SCSI-2 on A3000

Dan Cassaro

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Let me waste a little more bandwidth and apologize for the previous post!
I obviously forgot to turn off the 'post' option on "Post and Reply"

Dan Cassaro "Throw physics to the dogs!
dc...@freenet.free.shoes.u I'll have none of it!"
aka dc...@freenet.fsu.edu -Macbeth

Dan Cassaro

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
I just put a SCSI-2 500MB Fujitsu in my A3000. No problems at all. Most
SCSI-2 drives have a jumper setting to turn off/select SCSI-2, but I left mine
set for SCSI-2. Works just fine.
Hope this helps...

tem...@netins.net

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3u0lkg$n...@gw.PacBell.COM>, bkb...@ahimsa1.sdcrc.pacbell.com (Bruce Bush) writes:
> Hi All,
>
> I bought a Quantum Maverick 540 hard drive and found out after
> I got it home that it uses a SCSI-2 interface. After kicking my-
> self for doing a sloppy job of shopping and before I take it back
> to the dealer, I have a few questions.
>
> 1. Can this drive work on my A3000 with the standard SCSI controller?
>
> 2. Does Quantum (or anyone else) still make drives that work with
> the older (SCSI-1?) interface?
>
> 3. Are there any SCSI-2 controller cards available for Amigas?
>

> If these are covered in an FAQ somewhere, a pointer to that doc-
> ument would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bruce
>--
>| Bruce Bush - Unix System Software Support Pacific Bell // |
>| 7337 Trade St - Rm 1122 - San Diego (619) 695-4415 \X/ |
>| .... Can't slow down ....... Can't go back .......... Can't stand still ...|

YES! Scsi II HD's will work 100% fine on a3000 scsi I controller.. I have 7
hard drives and they are ALL SCSI II and I have used them for years on my
A3000. If you did get yourself a SCSI II Controller though the drives would
run faster on the a3000. I have 1 (4 gig) hd, 3 (2 gig hds), and some others.

THere are many scsi ii controllers for the Amiga, but you don't need one to
run scsi-ii drives.. Only get a scsi ii controller if you would like faster
hd access.

Should be no problems at all. Now if you get a SCSI III Hd, I don't know about
that.. hehe.

Bill Boyce

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3u0lkg$n...@gw.PacBell.COM>, bkb...@ahimsa1.sdcrc.pacbell.com says...

> Hi All,
>
> I bought a Quantum Maverick 540 hard drive and found out after
> I got it home that it uses a SCSI-2 interface. After kicking my-
> self for doing a sloppy job of shopping and before I take it back
> to the dealer, I have a few questions.
>
> 1. Can this drive work on my A3000 with the standard SCSI controller?
>
> 2. Does Quantum (or anyone else) still make drives that work with
> the older (SCSI-1?) interface?
>
> 3. Are there any SCSI-2 controller cards available for Amigas?

Don't panic! My A3000 is running two SCSI-II drives currently. So ...

1. Yes
2. ScsiII drives are backwardly compatable with Scsi (excluding SCSI II Wide)
3. Fastlane ZIII, and DKB 4091. Both are Zorro III cards, so will work in the
3000.

Bill Boyce

Bruce Bush

Greg Jung

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <009933E2...@netins.net>, tem...@netins.net says...

Bush) writes:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I bought a Quantum Maverick 540 hard drive and found out after
>> I got it home that it uses a SCSI-2 interface. After kicking my-
>
>YES! Scsi II HD's will work 100% fine on a3000 scsi I controller.. I have 7
>hard drives and they are ALL SCSI II and I have used them for years on my
>A3000. If you did get yourself a SCSI II Controller though the drives would
>run faster on the a3000. I have 1 (4 gig) hd, 3 (2 gig hds), and some others.

Ditto on the SCSI-II inside, SCSI-IIs do all scsi-1 stuff.

I'll take exception to the 100% however, with a
little whining, and maybe get some suggestions as to what is wrong:

Two working setups:
A3000/25 16mB70nS 2.04ROMs two fds,
two internal 170MB quantums: lps170s, els170
one external fujitsu, about 480 MB.
scsi chip 08

A3000/25 12mB 3.1ROMS HD
Quantum LP105s
Quantum LPS540s (scsi-2) internally mounted.
PicassoII
scsi chip 04 proto
Fujitsu drive didn't work with this system. I thought it was the
scsi chip.

Then of course I want the P-II and OS3.1 roms with the 16MB,
working LEDs and all that so I do a major parts swap, and the
system I'm having trouble with is the one with all the primo components:

16MB 3.1ROMs HD, Q-LPS540s/LP105s
(now unterminated, with a termination
on the external plug.)
PicassoII. scsi-08 chip. works fine like this.

Now, however, I'm trying to connect with the big Fujitsu without luck.
The drive worked without external termination, I've tried to bring it up
both with and without extra terminator, it won't go. I have synchronous
off, and host ID=7, no duplicate scsi IDs. The guy who used it before
probably set whatever toggles he could to supposedly speed it up, is there
something like the "Turboquantum" that might need to be unset?

Oh, and another clue to deepen the mystery or enlighten it, the drive
has mounted successfully with the 105 drive out, I'm fairly certain it will
again.

Frank J. Beckmann

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Bruce Bush (bkb...@ahimsa1.sdcrc.pacbell.com) wrote:
: Hi All,

:
: I bought a Quantum Maverick 540 hard drive and found out after
: I got it home that it uses a SCSI-2 interface. After kicking my-
: self for doing a sloppy job of shopping and before I take it back

: to the dealer, I have a few questions.
:
: 1. Can this drive work on my A3000 with the standard SCSI controller?

Yes.

: 2. Does Quantum (or anyone else) still make drives that work with
: the older (SCSI-1?) interface?

I belive they don't.

: 3. Are there any SCSI-2 controller cards available for Amigas?

A4091 or Fastlane.

SCSI-2 is backward compatible with SCSI-1.
--
Have a nice day Frank

Frank J. Beckmann |Internet: fr...@naga.nong.agala.harz.de
Wolfenbütteler Straße 1 |Big Files: Frank.J....@tu-clausthal.de
D-38667 Bad Harzburg |Datex-J: 0532280008-0001
Tel.: VFB+49-5322-80008Q | "Bitte sagen Sie Telefon..."

ChrisBig-KahunaRampson

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95

Just do it! It should work with no problem.

--

_/_/_/ _/ _/ Chris "Big Kahuna" Rampson
_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ ram...@ave050.ve.ford.com

Iain Bennett

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
So what do you do to install the new drive? Just get a converter?

Also, which chip is the SCSI chip on the A3000?

`N##0" Iain Bennett Computer Science 3
j##F Carleton University School of Computer Science
### University of East Anglia School of Information Systems
j##F "Amigans are like the Marine Corp..."
0## ug94...@omega.scs.carleton.ca
##F coop...@bnr.ca http://www.mae.carleton.ca/~ibennett
_d##L_ Northern Telecom - Multimedia Networks - http://www.nortel.com
"""""" Feedback Communications - WebSTATE - http://www.feedback.com/808

Mika Kortelainen

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95

In article <3u3auc$9...@bcrkh13.bnr.ca> Iain Bennett <coop...@bnr.ca> writes:
> So what do you do to install the new drive? Just get a converter?

No, just plug it in. SCSI II drives use identical connectors to SCSI I
drives. At least those two SCSI II drives I have...

Mika Kortelainen

Joanne Dow

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <3u3auc$9...@bcrkh13.bnr.ca>, Iain Bennett <coop...@bnr.ca> wrote:
>So what do you do to install the new drive? Just get a converter?

Unless you have mucked around inside you A3000 all you should have to do for an
external installation is get a suitable (typically 1/2" or larger diameter) SCSI
cable with ends that match the A3000 and the external drive box. Assure yourself
that the external drive is terminated, usually with an external SCSI terminator,
set the SCSI ID switches to give a unique ID on the bus, and go. There is *NO*
magic you have to commit or anything. Just plug and go.

For an internal installation you're best off if you get a DB25 size SCSI
terminator for the back of the A3000. Pull the existing drive so you can remove
its terminators, unless you remount it as the end drive on the internal bus. If
the new drive will be the last drive on the internal bus make sure it has
terminators installed otherwise pull them. Set the new drive's jumpers to give
it a unique SCSI-ID on your bus. Then install the internal drive wherever there
is room for it inside. (Mount securely, please. I hate it when people bi**h
about a drive coming loose in a move and breaking the daughterboard or something
worse.) Install a power cable, a short SCSI extension from the existing cable to
the new drive. (Too long a cable makes a mess inside and makes it hard to
reassemble the beastie.) Then reassemble things without screwing it all
together. At this time you should have an external terminator on the DB-25
connector and one terminator inside on the drive at the end of the internal
cables. (Take a look at the motherboard while you have the drive tray out.
There should not be terminators on it.) Power up and go.

In either case HDToolBox or RDPrep should find the drive. Do NOT try to hard
format the drive. This is a PClownism that is not needed on new SCSI drives for
the Amiga. Simply partition, reboot to mount the drives, AmigaDOS format the
partitions as needed, and enjoy.

I repeat - there is no magic for connecting SCSI-II drives to the A3000.

1) SCSI-II is a superset of SCSI-I and is designed to be backwards compatible.

2) Drives accuse themselves of being SCSI-II if they honor the least bit of the
SCSI-II specs. (This can be as simple as honoring the SCSI-II common command set
rather than the markedly more limited SCSI-I command set. For all functions
you'll be doing there's no particular difference that is not accounted for.)

3) The A3000 SCSI port understands many of the SCSI-II extensions itself.

>Also, which chip is the SCSI chip on the A3000?
>
> `N##0" Iain Bennett Computer Science 3
> j##F Carleton University School of Computer Science
> ### University of East Anglia School of Information Systems
> j##F "Amigans are like the Marine Corp..."
> 0## ug94...@omega.scs.carleton.ca
> ##F coop...@bnr.ca http://www.mae.carleton.ca/~ibennett
>_d##L_ Northern Telecom - Multimedia Networks - http://www.nortel.com
>"""""" Feedback Communications - WebSTATE - http://www.feedback.com/808

{^_^} Joanne Dow, Amiga Exchange Editor on BIX
jd...@bix.com The Wizardess

Robert Dick

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
jd...@BIX.com (Joanne Dow) writes:

>Unless you have mucked around inside you A3000 all you should have to do for an
>external installation is get a suitable (typically 1/2" or larger diameter) SCSI
>cable with ends that match the A3000 and the external drive box. Assure yourself

Well, there is an exception to this rule. Early A3000s had passive terminators
installed on the controller and internal drive. To attach an external drive
to these machines it is necessary to remove the terminator packs on the
controller and terminate at the external device. Your best bet is to open
the A3000 box and see which bus configuration you currently have.

-Robert Dick (dic...@wkcn.dorm.clarkson.edu)-

Klaus_Burkert%2:2437_901.88@gh_uucp.insider.sub.de

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <MSGID_2=3A2490=2F1370.98...@fidonet.org>
<2:2490/1370.98@fidonet> wrote:

> 3. Fastlane ZIII, and DKB 4091. Both are Zorro III cards, so will work in
the
> 3000.

But only if you have a Rev-11 Buster installed...

Ciao, Klaus.
---
* Origin: Lonly Platform #88 (2:2437/901.88)

John Lee

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
In article <3u1b89$m...@ra.nrl.navy.mil>,
Greg Jung <ju...@osse.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
[...]

> Now, however, I'm trying to connect with the big Fujitsu without luck.
> The drive worked without external termination, I've tried to bring it up
>both with and without extra terminator, it won't go. I have synchronous
>off, and host ID=7, no duplicate scsi IDs. The guy who used it before
>probably set whatever toggles he could to supposedly speed it up, is there
>something like the "Turboquantum" that might need to be unset?

So you've set the BattRAM so that the A3000 doesn't initiate
synchronous transfers, right? Did you also disable synchronous
requests on the drive? My 1Gb Fujitsu has a DIP switch to enable or
disable Synchronous Requests, and that jumper must be set to disable
synchronous requests.

The crew faces deadly GURUs! Next time on AmigaDOS: The Next Generation.
+--------+ John Lee
| HUGHES |
+--------+ Internet: jh...@hac2arpa.hac.com
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

Marcel Offermans

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95
Hello Bruce,

> I bought a Quantum Maverick 540 hard drive and found out after I got it
> home that it uses a SCSI-2 interface. After kicking my- self for doing a
> sloppy job of shopping and before I take it back to the dealer, I have a
> few questions.

You don't have to bring it back. I use the Quantum Maverick 540 SCSI hard
drive in my A3000T with the original SCSI interface. It works perfectly.

Greetings, Marcel

Joanne Dow

Jul 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/24/95
In article <5007...@wbmt41.wbmt.tudelft.nl>,

For that matter the Quantum Grand Prix Loren just bought works like a champ.
It's only problems are a typical 7200RPM whine amd it rattles on seeks like a
Micropolis drive.

Randell Jesup

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95
jd...@BIX.com (Joanne Dow) wrote:
>> > I bought a Quantum Maverick 540 hard drive and found out after I got it
>> > home that it uses a SCSI-2 interface. After kicking my- self for doing a
>> > sloppy job of shopping and before I take it back to the dealer, I have a
>> > few questions.
>>
>>You don't have to bring it back. I use the Quantum Maverick 540 SCSI hard
>>drive in my A3000T with the original SCSI interface. It works perfectly.
>
>For that matter the Quantum Grand Prix Loren just bought works like a champ.
>It's only problems are a typical 7200RPM whine amd it rattles on seeks like a
>Micropolis drive.

Joanne knows this, but for everyone else:

The A3000 SCSI driver/HW __IS__ SCSI-2!

Now, note that SCSI-2 means that it supports the changes to the
SCSI command/message protocols. SCSI-2 doesn't mean that it supports SCSI-FAST
(SCSI-2 >5 MB/s synchronous modes).

It's not only SCSI-2, it's one of the more complete implementations
around, or was. Maxtor used to use A3000's in their engineering dept. to
test _their_ SCSI implementations (which was why I had some pre-production
Magic's with me at the last Devcon in Orlando - though one of them was never
really healthy after the return trip in my backpack. The other is still
my primary storage/tools drive.)

The A4091/A4000T SCSI implementation was even more complete, including
handling messages I've never seen ANY device generate, like the change current
offset message (the correct name escapes me). It also does Tagged Queuing
on the A4000T if turned on in Battmem, and on the A4091 if the drive starts
the negotiation (we ran out of dip switches, and at the time few drives tried
to support it, and 2 of the 3 I found locked up/failed (Maxtor was ok, Seagate
and Toshiba puked)).

I had planned to support target mode (for SCSI networking) and CAM (I
helped rewrite the target-mode portion of CAM for the SCSI committee),
but there wasn't time. The XPT and a fake SIM for testing, and a CAMDirect
test program were basically done. If I had gotten it done, 3rd parties would
have only had to implement SIMs for their hardware - all the Amiga driver
portions, RDB-handling, retry code, etc would have come C=. Oh well.

The real driving force behind this was SCSI networking. 10MB/s (not
10Mb/s) across the desktop.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randel...@scala.com