Interesting setup... Must use to write Amiga disks - help!

Blake Patterson

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00

This is what I have at my disposal:

- "blue&white" G3 400 Mac
- USB
- Actual serial port (like oldschool Mac, added on)
- Zip drive internal
- No floppy

- i-opener PC ("hacked" running Win98)
- USB
- No serial
- Parallel
- No floppy

(Mac and PC on ethernet LAN -- this is my home setup)

- A spare Zip SCSI drive, external

With this setup, I'd like to establish a way to get ADF files from my
LAN HD to the Amiga, ending up as Amiga floppies. I believe no add-on
USB floppy drive will write 720K DOS disks. Does anyone have any ideas
how I can get this working??

The easiest thing I can think of is to snag some SCSI external HD
system (GVP?) for the A500 and hang the Zip drive off there and hope the
Amiga 500 in question is capable of reading DOS Zip disks. But there's
no such drives avail. for auction right now other than this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=410272472

...and I'm not sure of the capabilities of this unit. I'd rather have
a GVP, etc. but maybe this is one to go for. Don't think it even has
drivers with it.

Anyway -- can anyone help me? Thanks.

bp

wookie

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00

Blake Patterson wrote in message <399AD057...@blakespot.com>...

> This is what I have at my disposal:
>
> - "blue&white" G3 400 Mac
> - USB
> - Actual serial port (like oldschool Mac, added on)
> - Zip drive internal
> - No floppy

> With this setup, I'd like to establish a way to get ADF files from my

>LAN HD to the Amiga, ending up as Amiga floppies. I believe no add-on
>USB floppy drive will write 720K DOS disks. Does anyone have any ideas
>how I can get this working??

The zip drive option should work with crossdos..although it does seem a long
winded method..and expensive too
You say the mac has an add on serial port...
Why not just buy a null modem cable (approx £5) and just transfer files over
that using Term software ??
OK, it`ll be slower (I used to get about 50K/s reliably on a 1200, so a 500
should be good for 28K/s)

Blake Patterson

Aug 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/17/00

Heh...I forgot to list one machine on that list of assets -- my
NeXTstation. It has a 2.88MB 3.5" drive that will read and write to a
720K DOS floppy. That's all I need, I suppose. Bit roundabout, but...

bp

--
"Heisenberg may have slept here."

Marko

Aug 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/17/00
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:33:11 -0400, Blake Patterson wrote:

> This is what I have at my disposal:
>
> - "blue&white" G3 400 Mac
> - USB
> - Actual serial port (like oldschool Mac, added on)
> - Zip drive internal
> - No floppy
>

> - i-opener PC ("hacked" running Win98)
> - USB
> - No serial
> - Parallel
> - No floppy
>
> (Mac and PC on ethernet LAN -- this is my home setup)
>
> - A spare Zip SCSI drive, external
>

> With this setup, I'd like to establish a way to get ADF files from my
> LAN HD to the Amiga, ending up as Amiga floppies. I believe no add-on
> USB floppy drive will write 720K DOS disks. Does anyone have any ideas
> how I can get this working??
>

> The easiest thing I can think of is to snag some SCSI external HD
> system (GVP?) for the A500 and hang the Zip drive off there and hope the
> Amiga 500 in question is capable of reading DOS Zip disks. But there's
> no such drives avail. for auction right now other than this:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=410272472
>
> ...and I'm not sure of the capabilities of this unit. I'd rather have
> a GVP, etc. but maybe this is one to go for. Don't think it even has
> drivers with it.
>
> Anyway -- can anyone help me? Thanks.
>

> bp

The easiest way? hmmm... Send your ADFs - via internet - to your email
account from one comp, and get from next comp.

marko