Tape game to .WAV files

148 views
Skip to first unread message

Matthew Johnson

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 1:43:54 AM12/20/01
to
Has anyone managed to record tape games to a WAV file. I want to burn my
old tapes onto a CD. I have for half a day with various volume
levels/sample rates/bit dept with no success. The games won't load. I am
using a SoundBlaser Live.

When I look at the audio file in an editor and compare it to a file
generated using cpc2tape (which do load) the cpc2tape file looks way cleaner
(as you would expect).

Thanks, Matt


johnny farragut

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 5:08:33 AM12/20/01
to
Hi

> Has anyone managed to record tape games to a WAV file. I want to burn my
> old tapes onto a CD. I have for half a day with various volume
> levels/sample rates/bit dept with no success. The games won't load. I am
> using a SoundBlaser Live.

I've done it under w98 using Goldwave to record the tapes (and I have a
Sound Blaster Live too). First, I recorded the games to VOC, as I could
convert them to the CDT format. The VOCs were 44100 hz 8 bit mono, it's
important.
Then, I stored as WAV files the games I managed to load as CDT with Arnold.
You can also try to load directly the VOCs -or even the WAVs with
Multimachine.
The WAVs I stored were 16 bit stereo, because I wanted to record them in an
audio CD-R. Then, I put the CD in a discman, and connected the discman to a
tape like the one used to listen the discman in a car (It's a fake tape,
with a wire that translates the signal of the discman to the head of the
car's tape reader; or, in my case, to the head of the CPC464 datacorder).
And it worked. I've managed to load with my old 464: Prince of Persia, Oh
Mummy, Ghouls'n Ghosts, Camelot Warriors... The problem is that you have to
be sticked to the computer to pause the CD-reader when the datacorder stops
(when it asks you for infinite lives if it's hacked, between levels, etc.).
One more thing: it's easier to connect directly the CD reader (the discman)
to the CPC 6128, if you have one. But, it's not as funny!!! (and you won't
know when the CPC tries to stop the datacorder, so you won't know when you
have to pause de discman).

Un saludo


James Churchill

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 7:04:37 AM12/20/01
to
> One more thing: it's easier to connect directly the CD reader (the
discman)
> to the CPC 6128, if you have one. But, it's not as funny!!! (and you won't
> know when the CPC tries to stop the datacorder, so you won't know when you
> have to pause de discman).

It's easy to tell when to pause the CD on a CPC6128 - the relay (*inside*
the CPC) makes a quite loud *CLICK* when it toggles the remote line. Or you
could wire up a simple LED circuit to the remote line to get a visual
indication.

----
James Churchill
pel...@hotmail.com


johnny farragut

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 5:00:27 PM12/20/01
to
> It's easy to tell when to pause the CD on a CPC6128 - the relay (*inside*
> the CPC) makes a quite loud *CLICK* when it toggles the remote line. Or
you
> could wire up a simple LED circuit to the remote line to get a visual
> indication.
The solution with the LED is better because, sometimes, when loading a
program, the relay clicks but the datacorder doesn't stop, so it's not too
much reliable... Every time the datacorder stops you have a click before,
but not everytime it clicks, the datacorder stops.


Matthew Johnson

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 8:43:42 AM12/22/01
to

> > Has anyone managed to record tape games to a WAV file. I want to burn
my

> I've done it under w98 using Goldwave to record the tapes (and I have a
> Sound Blaster Live too). First, I recorded the games to VOC, as I could
> convert them to the CDT format. The VOCs were 44100 hz 8 bit mono, it's
> important.

Is there a particular advantage to using a VOC file? I don't know if I have
a program that does that. I'll give 44100 8 bit mono a go, it may be the
only format I didn't try!

> The WAVs I stored were 16 bit stereo, because I wanted to record them in
an
> audio CD-R. Then, I put the CD in a discman, and connected the discman to
a
> tape like the one used to listen the discman in a car (It's a fake tape,

This is exactly what I've done, only I have only managed to do it using
files from .dsk images using cpc2tape to convert the files to .wavs. I now
have a test CD with 15 games that load fine. The problem is that most games
won't convert well from disc to tape loading, which is why I want to use
copies of the games I still have working tapes for.

> The problem is that you have to
> be sticked to the computer to pause the CD-reader when the datacorder
stops
> (when it asks you for infinite lives if it's hacked, between levels,
etc.).

I edited out the cheat modes, and left gaps on the recording to get around
this. Of course I havn't used any multi-load games, so It's less of a
problem. All the games I have load straight in without intervetion. I only
have to remember to stop the CD player.


johnny farragut

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 10:47:26 AM12/22/01
to
> Is there a particular advantage to using a VOC file? I don't know if I
have
> a program that does that. I'll give 44100 8 bit mono a go, it may be the
> only format I didn't try!

I recorded the tapes as VOC files only for one reason: you can convert them
to the CDT format easily, with VO2TZX. So, at the end, I had every game of
the tapes in two formats: CDT for use with emulators, and WAV for use with
the real CPC. And I recorded the VOCs before the WAVs to test the games with
the emulator before I burned them to the CD... (and, I insist, you can load
the games as WAVs with Multimachine, but Arnold loads the games much better
for me -and it only reads VOCs or CDTs).

> This is exactly what I've done, only I have only managed to do it using
> files from .dsk images using cpc2tape to convert the files to .wavs. I
now
> have a test CD with 15 games that load fine. The problem is that most
games
> won't convert well from disc to tape loading, which is why I want to use
> copies of the games I still have working tapes for.

Do you want a exchange? ;-D. My CD has Arkanoid II, Camelot Warriors,
Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Golden Axe, Live and let die, Oh Mummy and Prince of
Persia; very few games, but, i.e., Prince of Persia lasts to load ¡20
minutes! (it's multi-load).
And there's a big list of games waiting to be recorded as WAVs (they work as
CDTs): Living Daylights, Abu Simbel, Air Cobra, Alien Break-In, Amsdraw,
Animal, Vegetal, Mineral, Arnhem, Aton, Batalla de Inglaterra, Blagger,
Cauldron II, Classic Arcadia Pack, Double Dragon I, Easy Word Processor,
Formula One Simulator, Fruit Machine, Ghostbusters, Haunted Edges, Max,
Rally 2, Ratas del Desierto, Roland on the run, Scooby Doo, Teatro Europa,
and Warzone. Some of them have not been released as DSK before (some of the
spanish ones), but they are too bad! ;-D. And there is a pair programs you
might want, I don't know how they work but they are meaned to copy games
between tapes (and between tapes and discs?): Amscanner, and Copión IV.

> I edited out the cheat modes, and left gaps on the recording to get around
> this. Of course I havn't used any multi-load games, so It's less of a
> problem. All the games I have load straight in without intervetion. I
only
> have to remember to stop the CD player.

That's a real problem, and I can do nothing about it with my games from the
tapes... :-(

Un saludo...


Matthew Johnson

unread,
Dec 23, 2001, 7:08:26 PM12/23/01
to
You wouldn't beleive it, but the problem seems to be with Windows NT. The
games load fine from Win95. After all that! Maybe Windows NT is using a
default EAX setting which is messing things up. I don't really have the
software for NT installed properly, just the drivers.

I used 44.1 kHz 8 bit mono, but I have a feeling that a lower frequency may
work, but I couldn't be bothered trying now

> Do you want a exchange? ;-D. My CD has Arkanoid II, Camelot Warriors,

Unfortunatly none of the games you mentioned interest me, Except Rally II
which I already have. Which country are you in? I'm in Australia.

For the record, the games which I have managed to extract from .dsk files
and reverse engeneer to tape using cpc2tape are as follows:

Angleball (Run .bin File)
Astro Attack (Run .bin File)
Balldozer (already just a .bin file
Chessmaster2000
Emotion
Juggernaught
Killapede (Edit Basic Loader)
Loopz (Edit Basic Loader)
Pipemania (Run .bin file)
Rally II (Edit Basic Loader)
Sentinel (Edit Basic Loader
Thrust

(In brackets, the method used, where I can remember off the top of my head)

You'll notice most of these games are puzzle/strategy type games. These are
the kind I am insterested in. I have bulk racing/sports games on Megadrive
and Playstation and don't really see the point in playing these types of
games on the CPC. However Sentinel on the CPC is just as good as Sentinel
Returns on the Playstation.

I will probably spend tomorrow burning another CD. I'll let you know how it
goes.

Cya, Matt


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages