Weird problems with CyberStorm MK-I 060

Paul Hamer

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Hi!

I've recently extended my Amiga 4000 with a CyberStorm MKI 060 from a
friend of mine, and I have narrowed-down my 'random-crash' problem to
the following.

I boot with no startup-sequence and type 'dir dh4:inbound' which is a
directory that contains 143 files. The harddisk rattles and a few
seconds later I get to see the directory. great... no troubles here...

Now, I reboot again with no startup-sequence, I type in 'SetPatch' and
then again 'dir dh4:inbound'... the harddisk accesses a few times and
then DH4: crashed... software failure in task DH4... weird eh?

I've tried both setpatch 40.16 and 43.4 with the same results :( The
harddisk has NO harderrors, I've checked for that with several
programmes. Also I've tried playing around with the maxtransfer... no
luck... it's currently at $1fe00. I have a Connor CFS 1275A connected
next to a 120MB Seagate drive, both IDE-drives.

I also noticed that setpatch switches on the datacache, so instead of
typing 'setpatch' before doing the dir command, I typed 'cpu
datacache'... but then, doing 'dir dh4:inbound' works just fine...

Currently I'm running a softkicked OS 3.1 (40.68) and I have 3.0
(39.106) in ROM. The described crash only occurs when accessing a large
directory at DH4, all other partition (on the same HD) work fine! It
seems that a soon as the total size of the harddisk accesses to DH4 is
larger than the number of buffers, it crashes...

I'm going NUTS here... can anybody help me out ??

Greetz, Paul Hamer
__
__ /// FIDO 2:286/407.27 Amiga 4000, CyberStorm 060 50MHz 26MB
1.4GB
\\\/// NLA 14:101/200.27 e-mail: qq...@oce.nl CyberVision
64
\XX/ AMY 39:153/201.27 paul....@grafix.xs4all.nl

Rune Espeseth

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Paul Hamer (qq...@oce.nl) wrote:

: Now, I reboot again with no startup-sequence, I type in 'SetPatch' and

: then again 'dir dh4:inbound'... the harddisk accesses a few times and
: then DH4: crashed... software failure in task DH4... weird eh?

Sounds to me like you're missing 68060.library and/or the replacement
68040.library. (412 bytes, I think)
Either that, or you may have some problems with softkicking the CS.
Personally, I've never got the softkicking part to work.
I tried the CyberMap software on Aminet, but it claims you need >=1Mb
FAST ram on the MAINboard. I have all my ram on the CS, and
I have some problems with fastram on the mainboard (broken socket?) so I
guess that is out of the question.

Well, hope you get it working. Good luck.
--
Regards,
Rune Espeseth, Cut'n Paste productions

-------------
CyberStorm060/50Mhz, CyberVision64/4Mb
Computer Information Science Student at Molde College, Norway

Christian Wasner

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

Paul Hamer (qq...@oce.nl) wrote about Weird problems with CyberStorm MK-I 060:
PH> Hi!

PH> I've recently extended my Amiga 4000 with a CyberStorm MKI 060 from a
PH> friend of mine, and I have narrowed-down my 'random-crash' problem to
PH> the following.

PH> I boot with no startup-sequence and type 'dir dh4:inbound' which is a
PH> directory that contains 143 files. The harddisk rattles and a few
PH> seconds later I get to see the directory. great... no troubles here...

PH> Now, I reboot again with no startup-sequence, I type in 'SetPatch' and
PH> then again 'dir dh4:inbound'... the harddisk accesses a few times and
PH> then DH4: crashed... software failure in task DH4... weird eh?

Check filesystem integrity of DH4, e.g. with DiskSalv. This has
nothing to do with hard errors. If nothing is found or if a following
repair doesn't sove the problem, make a backup, check if everything
went fine, reformat DH4 and restore data.

Greetings

--
Christian Wasner (CRISI/PHANTASM)
Christia...@hamburg.netsurf.de

Jose M. Arnesto

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996 16:18:54 GMT, Paul Hamer <qq...@oce.nl> wrote:

Hello!

It seems you are not the only one having strange problems with
a CyberStorm MKI 060. I have the same problem. I get random gurus when
the computer reads files from my IDE hard drive. But when I turn off
the data cache those gurus dissapear.

I have noticed that using 60ns mem those gurus happen less
frequently.... but they happen anyway.

BTW, all the libs are installed correctly.

-- /// | Jose M. Arnesto
/// | Keved / Capsule
\\\/// Amiga fanatic since 1986 | jarn...@redestb.es
\XX/ Capsule web page: http://www.redestb.es/personal/jarnesto

Jose M. Arnesto

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 03:10:40 GMT, jarn...@redestb.es (Jose M.
Arnesto) wrote:

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!! I also had problems with my MKI,
but yesterday, I downloaded the new version of the libs from
ftp.phase5.de and all problems dissapeared. It is a file called
68060user.lha in the pub/phase5/BETA/060 directory.

Georges Heinesch

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

In a message of 05-Nov-96 13:12:47, Rune Espeseth wrote:

>: Now, I reboot again with no startup-sequence, I type in 'SetPatch' and
>: then again 'dir dh4:inbound'... the harddisk accesses a few times and
>: then DH4: crashed... software failure in task DH4... weird eh?

> Sounds to me like you're missing 68060.library and/or the replacement
> 68040.library. (412 bytes, I think)
> Either that, or you may have some problems with softkicking the CS.
> Personally, I've never got the softkicking part to work.
> I tried the CyberMap software on Aminet, but it claims you need >=1Mb
> FAST ram on the MAINboard. I have all my ram on the CS, and

Is that right?

Does the CyberStorm in combination with CyberMap require FastRAM to be
installed on the motherboard?

TIA

--
Cu Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
geo...@ibm.net

... N1, TO/GA, 80 KTS, V1, Rotate, V2

Thomas STEINBICHLER

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Hi Georges!

>>: Now, I reboot again with no startup-sequence, I type in 'SetPatch' and
>>: then again 'dir dh4:inbound'... the harddisk accesses a few times and
>>: then DH4: crashed... software failure in task DH4... weird eh?

>> Sounds to me like you're missing 68060.library and/or the replacement
>> 68040.library. (412 bytes, I think)
>> Either that, or you may have some problems with softkicking the CS.
>> Personally, I've never got the softkicking part to work.
>> I tried the CyberMap software on Aminet, but it claims you need >=1Mb
>> FAST ram on the MAINboard. I have all my ram on the CS, and

>Is that right?

>Does the CyberStorm in combination with CyberMap require FastRAM to be
>installed on the motherboard?

No!! I have all my RAM on the Cyberstorm and it works well!
The only problem I recognized is, if it happens a bad error its quite
hard to reboot, sometimes only after kicking mapped ROM out of the
RAM.

IMHO its making more troubles then speed up the system, specially if you
want to use sometimes prepareemul

____,
HTH /ibb Member of D.E.R.
--
http://www.i-node.at/tibb/
with brandnew cinema page

Niels Knoop

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

Georges Heinesch (geo...@ibm.net) wrote:

> Is that right?
>
> Does the CyberStorm in combination with CyberMap require FastRAM to be
> installed on the motherboard?

Old Cyberstorm: Probably.
Cyberstorm MkII: No.

--
ni...@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de |

Georges Heinesch

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

In a message of 17-Jan-97 22:48:56, Thomas STEINBICHLER wrote:

>>>: Now, I reboot again with no startup-sequence, I type in 'SetPatch' and
>>>: then again 'dir dh4:inbound'... the harddisk accesses a few times and
>>>: then DH4: crashed... software failure in task DH4... weird eh?

>>> Sounds to me like you're missing 68060.library and/or the replacement
>>> 68040.library. (412 bytes, I think)
>>> Either that, or you may have some problems with softkicking the CS.
>>> Personally, I've never got the softkicking part to work.
>>> I tried the CyberMap software on Aminet, but it claims you need >=1Mb
>>> FAST ram on the MAINboard. I have all my ram on the CS, and

>>Is that right?

>>Does the CyberStorm in combination with CyberMap require FastRAM to be
>>installed on the motherboard?

> No!! I have all my RAM on the Cyberstorm and it works well!

> The only problem I recognized is, if it happens a bad error its quite
> hard to reboot, sometimes only after kicking mapped ROM out of the
> RAM.

In other words, the imaged ROM (coipied ROm to CS RAM) remains in the
SIMMs when warm booting. It has to be kicked out on purpose by some
kind of command, right?

> IMHO its making more troubles then speed up the system, specially if you
> want to use sometimes prepareemul

You mean mapping the ROM to the RAM isn't worth since it creates more
problems than speeding up the system?

--
Cu Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
geo...@ibm.net
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/2480
PGP 2.6.3i public key available on request and on public servers

... because water just isn't wet enough !

Niels Knoop

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

Georges Heinesch (geo...@ibm.net) wrote:

> In other words, the imaged ROM (coipied ROm to CS RAM) remains in the
> SIMMs when warm booting. It has to be kicked out on purpose by some
> kind of command, right?

*Sigh* Yes!

> You mean mapping the ROM to the RAM isn't worth since it creates more
> problems than speeding up the system?

I mean that it's worth it because it speeds up the system a big deal
and didn't cause me a single problem. Again, we are speaking about
the MkII board now which has its own mapping feature, it might be
a different issue on the MkI.

Thomas STEINBICHLER

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

Hallo Georges!

>>>Does the CyberStorm in combination with CyberMap require FastRAM to be
>>>installed on the motherboard?

>> No!! I have all my RAM on the Cyberstorm and it works well!
>> The only problem I recognized is, if it happens a bad error its quite
>> hard to reboot, sometimes only after kicking mapped ROM out of the
>> RAM.

>In other words, the imaged ROM (coipied ROm to CS RAM) remains in the

>SIMMs when warm booting. It has to be kicked out on purpose by some
>kind of command, right?

kicked out by holding down Ctrl-lAmiga-rAmiga for more the 10 seconds

the command: <C:CyberMap MK2 CPROM> at the begin of startup-sequence
checks if the ROM is mapped, first time you start your AMIGA it mapping
the ROM an resetting automatic.
If the mapped ROM is hurt by a System crash, CyberMap recognize the mapped
ROM and you are booting with an corrupt ROM, then an endless reboot will
cause.

>> IMHO its making more troubles then speed up the system, specially if you

>> want to use sometimes preparemul

>You mean mapping the ROM to the RAM isn't worth since it creates more
>problems than speeding up the system?

yes, IMHO

____,
BFN /ibb Member of D.E.R.
--
http://www.i-node.at/tibb/

Christian Wasner

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Georges Heinesch (geo...@ibm.net) wrote about Re: Weird problems with CyberStorm MK-I 060:

GH> You mean mapping the ROM to the RAM isn't worth since it creates more
GH> problems than speeding up the system?

Cybermap is needed for softkicking, i.e. loading the Kickstart file
from disk.

For mapping from ROM to RAM you can use MapRom which works fine on my
Mk1 Cyberstorm, not using memory from the A4000 motherboard.

Christian Wasner

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Christian Wasner (Christia...@hamburg.netsurf.de) wrote about Re: Weird problems with CyberStorm MK-I 060:
CW> Georges Heinesch (geo...@ibm.net) wrote about Re: Weird problems with Cyb

GH>> You mean mapping the ROM to the RAM isn't worth since it creates more
GH>> problems than speeding up the system?

CW> Cybermap is needed for softkicking, i.e. loading the Kickstart file
CW> from disk.

CW> For mapping from ROM to RAM you can use MapRom which works fine on my
CW> Mk1 Cyberstorm, not using memory from the A4000 motherboard.

Sorry, that was bullshit. I meant Rom2Fast.

Tom Kennedy

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

Thomas STEINBICHLER (ts...@i-node.at) wrote:
: IMHO its making more troubles then speed up the system, specially if you
: want to use sometimes prepareemul

Assuming that you're running shapeshifter, then you don't need
prepareemul if you use CyberMap. Just run "kickshifter" on your
disk-based kickstart image, and have CyberMap load that patched
kickstart.

I did this to patch my KS 3.1 diskimage. That way I only have to do 2
boots (on a cold boot) instead of 3 (if I ran from ROM, I'd have to
do the second boot anyway to run shapeshifter -- this kills two birds
with the proverbial one stone).

Tom Kennedy