IBM PPC Open Mainboard for Amiga!

Volker Grabbe

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Who whant to help me to develop a software emulation to use the Amiga
OS3.5 or higher for selling an PPC-G3 Amiga?
I need Programmers fot the system "BIOS" (based on UAE for emulation
of ECS/AGA, input.device, parallel.device, serial.device)
For Grafikdrivers based on Picasso96 (for Riva TNT2 or Savage 4)
For an USB Device, SanaII-Device(Ethernet on Boards!), AHI(Sound on
Board)
USB Products like Scanners, Printers, Modems, ISDN Modems, cameras

The Hardware Information are on:

www.chips.ibm.com/products/powerpc/linux/

Greetings

Volker Grabbe

amigabill

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
"VG" == "Volker Grabbe" writes:

VG> Who whant to help me to develop a software emulation to use the
VG> Amiga OS3.5 or higher for selling an PPC-G3 Amiga? I need
VG> Programmers fot the system "BIOS" (based on UAE for emulation of
VG> ECS/AGA, input.device, parallel.device, serial.device) For
VG> Grafikdrivers based on Picasso96 (for Riva TNT2 or Savage 4) For
VG> an USB Device, SanaII-Device(Ethernet on Boards!), AHI(Sound on
VG> Board) USB Products like Scanners, Printers, Modems, ISDN Modems,
VG> cameras
VG>
VG> The Hardware Information are on:
VG>
VG> www.chips.ibm.com/products/powerpc/linux/

You could try and treat the thing like the Draco, and just ignore
ECS/AGA and depend on P96 or CGX drivers, for when no AGA software is
running as well, which would hopefully make any 68K software that
uses RTG run better than if the ECS/AGA stuff was a full-time thing.
Sounds like an interesting idea you have. I'm busy with other
projects and don't have the time to help, but I'd be real interested
in seeing this happen. You also shouldn't need to emulate the
serial/parallel devices via UAE methods, just write a new
ibmppcser.device, ibmppcpar.device, etc. and let people select that
instead of serial.device. Or maybe I misinterpreted what you said
and this is what you meant. I don't believe I have any software that
is hard coded to use the Amiga's native serial or parallel ports, so
this shouldn't cause too many problems. Then we need to get someone
set up with some BGA chip equipment to remove the G3 chip and put a
Motorola G4 in its place on IBM's boards, or get someone to redo the
board to support G4 which would be the better idea.. ;) Now that
would be cool...

I like the idea of having two AGP slots (or did I misread that and it
means 2x speed, one slot), though if anything is done with this I
think the ISA debug slot and the audio chip off the ISA bus (from
IBM's block diagram) should be left out of any machine produced for
our intentions, and change that 60X bus to the 750 (G3) bus at
least, if not to the specialized G4 bus allowing multiprocessor
support, and of course up the L2 cache to 2MB MAX for G4 use. And
that flash mem shouldn't be optional,I'd put at least 2MB FLASH
standard if it was me. Then upgrading Kickstart would be less of a
hassle, even with things like the Macintosh emulator patches and
other things, and we wouldn't have to swap chips for a major OS
update.

Bill

Paolo Costabel

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
In article <37E9D9CE.MD...@itbnet.de>,
"Volker Grabbe" <vgr...@itbnet.de> wrote:
> Who whant to help me to develop a software emulation to use the Amiga

> OS3.5 or higher for selling an PPC-G3 Amiga?
> I need Programmers fot the system "BIOS" (based on UAE for emulation
> of ECS/AGA, input.device, parallel.device, serial.device)
> For Grafikdrivers based on Picasso96 (for Riva TNT2 or Savage 4)
> For an USB Device, SanaII-Device(Ethernet on Boards!), AHI(Sound on
> Board)
> USB Products like Scanners, Printers, Modems, ISDN Modems, cameras

> The Hardware Information are on:
>
> www.chips.ibm.com/products/powerpc/linux/
>
> Greetings
>
> Volker Grabbe

This is a very good idea, indeed. I was thinking along the same lines,
and I'm willing to help. My question is: is hardware based on this
design available? What platform do you plan to use to develop this
emulator? My understanding is that at present there are no products
available. Actually I was wondering if Phase5 would use this design for
their AMIRAGE: it would speed up developement and provide compatibility
with other products based on the same motherboard. Infact, I was
wondering if it would be possible to start an "Open Hardware"
initiative, where a community will develop the design for a new
platform. The problem is that someone has to actually build the thing...
Is there any way to have a particular design implemented by a Taiwan
manufacturer by ordering a certain amount of boards? We could pay in
advance for the boards, and someone could collect the money and produce
the thing...
Sound crazy or what?

Paolo Costabel Unite for Java! http://www.javalobby.org
Sony Imageworks