Tech Help Needed w/Quantum HD in GVP A500+

Silent Joe

Dec 20, 2000, 10:11:16 PM12/20/00

I have an Amiga 500 with a GVP A500+ Series II SCSI Hard Drive. It
currently has a 50MB Quantum ProDrive installed and I would like to
upgrade it. I was told that you could install a maximum of a 1GB Hard
Drive in a GVP A500+, so I bought a Quantum 1GB Fireball SCSI Hard
Drive.

I installed the drive, booted Workbench from disk, and then loaded my
GVP Install Disk. My system doesn't recognize the hard drive and when I
try to format it I get an error message that says something like this:

Cannot find GVPSCSI.device
EPROM in? Autobooting Enabled? Binddrivers on?

Does anybody know if the Quantum 1GB Fireball hard drive is compatible
with the GVP A500+? I swapped the jumpers on the hard drive in all
configurations and still received the same error. I even called the
Quantum Customer Support Line, but the tech didn't seem to comprehend
that an Amiga 500 wasn't an IBM Compatible computer.

Does anyone know what the maximum storage capacity of a GVP A500+ is? I
think I've seen them with 540MB drives, but at the time I bought it the
only drives available were 50MB, 120MB, and 260MB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ACMEJoe

Basmati Kasaar

Dec 21, 2000, 1:55:05 AM12/21/00
> Hi,
>
> I have an Amiga 500 with a GVP A500+ Series II SCSI Hard Drive. It
> currently has a 50MB Quantum ProDrive installed and I would like to
> upgrade it. I was told that you could install a maximum of a 1GB Hard
> Drive in a GVP A500+, so I bought a Quantum 1GB Fireball SCSI Hard
> Drive.
>
> I installed the drive, booted Workbench from disk, and then loaded my
> GVP Install Disk. My system doesn't recognize the hard drive and when I
> try to format it I get an error message that says something like this:
>
> Cannot find GVPSCSI.device
> EPROM in? Autobooting Enabled? Binddrivers on?

gvpscsi.device, It is case sensitive. All device drivers are case sensitive

> Does anybody know if the Quantum 1GB Fireball hard drive is compatible
> with the GVP A500+?

Oh, /everything/ is compatible. . . except peaches and garlic.

Uffe Holst

Dec 21, 2000, 7:00:05 AM12/21/00

In an article of 19 Dec 2000 Silent Joe wrote:

> I installed the drive, booted Workbench from disk, and then loaded my
> GVP Install Disk. My system doesn't recognize the hard drive and when I
> try to format it I get an error message that says something like this:
>
> Cannot find GVPSCSI.device
> EPROM in? Autobooting Enabled? Binddrivers on?

It is years since I used my GVP's installation program. Do remember that
device names, like gvpscsi.device, is case-sensitive.

And do also remember that your have to terminate the SCSI chain in both
ends. The internal drive is normally one end of the chain and it therefore
has to be terminated.

> I even called the Quantum Customer Support Line, but the tech didn't
> seem to comprehend that an Amiga 500 wasn't an IBM Compatible computer.

Hehe...

> Does anyone know what the maximum storage capacity of a GVP A500+ is? I
> think I've seen them with 540MB drives, but at the time I bought it the
> only drives available were 50MB, 120MB, and 260MB.

There should not be any problem using a 1 GB drive with your GVP controller.
I see no reason why larger drives should work as well. But I am not that
much into hardware, so I might be wrong.

--
Uffe Holst

Forager

Jan 15, 2001, 4:09:15 PM1/15/01

"Silent Joe" <ACM...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Does anybody know if the Quantum 1GB Fireball hard drive is compatible
> with the GVP A500+? I swapped the jumpers on the hard drive in all
> configurations and still received the same error. I even called the
> Quantum Customer Support Line, but the tech didn't seem to comprehend
> that an Amiga 500 wasn't an IBM Compatible computer.

"What's an Omega?" You think that's funny, you should talk to IOmega
sometime about using their Zip Drive on an Amiga.

> Does anyone know what the maximum storage capacity of a GVP A500+ is? I
> think I've seen them with 540MB drives, but at the time I bought it the
> only drives available were 50MB, 120MB, and 260MB.

I currently have a 8.4GB drive running in mine. I would suggest, however,
that you upgrade to GuruROM, available from Software Hut (www.softhut.com)
or Schatztruhe. It supports NSD patching to TD64 (>4GB drives) and works
well with OS3.5/3.9. It also fixes (well, as much as possible) some of the
internal serial port and SCSI DMA conflicts so you don't have as much of a
problem with data loss.

Before GuruROM v6 I had to use the serial port at 38,400 under
BaudBandit.device, and would still get massive delays. Since then I was
able to move up to 57,600 with no delays.

** Alan ][ **

Thomas Richter

Jan 16, 2001, 5:34:01 AM1/16/01
In comp.sys.amiga.hardware Silent Joe <ACM...@webtv.net> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I have an Amiga 500 with a GVP A500+ Series II SCSI Hard Drive. It
> currently has a 50MB Quantum ProDrive installed and I would like to
> upgrade it. I was told that you could install a maximum of a 1GB Hard
> Drive in a GVP A500+, so I bought a Quantum 1GB Fireball SCSI Hard
> Drive.

> I installed the drive, booted Workbench from disk, and then loaded my
> GVP Install Disk. My system doesn't recognize the hard drive and when I
> try to format it I get an error message that says something like this:

> Cannot find GVPSCSI.device
> EPROM in? Autobooting Enabled? Binddrivers on?

Note that device names are case-sensitve. It is "gvpscsi.device" and
not "GVPSCSI.device". Please check the "Device" tool type of the GVP
installation tool. Besides, I won't recommend FaaastPrep. HDInstTools
or the HDToolBox would be the better choice.

So long,
Thomas

______________don't_cut_here,_it_could_damage_your_terminal____________________
/ / / / / / / EMAIL: th...@einstein.math.tu-berlin.de
/ /____/ / / /____/ http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/~thor/thor/index.html
/ / / / / / \ PGP available on request, finger print:
/ / / /____/ / / 11 FC 46 B0 7F 42 43 AC 38 A4 78 9A 24 BC 77 BE