Amiga battery question (ASAP!)

Blake Patterson

Oct 2, 2000, 10:32:51 PM10/2/00

The battery that came in the factory-new A2000 I just received (no,
it's not leaked on the mobo!) states this:

VARTA
Ni/Cd
3/V60R
3,6V 60mAh
14h 6mA
072

The physically identical (aside from color) replacement I just ordered
from a battery shop (did not list it as an Amiga battery...just a
battery) states:

VARTA
Ni/Cd
3/V60RT
3.6V 40mAh
14h 4mA
094

...can I use it to replace the Amiga battery, or is it too weak??

Thanks.

bp
--
"Heisenberg may have slept here."

wilson mr

Oct 2, 2000, 11:46:36 PM10/2/00

Blake Patterson wrote:

> The battery that came in the factory-new A2000 I just received (no,
> it's not leaked on the mobo!) states this:
[details omitted]
>60mAh ... 14h 6mA

> The physically identical (aside from color) replacement I just ordered
> from a battery shop (did not list it as an Amiga battery...just a
> battery) states:
[details omitted]
>40mAh ... 14h 4mA

> ...can I use it to replace the Amiga battery, or is it too weak??

The difference between 60 and 40 milliampere-hours of storage should
only be a
problem if months and months pass between times when you turn your
machine on,
and then you only run it for so few minutes that the battery does not
have time
to re-charge. The second sets of numbers above also reflect this
difference:
14 hours to discharge for either one, but at 6 milliamps for the
original vs
4 milliamps for the replacement. The current required to run clock and
NVRAM
is far smaller than 1 milliamp (sorry, I have no specs on the actual
number
nor do I know by how much charge rates may differ from discharge rates).

-- Mike Wilson

Blake Patterson

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00

I see. So...there's no danger that the smaller capacity battery would
be "overloaded" or somethign by the current the Amiga 2000 is hitting it
with to charge it, eh? I am going to put the battery on a teather (to
get it off the mobo) so it'll be supereasy to replace it if it doesn't
work out as far as not holding charge, etc.

bp

Clockmeister

Oct 3, 2000, 3:48:18 PM10/3/00

Blake Patterson wrote in message <39D9C8F7...@blakespot.com>...

> I see. So...there's no danger that the smaller capacity battery would
>be "overloaded" or somethign by the current the Amiga 2000 is hitting it
>with to charge it, eh? I am going to put the battery on a teather (to
>get it off the mobo) so it'll be supereasy to replace it if it doesn't
>work out as far as not holding charge, etc.

The battery will work perfectly, the battery will only draw as much current
as is needed to charge it.

Regards,

Clockmeister.

Marcel DeVoe

Oct 3, 2000, 11:51:29 PM10/3/00

Actually, rechargable batteries don't actually "draw" charging current,
they will accept as much current as you feed to them as they are
practically a short circuit to current and need to be current limited
to a few milliamps through resistors to prevent overcharging. That's
what's in the Amiga's charging circuit. "Trickle charged" is the common
term.

So as you probably meant to say, there should be no danger of overcharging
the lower capacity rated one he bought. ;-)

"Fast charge" NiCads such as used in some power tools will accept a higher
charging current and fully charge within a couple of hours with their
particular special chargers.

Put a normal NiCad in one of those and you risk overchaging it and even
having it explode.

--
Marcel J. DeVoe - mde...@shore.net - Team *AMIGA*
A4091scsi CV64 96 megs CDRW M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION/Emplant

Clockmeister

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

Marcel DeVoe wrote in message <5PxC5.443$sL2....@news.shore.net>...

>In comp.sys.amiga.tech Clockmeister <gerr...@tnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Blake Patterson wrote in message <39D9C8F7...@blakespot.com>...
>>>
>>> I see. So...there's no danger that the smaller capacity battery would
>>>be "overloaded" or somethign by the current the Amiga 2000 is hitting it
>>>with to charge it, eh? I am going to put the battery on a teather (to
>>>get it off the mobo) so it'll be supereasy to replace it if it doesn't
>>>work out as far as not holding charge, etc.
>>>

>> The battery will work perfectly, the battery will only draw as much
current
>> as is needed to charge it.
>
>Actually, rechargable batteries don't actually "draw" charging current,
>they will accept as much current as you feed to them as they are
>practically a short circuit to current and need to be current limited
>to a few milliamps through resistors to prevent overcharging. That's
>what's in the Amiga's charging circuit. "Trickle charged" is the common
>term.
>
>So as you probably meant to say, there should be no danger of overcharging
>the lower capacity rated one he bought. ;-)

*I* knew what I meant, but didn't put it across very well ;-)

Regards,

Clockmeister.

Patrick Ford

Oct 5, 2000, 9:03:53 PM10/5/00
Blake Patterson wrote:

> The battery that came in the factory-new A2000 I just received (no,
> it's not leaked on the mobo!) states this:
>

> 3,6V 60mAh

> 3.6V 40mAh

> ...can I use it to replace the Amiga battery, or is it too weak??

3.6V is not weaker than 3.6V. The mAh rating describes its its power
capacity, not strength. Batteries don't have a strength rating at all.
It will supply power for only two thirds as long. If the 60mAh keeps time
for 9 months, the 40mAh will only do six months.

Use it and turn your computer on more often.

+ =================================+
Patrick Ford
Auckland, New Zealand

Harvesters, send spam directly to:
ro...@127.0.0.1
abuse@!--#echo var
news.admin.ne...@myriad.alias.net

Patrick Ford

Oct 5, 2000, 9:10:12 PM10/5/00
Blake Patterson wrote:

> I see. So...there's no danger that the smaller capacity battery would
> be "overloaded" or somethign by the current the Amiga 2000 is hitting it
> with to charge it, eh?

The A2000 is not "hitting it" with any current. It is applying a voltage,
which is exactly what it requires.