Programming-languages (e.g. Forth) for Amiga 500 with Kickstart v 1.2

M.O.B. i L.

May 9, 2010, 1:10:36 PM5/9/10
Does there exist bootable ADF-files with programming-languages for Amiga
500 with Kickstart v 1.2 that fits on a single diskette? I would prefer
Forth, but other programming-languages could also be interesting.

Torfinn Ingolfsen

May 10, 2010, 12:24:03 PM5/10/10

M.O.B. i L.

May 11, 2010, 6:55:44 PM5/11/10

Thanks, some of these Forthes I hadn't found, but I have to make the
ADF-file myself and maybe they don't work with Kickstart v 1.2.

Hari Seldon

May 13, 2010, 2:28:33 PM5/13/10

There are also a few FORTH packages on Aminet - http://aminet.net/search -
so there is lots of choice to make it even harder on ya. ;-)

Due to its nature, FORTH can run on machines without an OS - in fact it
was THE OS in an 80`s machine called Jupiter Ace, while the others ran
BASIC or PC-DOS. I played around with FORTH on a Z80 Spectrum and
attempted to convert its disassembled kernel to work via my super duper
floppy controller instead of cassette tapes - then I got the Amiga. So I
am sure that it will be easy to make it work even on a 1.2 kickstart.

Of course you could look for a 1.3 chip on eBay or ask in csa.marketplace,
it shouldn`t cost too much, and probably not necessarily worth it. The
main difference was the added scsi.device, so one could boot from hard
disks, while with 1.2 you had to boot from floppy, mount scsi.device then
pass control to the hard drive.

When I got my first A1000 in late 80`s, without any disks, C= UK were
really good to me and sent me a 1.3 KS + OS bundle. It ran Sozobon C, PDC,
an old Lattice C and some version of FORTH, all of which came on PD disks.
However, for a working dev environment with only half a meg of memory, a
second floppy drive was quite necessary.

Well, as you might notice, the Amiga always brings back memories and lots
to talk about - for some of us, at least... :)))

C`ya,
--
Paul - http://far-out.eu

Old programmers never die, they just branch to a new address.

M.O.B. i L.

May 15, 2010, 8:21:55 AM5/15/10
Hari Seldon wrote:
> M.O.B. i L. wrote:
>> Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>>>
>>> Like this?
>>> http://www.well.com/~jax/rcfb/forth.html
>>> http://www.softsynth.com/jforth/
>>>
>>> More Forth here:
>>> http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Forth/Implementations/
>>>

>> Thanks, some of these Forthes I hadn't found, but I have to make the
>> ADF-file myself and maybe they don't work with Kickstart v 1.2.
>

> There are also a few FORTH packages on Aminet - http://aminet.net/search -
> so there is lots of choice to make it even harder on ya. ;-)
>
> Due to its nature, FORTH can run on machines without an OS - in fact it
> was THE OS in an 80`s machine called Jupiter Ace, while the others ran
> BASIC or PC-DOS. I played around with FORTH on a Z80 Spectrum and
> attempted to convert its disassembled kernel to work via my super duper
> floppy controller instead of cassette tapes - then I got the Amiga. So I
> am sure that it will be easy to make it work even on a 1.2 kickstart.

I bought a ZX81 in 1981 and run Artic Forth loaded from cassette on it.

I suppose I have to test them first in the emulator WinUAE with
Kickstart 1.2.

> Of course you could look for a 1.3 chip on eBay or ask in
> csa.marketplace, it shouldn`t cost too much, and probably not
> necessarily worth it. The main difference was the added scsi.device, so
> one could boot from hard disks, while with 1.2 you had to boot from
> floppy, mount scsi.device then pass control to the hard drive.

> When I got my first A1000 in late 80`s, without any disks, C= UK were
> really good to me and sent me a 1.3 KS + OS bundle. It ran Sozobon C,
> PDC, an old Lattice C and some version of FORTH, all of which came on PD
> disks. However, for a working dev environment with only half a meg of
> memory, a second floppy drive was quite necessary.

I have 1 MB in my Amiga 500 but I'm not sure if it works. There is a
switch on the outside used to disconnect it.

> Well, as you might notice, the Amiga always brings back memories and
> lots to talk about - for some of us, at least... :)))

I have not used Amiga before and bought a used one recently.