Cheap. The
>> policy changed when they began Office 365 Subscription . In fact
>> standalone licensed version are priced so high its actually cheaper to
>> go through all the pain of subscription than buy the standalone version.
>> And as added incentive or dis-incentive (depends upon how you are
>> looking at it) there many added features you only have access to when
>> you subscribe to Office 365, than in the Standalone version.
>> Microsoft has a nasty habit of treating Apple like a
>> "red-headed-Step-Child".
>
> Thanks. :)
I wondered why I never saw you and Ant together in the same place. ;)
Now we know your secret identity..

Ant

Feb 24, 2017, 2:24:12 PM2/24/17
:P
--
"... The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems,
bringing them into focus, illuminating issues heretofore unseen. Or they

RJH

Feb 24, 2017, 9:30:30 PM2/24/17
On 23/02/2017 12:31, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is it me or does
> http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
> (educational price with USC) and
> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
> show the same price for $149.95 while other stores are cheaper.
>
> Shouldn't Apple's educational price be cheaper or do I really need to go
> other store (e.g., Amazon). Also, I assume it is download only and no
> physical copies.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

May well be different elsewhere, but I get the standalone full version
of Office 2016 for a few pounds/dollars through my UK university employer.

--
Cheers, Rob

Ant

Feb 24, 2017, 10:17:26 PM2/24/17
I recently was told 2016 can be free:
http://itservices.usc.edu/officefacstaff/ for being an active USC member
which is even better! :D
--
"I grew up in airports and on air bases. I know what flying and airports
can be. And most airports make me feel like we're about three per cent

RJH

Feb 24, 2017, 10:32:16 PM2/24/17
On 25/02/2017 03:17, Ant wrote:
> On 2/24/2017 6:30 PM, RJH wrote:
>> On 23/02/2017 12:31, Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Is it me or does
>>> http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
>>>

>>> (educational price with USC) and
>>> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac
>>>

>>> show the same price for $149.95 while other stores are cheaper.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't Apple's educational price be cheaper or do I really need to go
>>> other store (e.g., Amazon). Also, I assume it is download only and no
>>> physical copies.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance. :)
>>
>> May well be different elsewhere, but I get the standalone full version
>> of Office 2016 for a few pounds/dollars through my UK university
>> employer.
>
> I recently was told 2016 can be free:
> http://itservices.usc.edu/officefacstaff/ for being an active USC member
> which is even better! :D

I think mine 'phones home' in some way. Perhaps to check the
registration applies to a current employee. But who knows what else?
Same with the work sponsored Win10 I have on this Mac's bootcamp partition.

I suspect the lunch is not free ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Ant

Feb 25, 2017, 6:26:17 AM2/25/17
In microsoft.public.mac.office RJH <patch...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > I recently was told 2016 can be free:
> > http://itservices.usc.edu/officefacstaff/ for being an active USC member
> > which is even better! :D

> I think mine 'phones home' in some way. Perhaps to check the
> registration applies to a current employee. But who knows what else?
> Same with the work sponsored Win10 I have on this Mac's bootcamp partition.

> I suspect the lunch is not free ;-)

Yeah, I am worried about that too. From what I read, it is only for
seeing if the installation is valid. Darn DRM! :(
--
Quote of the Week: "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as
follows: restless aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal