network printing option?

Jerry Heyman

Dec 15, 2008, 2:06:00 PM12/15/08

My Amiga A3000 (running AmigaOS 3.9) is currently on my home network,
working quite well - with one exception.

I have a network printer, and have been unable to figure out how to
print to it. I've tried a couple of the 'lpr' commands from aminet,
but to no success. Is there anyone that has actually gotten network
printing to work (lpd/CUPS) and if so, what aminet binary + how did
they configure?

Thanks,

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
// Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

Petteri Valli

Dec 16, 2008, 8:46:54 AM12/16/08
Jerry Heyman <je...@hobbeshollow.com> wrote:

> I have a network printer, and have been unable to figure out how to
> print to it. I've tried a couple of the 'lpr' commands from aminet,
> but to no success. Is there anyone that has actually gotten network
> printing to work (lpd/CUPS) and if so, what aminet binary + how did
> they configure?

I've used lpr.device
(http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/lpr-dev) successfully with several
Amigas and Lexmark's network printing server. You just configure
OS/programs to use it instead of parallel.device.

At the moment I have A1200/030/OS3.9, A1200/060/OS3.9/TurboPrint and
Pegasos/MorphOS using the networked printer with that device.

Jerry Heyman

Dec 16, 2008, 9:56:15 AM12/16/08
on Tuesday 16 December 2008 8:46 am, xx...@xxxx.xxx.fi (Petteri Valli)
wrote:

Cool beans! I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Jerry Heyman

Dec 16, 2008, 10:15:30 PM12/16/08
on Tuesday 16 December 2008 9:56 am, je...@hobbeshollow.com (Jerry Heyman)
wrote:

> on Tuesday 16 December 2008 8:46 am, xx...@xxxx.xxx.fi (Petteri Valli)
> wrote:
>
>> Jerry Heyman <je...@hobbeshollow.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a network printer, and have been unable to figure out how to
>>> print to it. I've tried a couple of the 'lpr' commands from aminet,
>>> but to no success. Is there anyone that has actually gotten network
>>> printing to work (lpd/CUPS) and if so, what aminet binary + how did
>>> they configure?
>>
>> I've used lpr.device
>> (http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/lpr-dev) successfully with several
>> Amigas and Lexmark's network printing server. You just configure
>> OS/programs to use it instead of parallel.device.
>>
>> At the moment I have A1200/030/OS3.9, A1200/060/OS3.9/TurboPrint and
>> Pegasos/MorphOS using the networked printer with that device.
>
> Cool beans! I'll give it a try.

Ok got it working - after a fashion. Noticed in my s:user-startup
that I had previously tried lpr.device, but had failed.

Things I noticed I had to do this time (that I obviously didn't do
before):

1) In printer prefs, I had to make sure to:
a) select PostScript as printer type (yes, a postscript printer)
b) select alternate driver, and then specify DEVS:lpr.device
2) update my AmiTCP:Prefs to support my local router/dsl modem
(192.168.1.254) as one of the nameservers. Otherwise printing
would time out trying to use my ISPs nameservers, even though
a) I had the printserver explicitly listed in AmiTCP:etc/hosts
b) I used the 192.168 address in the HOST portion of ENV:lpr.device

Many thanks - now the Ami is once again a full functioning member
of my home network.