ipod Connection

Ginga Chris

Oct 16, 2003, 2:48:09 AM10/16/03
Hey all,

Right, I'm thinking about getting one of the new 40gb ipods soonish (if I
can get my hands on one!) and I was wondering about my USB connection .

At the mo, I have a 667mHz Intel Celeron, 64Mb Ram and original USB- to
upgrade to USB 2.0, and get a faster transfer time, would all I have to do
is slap a USB 2.0 card in the spre slot, and go, or will I need anything
else to get a decent performance? Note, I said DECENT performance, not
perfect!

Thanx a lot,

Chris

--
©Ginger Publications 2003

REMOVE NOSPAMEVER TO REPLY

Ric

Oct 16, 2003, 3:23:43 AM10/16/03
Ginga Chris wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Right, I'm thinking about getting one of the new 40gb ipods soonish
> (if I can get my hands on one!) and I was wondering about my USB
> connection .
>
> At the mo, I have a 667mHz Intel Celeron, 64Mb Ram and original USB-
> to upgrade to USB 2.0, and get a faster transfer time, would all I
> have to do is slap a USB 2.0 card in the spre slot, and go, or will I
> need anything else to get a decent performance? Note, I said DECENT
> performance, not perfect!
>
> Thanx a lot,
>
> Chris

That's pretty much all you need. You'll also need to purchase the
USB+firewire cable from Apple as the iPod comes with only the firewire cable
(unless they've changed this for the 40gb model. I bought a 30gb 3 weeks
before they replaced it with the 40gb!). You may want to consider getting a
firewire PCI card instead of a USB 2.0 card and just use the firewire cable
that comes with the iPod. The speed of firewire and USB 2 are pretty much
the same but the iPod can be charged from the firewire cable, but not from
the USB cable. The USB+firewire cable is actually 2 cables in one, with the
USB plug going into your computer for data transfer, and the firewire plug
going into the AC adapater for charging (although you can use it for data
too). The 2-in-1 cable is rather bulky, so firewire is a bit nicer, unless
you need the USB cable to use on other computers. There are also a number of
PCI cards with both USB 2.0 and firewire ports which might be a good option
if you want the USB 2.0 for other peripherals but want to use a single cable
for charging and syncing the iPod...

Ric

Allen Shute

Oct 18, 2003, 12:45:42 PM10/18/03
Chris,

Another thing you need to be aware of is that USB will not work on a machine
running ME. It's not very clear when you buy the ipod, you have to go
looking for it. I ended up having to buy a firewire card.

Allen.
"Ginga Chris" <papeman1N...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ginga Chris

Oct 19, 2003, 6:52:34 AM10/19/03
Yeah, I had heard that- so I found a nice £22 firewire card on Amazon to go
with it!

Hurrah!

Chris

"Allen Shute" <ashute...@clara.co.uk> wrote in message