HP/Apollo 400 Keyboard

Nathaniel Grady

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
I recently aquired a HP/Apollo 400 series, but i lack a hp/apollo keyboard.
The connector is the same as an AT-style pc keyboard, and i seem to remember
having used a pc-style keyboard on a 300 series a while ago. Unfortunatally
the self-tests don't find a keyboard if i use an PC AT-style one. I looked
around but i can't find much info on the keyboard for the machine - if the
protocal is different from a normal pc one i could probably just make an
emulator for it wiht a pic or someting but i'm stuck for lack of info.

tia,
Nathaniel Grady
na...@logicprobe.org

Paul Szabo

Aug 29, 2000, 2:40:45 PM8/29/00
Nathaniel Grady wrote:
> I recently aquired a HP/Apollo 400 series, but i lack a hp/apollo keyboard.
> The connector is the same as an AT-style pc keyboard, and i seem to remember
> having used a pc-style keyboard on a 300 series a while ago. Unfortunatally
> the self-tests don't find a keyboard if i use an PC AT-style one.

I guess you want to run HP-UX on the machine: then you will need a HP-HIL
keyboard, with the phone-style connector. The PC-style connector is for a
Domain keyboard, to run Domain/OS; this keyboard is not compatible with PCs.

--
Paul Szabo - p...@maths.usyd.edu.au http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics University of Sydney 2006 Australia

Ronnie M. Lajoie

Sep 5, 2000, 5:36:15 PM9/5/00
to Nathaniel Grady
Nathaniel Grady wrote:

> I recently aquired a HP/Apollo 400 series, but i lack a hp/apollo keyboard.
> The connector is the same as an AT-style pc keyboard, and i seem to remember
> having used a pc-style keyboard on a 300 series a while ago. Unfortunatally
> the self-tests don't find a keyboard if i use an PC AT-style one. I looked
> around but i can't find much info on the keyboard for the machine - if the
> protocal is different from a normal pc one i could probably just make an
> emulator for it wiht a pic or someting but i'm stuck for lack of info.
>
> tia,
> Nathaniel Grady
> na...@logicprobe.org

If you plan to run the Domain operating system, you will need an
Apollo keyboard. I have several used ones in my closet that I have
kept for spare parts. The keyboards work okay (I will have to
double check that) but the mice are not in the greatest shape.
I bought all my Apollo at computer surplus sales, and the folks
who toss out their old stuff are not kind to keyboards and mice.

If you live in the United States, I could sell you one for $15
(assuming it checks out okay), which should cover shipping costs.

-- Ronnie Lajoie

Charlie Root

Sep 7, 2000, 5:41:11 AM9/7/00
Thanks to everyone who responded - I guess now I'm looking for an HP-HIL
keyboard, but I think HP-HIL is documented enought that I can probably
hack an emulator for it (-:

--Nathaniel Grady

JRosow

Sep 19, 2000, 8:13:33 PM9/19/00
Computer Locators Int'l, Inc still sells HP/Apollo product....We have that
keyboard in stock for $35....Feel free to call me at the office at (561)
627-7797....if you wish to order it....

Julie D. Rosow