Locolink for Windows: Locoscript Files to Windows Format

Phil Richards

Apr 22, 2002, 7:10:19 PM4/22/02
Has anyone bought & used this program to convert the locoscript file format
to, say, MS Word? I have Locoscript PC Easy and am looking to convert the
files to MS Word. I've been in touch with Ainsible Information requesting if
their (cheaper) program Ailink will do the job, apparently it won't work
with Locoscript PC Easy files, only the unconverted PCW versions 1, 2 or 3
formats. I've downloaded a program called "Winconvertor" which actually
converts PC Easy files to MS Word (version 2) but the tab settings are all
lost.

The info on www.locoscript.com says "The conversion of files is not always
100% and you may have to carry out some re-editing with your Windows word
processor". I'm concerned about the original tab settings being left as they
were and as many of my files were composed in French, German etc. whether or
not the accented letters will be converted properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Phil

Howard Fisher

Apr 25, 2002, 2:48:52 PM4/25/02
In article <aa25bp$799b4$1...@ID-109997.news.dfncis.de>, Phil Richards
<philri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

>The info on www.locoscript.com says "The conversion of files is not always
>100% and you may have to carry out some re-editing with your Windows word
>processor". I'm concerned about the original tab settings being left as they
>were and as many of my files were composed in French, German etc. whether or
>not the accented letters will be converted properly?

You will probably be disappointed with what LocoLink for Windows will do
with foreign characters and tabs. It uses the Word for Word converters,
and being American they were fairly oblivious to anything other than
ASCII.

For foreign conversions the best option is to get LocoScript
Professional and use its export to Wordperfect which was written by
Locomotive and is considerably more thorough. Then a reasonably up to
date Wordperfect for Windows will help with the final part of the
conversion. From memory that conversion also does a better job with the
tab stops on the ruler line, but I'm less certain about that.
--
Howard Fisher