Best current solutions for networking an A500?

exad...@googlemail.com

Mar 9, 2007, 5:28:29 AM3/9/07
I have spent some time trying to look at alternatives for getting the
A500 networked in a better way than using Amiga Explorer, as this
method of file transfer is painfully slow. Given that ethernet
hardware is probably very difficult to find for an A500, I am looking
at making use of serial or paralell ports.

I know that to try and get tcp/ip going I need to use PPP or SLIP, but
I'm confused about the overall setup. Can I use PPP to connect the
A500 over its serial port to a PC? I suspect I could figure it out
eventually, but it might help if anyone could relate an experience of
trying to do something like this, and whether it's really worth the
hassle.

NS

Erik Trulsson

Mar 9, 2007, 6:34:31 AM3/9/07

Yes, you can probably do that.
I have never networked am A500, but I have networked my A1200 over the serial
port. I did use PPP to connect it to the PC on the other end.
On the Amiga I used Miami for handling PPP and TCP/IP. The OS on the PC was
FreeBSD - I don't know if it can be done using MS-Windows but it probably can.

On the whole it was not too difficult to set up (the Amiga end was the easiest.)
For me it was worth the hassle, but your milage may vary.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson

exad...@googlemail.com

Mar 9, 2007, 6:42:38 AM3/9/07
On 9 Mar, 11:34, Erik Trulsson <ertr1...@student.uu.se> wrote:
> I have never networked am A500, but I have networked my A1200 over the serial
> port. I did use PPP to connect it to the PC on the other end.
> On the Amiga I used Miami for handling PPP and TCP/IP. The OS on the PC was
> FreeBSD - I don't know if it can be done using MS-Windows but it probably can.

As it happens I'm intending to get the Amiga to connect to a Linux box
for ftp mainly - I suppose you have to set up a PPP server of sorts on
it so the Amiga can connect?

Message has been deleted

Jerry Heyman

Mar 9, 2007, 8:47:17 PM3/9/07
on Friday 09 March 2007 11:00 am, nos...@nospam.invalid (kjhfkjh) wrote:

> exadenlar <exad...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>I have spent some time trying to look at alternatives for getting the
>>A500 networked in a better way than using Amiga Explorer, as this
>>method of file transfer is painfully slow. Given that ethernet
>>hardware is probably very difficult to find for an A500, I am looking
>>at making use of serial or paralell ports.
>

> if you are a bit technical minded, it is not impossible to build
> an adapter for making a zorro2 slot possible. this way the zorro
> card would be connected to the expansion connector on the lefthand
> side of your A500.

May I ask what kind of adapter - and where the instructions for such a
beast are?

> since it sure works on A1000, the CBM A2065 ethernet card is very likely
> to also work on the A500.

My A1000 sits in it's original box because it cannot network. My A3000
has an A2065, but I've seen additional ones listed on eBay, so I know
that they can be had.

The only problem I have is that the A1000 only has 512KB as it has the
the 2.04 ROMS installed...

> other cards may likely be compatible as well, however the ariadne1 I
> know does not work.
>

> /

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
// Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

Message has been deleted

Christian Brandt

Apr 19, 2007, 9:17:03 AM4/19/07
exad...@googlemail.com schrieb:

> I know that to try and get tcp/ip going I need to use PPP or SLIP, but
> I'm confused about the overall setup. Can I use PPP to connect the
> A500 over its serial port to a PC? I suspect I could figure it out
> eventually, but it might help if anyone could relate an experience of
> trying to do something like this, and whether it's really worth the
> hassle.

PPP is slow and bulky, try cslip, its still slow but at least not bulky.

Better try magPLIP/linPLIP, it lets you network over Laplink-Like
cabeling with other Amigas and Linux-PCs. Speed ranges from 20-200kByte
(the later only between two Linux-PCs though).

Christian Brandt