CyberStormPPC

Neil Matthews

Nov 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/3/00
"D" == "Dauber" writes:
D> > When non-PPC software is run, the CyberStormPPC simply 'drops
D> > down' a few gears to the speed of the on-board 060 or 040 CPU.
D> > Right?
D>
D> Pretty much. Non-PPC software uses the onboard 680x0, PPC software
D> uses the PPC.

Or more acurately, everything uses the 680x0 unless it specifically
tries to do otherwise - i.e. the PPC will benefit you not at all
unless you use specific PPC software.
--
Neil Matthews
A4000/060/50, PPC604e/233, PicassoIV, Dopus Magellan

Tony McKee

Nov 3, 2000, 11:04:01 AM11/3/00
Hi, Folks.

Regarding CyberStormPPC:

I just want to get something clear. The CyberStormPPC is basically the
CyberStorm MKIII with PPC added. Right?

When non-PPC software is run, the CyberStormPPC simply 'drops down' a few
gears to the speed of the on-board 060 or 040 CPU. Right?

Cheers, Tony McKee

--

---
I am a part of all that I have met... yet all experience is but an arch

===-- Ulysses --===

Dauber

Nov 3, 2000, 11:08:19 AM11/3/00
Tony McKee wrote:

> I just want to get something clear. The CyberStormPPC is basically the
> CyberStorm MKIII with PPC added. Right?

Believe it or not, I think I read somewhere that the reverse is true --
the Cyberstorm MKIII is basically the Cyberstorm PPC w/o the PPC...

But I find it strange that they never made an "upgradable" board that
had the 0x0 with the option to add a PPC. Strangely, there are
Cyberstorms without the 0x0 but with the PPC!

> When non-PPC software is run, the CyberStormPPC simply 'drops down' a few
> gears to the speed of the on-board 060 or 040 CPU. Right?

Pretty much. Non-PPC software uses the onboard 680x0, PPC software uses
the PPC.

Tony McKee

Nov 3, 2000, 9:10:25 PM11/3/00
"Dauber" <dau...@wallnet.com> wrote in message

> Tony McKee wrote:
>
> > I just want to get something clear. The CyberStormPPC is basically the
> > CyberStorm MKIII with PPC added. Right?
>
> Believe it or not, I think I read somewhere that the reverse is true --
> the Cyberstorm MKIII is basically the Cyberstorm PPC w/o the PPC...

Well, I s'pose I was asking for that! ;-)

Cheers, Tony McKee