Dave Haynie leaves Commodore

Marc N. Barrett

Jun 5, 1994, 11:43:01 PM6/5/94

This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
usually a reliable source for this kind of information.

This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),
and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
substance at all.

+++++++
++++ Marc Barrett -MB-
++ IRC nick: Cyclone | e-mail: bar...@iastate.edu
+

Gerald G. Washington

Jun 6, 1994, 9:49:58 AM6/6/94
On 6 Jun 1994 03:43:01 GMT, Marc N. Barrett wrote such things as:
: This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
: Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
: his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
: information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
: usually a reliable source for this kind of information.

Maybe Haynie is leaving for Samsung. This information does not dispell
any rumors, of course.

-- Gerald

ger...@enterprise.usae.bah.com

Anthony Campbell

Jun 6, 1994, 7:17:13 AM6/6/94
bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:

> This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,

^^^^^^^^

> Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
> his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no

Job stability? Didn't know there was such a thing.

> information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is

^^^^^^^^

> usually a reliable source for this kind of information.

Usually, but not 100% (Hi Bill!)

> This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
> rebirth.

Dave Haynie != Amiga. There have been a bunch of different people come
and go in the course of the Amigas development, and I am hoping that
development will continue. Amiga can continue without Dave. Development
would just take a different (not necessarily better or worse) track.

Star Trek continues without Gene, the USA continues without George, the
Amiga can continue without Dave.

(Maybe these are the best analogies:)

> Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
> fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),

Maybe because Commodore paid him money all these years.

> and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
> substance at all.

Maybe he felt it was time to move on. Not everyone sticks with the same
employer for years unending.

Maybe he's moving to Korea.

But since you can't get William's name right...

--
to...@cryo.cryogenic.com R.I.P. C=/Amiga 1985-1994

Steve Bara

Jun 6, 1994, 2:57:10 PM6/6/94
Marc N. Barrett (bar...@iastate.edu) wrote:

: This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,

: Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
: his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
: information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
: usually a reliable source for this kind of information.

: This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
: rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
: fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),
: and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
: substance at all.

You're right Marc, there won't be a buyout. All that stuff about an auction
in the newspapers was made up. Since the Amiga is CBM International's ONLY
sellable asset (with the possible exception of some factory space that is
tooled up to make amigas), and since under liquidation they are FORCED to
sell their assets, you must be right. And since about 5 companies have
made bids already (CEI and Samsung's bids are now public knowledge, others
are harder to verify), then therefore no one will buy CBM. And Dave Haynie
is definitely certainly gone, because Marc Barrett can quote Bill Caldwell
saying it in IRC. Could you go one step further in your hearsay and maybe
tell us that Bill Caldwell heard it from Elvis's ghost? Even if it's true,
what is your conclusion? There can be no Amiga without Dave Haynie? I
doubt that. Even though he is an AMAZING engineer and I would be extremely
saddened by the loss of his expertise, the Amiga was around without him,
and it could certainly remain around without him. Now after years of sticking
with inept management at CBM, would Dave Haynie suddenly leave if there was
a new buyer? Well until that deal goes through, and it could take MONTHS,
it would probably be wise for Mr Haynie to find a way to support himself,
but honestly I think he'd probably be the first to go back when a new
company started working on the amiga. Anyhow, you're an idiot.

Erik Funkenbusch

Jun 6, 1994, 3:30:57 PM6/6/94
In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>,

Marc N. Barrett <bar...@iastate.edu> wrote:

> This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
>Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
>his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
>information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
>usually a reliable source for this kind of information.
>
> This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
>rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
>fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),
>and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
>substance at all.

Oh come off it mark. Dave's had a steady paycheck from C= for more years than
you've been an adult. How can you call working for commodore for that number
of years unstable?

If anything, staying in one place is a sign of too much stability, even if
better opportunities arise.

Erik Funkenbusch : chu...@skypoint.skypoint.com
Alternate : chu...@hotline.mn.org
FIDO : chucks@1:282/2002

Duncan Grisby

Jun 6, 1994, 5:36:16 PM6/6/94
In article <2svthh$g...@skypoint.skypoint.com>, chu...@skypoint.net (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
> In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>,
> Marc N. Barrett <bar...@iastate.edu> wrote:
> [...]

> Oh come off it mark. Dave's had a steady paycheck from C= for more years than
> you've been an adult. How can you call working for commodore for that number
> of years unstable?

What, you mean Marc's an adult?

:-)

--
| Duncan Grisby | dpg...@hermes.cam.ac.uk | // |
| Queens' College, | dpg...@cus.cam.ac.uk | // /| |

Daniel Barrett

Jun 6, 1994, 7:19:29 PM6/6/94

Steve Bara <fr...@astro.ocis.temple.edu> wrote:
>Could you go one step further in your hearsay...?

I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.

Dan
(no relation)

//////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett -- Dept of Computer Science, Lederle Graduate Research Center |
| University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003 -- bar...@cs.umass.edu |
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

u898...@csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au

Jun 6, 1994, 10:15:02 AM6/6/94
In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>, bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:

> This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
> Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
> his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
> information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
> usually a reliable source for this kind of information.
>
> This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
> rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
> fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),
> and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
> substance at all.

I was on IRC at the time, the message was that there was a message on
.advocasy that Dave is leaving. And from that you decide to post to .adv
that Dave is leaving. Sort of running in circles again -MB-. Then again
Dave migh have left, but I same sure you couldn't hold your self but post it.

> +++++++
> ++++ Marc Barrett -MB-
> ++ IRC nick: Cyclone | e-mail: bar...@iastate.edu
> +

George

Rob Morton

Jun 6, 1994, 11:38:44 PM6/6/94
In article <2t0au1$h...@opine.cs.umass.edu>,

Daniel Barrett <bar...@cs.umass.edu> wrote:
>>Marc N. Barrett (bar...@iastate.edu) wrote:
>>>This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
>>>Dave Haynie has... finally left Commodore.
>
>Steve Bara <fr...@astro.ocis.temple.edu> wrote:
>>Could you go one step further in your hearsay...?
>
> I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
>heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.
>
> Dan
> (no relation)
This is really just a curiosity question. Is there anyone
that works at Scala that didn't come from C=. It seems really strange
that Scala seems to have more of C= engineers than C= has had for
a couple of years. I was just wondering actually.
I guess who ever (yes I am thinking positively) buys C=, should
also buy Scala just to get the people. :)

Later,
Rob Morton
mor...@wam.umd.edu

Mike Dunn

Jun 6, 1994, 11:47:03 PM6/6/94
Erik Funkenbusch (chu...@skypoint.net) informed the world:

: Oh come off it mark. Dave's had a steady paycheck from C= for more years than

: you've been an adult. How can you call working for commodore for that number
: of years unstable?

What? Mark's an adult? When did this happen? :^>

--
Mike Dunn (md...@unlinfo.unl.edu) | "Someone of wisdom is always more
"Your arrogance is nearly as great | difficult to communicate with.

Ivan Ivanick

Jun 6, 1994, 5:14:00 PM6/6/94
bar...@cs.umass.edu (Daniel Barrett) writes:

> I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
>heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.
>
> Dan
> (no relation)
>

>| Dan Barrett -- Dept of Computer Science, Lederle Graduate Research Center |

Great news; but what are SCALA doing in buying up OS & Engineering guys?
Seems a counterintuitive move for a software maker. Not that I'm
complaining, mind you...

Ivan Ivanick Iv...@srlf.ucla.edu / ESR...@mvs.oac.ucla.edu
Programmer / Analyst UC Southern Regional Library Facility

George Sanderson

Jun 7, 1994, 1:42:11 AM6/7/94
> This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an
> Amiga rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and
> thin (to a fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a
> family to consider), and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors
> of an Amiga buyout had any substance at all.

Just because Dave left it doesn't automatically mean that there isn't
a buyout, but on the other hand Dave leaving does add to the argument
of no further Amiga development. Perhaps there is a buyout, but Commoshit,
as usual, would screw something like that up as well and Dave couldn't
take any more of the garbage around him.

Markus Illenseer

Jun 7, 1994, 4:44:25 AM6/7/94
Marc N. Barrett (bar...@iastate.edu) wrote:
: This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,

His name is William J Coldwell.
Dave was responsible for the high-end Amigas, the real important guy
didn't left Commodore yet: George Robinson, the maker of A500, A600
A1200 and CD32 - and if i were Samsung, i would jump on CD32.
--
Markus Illenseer

Jean-Pierre Farine

Jun 7, 1994, 7:50:08 AM6/7/94
In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>, bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:

[...]

Since Dave Haynie posting on Mehdi Ali (Re: Bryce Speaks out! Important!
Date: 12 May 94 20:28:15 GMT) it was in IMHO clear that both could not work
together any more. I always hoped that if C= should survive Mehdi Ali would be
the one which has to leave...

If D. Haynie really left C= there are not many alternatives left:

1. C= survives and M. Ali remains at the control :-(
2. Both D. Haynie and M. Ali leave C=
3. D. Haynie get a job in a company buying C= :-)
4. D. Haynie get a job in a company related to the Amiga. This could mean
that D. Haynie thinks that there is a future for the Amiga.

Jean-Pierre (John-Peter) Farine
e-mail: far...@decus.ch (used as a gateway to usenet)
Internet: far...@grd.inet.ch
X.400: c=ch,admd=arcom,prmd=grd,s=farine
FAX: +41 31 324 6121 Phone: +41 31 324 6110 / 13

Maxwell Daymon

Jun 7, 1994, 9:09:56 AM6/7/94
Markus Illenseer (mar...@jade.TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE) wrote:

Dave's name was all over those too. Without "high-end" Amiga's - they are
garbage. The high-end is what brought the low-end up. Without high-end,
the low end will suffer. Without high-end, it's pointless.
--
//
// Maxwell Daymon

Jason Kempnich

Jun 7, 1994, 8:25:52 AM6/7/94
bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:

> This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
>Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
>his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
>information about where he is going, so don't ask me.

Why would we want to ask you Marc?

You *ARE* the Marc Barrett who claims everything the Amiga prints is a
bitmap? You are the same guy who made a fool of himself when David Connors
posted his e-mail message to the net (see the article called "David
Connors & MB -> IDIOTS!" in this group.

> This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga

Marc, I think you're the only one in need of a BIG bucket of water.
And a BIG bucket of clues too. How the hell did you come up with that
stuff?

It was a good laugh though.

Kempo.
--
+------------* Email: jkem...@gucis.cit.gu.edu.au *-----------------///
| "Got a brand new semi-automatic weapon with a laser sight, /// Intel
| Oh I'm praying somebody tries to break in here tonight!" \\\/// Outside
+-----* From the song "Trigger Happy" by Wierd Al Yankovic *-----\XX/

Hans Guijt

Jun 7, 1994, 9:47:06 AM6/7/94
In article <1994Jun7.115008.2789@decus> far...@decus.ch (Jean-Pierre Farine) writes:
>1. C= survives and M. Ali remains at the control :-(
>2. Both D. Haynie and M. Ali leave C=
>3. D. Haynie get a job in a company buying C= :-)
>4. D. Haynie get a job in a company related to the Amiga. This could mean
> that D. Haynie thinks that there is a future for the Amiga.

I though Dave was a HW guy, and Scala SW people. What does he do at his new
job?

Hans

Edward D. Berger

Jun 7, 1994, 9:46:56 AM6/7/94
In article Message-ID: <2t0au1$h...@opine.cs.umass.edu>,
bar...@cs.umass.edu (Daniel Barrett) writes:

> I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
> heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.
>
> Dan

OK, thats the straw that breaks the camels back.
I now know what I must do.
I'm buying Scala MultiMedia 300 ASAP.

-Ed Berger
eb...@andrew.cmu.edu

Matt Pierce

Jun 7, 1994, 10:48:18 AM6/7/94
Marc N. Barrett (bar...@iastate.edu) wrote:

: This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,

: Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
: his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
: information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
: usually a reliable source for this kind of information.

: This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
: rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
: fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),
: and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
: substance at all.

It seems to me that Dave had what is known as 'loyalty', not just to
Commodore, but to the Amiga and its community. Since you nor I have
no idea about Dave's family and financial status, remarks such as those
above only serve to illustrate your ignorance and self-centeredness.
You nor I have no grounds to speculate or judge any of Dave's decisions
as they are of no ones concern but his and his families. So I do not
believe Dave had any faults in staying with CBM or not, he may infact be
doing exactly the right thing - I don't know nor do I concern myself with
it.

: +++++++

: ++++ Marc Barrett -MB-
: ++ IRC nick: Cyclone | e-mail: bar...@iastate.edu
: +

Though I do admire Dave Haynie's vision, creativeness, and personality here
on the net, Dave Haynie != Amiga. He does have great ideas and such, but
there were many more engineers on the project in addition to him, and there
may be many more in the future. So if the rumors are true that Dave is gone
then I wish him much success in his next job, and if he is still there then
I wish more power to him :)

Matt Pierce

Kortelainen Mika

Jun 7, 1994, 10:46:49 AM6/7/94

>I though Dave was a HW guy, and Scala SW people. What does he do at his new
>job?

According to his signature, he's Sr. Systems Engineer (he posted about
some Eagle Tower 4001 or something a few moments earlier).

Maybe Scala really wants to get the most out of our Amigas (now they apparently
have all the ex-Commodore SW and HW gurus :-)

Anyway, I hope that someone continues to make Amigas and develop its brilliant
operating system ahead. And AAA would be nice, too.

Mika Kortelainen

Eyal Teler

Jun 7, 1994, 9:58:17 AM6/7/94
In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>, bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:
|> This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
|> Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
|> his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
|> information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
|> usually a reliable source for this kind of information.

Maybe he's going to work for Samsung. ;-)

Anyway, nice to see MB posting again.

ET

P.S. Actually when MB stopped posting I thought it was a confirmation
that he was actually a Commodore PR guy (who was out of work now).

Anthony Campbell

Jun 7, 1994, 6:40:16 AM6/7/94
k12...@proffa.cc.tut.fi (Kortelainen Mika) writes:
> In <GUIJT.100...@stpc.wi.LeidenUniv.nl> GU...@stpc.wi.LeidenUniv.nl (Hans Guijt) writes:
>
> >I though Dave was a HW guy, and Scala SW people. What does he do at his new
> >job?

> According to his signature, he's Sr. Systems Engineer (he posted about
> some Eagle Tower 4001 or something a few moments earlier).
>
> Maybe Scala really wants to get the most out of our Amigas (now they apparently
> have all the ex-Commodore SW and HW gurus :-)

Maybe he's going to work on 'High-End Systems' for Scala.

Maybe Scala is or has licensed the Amiga chipset and OS for dedicated
Scala boxes.

> Anyway, I hope that someone continues to make Amigas and develop its brilliant
> operating system ahead. And AAA would be nice, too.

I want my 3.1

Steve Parkinson

Jun 7, 1994, 1:46:30 PM6/7/94
to...@cryo.cryogenic.com (Anthony Campbell) writes:

>> substance at all.

Here`s Dave`s new signature:

--
Dave Haynie Scala US R&D | ex-Commodore Engineering |Ki No Kawa Ryu Aikido
Sr. Systems Engineer | class of '94 |"Life was never meant

(taken from an article in c.s.a.programmer)

YET ANOTHER CBM employee goes to SCALA!

WHY!

I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a
little company who did some presentation s/w for the amiga (and only
the amiga). Would someone, maybe from scala maybe fill us all in
on why Scala now employs Hardware people, and what we can expect
from them in the future.

Steve

Jyrki Petsalo

Jun 7, 1994, 2:49:18 PM6/7/94
> I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
> heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.

Oh? I didn't realize Scala Inc manufactured computer hardware too..

but it really takes an computer architechture expert to design something
as advanced and unbelievable as the Scala Echo (a simple IR controller,
only HW I've heard Scala makes).. :)

Don't get me wrong, I luv Scala products, but I can't possibly think of
any use they would have for D.Haynie, except if they think of expanding
gigantically.

-JP

jdow on BIX

Jun 7, 1994, 4:55:10 PM6/7/94
park...@aludra.usc.edu (Steve Parkinson) writes:

>to...@cryo.cryogenic.com (Anthony Campbell) writes:

>>> substance at all.

>WHY!

>Steve

Mike Sinz is not talking. He has hinted. It "sounds interesting." All the
"its" he has mentioned. Cannot say more. I doubt HE would say more. But he
is SW manager over there at Scala now.
<^_^> Joanne Dow, Amiga Exchange Editor
jd...@bix.com

Stefan G. Berg

Jun 7, 1994, 3:08:33 PM6/7/94

In article <2t1rj4$i...@rainbow.sosi.com> mda...@rainbow.sosi.com (Maxwell Daymon) writes:

> Dave's name was all over those too. Without "high-end" Amiga's - they are
> garbage. The high-end is what brought the low-end up. Without high-end,
> the low end will suffer. Without high-end, it's pointless.

I totally agree with that. If the next machines will be low end
machines, my next computer will be a PC or some workstation.

Stefan

--
,-------------------------------------------------------,
|Usenet sgb...@charon.bloomington.in.us Stefan G. Berg|

Harv R Laser

Jun 7, 1994, 7:33:18 PM6/7/94
Yes, indeed, Dave has left C= and is now working for Scala.
There are more ex-Amiga C= people at Scala (and 3DO) than there
are left at C= itself.

Dave and I have exchanged some email since he left. He said he
will be working on "Computer Television" at Scala, doing both
software (remember, he not only wrote DiskSalv but he's also
done a series of C programming articles for Amiga World recently),
and hardware in conjunction with companies working for/with
Scala.

Apparently too, Commodore will be moving what's left of their
West Chester operation into a smaller nearby building and turning
off cbmvax in the next week or two.

Harv
ha...@cup.portal.com

Maxwell Daymon

Jun 8, 1994, 12:02:02 AM6/8/94
Jean-Pierre Farine (far...@decus.ch) wrote:
: Since Dave Haynie posting on Mehdi Ali (Re: Bryce Speaks out! Important!

: Date: 12 May 94 20:28:15 GMT) it was in IMHO clear that both could not work
: together any more. I always hoped that if C= should survive Mehdi Ali would be
: the one which has to leave...

If Mehdi Ali is left in charge of ANYTHING (including janitor) I will not
settle for anything less than a class action lawsuit. Why is nobody doing
this? I typically like to stay away from legal messes, but this guy drove
Commodore into the ground.

Byron Montgomerie

Jun 6, 1994, 10:34:08 AM6/6/94
On 6 Jun 1994 03:43:01 GMT Marc N. Barrett (bar...@iastate.edu) did proclaim:

# This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
# Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
# his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
# information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
# usually a reliable source for this kind of information.

# This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
# rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
# fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),
# and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
# substance at all.

# +++++++
# ++++ Marc Barrett -MB-
# ++ IRC nick: Cyclone | e-mail: bar...@iastate.edu
# +

Wow, is this really true?!! Oh my god, will wonders never cease! I must run out
and sell my amiga right away, it obviously will stop working now that Dave has
left a bankrupt company. I was hoping that the amiga would be bought out but now
that Dave Haynie has left I guess it means that it won't, the end of the world is
approaching. All my hopes and dreams are dashed! Oh no! ;)

Byron...
__ __
__ /// "Byron Montgomerie" Internet: by...@saturn.cs.mun.ca __ ///
\\\/// "Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? \\\///
\XX/ Remember how she said that we would meet again, \XX/
Amiga some sunny day..." -- Pink Floyd -- Amiga

Ed Brown

Jun 7, 1994, 11:26:05 PM6/7/94

> If D. Haynie really left C= there are not many alternatives left:
>
> 1. C= survives and M. Ali remains at the control :-(

Should this dreadful occurance be our fate, I suggest that we 5 million
Amiga users follow Dave and exit this market at once. Like a LOT of
other Amiga users, I have had all the BS from C= (by any name) that I am
going to take... and yes, I AM mad as hell!

As to Dave H. and all these posts hereabouts, I suggest that Dave has
never been shy about posting and he will probably fill us in when he
thinks we need it... and he has the time. Comments from other parties
other than Dave H., no matter how interested are pretty much speculation.

--
---
pacifier.com - Vancouver's Public access Internet (206) 693-0325

Ed Brown

Jun 7, 1994, 11:33:48 PM6/7/94

> Though I do admire Dave Haynie's vision, creativeness, and personality here
> on the net, Dave Haynie != Amiga. He does have great ideas and such, but
> there were many more engineers on the project in addition to him, and there
> may be many more in the future. So if the rumors are true that Dave is
> gone then I wish him much success in his next job, and if he is still there
> then I wish more power to him :)

Right on, Matt! Along these same lines, the Amiga managed to survive the
loss of the entire original design team, didn't it? If it could do that,
then losing Dave H. may hurt but it sure as hell ain't gonna be fatal IMHO.

As to fatalaty, CBM management can handle that completely. :-/

Adrian Demarais

Jun 8, 1994, 2:01:11 AM6/8/94
Maxwell Daymon (mda...@rainbow.sosi.com) wrote:

: If Mehdi Ali is left in charge of ANYTHING (including janitor) I will not

: settle for anything less than a class action lawsuit. Why is nobody doing
: this? I typically like to stay away from legal messes, but this guy drove
: Commodore into the ground.
: --

A couple of the members of the Commodore Shareholder's Movement
expressed an interest in just that at our last user's group meeting.
The problem is that it is likely to be expensive, with doubtful
results. There was some question as to whether or not C='s own
corporate charter ( term?) was followed in the liquidation decision,
and if anything could be done about it if not. After all, you'd have
to make a court decision stick in the Bahamas from here in the US.

Dave Mansell

Jun 7, 1994, 4:21:37 PM6/7/94
In article: 33014 of comp.sys.amiga.misc
GU...@stpc.wi.LeidenUniv.nl (Hans Guijt) said

Actually, there seems to be an awful lot of ex-C= people suddenly working
for SCALA. Most odd...

Dave Mansell - Citadel Software Ltd, Cornwall, UK
FABRICATI DIEM PVNK - Motto of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch

LEPPART JOHN

Jun 8, 1994, 2:42:53 AM6/8/94
[...]

Mr Barrett reminds me of Wormtongue in the Lord of the Rings. Sapping
our will, poisoning wells. Disinformation.
JL

Marc N. Barrett

Jun 8, 1994, 3:21:54 AM6/8/94
In article <Cr278...@pacifier.rain.com> ebr...@pacifier.rain.com (Ed Brown) writes:

>> Though I do admire Dave Haynie's vision, creativeness, and personality here
>> on the net, Dave Haynie != Amiga. He does have great ideas and such, but
>> there were many more engineers on the project in addition to him, and there
>> may be many more in the future. So if the rumors are true that Dave is
>> gone then I wish him much success in his next job, and if he is still there
>> then I wish more power to him :)
>
>Right on, Matt! Along these same lines, the Amiga managed to survive the
>loss of the entire original design team, didn't it?

For one thing, not all of the original design team left when the Los Gatos
facility was closed in 1986. Second, the Amiga survived by virtue of the fact
that it was ahead of most systems in most areas at the time. Unfortunately,
this is not the case today. Not only is the Amiga without any design team at
all, it is at the same time WAY behind the rest of the industry in most
respects.

So, you can't really compare the situation today with the situation back
in 1986. They are TOTALLY different.

Eyvind Bernhardsen

Jun 8, 1994, 4:36:25 AM6/8/94
In article <PETSALO.94...@liero.cc.lut.fi> pet...@lut.fi (Jyrki Petsalo) writes:

[...]

Don't get me wrong, I luv Scala products, but I can't possibly think of
any use they would have for D.Haynie, except if they think of expanding
gigantically.

WUH-oh, looks like you just started a new rumour. ;)
--
// Eyvind Bernhardsen -- finger -l for PGP key -- eyv...@pvv.unit.no
\X/ "MS Word is an ugly, clanking, God-awful mess of a program." -DNA

Jean-Pierre Farine

Jun 8, 1994, 6:00:54 AM6/8/94
Maybe another Toaster?

> Hans

Matthias Meixner

Jun 8, 1994, 4:48:19 AM6/8/94
Anthony Campbell (to...@cryo.cryogenic.com) wrote:

: k12...@proffa.cc.tut.fi (Kortelainen Mika) writes:
: > In <GUIJT.100...@stpc.wi.LeidenUniv.nl> GU...@stpc.wi.LeidenUniv.nl (Hans Guijt) writes:
: >
: > >I though Dave was a HW guy, and Scala SW people. What does he do at his new
: > >job?

: > According to his signature, he's Sr. Systems Engineer (he posted about
: > some Eagle Tower 4001 or something a few moments earlier).
: >
: > Maybe Scala really wants to get the most out of our Amigas (now they apparently
: > have all the ex-Commodore SW and HW gurus :-)

: Maybe he's going to work on 'High-End Systems' for Scala.

: Maybe Scala is or has licensed the Amiga chipset and OS for dedicated
: Scala boxes.

Maybe Scala is going to make High-End Amiga-Clones and will take over the
Amiga-market with their new developement of RTG and AAA.

(Let's hope the best :-) )

: > Anyway, I hope that someone continues to make Amigas and develop its brilliant

: > operating system ahead. And AAA would be nice, too.

: I want my 3.1

--

- Matthias Meixner

main(){long a=2,b=1;for(;a<1e2;a%b--||(b=a++))b-1||printf("%d ",a);}

Nigel Hughes

Jun 8, 1994, 4:55:02 AM6/8/94
In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>, bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:

> This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,
> Dave Haynie has finally decided to start thinking of things like supporting
> his family with job stability, and has finally left Commodore. I have no
> information about where he is going, so don't ask me. But Mr. Caldwell is
> usually a reliable source for this kind of information.
>
> This kind of throws a BIG bucket of water on people's hopes for an Amiga
> rebirth. Dave Haynie has stuck with Commodore through thick and thin (to a
> fault, in my oppinion, considering that he DOES have a family to consider),
> and I doubt he would leave if any of these rumors of an Amiga buyout had any
> substance at all.

Marc,
You really are pathetic. Of course the rumours have substance, you may indeed be up on net gossip, but do you every read ANY financial publications? CBM maybe small fry compared to some multi-nationals but they still get a mention in many journals/publications. There are sevaral companies sniffing around, although there do seem to be problems with making a deal.

Please in futre take you foolishness elsewhere. You may have a big stick to stir the news group with, but that is no substitute for a real life.

Nigel Hughes, with better things to do than read rubbish from you.

fhei...@desire.wright.edu

Jun 8, 1994, 7:20:28 AM6/8/94

There was an article in EE Times about how Scala had designed
a OS for settop boxes (If I remember corectly) and was trying
to market it. The article discribed some things about the
OS, said it ran on an Amiga but was portable to other architectures.

Anyway isn't Scala what they use on cable TV for the info channel
or whatever?

Fred Heitkamp, ---- Only my opinions ----
A4000/040 AmigaOS. 486DX2-66 OS/2 2.1.

Morten Eriksen

Jun 8, 1994, 7:59:11 AM6/8/94
In article <1994Jun8.0...@desire.wright.edu>, fhei...@desire.wright.edu writes:
|> > YET ANOTHER CBM employee goes to SCALA!
|> >
|> > WHY!
|> >
|> > I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a
|> > little company who did some presentation s/w for the amiga (and only
|> > the amiga). Would someone, maybe from scala maybe fill us all in
|> > on why Scala now employs Hardware people, and what we can expect
|> > from them in the future.
|> >

|> There was an article in EE Times about how Scala had designed
|> a OS for settop boxes (If I remember corectly) and was trying
|> to market it. The article discribed some things about the
|> OS, said it ran on an Amiga but was portable to other architectures.

A couple of days ago there was some news on norwegian television (SCALA is originally
a norwegian company) about SCALA working on an 'interactive television' project. Among
the pictures shown where some typical Amiga graphics (recognized the mousepointer :)
in a typical SCALA environment with buttons for 'TV shopping' etc etc. There were
also some mentioning about 'bundling computers along with TVs in the near future'
(imagine that! Every TV comes with an Amiga! :).

|> Anyway isn't Scala what they use on cable TV for the info channel
|> or whatever?

Yep.

Morten

Michael Schuldman

Jun 8, 1994, 8:44:01 AM6/8/94

In article <2t2bpm$a...@aludra.usc.edu>, park...@aludra.usc.edu (Steve Parkinson) writes:

> I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a
> little company who did some presentation s/w for the amiga (and only
> the amiga). Would someone, maybe from scala maybe fill us all in
> on why Scala now employs Hardware people, and what we can expect
> from them in the future.

Actually, Scala is big, quite big, and they only seem to get bigger (Recently
they got a contract with a big US company, Texas "something" (not
instruments) in competition with among other M$ and Apple, they also
got a contract with Brithish Telecom (I think) and will be making
software for those new cable TV set-ups supposed to come).
Yes, they are big (Jon Bøhmer, one of the (_the_ ?) people in scala
will hold some kind of lecture here (not at the university, but
some kind of "coffe meeting" or something), sponsored by IBM.
But no, I dont think they are anywhere close to buy C= and produce
Amigas, not alone atleast.

> Steve

// --- Michael Shuldman --- \\
// University of Oslo, Faculty of Mathematical and Natural Sciences \\
\\ != "Yes, I do in fact speak for this University, all of it." //
\\ --- C= Amiga - Best there is. --- //

Darren Metcalfe

Jun 8, 1994, 10:02:48 AM6/8/94
After all this endless discussion (I'm being polite here) you must realise
that SCALA has seen the end coming for a long time. Over a year ago Rick
Salmon, CEO SCALA US, was already talking about SCALA PC (with it's own
32-bit OS) and a mysterious little black box they've been working on. Now
that little black box will most likely have AGA intact. A1200's are still
the only way to make InfoChannel cost effective considering the outrageous
price of the software. GO SCALA!

Whadda ya think sirs?

Darren Metcalfe i-media corporation
imedia@teleport Interactive, Animation, Post-Production
"You can have a lot of fun with people mired in computer nuance,
watch this, has anybody seen the mouse for my Amiga?" - Joel

Stig Arne Olsen

Jun 8, 1994, 11:48:16 AM6/8/94
Scala recently made a deal with "General Instrument" for an
interactive program guide, whatever that is. The deal also
involves some technology exchange. Apparently GI is a company
that is big in satellite receivers and cable-tv boxes over
there in the US, I guess some americans can fill in the details.

All this according to an article in "Computerworld" Norway.

Stig A. Olsen
st...@ifi.uio.no
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~stigo

Gregg Giles

Jun 8, 1994, 11:49:53 AM6/8/94
In article <113...@cup.portal.com> Ha...@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) writes:

>Apparently too, Commodore will be moving what's left of their
>West Chester operation into a smaller nearby building and turning
>off cbmvax in the next week or two.

You mean the guard-shack? (Couldn't resist - sorry.)

Gregg Giles "The next thing I say to you will be true,
All opinions expressed are my own the last thing I said was false." -Devo

Staffan Friberg

Jun 7, 1994, 4:23:28 PM6/7/94

In article <2t0au1$h...@opine.cs.umass.edu> bar...@cs.umass.edu (Daniel Barrett) writes:

> >Marc N. Barrett (bar...@iastate.edu) wrote:

> >>This information comes by way of William Caldwell on IRC. Apparently,

> >>Dave Haynie has... finally left Commodore.
>
> Steve Bara <fr...@astro.ocis.temple.edu> wrote:
> >Could you go one step further in your hearsay...?

> I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
> heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.

So, basically, what whoever buys the Amiga has to do is to buy Scala and
then they will have all the people back again. :)

> Dan
> (no relation)

Ahem..... ;-)

--

//
//

Gregg Giles

Jun 8, 1994, 12:11:04 PM6/8/94
In article <Cr278...@pacifier.rain.com> ebr...@pacifier.rain.com (Ed Brown) writes:

>Along these same lines, the Amiga managed to survive the
>loss of the entire original design team, didn't it?

I think that many fail to recognize that one of the main reasons the Amiga
was able to survive the loss of the original crew in Las Gatos was because
the machine and OS were way ahead of their time, and Commodore had the money
to propogate that hardware and OS (keep it from vanishing).
What's happened recently, however, is completely different than what
happened with the loss of the Las Gatos crew. Then, the technology was
being acquired by one of the biggest companies in the personal computer
business - Commodore - which had wads of cash to support their new
acquisition with. The original crew was there, still with ideas for
subsequent machines, and most importantly, the PASSION to make things happen.
Now, however, we see what few engineers were left in West Chester
leaving an all-but-dead company that's got one of the worst reputations in
the personal computer industry. While people will hold out through economic
troubles when they believe in something, there is absolutely no reason to
continue hanging on when you lose the passion for what you do. This is what
I believe is now happening. It's always a horrible thing to see a great
product or a great team be destroyed by an incompetent management.
The Amiga is gone, folks. Just let it go. Fantasies of a rebirth are
fun, but I fear they are unrealistic. Even if the hardware were acquired
and continued (again), the Amiga faces an uphill battle, trying to
recapture marketshare and consumers which dumped it only years before.
I'm up for a good comeback story as much as anyone, but it's never happened
in the computer industry. History has shown that once a platform gets
shot down by the marketplace, it never comes back.
All things change, and all things die.

Francois Groleau

Jun 8, 1994, 12:32:27 PM6/8/94
fhei...@desire.wright.edu wrote:

: In article <2t2bpm$a...@aludra.usc.edu>, park...@aludra.usc.edu (Steve Parkinson) writes:
: > to...@cryo.cryogenic.com (Anthony Campbell) writes:
: >
: >>bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:
: >
[stuff deleted]

: There was an article in EE Times about how Scala had designed

: a OS for settop boxes (If I remember corectly) and was trying

Would you remember in which issue of EE Times this was mentioned?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------///
Francois Groleau |Opinions are mine,| "Welcome my son, ///
Bell-Northern Research| not those of my | Welcome to the machine..." \\\///
Montreal, Canada | employer | -Pink Floyd \///
------------------------------<fgro...@bnr.ca>--------------------------------

: Fred Heitkamp, ---- Only my opinions ----

Johan Van Houtven

Jun 7, 1994, 4:53:11 PM6/7/94
Rob Morton wrote the following to All:

RM> I guess who ever (yes I am thinking positively) buys C=, should also
RM> buy Scala just to get the people. :)

8^)

Briljant idea! ;)

-- Johan.

Harri Pesonen

Jun 7, 1994, 6:27:55 PM6/7/94
Daniel Barrett (bar...@cs.umass.edu) wrote:

> I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
> heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.

This is almost unbelievable. Just how many ex-Commodore employees are now
working for Scala? And since when is Scala a hardware company? And is
Scala allied with Samsung? So many questions, so few answers...

--
Harri Pesonen ha...@elfuerte.fipnet.fi Spellbound with Amiga CD32

I run CD32 at 1280x512 in 256000 colors, if it happens to use that mode,
which it rarely, if ever, does!

Mike Roberts

Jun 8, 1994, 3:46:42 PM6/8/94
|> I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a
|> little company who did some presentation s/w for the amiga (and only
|> the amiga). Would someone, maybe from scala maybe fill us all in
|> on why Scala now employs Hardware people, and what we can expect
|> from them in the future.
|>
|> Steve

Well, they are indeed the maker and marketer of InfoChannel. InfoChannel is quite
successful in Europe and the US. It is used by large corporations for distribution
of all sorts of information; sales, marketing, happenings, etc. I liken it to the type
of information you get from advanced hotels when you stay in one. I.e., you can from `
your room order account updates, services, find out about hotel happenings, and on and
on. Ford motor company uses InfoChannel in their lobbies. InfoChannel can and quite
often is many networked devices (amigas etc.) which can be managed to update themselves
automatically...ie at certain times of the day/night. Airports, shopping malls, and other
high traffic areas use InfoChannel for all sorts of sales/information type things.

Basically, Scala MM is a subset of InfoChannel...a small but powerful subset I might add.

I suspect that someone like D. Haynie could contribute quite a lot where ever he goes.
Scala obviously thought a lot of him. I am happy for Scala and Dave....what ever they
plan on doing.

Mathias Karlsson

Jun 8, 1994, 7:00:28 PM6/8/94
mda...@rainbow.sosi.com (Maxwell Daymon) writes:

--
// "Oh god of earth and altar, bow down and hear our cry"
\X/ Boing! -- Death before dishonour! Death before DOS!!! --

Mathias Karlsson

Jun 8, 1994, 7:02:29 PM6/8/94
mda...@rainbow.sosi.com (Maxwell Daymon) writes:

>If Mehdi Ali is left in charge of ANYTHING (including janitor) I will not
>settle for anything less than a class action lawsuit.

On the other hand, some people think he doesn't deserve this, and would rather
see that someone buried 6 inches of cold steel in his back.

vh MK.

Anthony Campbell

Jun 8, 1994, 12:38:48 PM6/8/94
ggi...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (Gregg Giles) writes:
> In article <Cr278...@pacifier.rain.com> ebr...@pacifier.rain.com (Ed Brown) writes:
> >
> >Along these same lines, the Amiga managed to survive the
> >loss of the entire original design team, didn't it?
>
> I think that many fail to recognize that one of the main reasons the Amiga
> was able to survive the loss of the original crew in Las Gatos was because
> the machine and OS were way ahead of their time,

In some peoples opinion's, it still is.

> and Commodore had the money
> to propogate that hardware and OS (keep it from vanishing).

And IF Samsung is really the buyer, they are rumoured to have a little
spare cash.

> What's happened recently, however, is completely different than what
> happened with the loss of the Las Gatos crew. Then, the technology was
> being acquired by one of the biggest companies in the personal computer
> business - Commodore - which had wads of cash to support their new
> acquisition with. The original crew was there, still with ideas for
> subsequent machines, and most importantly, the PASSION to make things happen.

And who is to say that that Samsung doesn't have engineers dieing to get
their hands on the Amiga.

> Now, however, we see what few engineers were left in West Chester
> leaving

Word has it there are around 20 left.

> an all-but-dead company that's got one of the worst reputations in
> the personal computer industry.

Second only to Atari. A newsletter I have states Atari has abandoned
their entire line of computers to concentrate on the Jaguar.

> While people will hold out through economic
> troubles when they believe in something, there is absolutely no reason to
> continue hanging on when you lose the passion for what you do. This is what
> I believe is now happening.

Tough times always test the mettle of people.

> It's always a horrible thing to see a great
> product or a great team be destroyed by an incompetent management.

Can you hear the sounds of weeping at the mention of the 3000+

> The Amiga is gone, folks. Just let it go.

Mine is still here. If I let it go, the keyboard will break.

> Fantasies of a rebirth are
> fun, but I fear they are unrealistic. Even if the hardware were acquired
> and continued (again), the Amiga faces an uphill battle, trying to
> recapture marketshare and consumers which dumped it only years before.

I would love to see an official announcement of a buyout and restart.

The liquidation news is now hitting the mainstream magazines...

> I'm up for a good comeback story as much as anyone, but it's never happened
> in the computer industry. History has shown that once a platform gets
> shot down by the marketplace, it never comes back.

Mighty sweeping statement there. Ever hear of Windows 1.0 and 2.0?
Crash and burn, but look at that Zombie back from the dead...

> All things change, and all things die.

It would be mighty boring otherwise.

--
to...@cryo.cryogenic.com R.I.P. C=/Amiga 1985-1994

Marc N. Barrett

Jun 8, 1994, 8:41:06 PM6/8/94
In article <19940608.7...@cryo.cryogenic.com> to...@cryo.cryogenic.com (Anthony Campbell) writes:
>ggi...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (Gregg Giles) writes:
>> In article <Cr278...@pacifier.rain.com> ebr...@pacifier.rain.com (Ed Brown) writes:
>> >
>> >Along these same lines, the Amiga managed to survive the
>> >loss of the entire original design team, didn't it?
>>
>> I think that many fail to recognize that one of the main reasons the Amiga
>> was able to survive the loss of the original crew in Las Gatos was because
>> the machine and OS were way ahead of their time,
>
>In some peoples opinion's, it still is.

In what areas? Certainly not preemptive multitasking, since the Amiga
is no longer the only personal computer platform less than $10,000 that
has it. Yes, OS/2 needs more RAM than Amiga OS, but remember that Amigas
are EXPENSIVE. For the $2,300 price of an A4000/040 without a monitor,
one can put together a nice 486DX system with more than enough memory to
preemptively multitask nicely under OS/2, and have a monitor to boot.

And certainly not audio, since one can get a nice clone with a good
audio card or a PowerMac or AV Mac with 4-voice 16-bit stereo audio out
and 16-bit stereo audio sampling for less than the price of an A4000/040,
which BTW has 8-bit audio and *NO* audio sampling.

And certainly not in non-interlaced graphics and color capabilities.
For less than the price of an A4000/040, one can get a PowerMac which
gives you 800x600 graphics in full 24-bit color. (It may go even higher
than that in full 24-bit color, but I'm not certain) And of course you
can equip a clone with a really nice graphics card for less than the
price of an A4000/040, which is BTW limited to 704x480 with 8-bit color.
Don't give me that HAM bullshit. I'm going by the number of colors that
can be displayed on the Workbench.

And certainly not in CPU performance. The Amiga just plain sucks in
this area. 60Mhz 64-bit Pentium clones are becoming available for about the
price of an A4000/040, which is a 25Mhz 32-bit system. And one can get
a 60Mhz 64-bit PowerMac for much less than the A4000/040.

And certainly not in graphics performance. Try USING an A4000/040
with the Workbench set to 640x480 non-interlaced with 256 colors sometime.
It is BARELY usable! I'm not even going to say how an A4000/040 compares
to other systems in graphics performance, because it *DOESN'T*.

Back in 1986, when the Los Gatos facility was closed, the Amiga was
ahead in ALL of these areas. Now it is WAYYYYYYYY behind. Not just a
little behind, but a LOT behind.

>> and Commodore had the money
>> to propogate that hardware and OS (keep it from vanishing).
>
>And IF Samsung is really the buyer, they are rumoured to have a little
>spare cash.

Would they really want to spend it on the Amiga? Back in 1986,
Commodore HAD to spend some money on the Amiga, because they needed it
to survive. I don't think anyone can say that Samsung NEEDS the Amiga.
*IF* they buy it, it will likely be to get some money from the demand
that remains for the A1200 and CD32.

>> What's happened recently, however, is completely different than what
>> happened with the loss of the Las Gatos crew. Then, the technology was
>> being acquired by one of the biggest companies in the personal computer
>> business - Commodore - which had wads of cash to support their new
>> acquisition with. The original crew was there, still with ideas for
>> subsequent machines, and most importantly, the PASSION to make things happen.
>
>And who is to say that that Samsung doesn't have engineers dieing to get
>their hands on the Amiga.

Who is to say they do? And how much funding would Samsung give them
to do Amiga development? Engineers can't do anything without funding.

>> Now, however, we see what few engineers were left in West Chester
>> leaving
>
>Word has it there are around 20 left.

Your word is wrong. There were about 20 people left BEFORE Dave Haynie
and others left recently. Word I have is that there are *NO* software
people AT ALL left at Commodore. I've also heard that a VERY important
VLSI person left. I'd put the figure at closer to 10, MAYBE 15 at most.

gdrue...@csupomona.edu

Jun 8, 1994, 11:31:48 PM6/8/94
In article <2t5of2$e...@news.iastate.edu>, bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:
> In article <19940608.7...@cryo.cryogenic.com> to...@cryo.cryogenic.com (Anthony Campbell) writes:
>>ggi...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (Gregg Giles) writes:

>>> I think that many fail to recognize that one of the main reasons the Amiga
>>> was able to survive the loss of the original crew in Las Gatos was because
>>> the machine and OS were way ahead of their time,
>>
>>In some peoples opinion's, it still is.

[Marc Barett Propaganda about how a Mac + IBM together can do some of the same
stuff an Amiga has always done.]

>>> and Commodore had the money
>>> to propogate that hardware and OS (keep it from vanishing).
>>
>>And IF Samsung is really the buyer, they are rumoured to have a little
>>spare cash.

[More stuff deleted]

--

Oh Mighty Marc, please bless us with some more of your "inside information".

All these years you have claimed to know whats going on "INSIDE" Commodore, as
if they were giving you the information.
IMHO, you would be the last person on the earth they would want to talk to.

Now for the big question:

Now that Commodore is dead like you say, then what will your new purpose in
life be?

Will you go about harassing the people in the Tandy newsgroups?

---
Gene Ruebsamen

+ Computer Dept. Chair, ERA Champion Realty. +
Email: gdrue...@vmsa.is.csupomona.edu

The views that I express are not necessarily those of my employer.

Janne J Kalliola

Jun 9, 1994, 12:51:47 AM6/9/94
bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:

> In what areas? Certainly not preemptive multitasking, since the Amiga
>is no longer the only personal computer platform less than $10,000 that
>has it. Yes, OS/2 needs more RAM than Amiga OS, but remember that Amigas
>are EXPENSIVE. For the $2,300 price of an A4000/040 without a monitor,
>one can put together a nice 486DX system with more than enough memory to
>preemptively multitask nicely under OS/2, and have a monitor to boot.

> And certainly not audio, since one can get a nice clone with a good
>audio card or a PowerMac or AV Mac with 4-voice 16-bit stereo audio out
>and 16-bit stereo audio sampling for less than the price of an A4000/040,
>which BTW has 8-bit audio and *NO* audio sampling.

Yes, you could get a nice clone with an audio card, but then you may
lack memory to run OS/2.

> And certainly not in non-interlaced graphics and color capabilities.
>For less than the price of an A4000/040, one can get a PowerMac which
>gives you 800x600 graphics in full 24-bit color. (It may go even higher
>than that in full 24-bit color, but I'm not certain) And of course you
>can equip a clone with a really nice graphics card for less than the
>price of an A4000/040, which is BTW limited to 704x480 with 8-bit color.
>Don't give me that HAM bullshit. I'm going by the number of colors that
>can be displayed on the Workbench.

PowerMac doesn't currently do very nice multitasking. Here in Finland
you have to pay about 20,000 FIM for the cheapest PowerMac and I payed
my A4000/040 18,000 FIM. ($1 = 6 FIM).

> And certainly not in CPU performance. The Amiga just plain sucks in
>this area. 60Mhz 64-bit Pentium clones are becoming available for about the
>price of an A4000/040, which is a 25Mhz 32-bit system. And one can get
>a 60Mhz 64-bit PowerMac for much less than the A4000/040.

If you want to buy a Pentium with a good graphics card and music card,
to compete with A4000/040, you have to add at least $1000 to top of the
price of A4000.

> And certainly not in graphics performance. Try USING an A4000/040
>with the Workbench set to 640x480 non-interlaced with 256 colors sometime.
>It is BARELY usable! I'm not even going to say how an A4000/040 compares
>to other systems in graphics performance, because it *DOESN'T*.

Why you have to a graphic OS with 256 colors (because Windows has?),
you need 16 colors, no more. The graphic capabilities of Amiga are used
in film making business today, not in the OS.

> Would they really want to spend it on the Amiga? Back in 1986,
>Commodore HAD to spend some money on the Amiga, because they needed it
>to survive. I don't think anyone can say that Samsung NEEDS the Amiga.
>*IF* they buy it, it will likely be to get some money from the demand
>that remains for the A1200 and CD32.

Then why they negotiate?

> Who is to say they do? And how much funding would Samsung give them
>to do Amiga development? Engineers can't do anything without funding.

> Your word is wrong. There were about 20 people left BEFORE Dave Haynie

>and others left recently. Word I have is that there are *NO* software
>people AT ALL left at Commodore. I've also heard that a VERY important
>VLSI person left. I'd put the figure at closer to 10, MAYBE 15 at most.

I'd like to know your sources...
--
Janne Kalliola
Janne.K...@hut.fi

Allan Duncan

Jun 9, 1994, 12:57:49 AM6/9/94
From article <2t0au1$h...@opine.cs.umass.edu>, by bar...@cs.umass.edu (Daniel Barrett):

> I can confirm that Dave Haynie is now working for Scala, Inc. I
> heard this directly from his new boss... a fellow named Mike Sinz.
>
> Dan
> (no relation)

There are so many ex C= at Scala now, I begin to wonder - are they
bidding for a piece of the carcase? :-)

Allan Duncan
(+613) 253 6708 Internet a.du...@trl.oz.au
Fax 253 6664 UUCP {uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

Ed Brown

Jun 8, 1994, 11:57:38 PM6/8/94

> Wow, is this really true?!! Oh my god, will wonders never cease! I
> must run outand sell my amiga right away, it obviously will stop working
> now that Dave has left a bankrupt company. I was hoping that the amiga
> would be bought out but now that Dave Haynie has left I guess it means that
> it won't, the end of the world is approaching. All my hopes and dreams are
> dashed! Oh no! ;)

Yeah... but worse than that... all the useless d**k-heads who always post
here, whining and crying about how awful the Amiga is won't have *ANY*
meaning left in their lives! Maybe they should band together right
now... BOTH of them... and form a whiners support group... while there is
still time! ;-/

--
---
pacifier.com - Vancouver's Public access Internet (206) 693-0325
telnet or dial the above and type "new" at the prompt to register

Dan J. Rockwell

Jun 9, 1994, 3:41:56 AM6/9/94
fhei...@desire.wright.edu wrote:
: >
: > YET ANOTHER CBM employee goes to SCALA!

: >
: > WHY!
: >
: > I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a
: > little company who did some presentation s/w for the amiga (and only
: > the amiga). Would someone, maybe from scala maybe fill us all in
: > on why Scala now employs Hardware people, and what we can expect
: > from them in the future.
: >

Well I know they hired a while back the main person who did the operating
system of the Amiga to write a multitasking kernel on the PC. They plan to
release their MM series product on the PC this october.

:
: Anyway isn't Scala what they use on cable TV for the info channel
: or whatever?

Yes, the flagship product for Scala is the Info Channel system. It
application is vitrually limitless: cable, employee information, state
institutions, etc. They've also been working alot lately on some new 422
control devices ( a Amilink clone ) of sorts with a Scala MM look. At NAB
this year the announced new cable insertion abilites, and seem to be
prusuing the MPEG route very seriously. With the Amiga on the decline and
FAST, they may be devoting more R&D to other platforms to insure they're own
future. Scala is a kickass compnay, they are very smart, and offer a solid
product.

d...@infinet.com

Dan J. Rockwell

Jun 9, 1994, 3:44:40 AM6/9/94
Michael Schuldman (mich...@ifi.uio.no) wrote:

: In article <2t2bpm$a...@aludra.usc.edu>, park...@aludra.usc.edu (Steve Parkinson) writes:

: > I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a
: > little company who did some presentation s/w for the amiga (and only
: > the amiga). Would someone, maybe from scala maybe fill us all in
: > on why Scala now employs Hardware people, and what we can expect
: > from them in the future.

: Actually, Scala is big, quite big, and they only seem to get bigger (Recently
: they got a contract with a big US company, Texas "something" (not
: instruments) in competition with among other M$ and Apple, they also
: got a contract with Brithish Telecom (I think) and will be making
: software for those new cable TV set-ups supposed to come).

General Instruments, to make setop boxes for tv and such.

They also have a deal with Ameritech.

: Yes, they are big (Jon Bøhmer, one of the (_the_ ?) people in scala

: will hold some kind of lecture here (not at the university, but
: some kind of "coffe meeting" or something), sponsored by IBM.
: But no, I dont think they are anywhere close to buy C= and produce
: Amigas, not alone atleast.

No way, they aren't that big. I hear they are working on a CD32 solution
that will reveive the lost A1200 market.

d...@infinet.com

Dan J. Rockwell

Jun 9, 1994, 3:49:47 AM6/9/94
Darren Metcalfe (ime...@teleport.com) wrote:
: After all this endless discussion (I'm being polite here) you must realise

: that SCALA has seen the end coming for a long time. Over a year ago Rick
: Salmon, CEO SCALA US, was already talking about SCALA PC (with it's own
: 32-bit OS) and a mysterious little black box they've been working on. Now
: that little black box will most likely have AGA intact. A1200's are still
: the only way to make InfoChannel cost effective considering the outrageous
: price of the software. GO SCALA!

Not really, compared to other systems offer similar capabilities, the Amiga
and Scala even at a 4000 LC blow away the competition. And Scala quite
honestly for the high end is cheap. TargetVision and similar products on
the PC are VERY expensive easily by $5000 or more. Since the decline of
A1200's (make for very good simple players) the CD32 is they only light in
the tunnel left for a cheap cheap plaer option. This is only good for
simple player systems, the minute you want to control a VTR and a modem,
you have to look at a A4000. I wish the A4000 had a composite output!

d...@infinet.com

Zsolt Szabo

Jun 9, 1994, 1:14:53 AM6/9/94

>This program may post news to many machines.
>Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny]

First of all, what happened to the good old "This program...blah blah
blah...waste millions of dollars...blah blah..."? It got replaced (on
this host) by a simple "This program may post news to many machines"?

How funny!

Well, anyway, I'll get back on topic.

Quoting PC Magazine:
--------------------
`Engineers at IBM's Haifa Research Center have developed a DSP that's 100
percent software. The code can be ported to any chip and used as a
virtual on-board DSP that does real-time manipulation of voice.'

[...]

At IBM's Haifa Research Center, a team of engineers have developed a DSP
code-named Freedom. They showed this programmable digital signal
processor as a MIDI system capable oof playing 32 32-bit voices
simultaneously (ed. note: !!!). The most interesting thing about this DSP
is that it's virtual-100 percent software. The engineers say that the
PowerPC 601 is designed in such a way that it can act as a DSP and needs
no coprocessor for DSP chores if one uses the IBM code.
Apparently, the code can be ported to any microprocessor and used as a
virtual on-board DSP. I'm told that the PowerPC is most efficient (e.
note: no sh*t, being a RISC! ;^). The system uses "plug-ins" to exploit
the underlying engine. I saw an add-in for real-time manipulation of
voice that could turn a lady's voice into a slow-talking man's or
whatever you wanted. Hot stuff. One of the IBM engineers admitted that
the unfortunate aspect of this development is that Apple (with its Power
Mac) is more likely to buy into it than IBM.
---

Anyone want to do another S3M player?

;^)

Mike Latinovich

Jun 9, 1994, 3:31:29 AM6/9/94
On Wed 8-Jun-1994 8:48a, Matthias Meixner wrote:
MM> : Maybe he's going to work on 'High-End Systems' for Scala.

MM> : Maybe Scala is or has licensed the Amiga chipset and OS for dedicated
MM> : Scala boxes.

MM> Maybe Scala is going to make High-End Amiga-Clones and will take over the
MM> Amiga-market with their new developement of RTG and AAA.

MM> (Let's hope the best :-) )

Can anyone say "Scala 5000"? Just a thought. :)

And to Dave (if you perchance read this):

Best of luck with your new job, no matter where it'll take you! Thanks for
all the great things you've done for the Amiga!

.------------------------ sky...@skysys.org ------------------------------.
|////// ____ ____ /|
|///// Usenet ___ / __/ / __/ ___ FidoNet/AmigaNet//|
|//// Newsgroups /__/ \__ \KYLINE! \__ \YSTEMS /__/ CLink/LinkNET ///|
|/// /___/ /___/ ////|
|// Another CNet/3 Amiga BBS US Robotics /////|
|/ System on the Net 217.359.1189 HST/DS v.32terbo //////|
`----------------------- netcom!skysys!skyline ----------------------------'

Neil J. McRae

Jun 8, 1994, 8:37:49 PM6/8/94
Harv R Laser (Ha...@cup.portal.com) wrote:

: Apparently too, Commodore will be moving what's left of their

: West Chester operation into a smaller nearby building and turning

: off cbmvax in the next week or two.

A auction room ? ;-)

Neil.

--
ne...@ibmpcug.co.uk < Urgent Stuff | Neil J. McRae +---------------+
ne...@domino.demon.co.uk < Home Mail | Edinburgh UK | * | * * |

Neil J. McRae

Jun 8, 1994, 8:42:54 PM6/8/94
Stefan G. Berg (sgb...@charon.bloomington.in.us) wrote:

: > the low end will suffer. Without high-end, it's pointless.

: I totally agree with that. If the next machines will be low end
: machines, my next computer will be a PC or some workstation.

I too, I'm sick of CBM doing things for the masses like CD32, The have
failed with so many of them, if there ever is a new Amiga, which I think,
let it be a high end one.

Regards.

fhei...@desire.wright.edu

Jun 9, 1994, 7:54:49 AM6/9/94
In article <1994Jun8.1...@bnrmtl.bnr.ca>, groleau@NTPSERVER (Francois Groleau) writes:
> fhei...@desire.wright.edu wrote:
> : In article <2t2bpm$a...@aludra.usc.edu>, park...@aludra.usc.edu (Steve Parkinson) writes:
> : > to...@cryo.cryogenic.com (Anthony Campbell) writes:
>
> Would you remember in which issue of EE Times this was mentioned?

I got it in the mail, at work, two days ago from the date of this
post.

-Fred

Michael van Elst

Jun 9, 1994, 7:51:42 AM6/9/94
In <1994Jun9.0...@domino.demon.co.uk> ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:
>failed with so many of them, if there ever is a new Amiga, which I think,
>let it be a high end one.

They failed more with high end items.

Anyway, are you prepared to buy high end Amigas at high end prices ?
Or will you just complain that the Oktium-PCs are so much cheaper ?

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst

Internet: mle...@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de mle...@serpens.rhein.de

Mark P Allen

Jun 8, 1994, 4:55:50 AM6/8/94
Hi Rob,

In a message of 07 Jun 94 you wrote to All:

RM> This is really just a curiosity question. Is there anyone that works at
RM> Scala that didn't come from C=. It seems really strange that Scala seems
RM> to have more of C= engineers than C= has had for a couple of years. I
RM> was just wondering actually.

RM> I guess who ever (yes I am thinking positively) buys C=, should also
RM> buy Scala just to get the people. :)

Everyone's got it wrong. SCALA have been throwing up a web of rumour and
intrigue all this time, to diguise the fact that they are in the process of
buying out C= and will soon have AAA/RISC/PCI Amiga workstations on the streets
running WB 4.0...

Well, it makes more sense than many posts in here of late ;^)

Regards,

Mark P Allen Cairns
mal...@paradox.apana.org.au Australia

Luke Koops

Jun 9, 1994, 5:43:41 PM6/9/94

>I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a
>little company who did some presentation s/w for the amiga (and only
>the amiga). Would someone, maybe from scala maybe fill us all in
>on why Scala now employs Hardware people, and what we can expect
>from them in the future.

Scala does make some hardware. They have the EX100 (I think that's the number)
which will control LANC VCR's, although it does a very bad job of it (the IR
emitter/decoder really sucks) and they have the VE500 coming out sometime
soon which is an RS-422 Edit Controller, very cool.

-Greg

Greg Scott national amiga
ko...@gaul.csd.uwo.ca 519-645-2144

Neil J. McRae

Jun 9, 1994, 12:43:23 PM6/9/94
In article <1994Jun9.1...@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de>
mle...@specklec.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) writes:
>In <1994Jun9.0...@domino.demon.co.uk>
> ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:

>>failed with so many of them, if there ever is a new Amiga, which I think,

should have been which I don't think. :-)

>>let it be a high end one.
>
>They failed more with high end items.

Sorry but they failed with both high and low end systems. It was third
parties that made the lower end systems happen. Especially in Europe.

>Anyway, are you prepared to buy high end Amigas at high end prices ?
>Or will you just complain that the Oktium-PCs are so much cheaper ?

If they are value for money then I will purchase one. At the current
moment the A4000 is almost _DOUBLE_ the price of a 486DX266.

And look at the PPC Macs, they make the Amiga 4000 look like something out
of the dark ages and the Machines are less expensive. I hate Macs btw but
if anyone does take over the Amiga range, which I find highly unlikley,
they must bring the pricing scheme in range with similairly powered
systems, otherwise they would have been better to let the machine and CBM
go out quietly.

Regards,

Neil

Neil J. McRae

Jun 9, 1994, 12:46:52 PM6/9/94
In article <2t5of2$e...@news.iastate.edu> bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:

>>In some peoples opinion's, it still is.
>
> In what areas? Certainly not preemptive multitasking, since the Amiga
>is no longer the only personal computer platform less than $10,000 that
>has it. Yes, OS/2 needs more RAM than Amiga OS, but remember that Amigas
>are EXPENSIVE. For the $2,300 price of an A4000/040 without a monitor,
>one can put together a nice 486DX system with more than enough memory to
>preemptively multitask nicely under OS/2, and have a monitor to boot.

Forget that, I can assemble a Pentium 66 PCI for less than a
Amiga4000/040 and with much more features such as sound, True colour
video and bundled software.

> And certainly not audio, since one can get a nice clone with a good
>audio card or a PowerMac or AV Mac with 4-voice 16-bit stereo audio out
>and 16-bit stereo audio sampling for less than the price of an A4000/040,
>which BTW has 8-bit audio and *NO* audio sampling.

> And certainly not in CPU performance. The Amiga just plain sucks in

>this area. 60Mhz 64-bit Pentium clones are becoming available for about the
>price of an A4000/040, which is a 25Mhz 32-bit system. And one can get
>a 60Mhz 64-bit PowerMac for much less than the A4000/040.

P-5/90 Clones are coming priced in line with similarly equipped
Amiga4000/040 systems.

> Your word is wrong. There were about 20 people left BEFORE Dave Haynie
>and others left recently. Word I have is that there are *NO* software
>people AT ALL left at Commodore. I've also heard that a VERY important
>VLSI person left. I'd put the figure at closer to 10, MAYBE 15 at most.

The recent departures at CBM has made the Amiga a less worthwhile
product, after all Dave Hanynie said himself that the reason that the
current staff where being kept on was to make the Amiga and its
technolodgy more attractive to buyers. Who in their right mind there days
has money to spend learning out dated technolodgy (sp?) the departures
only in my opinion make CBM a less viable purchase.

Regards,

Neil.

Neil J. McRae

Jun 9, 1994, 12:50:11 PM6/9/94
In article <plastic....@vipunen.hut.fi> pla...@vipunen.hut.fi (Janne J Kalliola) writes:
>bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:
>
>> In what areas? Certainly not preemptive multitasking, since the Amiga
>>is no longer the only personal computer platform less than $10,000 that
>>has it. Yes, OS/2 needs more RAM than Amiga OS, but remember that Amigas
>>are EXPENSIVE. For the $2,300 price of an A4000/040 without a monitor,
>>one can put together a nice 486DX system with more than enough memory to
>>preemptively multitask nicely under OS/2, and have a monitor to boot.
>
>> And certainly not in non-interlaced graphics and color capabilities.
>>For less than the price of an A4000/040, one can get a PowerMac which
>>gives you 800x600 graphics in full 24-bit color. (It may go even higher
>>than that in full 24-bit color, but I'm not certain) And of course you
>>can equip a clone with a really nice graphics card for less than the
>>price of an A4000/040, which is BTW limited to 704x480 with 8-bit color.
>>Don't give me that HAM bullshit. I'm going by the number of colors that
>>can be displayed on the Workbench.
>
>PowerMac doesn't currently do very nice multitasking. Here in Finland
>you have to pay about 20,000 FIM for the cheapest PowerMac and I payed
>my A4000/040 18,000 FIM. ($1 = 6 FIM).
>
>If you want to buy a Pentium with a good graphics card and music card,
>to compete with A4000/040, you have to add at least $1000 to top of the
>price of A4000.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT. WRONGO. I can purchase a better equiped P-5 machine than
an Amiga4000/040 with True Colour and better sound, with bundled software.

Byron Montgomerie

Jun 8, 1994, 12:34:08 PM6/8/94
On 8 Jun 1994 07:21:54 GMT Marc N. Barrett (bar...@iastate.edu) did proclaim:
# For one thing, not all of the original design team left when the Los Gatos
# facility was closed in 1986. Second, the Amiga survived by virtue of the fact
# that it was ahead of most systems in most areas at the time. Unfortunately,
# this is not the case today. Not only is the Amiga without any design team at
# all, it is at the same time WAY behind the rest of the industry in most
# respects.

That may be true, but so what? The fastest means of travel may be the space shuttle
but I don't have one in my garage. You could say the same thing about 486 machines.

# So, you can't really compare the situation today with the situation back
# in 1986. They are TOTALLY different.

The amiga was sold before because of lack of funds to continue, pretty much the
same situation today, just a bigger company doing the selling.

Regards,

Himself

Michael van Elst

Jun 10, 1994, 3:32:10 AM6/10/94
In <1994Jun9.1...@domino.demon.co.uk> ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:
>they must bring the pricing scheme in range with similairly powered
>systems, otherwise they would have been better to let the machine and CBM
>go out quietly.

Ah, as I thought. Why are you still here ?

Eyal Teler

Jun 10, 1994, 4:29:38 AM6/10/94
In article <1994Jun9.0...@domino.demon.co.uk>, ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:
|> I too, I'm sick of CBM doing things for the masses like CD32, The have
|> failed with so many of them, if there ever is a new Amiga, which I think,
|> let it be a high end one.

Failed with so many of them? Please refresh my memory (CDTV doesn't make
'so many'). As it happens, C= low end machines are the most successful
Amigas. I don't have anything against high end systems, but I'll be
willing to agree that we don't need low end machines when I can get a
high end one for $1000 including a monitor.

Peter Kittel Germany

Jun 10, 1994, 3:00:12 AM6/10/94

Oh boy, Marc lying as we know him since years. Yesterday morning there was
a posting from Eric Cotton with a Commodore address. There's still
Allan Havemose as software boss and many more.

Now finally stop LYING! It's disgusting.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel // E-Mail to \\ Only my personal opinions...
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany \X/ pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com

Eric Cotton - Software Engineering

Jun 10, 1994, 9:31:51 AM6/10/94
Ha...@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) writes:
>Apparently too, Commodore will be moving what's left of their
>West Chester operation into a smaller nearby building and turning
>off cbmvax in the next week or two.

Don't put too much importance into the loss of CBMVAX. I haven't used it
in some time now (we have other, more reliable systems). I for one won't
mourn it's loss.

BTW, "smaller" is relative. The WC building is mammoth - one of the largest
in the area - so just about any other building is smaller.

Eric
--
Eric M. Cotton (215) 431-9100
Commodore-Amiga er...@commodore.com

jes degn soerensen

Jun 10, 1994, 10:36:02 AM6/10/94
In article 19...@cbmnews.commodore.com, er...@gp2.commodore.com (Eric Cotton - Software Engineering) writes:
>Ha...@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) writes:
>>Apparently too, Commodore will be moving what's left of their
>>West Chester operation into a smaller nearby building and turning
>>off cbmvax in the next week or two.
>
>Don't put too much importance into the loss of CBMVAX. I haven't used it
>in some time now (we have other, more reliable systems). I for one won't
>mourn it's loss.
>
>BTW, "smaller" is relative. The WC building is mammoth - one of the largest
>in the area - so just about any other building is smaller.

Well Eric, you should be able to tell us: Has cbmvax been disconnected or is it still
alive? It responds as being alive if you ping it from here.

Jes

---
Jes Sorensen: jds...@kom.auc.dk | If programming was ment to be fun,
j...@leech.adsp.sub.org | why did they come up with Intel?

Alan Baxter

Jun 10, 1994, 6:14:42 PM6/10/94
>I don`t know much about scala, but I thought they were just a

I was thinking about this. They have taken on a lot of staff, yet don't
have much in the way of profit. To pay their staff they must get money
from somewhere - in other words either they issue shares or sell
futures. In either case, they must have a portfolio for interested
investers which details WHAT TH EHELL THEY ARE DOING WITH THE ENTIRE
AMIGA DEVELOPMENT TEAM!!

Regards Alan

Neil J. McRae

Jun 10, 1994, 9:00:25 PM6/10/94
In article <1994Jun10....@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> mle...@speckled.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) writes:
>In <1994Jun9.1...@domino.demon.co.uk> ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:
>>they must bring the pricing scheme in range with similairly powered
>>systems, otherwise they would have been better to let the machine and CBM
>>go out quietly.
>
>Ah, as I thought. Why are you still here ?

Possibly because I own 3 Amiga's?

Neil.

sincl...@cobra.uni.edu

Jun 11, 1994, 2:28:55 PM6/11/94
In article <15...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com>, pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com (Peter Kittel Germany) writes:

> In article <2t5of2$e...@news.iastate.edu>, bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:
>>In article <19940608.7...@cryo.cryogenic.com> to...@cryo.cryogenic.com (Anthony Campbell) writes:
>>>
>>>Word has it there are around 20 left.
>>
>> Your word is wrong. There were about 20 people left BEFORE Dave Haynie
>>and others left recently. Word I have is that there are *NO* software
>>people AT ALL left at Commodore.
>
> Oh boy, Marc lying as we know him since years. Yesterday morning there was
> a posting from Eric Cotton with a Commodore address. There's still
> Allan Havemose as software boss and many more.

Come off it Peter, Marc has been right about C='s condition. So Marc was a
liitle off with the numbers by a factor of five people, whats the difference.
Thats a pretty pathetic number for a computer company. So, why are you
sticking around? Sounds like you are defending the incompetent management.
Oh i forgot you are part of it.

I can't belive at one time that Compaq and Dell Computer were smaller than C=,
now they are billion dollar companies. These are highly profitable companies
who were able to make it despite low margins. Sounds like excellent
management.

> Now finally stop LYING! It's disgusting.

Not like you have been honest..

> --
> Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel // E-Mail to \\ Only my personal opinions...
> Commodore Frankfurt, Germany \X/ pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com

Peter Sinclair-Day
University of Northern Iowa

Neil J. McRae

Jun 11, 1994, 2:51:12 PM6/11/94
In article <2t68gd...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> robo...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Zsolt Szabo) writes:

>>This program may post news to many machines.
>>Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny]
>

>First of all, what happened to the good old "This program...blah blah
>blah...waste millions of dollars...blah blah..."? It got replaced (on
>this host) by a simple "This program may post news to many machines"?
>
>How funny!

I think it has something to do with userlevels within Pnews and trn once
you've posted a few articles it stops bothering you with that annoying
message, quite a good idea.

Rob Healey

Jun 11, 1994, 2:31:58 PM6/11/94
In article <2t9toi$1...@news.iesd.auc.dk>,

jes degn soerensen <jds...@kom.auc.dk> wrote:
>In article 19...@cbmnews.commodore.com, er...@gp2.commodore.com (Eric Cotton - Software Engineering) writes:
>>Ha...@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) writes:
>>>Apparently too, Commodore will be moving what's left of their
>>>West Chester operation into a smaller nearby building and turning
>>>off cbmvax in the next week or two.
>>
>>Don't put too much importance into the loss of CBMVAX. I haven't used it
>>in some time now (we have other, more reliable systems). I for one won't
>>mourn it's loss.
>>
>>BTW, "smaller" is relative. The WC building is mammoth - one of the largest
>>in the area - so just about any other building is smaller.
>
>Well Eric, you should be able to tell us: Has cbmvax been disconnected or is it still
>alive? It responds as being alive if you ping it from here.

cbmvax doesn't appear to handle DNS, mail or news so who gives
a rip if an aging VAX that should have been retired years ago
is finally retired?

-Rob

Thomas Boerkel

Jun 10, 1994, 5:07:54 PM6/10/94
Hi Duncan !

In a message of 06-Jun-94 Duncan Grisby wrote:

DG> In article <2svthh$g...@skypoint.skypoint.com>, chu...@skypoint.net
DG> (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
>> In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>, Marc N. Barrett
>> <bar...@iastate.edu> wrote: [...]
>> Oh come off it mark. Dave's had a steady paycheck from C= for more
>> years than you've been an adult. How can you call working for
>> commodore for that number
>> of years unstable?

DG> What, you mean Marc's an adult?

DG> :-)

No, it`s an Eliza-type program ;-)

Bye,
Thomas

Mark P Allen

Jun 12, 1994, 6:57:22 AM6/12/94
Hi Alan,

In a message of 10 Jun 94 you wrote to All:

AB> investers which details WHAT TH EHELL THEY ARE DOING WITH THE ENTIRE
AB> AMIGA DEVELOPMENT TEAM!!

Looks like thay are building a proprietary multitasking OS that will run on most
platforms and producing the things they produce best to run on it...

Regards

Philip McDunnough

Jun 13, 1994, 5:18:23 AM6/13/94
In article <2t4qio$n...@pith.uoregon.edu> ggi...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (Gregg Giles) writes:

[ ]

> The Amiga is gone, folks. Just let it go. Fantasies of a rebirth are
>fun, but I fear they are unrealistic. Even if the hardware were acquired
>and continued (again), the Amiga faces an uphill battle, trying to
>recapture marketshare and consumers which dumped it only years before.
>I'm up for a good comeback story as much as anyone, but it's never happened
>in the computer industry. History has shown that once a platform gets
>shot down by the marketplace, it never comes back.
> All things change, and all things die.

This are simply opinions in the dark, and you seem to take great glee in
expressing them when ever you get a chance.

As for history, since when have you become an authority?

Nothing is clear regarding the Amiga, despite your odd interpretation of the
recent marketshare statistics you extracted from the pree release you posted.

If the Amiga is gone, then why the heck don't you leave for a while? Come back
when it's either a cult computer or is doing well. It's annoying to have MB
clones all over the place.

--
Philip McDunnough OR P. McDunnough (U of Toronto-stats)
phi...@utstat.toronto.edu (NeXT Mail) phi...@utstat.toronto.edu

Paul van der Heu

Jun 12, 1994, 6:18:15 PM6/12/94
Dan J. Rockwell (d...@infinet.com) wrote:

: future. Scala is a kickass compnay, they are very smart, and offer a solid
: product.

Scala is turning into the Microsoft of teh Amiga.. And their products are
far from solid as soon as you make it share the platform it runs on with
other apps.

Scala is a resource hog and leaves little or no room for other apps. Also
ScalaMM300 stil cannot do a SMOOTH slow vertical scroll.

--

Paul 'Starchild' van der Heu, The MotherShip Connection
pv...@motship.hacktic.nl

You cannot do a multitasking operating system in less than 4MB
- Bill Gates

Eric Cotton - Software Engineering

Jun 13, 1994, 8:59:46 AM6/13/94
jds...@kom.auc.dk writes:
>In article 19...@cbmnews.commodore.com, er...@gp2.commodore.com (Eric Cotton - Software Engineering) writes:
>>Ha...@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) writes:
>>>Apparently too, Commodore will be moving what's left of their
>>>West Chester operation into a smaller nearby building and turning
>>>off cbmvax in the next week or two.
>>
>>Don't put too much importance into the loss of CBMVAX. I haven't used it
>>in some time now (we have other, more reliable systems). I for one won't
>>mourn it's loss.
>>
>>BTW, "smaller" is relative. The WC building is mammoth - one of the largest
>>in the area - so just about any other building is smaller.
>
>Well Eric, you should be able to tell us: Has cbmvax been disconnected or is it still
>alive? It responds as being alive if you ping it from here.

It's still alive and kicking.

Peter Kittel Germany

Jun 13, 1994, 4:51:37 AM6/13/94

In article <1994Jun9.1...@domino.demon.co.uk>, ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:

>Sorry but they failed with both high and low end systems. It was third
>parties that made the lower end systems happen. Especially in Europe.

Huh? What did third parties that made A500 and A1200 a success?
At the time of purchasing, most of these computers were in their
basic version. Updates to more RAM, a HD, and other additions
typically happened a bit later. Until then already the basic
configuration served/serves well for most common applications.
So this base configuration, as shipped by Commodore, was/is the
basis for the success.

>And look at the PPC Macs, they make the Amiga 4000 look like something out
>of the dark ages and the Machines are less expensive.

No and no. Those poor devices are still hampered by an inefficient OS
that lets them appear in my eyes slower than an Amiga, and after my
figures they are still more expensive than an A4000.

Evan Kirchhoff

Jun 13, 1994, 4:16:14 PM6/13/94
In article <pvdh...@motship.hacktic.nl> pv...@motship.hacktic.nl (Paul van der Heu) writes:
>Scala is a resource hog and leaves little or no room for other apps. Also
>ScalaMM300 stil cannot do a SMOOTH slow vertical scroll.

Scala500 from the Amiga Format coverdisk a few years back can do a smooth
slow vertical scroll on a 1.3 A500, or on a 3.0 A4000 -- but NOT on a 2.0
A500. I have no idea why...

--
Evan Kirchhoff, kir...@ccu.umanitoba.ca

sincl...@cobra.uni.edu

Jun 13, 1994, 8:59:49 PM6/13/94
In article <15...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com>, pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com (Peter Kittel Germany) writes:

> In article <1994Jun9.1...@domino.demon.co.uk>, ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:
>>
>>Sorry but they failed with both high and low end systems. It was third
>>parties that made the lower end systems happen. Especially in Europe.
>
> Huh? What did third parties that made A500 and A1200 a success?
> At the time of purchasing, most of these computers were in their
> basic version. Updates to more RAM, a HD, and other additions
> typically happened a bit later. Until then already the basic
> configuration served/serves well for most common applications.
> So this base configuration, as shipped by Commodore, was/is the
> basis for the success.
>
>>And look at the PPC Macs, they make the Amiga 4000 look like something out
>>of the dark ages and the Machines are less expensive.
>
> No and no. Those poor devices are still hampered by an inefficient OS
> that lets them appear in my eyes slower than an Amiga, and after my
> figures they are still more expensive than an A4000.

This inefficient OS does alot more than the Amiga OS. The Amiga OS lacks many
features than System 7. I suppose if the Amiga OS had the features that
System 7 had, than would it be inefficient or progress?

In the USA, the Amiga 4000 040 costs $2300, while the PM6100 costs $1600($1457,
my cost). Than, you would have to add SCSI and 16 bit sound to that Amig at
extra cost.

Constant product development is the key to get ahead, something that C= never
understood. I remember inmy Marketing Class, where my Prof. discussed that
C=President Tom Ratigan got canned because he wanted to spend money for
advertising. My prof. called Irving Gould an idiot and loser.

Oh well, it could been an alternative today. I wish it was.

> --
> Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel // E-Mail to \\ Only my personal opinions...
> Commodore Frankfurt, Germany \X/ pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com

Peter Sinclair-Day
University of Northern Iowa

Shaune Beattie

Jun 13, 1994, 10:12:42 PM6/13/94
Evan Kirchhoff (kir...@cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:

hmm, seem to remember a while back I noticed my 2.0 A500 gave a speed of
0.98 as compared to a A500 with sysinfo, whereas my 1.2 model gave the
expected 1.00.. so could be that the 2.0 models run fractionally slower
than the older ones? can't rememeber the clock speeds off the top of my
head, but maybe there's a slight change?

: --
: Evan Kirchhoff, kir...@ccu.umanitoba.ca

Shaune Beattie sd...@cus.cam.ac.uk | Sha...@beattie.demon.co.uk

u898...@csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au

Jun 13, 1994, 8:55:03 PM6/13/94
In article <1994Jun7.115008.2789@decus>, far...@decus.ch (Jean-Pierre Farine) writes:
> In article <2su605$b...@news.iastate.edu>, bar...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett) writes:
>>
> [...]
>
> Since Dave Haynie posting on Mehdi Ali (Re: Bryce Speaks out! Important!
> Date: 12 May 94 20:28:15 GMT) it was in IMHO clear that both could not work
> together any more. I always hoped that if C= should survive Mehdi Ali would be
> the one which has to leave...
>
> If D. Haynie really left C= there are not many alternatives left:
>
> 1. C= survives and M. Ali remains at the control :-(
> 2. Both D. Haynie and M. Ali leave C=
> 3. D. Haynie get a job in a company buying C= :-)
> 4. D. Haynie get a job in a company related to the Amiga. This could mean
> that D. Haynie thinks that there is a future for the Amiga.

5. D. Haynie get's a job for the sake of making money.(To buy food and ..
bear:-) It works out that he will be working with Scala. They are big
enough to start making their own computers now (clones with custom HW is
my guess). Although they still say they are hopeful for the Amiga ...
I hope it's true

> --
> Jean-Pierre (John-Peter) Farine
> e-mail: far...@decus.ch (used as a gateway to usenet)
> Internet: far...@grd.inet.ch
> X.400: c=ch,admd=arcom,prmd=grd,s=farine
> FAX: +41 31 324 6121 Phone: +41 31 324 6110 / 13

George

Neil J. McRae

Jun 14, 1994, 1:44:57 AM6/14/94
In article <15...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com> pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com (Peter Kittel Germany) writes:

>In article <1994Jun9.1...@domino.demon.co.uk>, ne...@domino.demon.co.uk (Neil J. McRae) writes:
>>
>>Sorry but they failed with both high and low end systems. It was third
>>parties that made the lower end systems happen. Especially in Europe.
>
>Huh? What did third parties that made A500 and A1200 a success?
>At the time of purchasing, most of these computers were in their
>basic version. Updates to more RAM, a HD, and other additions
>typically happened a bit later. Until then already the basic
>configuration served/serves well for most common applications.
>So this base configuration, as shipped by Commodore, was/is the
>basis for the success.

Sorry Peter you speak of hardware only, I speak of both hardware and
software. 3rd parties are the reason the Amiga is here.

>>And look at the PPC Macs, they make the Amiga 4000 look like something out
>>of the dark ages and the Machines are less expensive.
>
>No and no. Those poor devices are still hampered by an inefficient OS
>that lets them appear in my eyes slower than an Amiga, and after my
>figures they are still more expensive than an A4000.

Not performancewise.

The Amigs 4000/040 remains to be the biggest con in computer history.

Neil.

Peter Kittel Germany

Jun 14, 1994, 5:47:16 AM6/14/94
In article <1994Jun11.1...@cobra.uni.edu> sincl...@cobra.uni.edu writes:
>In article <15...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com>, pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com (Peter Kittel Germany) writes:
>>
>> Oh boy, Marc lying as we know him since years. Yesterday morning there was
>> a posting from Eric Cotton with a Commodore address. There's still
>> Allan Havemose as software boss and many more.
>
>Come off it Peter, Marc has been right about C='s condition. So Marc was a
>liitle off with the numbers

But nobody is allowed to tolerate lies that there were remaining nothing
at all. This is in my eyes much worse than "a little off". Percentage-wise
it's even infinitely more.

>So, why are you
>sticking around?

Because I'm still with the company and want to defend the Amiga against
liars and doomsaysers on the net. To inject at least some reality into
this hilarious world.

>Sounds like you are defending the incompetent management.

Cite me, please.

>Oh i forgot you are part of it.

Nah, not part of management, AFAIK.

>> Now finally stop LYING! It's disgusting.
>
>Not like you have been honest..

I don't like accusations when they can't get proven. For Marc it's
easily to prove how many times he blatantly lied. I'm sure there are
no such events with me. Where was I not honest? I can get extremely
angry about this issue, I tell you.

Klaus Burkert

Jun 14, 1994, 1:09:35 PM6/14/94
>Thats a pretty pathetic number for a computer company. So, why are you
>sticking around? Sounds like you are defending the incompetent management.
>Oh i forgot you are part of it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not true. Peter is not in management but in support. You could compare
him more to CATS than to sales.

Ciao, Klaus.

Klaus Burkert, email: cr...@arkon.adsp.sub.org, Fido: 2:241/76.26

Tommy the Tourist

Jun 15, 1994, 12:51:55 PM6/15/94
In <1994Jun13.1...@cobra.uni.edu>, sincl...@cobra.uni.edu writes:

>This inefficient OS does alot more than the Amiga OS. The Amiga OS lacks many
>features than System 7. I suppose if the Amiga OS had the features that
>System 7 had, than would it be inefficient or progress?

Oh! And would you care to enlightn use as to these "lacking" features?
System 7 does not multitask nor does it have a command line interface.
It's overblown and slow, four strikes, it's outta there.

kibo chile
mac-10 argentina
--------
For more information about this anonymous posting service,please send mail
to rema...@soda.berkeley.edu with Subject: remailer-info.
--------
To respond to the sender of this message, send mail to
rema...@soda.berkeley.edu, starting your message with
the following 8 lines:
::
Response-Key: ideaclipper

====Encrypted-Sender-Begin====
MI@```%=S^P;+]AB?X9TW6\8WR:JP&2$RI'-Q7V95`AYH%Z4@%\Q/W1]',',:
M^VD97TGV]J8,?0"C_;X=-CFG5ZX"$;;?@E<N86SB(Y73_F%E'(1)$[?%._'H
"<N8`
====Encrypted-Sender-End====

Jody Fanning

Jun 17, 1994, 7:35:59 PM6/17/94

In article <1994Jun13.1...@cobra.uni.edu> sincl...@cobra.uni.edu writes:
> In the USA, the Amiga 4000 040 costs $2300, while the PM6100 costs $1600($1457,
> my cost). Than, you would have to add SCSI and 16 bit sound to that Amig at
> extra cost.

Thats pretty impressive, here in NZ the PPC Mac (6100) starts at about
NZ$5500 (US$3000) and thats without monitor or keyboard. The A4000
was down to about NZ$4800

--
Jody Fanning | If the world was an orange
jo...@odyssey.equinox.gen.nz | it would be far too small

Paul Brown

Jun 20, 1994, 11:22:31 AM6/20/94
Paul van der Heu (pv...@motship.hacktic.nl) wrote:

: --

Hang on, does this mean that a more advanced amiga program that everybody
seems to think is the best on the Amiga actually consumes more than the 64K
the rest of the Amiga programs seem to consume. Heaven forbid amiga
users may have to upgrade their Ram total to run the newer programs.

Paul.

These are the views of me and not who I work for so there.