*** PCMCIA Spec wanted ***

Ho Leung Kuen

Jan 26, 1994, 5:47:33 AM1/26/94
Hi, everybody,
Does anyone know where can I find the PCMCIA specification?
Either from ftp site or any means...

Thanks in advance to everyone who spend time to see this :)

Antony Ho.
(please email me at: lk...@hkueee.hku.hk for any suggestion)

Rainer 'Angstroem' Buchty

Jan 26, 1994, 10:49:57 AM1/26/94

I'd be interested in this, too.

Thanks in advance,
Rainer

Rainer "Angstroem" Buchty buc...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de

Jose Elias

Jan 27, 1994, 4:14:18 AM1/27/94
Ho Leung Kuen (h882...@hkuxb.hku.hk) wrote:
: Hi, everybody,

I suggest you post to one of the IBM (especially Laptop) newsgroups,
since they use the standard a lot (and yes, you CAN use all the ibm
pcmcia stuff on the amiga, we just need someone to write drivers for
them!!!)

.---'\/\/\/`--- - - - - - - - - - - ---'\/\/\/`---.
| hac...@acs.bu.edu |
`----------[ Imagination is more important than knowledge... ]----------'

Christopher Johnson

Jan 27, 1994, 9:07:27 PM1/27/94
buc...@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Rainer 'Angstroem' Buchty) writes:

>In article <CK8Gn...@hkuxb.hku.hk>, h882...@hkuxb.hku.hk (Ho Leung Kuen) writes:
>|> Hi, everybody,
>|> Does anyone know where can I find the PCMCIA specification?
>|> Either from ftp site or any means...
>|>
>|> Thanks in advance to everyone who spend time to see this :)
>|>
>|> Antony Ho.
>|> (please email me at: lk...@hkueee.hku.hk for any suggestion)

>I'd be interested in this, too.

I'm just doing an Archie for pcmcia....
It's taking ages....
I found a site a while back, but what I found is quite out of date by now (and lost in my disk collection)
Lets see if it has finished yet.. Nope... I can't continue on, or I'll lose this article...

Oh, well, it's taken so long, I've found the article.

WARNING: this is quite long, it took 14mins to upload at 2400baud (I went and had breakfast)

I suggest you save this, compress it, then download it.

See what I mean about the age
--------------vvvv-vv-vv

Last revision 1993.08.04

PCMCIA machine and card compatibility.

This information is not official, and may very well be
inaccurate (or even outright wrong). Feel free to send
corrections or additions. Use at your own risk.

The latest version of this file is available via anonymous ftp on the
Internet as csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Palmtop/pcmcia.compatibility

These files are also available via gopher from the same host using the
path "UWM Information/ Computing Services Division/ Csd4 Public FTP
Archive/ Portables/".

More information on cards and machines is appreciated. Although the
machines listed here are primarly palmtops, laptops and other machines
are welcome.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

Apple Newton MessagePad
Type II thickness, PCMCIA Release 2.0
SRAM
Sparcom has data loss
flash
SunDisk, no driver yet
pager

Fujitsu Poqet PC
Type I thickness, predates PCMCIA Release 1.0
SRAM
3 volt cards needed, sold by Fujitsu Personal Systems,
EXP, and FDK. Uses "pseudo-floppy" format that may not
be readable in some machines. HP-95LX known to
read/write and format pseudo-floppy format.
Flash
read only, special programming voltages needed provided
by special Databook PCMCIA drive.
Note
The Poqet PC uses a pseudo-floppy format filesystem.
It cannot read the standard CIS format used by
other systems. Some machines such as the HP-95LX
automatically detect and use either format.

HP-95LX
PCMCIA 1.0, Type II
SRAM
limited to 2MB, special drivers needed for 4MB
Flash
12 volt read only, limited to 2MB
5 volt Sundisk cards and special drivers needed for
read/write/erase
modem
special card from New Media
GPS

HP-100LX
PCMCIA 2.0, Type II
SRAM
no known problems
flash
12 volt or 5 volt, compatible with HP-95LX SunDisk cards.
Intel cards known to have problems
PCMCIA release 2.0
at least some modems work
network adapters draw too much power

HP OmniBook 300
PCMCIA 2.0, Type II and Type II
Flash
12 volt or 5 volt, compatible with HP-95LX SunDisk cards.
hard drives
Western Digital Caviar Ultralite (drive used in standard
42MB systems)

Memorex Commuter Computer
PCMCIA 1.0

Memorex Commuter Computer II
PCMCIA 2.0, Type II

Olivetti Quaderno
PCMCIA 1.0, Type II
SRAM
no known problems
flash
12 volt read/write/erase. SunDisk card drivers not available
modem
special card from New Media

Olivetti Quaderno33
PCMCIA 2.0, Type II

Sharp PC-3x000
PCMCIA 1.0, Type II
SRAM
no known problems. Sharp 512KB SRAM known to work on HP-95LX
and Zeos.
flash
12 volt read only
5 volt Sundisk read/write/erase, limited to certain sizes

Zeos PPC, Mitsuba Pocket PC
PCMCIA 1.0, Type I
SRAM
certain BIOS versions needed
flash
read only
modem
special card from New Media
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony
Last revision 1993.08.18

PCMCIA products and manufactures.

PCMCIA sources, vendors, etc can be found in the pcmcia.sources file.

The latest version of this file is available via anonymous ftp on the
Internet as: csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables/pcmcia.devices.

Usenet postings concerning PCMCIA including prices are archived in the
pcmcia.news file in the same directory.

These files are also available via gopher from the same host using the
path "UWM Information/ Computing Services Division/ Csd4 Public FTP
Archive/ Portables/".

This information is in no particular order. I am but a customer of
some of these companies. This information is not guaranteed, and may
be outright wrong. Use at your own risk. Please send additions or
corrections.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

Manufacturers
-------------
drives, chip sets, distribute cards
Databook
716-889-4204

PCMCIA chip set
Cirrus Logic
510-623-8300

v.32bis modem, laptop
AST
800-876-4AST

Lightpack 2400+ modem
Dell

v.32bis fax modem
Megahertz

SRAM, DRAM
Simple Technology
800-367-7330

PCMCIA v.32bis, fax modem, wireless celluar, wireless packet
AT&T Paradyne
8545 126th Ave North
Largo FL 34649-2826
800-482-3333
813-530-2000

fax modem
Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC)
800-527-8677

SRAM, flash, EEPROM, OTP, drives, chip sets
Neutek International Corp.
824 South Mill Avenue, Suite 301
Tempe, AZ 85281, USA
602-731-7211
602-731-7212 fax

DublHdr 2 slot PCMCIA slot bus for HP-95LX
Interloop, Inc
706 Charcot Avenue
San Jose CA 95131
408-922-0520
408-922-0545 fax

SRAM cards, card drives
Adtron Corporation
128 West Boxelder Place, Suite 102
Chandler, AZ 85224
602-926-9324
602-926-9359 fax

SRAM, 5 volt flash, software, NiMH batteries
ACE Technologies, Inc.
2880 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95134
408-428-9722
408-428-9721 fax

SRAM, DRAM, fax modems
EXP Computer, Inc.
223 Michael Drive
Syosset, New York 11791
516-496-3703
516-496-2914 fax

3 volt SRAM, flash, software ROM cards, palmtops, pentops
Fujitsu Personal Systems
(was POQET Computer Corp.)
650 North Mary Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086-9917
408-764-9400

SRAM 3v and 5v, modem, software, HP dealer
Active Data
4642 East Chapman, Suite 304
Orange CA 92669 USA
800-223-0503
714-997-7718
714-997-0238 fax

SRAM, Type I fax modem, flash, OTP ROM, ethernet, SCSI-2, MPC sound/audio
New Media Corporation
Irvine Spectrum
15375 Barranca Pkwy, Building B-101
Irvine, CA 92718
800-453-0550
714-453-0100
714-453-0114 fax
714-453-0214 bbs

SRAM, Flash, OTP/mask ROM, software
Sparcom Corporation
897 NW Grant Avenue
Corvallis, OR 97330
503-757-8416 phone
503-753-7821 fax
sup...@sparcom.com (Internet)
75320,2440 (Compuserve)

Type I ethernet, token ring
Xircom
26025 Mureau Road
Calabasas CA 91302
818-878-7600
818-878-7630 fax

5 volt and 12 volt flash memory for HP, Sharp, etc
SunDisk Corporation
3270 Jay Street
Santa Clara, CA 95054
800-535-2943
408-562-0500
408-980-8607 fax

PCMCIA v.32bis fax modem, ethernet lan
Intel Corporation
Entry Level Products Group
1900 Praire City Rd
Folsum, CA 95630
800-548-4725

flash
AMD
800-222-9323

SRAM, card drives, modems
Intel Corporation
3065 Bowers Avenue
Santa Clar, CA 95051
800-548-4725
800-525-3019 fax back service

PCMCIA modems
Apex Data Inc.

PCMCIA hard drives
MiniStor Peripherals Corp.
2801 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95134
408-943-0165
408-434-0784 fax

Kittyhawk Personal Storage Module
Hewlett-Packard, Direct Marketing Organization
PO Box 58059
MS511l-SJ
Santa Clara, CA 95051
800-637-7740
408-345-8398

Kittyhawk OEM
Anthem
800-359-3502

Kittyhawk OEM
Arrow
800-955-9632

hard drives, flash
Oki Semiconductor
Sunnyvale, CA
408-720-1900

ethernet, token ring, 3270
IBM
800-IBM-CALL xS21

105MB hard drive
IBM
800-772-2227

SuperFax, v.32bis fax modem
Supra

RediCard, ethernet, modem, laptop modems, multiplexers
Data Race
11550 IH 10 Westy
San Antonio, TX 78230
800-749-7223
210-558-1900
210-558-1929 fax

PCMCIA ethernet lan
National Semiconductor
29000 Semiconductor Dr.
Santa Clara, CA 95052
408-721-5000

PCMCIA network components and modules
Pulse Engineering
12220 World Trade Drive
San Diego CA 92128
619-674-8215
619-674-8262

PCMCIA ethernet lan, v.32bis modem
Datatrek Corp
Elkhart, IN

PCMCIA fax v.32 wireless modem
Complus Inc
4151 Business Center Dr.
Fremont CA 94538
510-623-1000

PCMCIA data/fax modem
TDK Systems Development Center
Nevada City, CA

PCMCIA ethernet token ring 3270
IBM Corp. Networking Systems Division
Raleigh, NC

MicroLink, 3270 emulator
Capstone Technology
47354 Fremont Blvd.
510-438-3500
510-651-7035 fax

PCMCIA ethernet, wireless LAN, modems, serial port, GPS
Socket Communications
2501 Technology Drive
Hayward, CA 94545
800-552-3300
510-670-0300
510-670-0333 fax

PCMCIA pager
Motorola, Inc.
Paging & Wireless Data Group
1500 N.W. 22nd Avenue
Boynton Beach, FL 33426
407-364-2000

Proxim Inc. pcmcia, etc RangeLAN radio network
295 North Bernardo Avenue
Mountain View, CA 94043
800-229-1630
415-960-1630
415-964-5181

Fury Card modem, v.32bis, voice support
Dr. Neuhaus
European Mikrograf
1145 Pinehurst Drive
Aptos, CA 95003
408-685-0928

Business Card PCMCIA fax modem
OmniTel, Inc.
47281 Bayside Pkwy.
Fremont, CA 94538
510-490-2202

Smart One PCMCIA fax modem
Best Data Products, Inc.
9304 Deering Ave.
Chatsworth, CA 91311
818-773-9600

NewsCard PCMCIA pager
Motorola Paging and Wireless Data Group
407-364-2000

SRAM
Epson
800-922-8911
310-782-0700

SmartExchange modems
Smart Modular Technologies
45531 Northport Loop West
Fremont, CA 94538
800-536-1231
510-623-1231
510-623-1434 fax

SCSI Platinum Access Card, SCSI-2, based on 25 MHz 53C406
American Megatrends Inc (AMI)
6145F Northbelt Parkway
Norcross, GA 30071
404-263-8181

PCMCIA ethernet
Linksys
800-326-7114
714-261-1288

pocket modem, v.32bis fa
General DataComm
203-574-1118

SCSI PCMCIA drive
MCDis-1
Gespac
Mesa, AZ
602-962-5559

PCMCIA memory
Epson
800-922-8911
310-782-0700

AMS, pcmcia type 3
800-886-2671

pcmcia hard drives
Au63-P, 63mb $399, Au126-P $499
Aura Asscociates
408-252-2872

CP-1044, 42mb $350, hard drive
Conner Peripherals World Headquarters
3081 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95134
800-426-6637
408-456-4500

PocketFile 42, $495, 85 $695 (type 4), hard drive
Integral Peripherals
303-449-8009

MXL-105-III, $499, hard drive
Maxtor
800-462-9867
408-432-1700

42P $449, 65P $489 (type4), hard drive
MiniStor
408-943-0165

Caviar Ultralight, CU140, 42mb $299, hard drive
Western Digital
800-832-4778
714-932-4900

ethernet
AMI
800-828-9264
800-892-6692
404-263-8181
404-263-9381 fax
404-246-8787 fax back

ethernet
AMT
714-375-0306

ethernet
Compex
714-630-7302

ethernet, modem
DataTrek
219-522-8000

pcmcia and parallel port
Gateway Communications
800-367-6555
714-553-1555
714-553-1616 fax

token ring, ethernet
IBM
800-426-3333
914-765-1900

ethernet, token ring
MagicRAM
213-413-9999

token, ether
Thomas-Conrad
800-332-8683
512-836-1935

modems
AMT
714-3750306

modem
Angia Communications
800-877-9159
801-371-0488

modem
Centenial
800-535-3668
508-670-0646

modem
Complus
510-623-1000

modem
Computer Products Plus
800-274-4277
714-847-1799

modem
E-Tech Research
800-328-5538
408-730-1388

modem
Dr. Neuhaus Mikroelectronik (MicroGraf)
714-557-8305

modem
GVC Technologies
800-289-4821
201-579-3630

modem
Hayes
404-441-1617

modem
Intel
800-628-8686

MagicRAM

Toucan, subnotebook, modem
Omron Office Automation Products
800-362-4411
408-727-1444

PCMCIA drives
Curtis
St. Paul, MN
612-631-9512

modems
U.S. Robotics
8100 N. McCormick Blvd.
Skokie IL 60076
800-342-5877
708-982-5001
708-982-5235 fax

PCMCIA testing and certification
IBM Boca Raton Technical Services
Entry Systems Technology Division
IBM
Boca Raton, FL

CardPro, PCMCIA drive Type I, II MS-Flash File System
Data I/O
Redmond, WA
206-881-6444

modem, fax, network adapters
Megahertz
800-527-8677

Known manufacturers, but no contact information:
FDK (sold by Fujitsu Personal Systems)
Hewlett-Packard (available from EduCALC)
Kaga (available from Tote-a-Lap and others)
Mitsubishi
Seagate hard drives

Companies with products in development:
D-Link Systems ethernet
IQ Technologies
Lexmark notebooks

SkyTel SkyCard pager
Seagate hard drives
Solectek wireless modem? LAN?
Thomas-Conrad ethernet
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony
Last revision 1993.07.29

[...]

Type I fax modem, SRAM, Flash, OTP ROM, ethernet, SCSI-2
[...]

PCMCIA ethernet, wireless LAN, modems, GPS
[...]

Data I/O Corp. PCMCIA parallel port drive

Companies with products in development:
D-Link Systems ethernet
IQ Technologies
Lexmark notebooks
Megahertz modem, fax, network adapters
SkyTel SkyCard pager
Seagate hard drives
Solectek wireless modem? LAN?
Thomas-Conrad ethernet
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony
Last revision 1993.08.01

PCMCIA machines

The latest version of this file is available via anonymous ftp on the
Internet as: csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables/pcmcia.machines

Usenet postings concerning PCMCIA including prices are archived in the
pcmcia.news file in the same directory.

This information is in no particular order. I am but a customer of
some of these companies. This information is not guaranteed, and may
be outright wrong. Use at your own risk. Please send additions or
corrections.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

Companies with PCMCIA slot equiped machines:

486, 386 notebook, pen pads
NEC Technologies Inc.
1414 Massachusetts Ave.
Boxborough, MA 01719
800-388-8888
508-264-8000
800-366-0476 fax

notebooks: PC-6785, PC-6891;palmtops
Sharp
Sharp Plaza
Mahwah, NJ 07430-2135
201-529-8200

Z-Lite Model 60,4 pounds 2x V2 Type II ethernet, modems
Zenith Data Systems
2150 East Lake Cook Rd.
Buffalo Grove IL 60089
800-553-0331
800-472-7211 fax

NC-100 notebook computer
Amstrad
44-277-228888
44-277-211350 fax

PowerExec notebook
AST
800-876-4AST

penpad EHT-20
Epson
310-787-6300
310-782-5350 fax

GRiDPad penpad, Convertible
GRiD Systems Corp.
47211 Lakeview Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94537
800-934-GRiD
510-656-4700

Palmtop 386, 3.5lb pen machine
Hansen Information Technologies
Sacramento CA
916-921-0883

DTR-1, pen and keyboard palmtop
Dauphin Technology, Inc.
377 E. Butterfield Rd, Suite 900
Lombard, IL 60148
800-782-7922
708-971-3400
708-971-8443 fax

WinBook notebook
Micro Electronics, a division of MEI/Micro Center, Inc
1160 Steelwood Rd
Columbia, OH 43212
800-468-0366
800-448-0308 fax

Alt-sx25 sub-notebook, Alt-Pen penpad
Altura
719-685-5502

Keynote Force, notebook
Keydata
800-486-4800

SRAM, palmtop
Zeos
800-423-5891

486 notebooks
Associates Mega Sub-Systems (AMS)
800-886-2671

subnotebook
Altima
800-356-9990

Toucan, subnotebook
Omron

credit card sized single board computer
DSP Designs International
70 Flagship Drive
N. Andover, MA 01845
800-662-8904
508-975-4392
508-689-8351 fax

notebooks: T-3300SL, T-4400, T-4500C, T4600, notepad T100X
Toshiba
800-457-7777

HP-95LX HP-100LX palmtop, OmniBook 300 subnotebook
Hewlett-Packard

IBM notebook

penpad, 3150 notebook
NCR

Poqet PC palmtop, PoqetPad pentop
Fujitsu

CD-TV, Amiga 600, 1200, 4000
Commodore

320sli subnotebook
Dell

Digital

palmtop, SRAM
Mitsuba Corporation
1925 Wright Avenue
La Verne, CA 91750
800-MITSUBA
909-392-2000
909-392-2021 fax

R10, R20 palmtops
Casio

EO 440, 880, pen personal communicators
EO Inc.
800A Middle Field Rd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
800-458-0880
415-903-8100
415-903-8190 fax

Toucan subnotebook,C&T,2MB RAM,40MB ROM,2xPCMCIA Type II,DR-DOS,$899,1.9lb,fax
Omron
408-727-1444

Handtop Computer
Handtop Computers International
23, Allee Des Vendanges
France-77325 Croissy Beaubourg
Marne-La-Vallee Cedex 02
33 (1) 60.17.70.94
33 (1) 60.17.70.77 fax
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony
MS-DOS PCMCIA Palmtop Computers

Name CPU MHz W x D x H Weight Display RAM Slots Cost Battery
(inches) (pounds) US$ hours
Abstract R&D F8680 14 8.6 4.3 1.1 1.0 CGA 1/2MB 1 600 50
FMRcard 80286 VGA 2 ??? ???
HP-95LX NEC V20 5.37 6.3 3.4 1.0, 0.68 40x16& 512/1MB 1 $400 50?
Memorex 80C88 7.16 9.33 4.33 1.16, 1.28 CGA? 640KB 1% $600 ???
Poqet PC 80C88 7 8.8 4.3 1.0, 1.2 CGA 512KB 2* $800 100
Sharp PC-3?00 80C88 10 8.8 4.4 1.0, 1.23 CGA 1/2MB 2 869 ???
Zeos NEC V30 7.15 9.6 4.5 1.0, 1.20 CGA 1MB 2% $600 10/30

* Poqet PC slots are not totally PCMCIA 1.0 compatible, ask the
card manufacturer about Poqet PC compatability.
& the HP-95LX simulates a virtual MDA and has 240x128 proprietary graphics.
% reported to be PCMCIA 2.0

All machines are PCMCIA 1.0 unless otherwise noted, probably Type I cavities.
Some machines have Digital Research's DR-DOS instead of MS-DOS.
Prices are more or less accurate as of 92/08/27.
No LCD has a backlight.

Abstract R&D 510-253-9588
Fujitsu (Poqet) 408-764-9400
Hewlett-Packard 800-443-1254 208-344-4809 fax back service
Memorex 800-CALL-MRX US, 800-268-9886 Canada
Sharp 800-BE-SHARP also available from EduCALC 800-677-7001
Arkon (416)593-6502 Toronto PC-3100
Zeos 800-423-5891

More detailed information can be found in the relevant *.news files at
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables. Please send corrections and additions
to ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu.
Last Revision 1992.12.15

PCMCIA palmtops, sub-notebooks, and other machines

This file is currently under construction. see pcmcia.machines for
the old format. Comments are welcome.

The latest version of this file is available via anonymous ftp on the
Internet as: csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Palmtop/pcmcia.machines.new

This information is in no particular order. I am but a customer of
some of these companies. This information is not guaranteed, and may
be outright wrong. Use at your own risk. Please send additions or
corrections.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

Model: CPU: Screen:
RAM min: Max: Slots: Version: Type: Max Card Size:
Battery life: Batteries: Ports:
WxDxH: inches mm Weight: oz, kg
Price:
Notes:

ABC Computer (USA) Corp.
2531 237th Street, Suite 122
Torrance CA 90505
800-336-2280
310-325-4005
310-325-6389 fax

Model: BICOM B260i CPU: AMD "Longhorn" (286 compatible?)
Screen: 640x400 (double scan CGA, AT&T compatible)
RAM Min: 2MB Max: 16MB
Slots: 1 Version: 2.0 Type: Type II Max Card Size:
Ports: serial, parallel, floppy
Battery life: 4 hours Batteries: 5xAA, NiCD or NiMH
WxDxH: 8.78x6.36x1.22 inches mm Weight: 2.2 lbs, 1 kg
Software: DR-DOS 6.0, PIM, file transfer
Price: US $1250
Notes: AC adapter

Abstract R&D 510-253-9588
Model: LC8600 CPU: F8680 14 MHz Screen: CGA
RAM min: 1MB Max: 2MB Slots: 1 Version: Type:
Battery life: 50 hours Batteries: 3 x AA Ports: serial, parallel
WxDxH: 8.6 4.3 1.1 inches 218 109 28 mm Weight: 12 oz, 0.34 kg
Price: $600
Notes: DIP EPROM socket for VARs

Fujitsu Japan
Model: FM-RCard CPU: 80286 Screen: doublescan CGA
RAM Min: Max: Slots: 2 Version: Type: Max Card Size
Battery life: Batteries: Ports:
WxDxH: inches mm Weight: oz, kg
Price:
Notes: not an MS-DOS machine

Hewlett-Packard 800-443-1254 208-344-4809 fax back service
Model: HP-95LX CPU: NEC V20 5.37 MHz Screen: MDA (see note)
RAM min: 512 Max: 1MB Slots: 1 Version: 1 Type: I Max Card Size: 2MB
Battery life: Batteries: 2xAA, CR2032 Ports: 3 wire serial, IR
WxDxH: 6.3 3.4 1.0 inches 160 86.4 25.4 mm Weight: 11 oz, 312 g
Price: 512KB $400, 1MB $570
Notes: virtual MDA on real 40x16, 240x128 proprietary graphics, password protection
Notes: RAM is divided between system RAM and RAM disk, adjustable on reboot

Memorex 800-CALL-MRX US, 800-268-9886 Canada
Model: Commuter Computer Model 1 CPU: 80C88 Screen: CGA
RAM min: 640KB Max: Slots: 1 Version: 1 Type: Max Card Size:
Battery life: Batteries: Ports: serial, parallel
WxDxH: 9.33 4.33 1.16 inches 240 110 30 mm Weight: 1.28 lb, 580g
Price: $650
Notes: DR-DOS 5.0, Travelling Software PIM software

Model: Commuter Computer Model 2 CPU: 80C88 Screen: CGA
RAM min: 1MB Max: Slots: 1 Version: 2 Type: Max Card Size:
Battery life: Batteries: Ports: serial, parallel
WxDxH: 9.33 4.33 1.16 inches 240 110 30 mm Weight: 1.28 lb, 580g
Price: $850
Notes: DR-DOS 6.0

Model: CPU: Screen:
RAM min: Max: Slots: Version: Type: Max Card Size:
Battery life: Batteries: Ports:
WxDxH: inches mm Weight: oz, kg
Price:
Notes:

Model: Poqet PC CPU: 8088 7MHz Screen: CGA
RAM min: 512KB Max: Slots: 1 Version: 2 Type: 1 Max Card Size:
Battery life: 100 hours Batteries: 2xAA Ports: proprietary connector
WxDxH: 8.8 4.3 1.0 inches mm Weight: 1.2 lb kg
Price: US$650
Notes: serial, parallel, and 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive available for expansion port
Notes: Poqet PC Prime has 640KB
Notes: AC adapter not available from manufacturer
Notes: machine must have 3 volt cards for proper operation

Model: Sharp PC-3000 CPU: 80C88 Screen: CGA
RAM min: 1MB Max: Slots: 2 Version: 1 Type: Max Card Size:
Battery life: 15-30 hours Batteries: 3xAA Ports: serial, parallel, power
WxDxH: 8.8 4.4 1.0 inches mm Weight: 1.23 lb kg
Price: $500
Notes: PC-3100 has 2MB
Notes: both models have been discontinued
Notes: password protection

Name CPU MHz W x D x H Weight Display RAM Slots Cost Battery
(inches) (pounds) US$ hours
Zeos NEC V30 7.15 9.6 4.5 1.0, 1.20 CGA 1MB 2% $600 10/30
384KB internal RAM drive, fixed in size

* Poqet PC slots are not totally PCMCIA 1.0 compatible, ask the
card manufacturer about Poqet PC compatability.
% reported to be PCMCIA 2.0

Prices are more or less accurate as of 92/08/27.
No LCD has a backlight.

Fujitsu (Poqet) 408-764-9400
Sharp 800-BE-SHARP also available from EduCALC 800-677-7001
Arkon (416)593-6502 Toronto PC-3100
Zeos 800-423-5891 in...@zeos.com

Sharp
Sharp Plaza
Mahwah NJ 07430
800-237-4277

More detailed information can be found in the relevant *.news files at
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Palmtop. Please send corrections and additions
to ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu.

Amstrad Notepad NC100
PCMCIA 2.0 (memory only)
64kb RAM, 80x8 display
basic, PIM, terminal
$300, 170 (pounds sterling)
169 Kings Rd
Brentwood
Essex CM14 14ER
UK
44-277-228888
44-277-211350 fax

Handtop Computer
pcmcia
Handtop Computers International
23, Allee Des Vendanges
France-77325 Croissy Beaubourg
Marne-La-Vallee Cedex 02
33 (1) 60.17.70.94
33 (1) 60.17.70.77 fax

Company:
Model:
CPU:
CPU speed:
Display:
Keyboard:
RAM min:
RAM Max:
Slot quanity:
Slot Version:
Slot cavity Type:
Max Addressable Card Size:
Battery life:
Battery type and number:
Ports: serial, parallel, power, video, keyboard
WxDxH (folded) English:
WxDxH (folded) metric:
Weight English:
Weight metric:
Software:
Notes:
Price:
Last revision 1993.07.29

PCMCIA machines

The latest version of this file is available via anonymous ftp on the
Internet as: csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables/pcmcia.machines

Usenet postings concerning PCMCIA including prices are archived in the
pcmcia.news file in the same directory.

This information is in no particular order. I am but a customer of
some of these companies. This information is not guaranteed, and may
be outright wrong. Use at your own risk. Please send additions or
corrections.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

Companies with PCMCIA slot equiped machines:

NEC Technologies Inc. 386 notebook, pen pads
1414 Massachusetts Ave.
Boxborough, MA 01719
800-388-8888
508-264-8000
800-366-0476 fax

Sharp notebooks: PC-6785, PC-6891;palmtops
Sharp Plaza
Mahwah, NJ 07430-2135
201-529-8200

Z-Lite Model 60,4 pounds 2x V2 Type II ethernet, modems
Zenith Data Systems
2150 East Lake Cook Rd.
Buffalo Grove IL 60089
800-553-0331
800-472-7211 fax

NC-100 notebook computer
Amstrad
44-277-228888
44-277-211350 fax

PowerExec notebook
AST
800-876-4AST

penpad EHT-20
Epson
310-787-6300
310-782-5350 fax

GRiD Systems Corp. GRiDPad penpad, Convertible
[...]

Solectek wireless LAN

Commodore CD-TV, Amiga 600, 1200, 4000

320sli subnotebook
Dell
Digital

palmtop
Mitsuba

R10, R20 palmtops
Casio

EO 440, 880, pen personal communicators
EO Inc.
800A Middle Field Rd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
800-458-0880
415-903-8100
415-903-8190 fax

palmtop, SRAM
Mitsuba
1925 Wright Ave
LaVerne CA 91750
800-mit-suba

Toucan subnotebook,C&T,2MB RAM,40MB ROM,2xPCMCIA Type II,DR-DOS,$899,1.9lb,fax
Omron
408-727-1444
From uwm.edu!wupost!howland.reston.ans.net!gatech!concert!decwrl!world!rogerw Fri Jun 4 18:00:14 CDT 1993
Article: 11065 of comp.sys.laptops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
From: rog...@world.std.com (Roger A Williams)
Subject: Re: PCMCIA cards...
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1993 22:26:13 GMT

Also (I don't know how I forgot this), Computer Boards Inc has just
introduced two PCMCIA (Type II) data acquisition cards:

PCM-DAS08 8 12-bit 20kHz analogue input channels
Digital I/O
Internal/external clock

PCM-D28C3 20 bit-programmable I/O lines
16 vectored interrupt inputs
3 16-bit counters

Best of all, they come with SystemSoft's Card & Socket Services
BIOS-level interface/system resource manager/high-level driver
support. Also universal drivers for (DOS) programming languages and a
Windows DLL.

Roger Williams | "Most great discoveries are made
rog...@world.std.com | by accident: the larger the
consulting engineer | funding, the longer it takes to
Middleborough, Mass. | have that accident."

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!caen!malgudi.oar.net!news.ans.net!cmcl2!netnews!panix!panix!not-for-mail Thu Jun 10 10:03:41 CDT 1993
Article: 11195 of comp.sys.laptops
From: schu...@panix.com (Michael Schuster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: AT&T PCMCIA modem/where to buy?
Date: 10 Jun 1993 09:19:31 -0400

In article <12yu5B...@cellar.org> fail...@cellar.org (Failsafe) writes:
>I am considering buying the AT&T/Paradyne 14.4K Keep in Touch Card PCMCIA
>fax/modem and have the following questions:
>
>1) How satisfied are you with it?

Have had it in my T3300SL for about a month. I am satisfied. It's pretty
bulletproof.

>2) Any compatibility issues?

Two minor ones. First, I cannot use it as COM1 because the system ends
up thinking that I only have one COM: port. If you configure the
internal COM: port as COM1 and the modem as COM2 as suggested, it
works fine. This might very well be a Toshiba issue. However Toshiba
tech support made no comment when I told them this.

Second, also a Toshiba issue, is that there is no BIOS support specifically
for this device. So the power management popup menu does not recognize that
the modem is there. You have to use the AT&T utility programs to turn the
modem on and off, etc. Bu there is no problem with those.

>3) Where did you buy it and for how much? (I haven't found anyone selling it
>yet!!!)

$620 From Computer Peripherals Plus. I think Insight Marketing, who have
just taken over Toshiba's accessories marketing, have it for a similar
price.

Toshiba has announced two PCMCIA modems of their own making. One is 2.0
and probably doesn't have the minor BIOS niggles above. The other is
4.0 and includes two modular phone sockets on the modem itself. Far
as I know neither has shipped. The 2.0 model is about $50 cheaper than
the AT&T.

>4) Does AT&T sell the modem with an AT&T label or OEM it out to Toshiba, NEC
>etc. only?

Toshiba sells it a plain box with warranty, but inside the modem, LAM,
manuals, discs, etc are all AT&T. Note it does not come with FAX software.
It conforms to Class I; and WinFax, DosFax, MTEZ, etc etc all work with it.

>5) What software is included?

Utilities for configuring, testing, and firmware (flash ROM) updates.
I've just installed a firmware update from the Paradyne BBS; it was
childishly easy.

--
Mike Schuster | schu...@panix.com | 70346...@CompuServe.COM
------------------- | schu...@shell.portal.com | GEnie: MSCHUSTER

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Thu Jun 10 14:47:07 CDT 1993
Article: 7311 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: PCMCIA floppy disk
Date: 10 Jun 1993 18:15:04 GMT

In article <12...@ceylon.gte.com> pka...@gte.com writes:
>Does someone make a PCMCIA floppy disk to attach to a
>machine with PCMCIA, but no floppy?

I don't know of such a device. There is at least one PCMCIA SCSI
adapter and there are SCSI floppy drives. If the machine has a free
parallel port there are several parallel port floppy drives. Get the
file via anonymous ftp csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Laptop/parallel.devices.
Sparcom sells a serial port floppy drive called the Drive95.

Sparcom Corporation
897 NW Grant Avenue
Corvallis, OR 97330
503-757-8416 phone
503-753-7821 fax
sup...@sparcom.com (Internet)
75320,2440 (Compuserve)
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!gatech!hubcap!ncrcae!ncrhub2!ncrlnk!ncrdnde!ddtopper!root Thu Jun 10 20:24:52 CDT 1993
Article: 11202 of comp.sys.laptops
From: dave
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: SUMMARY: NCR Wavelan PCMCIA Card Details
Date: 10 Jun 93 16:15:03 GMT
Sender: ro...@ddtopper.Dundee.NCR.COM (0000-Admin(0000))

following info on the NCR offering.
This info was extracted from an NCR flyer, and is all I know!
If you really want more info, then contact Andre....@Utrecht.NCR.COM,
who is the product Manager for this card.

NCR WaveLAN/PCMCIA Information Extract:

Features:
* Complies with PCMCIA RElease 2.0

* Interoperable with NCR Wavelan ISA and MCA boards

* Wired LAN throughput (2Mbits/sec)

* Consists of PCMCIA Type 2 card and external antenna

* Supports Netware (v3 and v2) LAN Manager, StarGROUP, Netware Lite and
Windows for Workgroups

* No external Power Supply Required

* Diagnostic LEDs for Power ON/OFF, Tx and Rx

* Software configurable

* Station Mobility up to 14 Km/hr, 8miles/hr

* Dimensions: PC Card 8.56cm x 5.4cm x 0.5cm
Antenna 11.8cm x 6.5cm x 1.63cm

* weight: 150 grames

* Antenna comes with adhesive mounting bracket

* 30cm cable between card and antenna

* Power management features

* 8 bit I/O interface

* Average power consumption 300mW

* RF Frequency 902 - 928MHz, Spread Spectrum @ 250mW

* Coverage: open office - 800ft, semiopen office - 200ft, closed office -
80ft.

* DES Encryption chip optional

Copyright NCR Corporation, all information subject to change, and to
national variation.

For more info contact your local NCR sales office. (not me!)

Hope this is of interest

Dave

dddddddddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrccccccccccccccccccccc
David R. Chalmers, Project Leader, ASIC Development Group.
E & M Dundee, Scotland, UK
dave.c...@dundee.NCR.COM tel: +44 382 59 2445
"BEBOP ASIC, she's our baby.. BEBOP ASIC don't mean maybe!"

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Jun 16 13:10:48 CDT 1993
Article: 7436 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Date: 16 Jun 1993 16:48:49 GMT

In article <40.5816.12...@channel1.com> dan.m...@channel1.com (Dan Mahoney) writes:
>I'd like to get around 4 or 5 mb memory card for my HP100LX. Problem is
>there are ALL different kinds! RAM, Flash, SRAM, etc. Also I was told

SRAM is merely static RAM, it takes less power to run and doesn't need
to be refreshed unlike dynamic RAM (DRAM) used in most desktop
machines. The largest PCMCIA SRAM card is 4MB and costs around $1000.
A PCMCIA DRAM standard is being worked on but will probably be a
different form factor entirely. Flash memory is very much like EPROM
except that it doesn't need ultraviolet light for erasure. The largest
PCMCIA flash card (12 volt) is 20MB and costs around $1200. There are
also various other sorts of PCMCIA card such as one time programmable
(OTP).

>that there are 5 volt and 12 volt flash cards and the 100 needs (or
>prefers) 12 volt cards. The reason was the 12 volt flash card would
>run faster (although both would work ok).

Flash memory must have 12 volts for writing and erasing. The 5 volt
flash memory cards have a DC-DC converter or voltage pump to generate
the needed 12 volts. This adds extra expense so isn't worth it unless
the card must be writable in a 5 volt machine like the HP-95LX. Note
that the HP-95LX can only address 4MB total so special bank switching
hardware and software must also be used for the larger cards.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!sdd.hp.com!hp-cv!hp-pcd!hpcvra!prestonb Mon Jun 21 17:21:35 CDT 1993
Article: 7574 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: pres...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com (Preston Brown)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 19:29:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Flash Life-expectancy
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops

The flash memory chips used in the SunDisk or other types of flash cards have
a limited lifetime. Basically, after thousands of erase/writes portions
on the chip may not be able to be erased. The controller on the Sun Disk
automatically takes care of this and maps in spare bits if necessary. There
is also a wear leveling utility that spreads out the usage so that no one
portion of the disk wears out first.

Sundisk claims you can write 10MBytes/day for 100 years and never wear out your
disk.

The only way you could possibly see a problem is if you were to run an
application that constantly re-wrote the same part of the disk. The usuall
file save operations would not wear out the disk.

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Tue Jun 22 00:05:05 CDT 1993
Article: 7570 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: PCMCIA Formatting
Date: 21 Jun 1993 17:53:40 GMT

In article <93170.1...@psuvm.psu.edu> <G...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>to read and write to the Poqet format? I guess the question I'm asking
>is do all these different machines that are coming out with PCMCIA slots
>have different formatting specs.? Thanks. Gil.

There is the Card Interchange Standard (CIS) for MS-DOS file systems on
PCMCIA RAM and ROM cards. Unfortunately the Poqet PC predates this
standard, it uses what is called "pseudo-floppy" format. The HP-95LX
can read either CIS or psuedo-floppy. Formatting defaults to CIS,
pseudo-floppy format can be done with the "/p" option on the HP-95LX.
I've done this often so I know it works. I suspect the other HP
machines have similar capability.

I don't know if all the other machines use compatible formats although
I think they would all support CIS. I haven't heard of anyone actually
trying to interchange cards with the various other palmtops.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Tue Jun 22 00:05:13 CDT 1993
Article: 7571 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: Flash Cards
Date: 21 Jun 1993 17:56:54 GMT

In article <C8tss...@cbfsb.cb.att.com> rd...@cbnewsf.cb.att.com (richard.b.dell) writes:
>software requirements, vendors, etc? For that matter, a compilation
>of all PCMCIA cards would be useful, for example comparing how long

I'll compile such information as I find it. For the most part I
haven't seen such information. I do compile lists of vendors and
manufacturers. These lists and other information can be gotten via
anonymous ftp from csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Tue Jun 22 01:06:16 CDT 1993
Article: 7590 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Date: 22 Jun 1993 04:33:20 GMT

In article <C8zqM...@NCoast.ORG> dav...@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
> There are 3 kinds of PCMCIA cards (currently). Type 1, Type 2, and
>Type 3. Within the Type 1 class there are two sub-groups - Version 1 and
>Version 2. Version 2 was released at the same time as the specs for Type 2

I think you're confusing Type and Release. Card Type is only physical
size, nothing else. There are three types, I, II, III, and a proposed
type IV, each differs in thickness. Release is the interface between
the card and the host, there are two releases, 1.0 (memory devices) and
2.0 (I/O devices).

A card could be any mix of Type or Release. As it happens, most
Release 2.0 cards are also Type II since most Release 2.0 slots are
Type II. There is little advantage to making a Release 2.0 Type I card
but there is no reason why one couldn't be made. It's entirely
possible to make a Release 2.0 Type III card. Such a card might have
64MB (the maximum) of SRAM and/or flash memory. Such a card would also
be incredibly expensive right now.

>Pretty much all RAM/Flash cards are type 1 PCMCIA cards. The Poqet uses the
>earlier version 1 format of Type 1 cards. I am not sure, but I think that the
>HP 95 uses version 2 Type 1 cards. All PCMCIA cards are downward compatible,

The Poqet PC predates the Release 1.0 standard entirely. It is,
however, quite close to the standard except that 3 volt cards must be
used for reliable operation. Ordinary Release 1.0 5 volt cards will
work, sometimes. The HP-95LX has a Release 1.0, Type II slot, that is,
it can only use standard memory cards (or non-standard I/O cards) but
those cards can be 5mm thick.

>if you use Type 1 Version 1 cards you won't get all the features. A Type 1 slot
>can only work with Type 1 cards. Pretty much all the modem & networking cards

A Type I slot can only use Type I cards because the socket and the
computer's case could break if a Type II (or thicker) card is jammed
inside.

>are Type 2, although at least one company makes a Type 1 modem for the 95lx
>(and of course there is the Motorolla wireless receiver).

It doesn't really matter if the modem is Type I or not as the HP-95LX
can accept either Type I or Type II cards. However, the HP cannot use
Release 2.0 cards so a special proprietary software interface must be
used in the New Media fax modem.

> Oh, version 2 of Level 1 cards support "XIP", that is - "execute in
>place". That means that software on the card can be run directly on the card
>in ROM, it doesn't have to copy the program to the host computers memory and
>run it there (which is how the Poqet works). So if you are going to get

XIP is supported in PCMCIA Release 1.0. The HP-95LX Dictionary/
Thesaurus card uses it. However XIP programs cannot be copied from the
card they are distributed. This means that people who own both a XIP
card and a SRAM or flash card must choose between the two. This is
enough of a disadvantage that I'll probably never buy XIP software
unless the machine has slots to spare, such as the Omnibook.

Most of the software in the Fujitsu Poqet PC doesn't seem to XIP. The
Lotus 123 card for the Poqet PC doesn't seem to XIP either.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!usc!cs.utexas.edu!not-for-mail Tue Jun 22 14:05:53 CDT 1993
Article: 7603 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ralph_...@ppd-smtp.az05.bull.com (Ralph Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: HP RAM CARD FORSALE
Date: 22 Jun 1993 12:00:20 -0500
Sender: dae...@cs.utexas.edu

For Sale: HP 128KB RAM Card

True Blue HP F1002A 128-Kbyte RAM Card
Brand New - Never taken out of the box.

Priced to sell quickly at $65.00
(US shipping) 2.90
-----
$67.90

R.S.V.P.

Ralph Butler, Phoenix, AZ
Email: r.bu...@az05.bull.com
Phone: 602-862-4158

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Tue Jun 22 14:14:54 CDT 1993
Article: 7606 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Date: 22 Jun 1993 18:39:15 GMT

In article <C90xM...@NCoast.ORG> dav...@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>the 2nd logical interface was released with the 2nd physical specs. But it

The PCMCIA 1.0 liturature I have from 1990 clearly shows a Type II card
although it does not state its thickness.

>is indeed usefull to have physical type 1 cards with logical type 2 interfaces
>for things like modems that were not designed into the specs for logical type
>1 interfaces.

It doesn't sound that useful to me. Offhand, I don't know of any
PCMCIA 2.0 machines that have only Type I slots. The extra space is
only an extra 0.85mm on each side so it wouldn't be that hard to put in
the extra space.

> I doubt you will ever see any more release 1 products, as those do not
>support Socket Services or Card Services. Also, I do not think a hard drive or
>network card would be possible with release 1 software.

I think more PCMCIA Release 1.0 products are very likely. The largest
readily available SRAM card is only 2MB and the largest flash card is
20MB. The Release 1.0 address limit is 64MB so I think it will be very
likely that there will be larger flash cards and probably larger SRAM
cards in the years to come. The flash memory cards used on the
HP-100LX and other 12 volt card machines are just ordinary PCMCIA
Release 1.0 cards. However, I don't expect (m)any more non-memory
cards for PCMCIA 1.0 machines.

As it happens a company did make an IDE PCMCIA card for the HP-95LX.
It was apparently done as a one time stunt for a trade show.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Jun 23 14:17:06 CDT 1993
Article: 7636 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: WHERE TO GET CHEAP MEMORY-CARDS FOR THE HP100LX?
Date: 23 Jun 1993 16:42:27 GMT

In article <2c25f1d7...@BEIZ.mediatex.ch> Progra...@BEIZ.mediatex.ch (055485666: MEDIAtex AG) writes:
>I'm thinking about 2MB - 8MB per card. has anybody an adress?

Sure. The latest pcmcia.sources and pcmcia.devices files are in
followups to this message.

>What's the difference between SRAM and FlashDisk?

Here are excerpts from
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables/pcmcia.specifications.

SRAM
Ordinary static RAM packaged in a PCMCIA card. These cards
have a user replacable lithium battery to provide power when
the card isn't in a machine, or if otherwise power is not
available. There is a write protect/enable switch.

flash
An entirely different kind of memory. It is neither RAM, nor
ROM. It most closely resembles EPROM except that it can be
erased electrically rather than with ultraviolet light. It
isn't like EEPROM or EAROM in that individual bytes cannot be
erase and rewritten. Only the entire device or a few large
blocks (zones) can be erased. Because of this special file
systems must be used or else the cards must be treated as
merely ROM. These cards exist in two main types, 12 volt and 5
volt. The 12 volt cards are for use in those machines that can
generate the 12 volts needed to erase and write. The 5 volt
cards have specialy circuitry to generate the needed 12 volts
at the cost of less storage and higher overall cost. Beyond
these differences there are others, consult the manufacturers
for compatibility.

>I mean the difference for the user! is a FlashDisk also usable like a normal
>floppy or are limitations?

Flash memory is cheaper and consumes more power to write than SRAM.
However, it consumes no power when not in use, unlike SRAM which
constantly draws power either from the computer or from its own
battery.

Does anyone have more specific power draw information on flash and SRAM?
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Jun 23 14:17:37 CDT 1993
Article: 7640 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: Battery life of PCMCIA
Date: 23 Jun 1993 16:59:22 GMT

In article <1993Jun23.1...@fcom.cc.utah.edu> pul...@mail.physics.utah.edu writes:
>I just got a 512K SRAM card for my Sharp PC3000. In the instructions it says
>that after the battery low warning for hte PCMCIA card goes on one has TWO
>HOURS! to change the battery before data is lost. This seems a bit hasty to
>me. If one is on a plane it is hard to get a hold of a rather specialized
>watch-like battery. Is there any way around this? (apart from the obvious one
>of carring along a spare battery...)

Like most machines, the Sharp probably powers the SRAM cards constantly
when the machine is on. Once you get the low battery warning you could
just keep the Sharp constantly on to stretch out the two hours left.
That is, just keep using it, or disable the automatic power off.

I suspect that the instructions are just being conservative, and
there is more time than that to change batteries. After all SRAM
card batteries are supposed to last about a year so it seems
unlikely that voltage sensor in the Sharp has 0.002% accuracy.

High temperatures can can significantly reduce the life of lithium
batteries. The battery could fail at almost any time since you don't
know at what temperatures and for how long the battery has been
subjected. It's a good idea to plan ahead and get the possibly
difficult to find battery first.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!sdd.hp.com!hp-cv!hp-pcd!hp-vcd!erik Thu Jun 24 16:58:40 CDT 1993
Article: 2097 of comp.sys.mac.portables
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.portables
From: er...@vcd.hp.com (Erik Kilk)
Subject: Re: PCMCIA slots???
Sender: ne...@vcd.hp.com (News user)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1993 19:56:51 GMT

I have the PCMCIA 2 spec. Let me know if you have
any specific questions. It's about 2" thick so I'm not
about to summarize it here.

Erik

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!usc!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!decwrl!cache.crc.ricoh.com!steve Fri Jun 25 00:53:33 CDT 1993
Article: 7675 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
From: st...@crc.ricoh.COM (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Subject: Re: PCMCIA "docking stations"?
Sender: ne...@crc.ricoh.com (USENET News System)
Date: 25 Jun 1993 00:31:29 GMT

In article <20a8g9$3...@dr-pepper.East.Sun.COM> jdr...@pdp8.East.Sun.COM (Jon Dreyer, SunSelect PC Networking) writes:

The ability to pull many slots out of one would be a big plus for
PCMCIA, because people always want more slots than they have. Is it
possible that PCMCIA does not allow this? Has anyone solved this
problem for PCMCIA version 2, or does anybody know whether it is
solvable? Seems like the PCMCIA folks ought to put this on the agenda
for version 3 if it's not there already.

Unfortunately, PCMCIA is most emphatically *not* a bus. There's a lot
of control stuff that goes on for each slot; it's even worse than it
would be if each slot were simply a fixed set of addresses on a memory
bus.

It *might* be possible to make a multi-slot *controller*, with a lot of
local intelligence, that made multiple cards look like a single one.
This would certainly be a useful item.
--
\ --Steve Savitzky-- \ 343 Leigh Ave \ REAL HACKERS USE AN AXE!
\ st...@crc.ricoh.COM \ San Jose, CA 95128 \ Free Cyberia!

From uwm.edu!spool.mu.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.com!hp-cv!hp-pcd!hpcvra!lorenh Fri Jun 25 13:59:02 CDT 1993
Article: 7685 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: lor...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com (Loren Heisey)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 17:03:25 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops

dd...@alfred.carleton.ca (Duncan Glendinning) writes:
>In <C93M6...@freenet.carleton.ca> ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Lau Hon-Wah) writes:
>>In a previous article, pres...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com (Preston Brown) says:
>
>>>The flash memory chips used in the SunDisk or other types of flash cards have
>>>a limited lifetime. Basically, after thousands of erase/writes portions
>>>on the chip may not be able to be erased. The controller on the Sun Disk
>>>automatically takes care of this and maps in spare bits if necessary. There
>>>is also a wear leveling utility that spreads out the usage so that no one
>>>portion of the disk wears out first.
>>>
>>>Sundisk claims you can write 10MBytes/day for 100 years and never wear out your
>>>disk.
>
>>This is very interesting - is this just words of mouth or is this written
>>somewhere. If so, could you tell me where I can obtain that document?

This was from Sundisk's marketing and I doubt is in writing anywhere.
Sundisk specs each 512 byte block with >50,000 erase/write cycles.
The wear level management built into the card that swaps more written
areas with less written areas further extends this. With things like
spreadsheets and wordprocessors that typically update files from time to
time the Sundisk cards should easily outlast the product. However flash
might not be best suited for applications that have intensive disk writes.

>I believe that the Intel flash (8M bit) device is worth investigation
>regarding the capabilities of flash devices. I seem to recall that they
>support somthing on the order of 100,000 erases / block (this is from
>memory). Assuming that the controller marks bits within blocks as
>being dirty until the block is full, the block will last a while.

With the Intel flash cards there is no wear leveling built in so it is
up to things like the flash file system to take care of it.

--
Loren Heisey
Internet: lor...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.com!col.hp.com!news.dtc.hp.com!hpscit.sc.hp.com!cupnews0.cup.hp.com!runyan Fri Jun 25 14:00:02 CDT 1993
Article: 7686 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
From: run...@cup.hp.com (Mark Runyan)
Subject: Re: ACE RAM DoubleCards
Sender: ne...@cupnews0.cup.hp.com (News Admin)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 18:36:07 GMT

Oyland Wong (wo...@goofy.ee.pdx.edu) wrote:
>I just ordered an ACE RAM DoubleCard from Educalc.
>I was wondering if there are any "querks" with that card.
>It has a data compression program that boasts that it will
>compress files at 2:1 ratio, Lotus files at 3:1 ratio, and
>some DOS files at 1:1 ratio. ... I was wondering
>if anyone has had any experience with this ram card? ...

I happen to have and use an ACE RAM DoubleCard (512K compressed for
1Mb). I've been fairly pleased with it so far. I'll point out that if
you try to store a compressed file on the card, you don't get any
advantage As for specific ratios, I haven't looked. I do keep some
pretty good sized Lotus Spreadsheets on my card and I've still got some
room.

For quirks, there's only the one little one that you get with most
compressed "disks"... The "disk" is really a file that some software is
supporting, so you have to have a `driver' running to access the disk.
It is possible to get into a state where you are not running the driver
and you are stuck looking at some unusual files rather than the ones you
stored on that card. This is particularly easy if you are switching
back forth between PCMCIA cards with different drivers <for example the
DoubleCard and a SUNDISK card>. If you do put "compressed" files on
your disk, you might get some odd numbers. For instance, I have three
executables that are compressed on my ACE card along with several lotus
spreadsheets, some text files, and a phonebook. A
"Menu:Directory:Status" shows 311225 bytes on disk, with 303104 free
(311225+303104 != 1Mb).

Oh, and don't ever make the mistake of trying to reformat the card, and
keep all the manuals that come in the package. And, no, I've not tried
to change the battery yet.

Mark Runyan

PS: I don't remember, but you may need to have a connectivity kit
to set up the doublecard correctly.

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!gatech!pitt.edu!magnesium.club.cc.cmu.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!cert.org!netnews.upenn.edu!anat3d2.anatomy.upenn.edu!hseung Fri Jun 25 17:45:48 CDT 1993
Article: 7687 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: hse...@anat3d2.anatomy.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Date: 25 Jun 93 20:37:12 GMT
Sender: ne...@netnews.upenn.edu

Oyland Wong (wo...@goofy.ee.pdx.edu) wrote:
>I just ordered an ACE RAM DoubleCard from Educalc.
>I was wondering if there are any "querks" with that card.
>It has a data compression program that boasts that it will
>compress files at 2:1 ratio, Lotus files at 3:1 ratio, and
>some DOS files at 1:1 ratio. ... I was wondering
>if anyone has had any experience with this ram card? ...

I have the 2MB ACE DoubleCard on my Sharp-3000 ("4MB DoubleCard" on
the Educalc catalogue). Using the Stacker that comes with the card, I
filled up about 4.5 Meg worth of data (mostly text) and executables,
and still have more than 1.2 Meg worth of "free space" left over. The
only disadvantage is that I have to use four high-density floppies to
backup my RAM card now.

Hyunsuk Seung
hse...@anat3d1.anatomy.upenn.edu

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Fri Jun 25 21:33:37 CDT 1993
Article: 2330 of comp.sys.mac.portables
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: 24 Jun 1993 22:36:25 GMT

In article <1993Jun21....@lloyd.Camex.COM> ow...@lloyd.Camex.COM (Owen Hartnett) writes:
> [...]

Yes, new machines are constantly coming out with PCMCIA slots, including
some desktop computers. Get the file via anonymous ftp on the Internet
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables/pcmcia.devices for a list of 53
companies making PCMCIA products not including the computers that can
use them.

Many machines have at least two PCMCIA slots, the newer ones have
four. Most Macintoshes don't have as many slots. PCMCIA cards are
designed to be easy to insert and remove on the fly. No exposed
contacts or traces, no tools needed. These devices are made to be as
easy to use as floppies, albeit expensive ones.

How about a wallet? These are literally credit card sized, merely
thicker. I keep my extra cards in audio cassette cases.

PCMCIA cards are a whole lot more durable than the relatively fragile
glass LCD and delicate hard drive found in most laptops. PCMCIA hard
drives are typically designed to withstand 100g operating shocks and
even more non-operating. I usually keep my PCMCIA cards in a jacket
or shirt pocket.

This doesn't happen to you with floppies right now? PCMCIA cards have
already replaced floppy drives on some machines.

>>There are good reasons for these cards and bad. Since I need a modem everywhere
>>I go, I would not want to pay the packaging price for a modem PCMCIA. PCMCIA
>>would be nice for things I need, but need only occasionally.

How about when you want to swap out that slow 14.4kbps modem for a fast
28.8kbps modem? It sure is nicer than a modem that has to be soldered
in more or less permanently. The extra cost of PCMCIA modems at the
moment may be offset by the easy upgradability. Costs are dropping.

>But to get back to the original subject. Adding PCMCIA cards to either
>powerbooks or duos gives us at least one, and possibly many more things
>to carry around, regardless of the platform strategy.

No, it doesn't. PCMCIA cards go inside the computer and can stay
there. There's only something to carry around if the card needs an
external cable or if there are more cards than there are slots.

Without PCMCIA there wouldn't be anything else to carry around because
that functionality wouldn't even be there. PCMCIA can make the docking
station obsolete.

By the way, the Newton NotePad will have PCMCIA slots.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!wupost!spool.mu.edu!think.com!grapevine.lcs.mit.edu!ai-lab!life!caroma Sat Jun 26 19:01:50 CDT 1993
Article: 1642 of comp.sys.pen
From: car...@ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: [from alt.periphs.pcmcia: PCMCIA versions and types]
Date: 26 Jun 93 17:30:52

From: pe...@cirrus.com (Pete Carpenter)
Newsgroups: alt.periphs.pcmcia
Subject: Re: PCMCIA Hard Disk Cards
Date: 21 Jun 93 21:18:00 GMT

[...]

Hope you're not confusing Versions and Types (easy to do)

V1.0, V2.0 are electrical spec.s
Type I,II,III are mechanical shapes. (3.3mm, 5.5mm, 10.5mm thick)
Type IV isn't official, but 14mm and 16mm slots are popping up in notebooks.

You probably won't find any type II hard disk cards. They just aren't
thick enough. That's why the type III card was proposed.

I haven't seen any PCMCIA 'hard cards' available through retail channels yet.
But drive makers (Maxtor,Seagate,HP,etc) have annouced products for this sort
of thing in various trade magazines. (ECN,EDN,Electronic Design,etc.) So, I
imagine it won't be too long...

Disclaimer:
While Cirrus Logic makes both PCMCIA and hard disk controller products,
I'm in the Data Communications Department, and have no connection with
either of these product lines.

--
Pete Carpenter pe...@cirrus.com

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!newsserver.jvnc.net!nj.nec.com!shakti!rlc Sat Jun 26 21:53:12 CDT 1993
Article: 93806 of misc.forsale
Newsgroups: misc.forsale
From: r...@syl.nj.nec.com (Richard Chung)
Subject: JEIDA PCMCIA Card
Sender: ne...@research.nj.nec.com
Date: 26 Jun 93 11:40:32

I have a JEIDA PCMCIA 1 Meg card for sale. The best offer over $150
will take it and offers under will be considered.

--
Rich Chung
r...@syl.nj.nec.com

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!noc.near.net!news.cs.brandeis.edu!ST90...@pip.cc.brandeis.edu Sun Jun 27 23:55:04 CDT 1993
Article: 7707 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
From: st90...@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Alastair M. Bor)
Subject: Crazy Price
Sender: ne...@news.cs.brandeis.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 01:16:44 GMT

Today I bought a 128K HP F1002A card from Service Merchandise for
$29.00. I know its not a lot of memory, but if anybody wants some
cheap memory.. check out your local Service Merchandise...

-Alastair Bor
st90...@pip.cc.brandeis.edu

(BTW: this is a JEIDA/PCMCIA 1.0 card)

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!moe.ksu.ksu.edu!kuhub.cc.ukans.edu!sdaly Mon Jun 28 12:29:00 CDT 1993
Article: 7721 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: sd...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: Crazy Price
Date: 28 Jun 93 09:52:36 CST

In article <1993Jun28.0...@news.cs.brandeis.edu>, st90...@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Alastair M. Bor) writes:
> Today I bought a 128K HP F1002A card from Service Merchandise for
> $29.00. I know its not a lot of memory, but if anybody wants some
> cheap memory.. check out your local Service Merchandise...

--

Actually that is not really THAT cheap for PCMCIA SRAM. 128K at $29
comes out to roughly 23 cents/Kb. You can get a 512K card for $89,

Sean Daly | sd...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
University of Kansas Computer Center | op...@ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu
Office of Information Systems | op...@ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu
Operations | sd...@oread.cc.ukans.edu
(913) 864-0431 | LAN: CC_STAFF/OP77

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!sdd.hp.com!hp-cv!hp-pcd!hpcvra!lorenh Thu Jul 1 22:26:30 CDT 1993
Article: 7802 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: lor...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com (Loren Heisey)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 23:07:14 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops

I wrote:

>Sundisk specs each 512 byte block with >50,000 erase/write cycles.
>The wear level management built into the card that swaps more written
>areas with less written areas further extends this. With things like
>spreadsheets and wordprocessors that typically update files from time to
>time the Sundisk cards should easily outlast the product. However flash
>might not be best suited for applications that have intensive disk writes.

Someone pointed out that I should give this a little more explanation.
The Sundisk cards do have the wear level management built into the card.
However the host system must initiate the wear level management in the
card. None of HP's portable products presently do this at the system level.
Both the HP100LX and OmniBook 300 provide a utility program that the user
can run to do the wear leveling. With the OmniBook it is in the system ROM.
For the HP100 it comes on the floppy that has the Sundisk driver.

Sundisk recommends that the utility be run once every 3 months on lightly
or moderately used systems, and once a month on heavily used systems (Sundisk
categorizes heavy usage as more than 100 megabytes written per day).

--
Loren Heisey
Internet: lor...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com
UUCP : {decwrl|rutgers|ucbvax}!hplabs!hp-pcd!lorenh

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!darwin.sura.net!sgiblab!wetware!spunky.RedBrick.COM!psinntp!psinntp!crynwr!nelson Thu Jul 1 23:18:12 CDT 1993
Article: 4938 of comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
From: nel...@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Subject: PCMCIA ethernet adapter
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 18:09:42 GMT

In article <20f7r5$q...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> wa...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

Can any body recommend a PCMCIA Ethernet adapter that supports both thin coax
and 10BaseT and has a reliable packet driver.

The following vendor has an NE2000 compatible PCMCIA card that they
say works with the NE2000 packet driver.

Socket Communications - +1-510-670-0300

Please tell them that Russell Nelson sent you because of their past
support for packet drivers and free software in general.

-russ <nel...@crynwr.com> What canst *thou* say?
Crynwr Software Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.
11 Grant St. 315-268-1925 Voice | LPF member - ask me about
Potsdam, NY 13676 315-268-9201 FAX | the harm software patents do.

From uwm.edu!spool.mu.edu!uunet!pipex!bnr.co.uk!demon!daveland.demon.co.uk!davidj Fri Jul 2 12:12:23 CDT 1993
Article: 2373 of comp.sys.mac.portables
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.portables
From: David Johnston <dav...@daveland.demon.co.uk>
Sender: ne...@demon.co.uk
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1993 17:19:03 GMT

> ..... Much worrying about PCMCIA deleted ....

O.K. I've had a design for a PCMCIA thing in my head for ages.
Basically a 5380 + cheap micro + target mode SCSI driver + PCMCIA
sockets + some extra software to play with it.

The first three I already have from a previous project and work
fine, I've just never been bothered to do anything with it.

What would *YOU* like to see in a PCMCIA box for the mac? I might
just pick it up again if there's a demand.

David Johnston: dav...@daveland.demon.co.uk
Cambridge, U.K.

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!camex!lloyd!owen Fri Jul 2 12:12:50 CDT 1993
Article: 2404 of comp.sys.mac.portables
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.portables
From: ow...@lloyd.Camex.COM (Owen Hartnett)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 08:32:06 EDT

In article <20ghmo...@uwm.edu> ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) writes:
>In article <1993Jun25....@lloyd.Camex.COM> ow...@lloyd.Camex.COM (Owen Hartnett) writes:
>
>>I don't doubt that they are being installed on new machines, but my question
>>was one primarily of *use*. Are they being utilized? My scenario for PCMCIA
>
>PCMCIA adds functionality, so if you're using a couple of boards it's
>because you're using the functionality. If you don't want the
>functionality then just don't use it. Empty PCMCIA slots are no more
>wasted than empty modem slots.

But how are people actually using them? Are they carrying two to six boards
with them or do they buy one board and install it, then never touching it
until they buy an upgrade of the board, then trashing the old and installing
the new? If the latter, then it's no better than, say, the modem spot on
the powerbooks, where it's a relatively easy matter to install a newer modem.

Yes, PCMCIA is a standard, but one geared for intel chip machines. It will
be interesting to see how Newton will utilize them.

>If you're swapping, that probably means you're getting more
>functionality than you otherwise would have in a machine with no
>slots. If you don't want the extra functionality leave the cards at
>home. If you want the functionality PCMCIA can be a big win. A pair
>of PCMCIA slots can eliminate an external modem and an integrated
>MiniDock and ethernet adapter. In their place two devices roughly the
>size of a LocalTalk box would be needed for the modem and ethernet
>adapter. At least two largish boxes have been replaced with no more
>than two smallish boxes. These boxes are cheap enough that it's
>possible to buy extra for home, work, car, or travel case.

Granted, a machine with slots will give you more expandability than one with
none. But if your machine has the functionality built in that you need, then
you don't have to deal with slots. And if your machine doesn't have that
functionality built in, and you have to deal with a bunch of cards, that
can quickly become tiresome.

>>My point is: If I'll always need the function, then I want it installed--for
>>the same reason you want a hard disk instead of reading all your files from
>
>You want a hard drive permanently installed inside your computer? I
>certainly don't. I want to be able to slide out the old hard drive and
>slide in a newer, faster, less power hungry, and higher capacity hard
>drive (or other technology) whenever I want. Because it's standard I
>can buy it from whoever I want too.

The lack of standard did not prohibit diversity of sources for Macintosh
powerbook hard drives, nor for any other peripheral.

>>ality I need for the customer site visit. But how much nicer it would be to
>>have all the functionality already built in!
>
>The concept of having all functionality built in now and forever died
>with the original Macintosh. Unless one wants to buy a new computer
>every year to have the latest modem (v.32terbo 19.2kbps modems come out
>soon) or other peripheral, expansion slots are a must.

Only to people who must have the latest, fastest, and hottest new gadgets.
Swapping a modem in a powerbook is more onerous than with PCMCIA, but for
the frequency with which you will be swapping modems and hard drives (once
per year, maybe, maximum?) certainly tolerable. I don't see too much of
an advantage with having an extremely fast way of swapping a modem.

>>I know, hopefully miniaturization will continue so that this is no longer
>>necessary someday in the future.
>
>This will only happen when innovation stops. Even if every single
>peripheral and option available could be crammed inside a computer
>today, an improved or totally new device would be available tomorrow.
>Certainly there will be some machines that sacrifice expandability for
>lower cost or smaller size. However, the trend is to make machines
>more expandable, not less. Machines without expandability end up
>landfills.

However, in the old one piece Mac, the hue and cry was: "This machine's got
to have slots!!" So they made a Mac with slots and nobody used more than
one. Now they have on-board video, so it's getting harder and harder to
find a Macintosh with anything in the slots.

But you make some excellent points in your post. I look forward to the
introduction of the Newton with its PCMCIA slot to see how the general
public and PCMCIA manufacturers and software companies are going to use it.

-Owen

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!jmilhoan Fri Jul 2 15:46:04 CDT 1993
Article: 1688 of comp.sys.pen
From: jmil...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (JT)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: PCMCIA - was Re: Plenty of questions about the Newton!
Date: 2 Jul 1993 20:05:31 GMT

In article <bskendigC...@netcom.com> bske...@netcom.com (Brian
Kendig) writes:

>it; how can you get that software down to your Newton? I kinda doubt
>that the Newton will have a terminal emulator program. Will I only be

Well, a fax/modem is probably going to be offered either as standard
(doubt it) or at least an option. I don't know what the software is
going to do with it, but I'd imagine for it to be somewhat successful,
there will be a VT100 emulation mode.

>drive on a stack of PCMCIA cards? (What does PCMCIA stand for, anyway?)

PCMCIA = People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms. ;)

Seriously tho, I forget.

>bugs it will have (because it's 1.0)? Will it be just a glorified pad
>of paper unless I spend several hundred dollars more buying
>applications for it?

At first, probably. Later models, probably. ;)

JT

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!usc!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!decwrl!csus.edu!nic.csu.net!csun.edu!VCMG...@VAX.CSUN.EDU Sat Jul 3 16:16:31 CDT 1993
Article: 7838 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: SunDisk Card and Wear.EXE
From: vcmg...@VAX.CSUN.EDU
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1993 20:14:40 GMT
Sender: use...@huey.csun.edu

As mentioned before, SunDisk has a program that would help users to do
wear leveling. CIS SunDisk forum also has a file called WEAR.EXE. But
no other instructions seem to be available. Wonder if other netters have
more knowledge about using this program.

TIA

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!sdd.hp.com!hp-cv!hp-pcd!hpcvra!lorenh Tue Jul 6 13:31:20 CDT 1993
Article: 7877 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: lor...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com (Loren Heisey)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1993 17:43:17 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops

>>Both the HP100LX and OmniBook 300 provide a utility program that the user
>>can run to do the wear leveling. With the OmniBook it is in the system ROM.
>>For the HP100 it comes on the floppy that has the Sundisk driver.
>
>I never received a floppy with my HP100LX. Where I can get a copy of the
>software? I have a SunDisk card designed for HP95LX.

The floppy comes with the Sundisk cards, not with the HP palmtops. You
might check with Sundisk about availability of a wear utility for the
HP95LX type Sundisk cards. Sundisk's number is 408-562-0500.

--
Loren Heisey
Internet: lor...@hpcvra.cv.hp.com
UUCP : {decwrl|rutgers|ucbvax}!hplabs!hp-pcd!lorenh

From uwm.edu!wupost!decwrl!decwrl!csus.edu!nic.csu.net!csun.edu!VCMG...@VAX.CSUN.EDU Wed Jul 7 23:24:55 CDT 1993
Article: 7908 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: SRAM Card For Sale
From: vcmg...@VAX.CSUN.EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1993 01:06:09 GMT
Sender: use...@huey.csun.edu

Have an 1MB SRAM card by Sparcom for sale. About one year old. Don't
need it any more since I have an HP100LX with a Flash card. Please
e-mail with your offer. I would like to sell it at $100.00.

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!usc!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!decwrl!koriel!news2me.EBay.Sun.COM!exodus.Eng.Sun.COM!sun!amdcad!dvorak.amd.com!tdbear Thu Jul 8 00:54:07 CDT 1993
Article: 11779 of comp.sys.laptops
From: tdb...@dvorak.amd.com (Tom Barrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: MegaHertz PCMCIA Modems: EEK! Rockwell MCUs?
Date: 7 Jul 93 21:09:25 GMT

In case you are in the market for a PCMCIA modem... you might want to
wait on buying a MegaHertz one (the one with the cute little pop-out
phone jack). One of my peers here bought one and quickly discovered
that it used the Rockwell MCU which has "speed buffering" and not a
16550AFN interface. MegaHertz was a little surprised when we told
them that their modem was dropping characters supposedly because
interrupt overrun... "But it has a 1K buffer," they replied. Fine,
but it interrupts on each character.

One way around the problem might be to rewrite the driver to just
empty the buffer on each interrupt (instead of using the 16450
compatible driver). This should give a reasonable effect of
simulating the 550, but still isn't compatible with anything.

Tom

--
|Tom Barrett, Sr. Engr., SysArch Research | 1-800-538-8450, ext. 56856 |
|AMD PCD MS-520|5900 E. Ben White|Austin, TX 78741|tom.b...@amd.com|

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!darwin.sura.net!udel!news.intercon.com!panix!not-for-mail Thu Jul 8 00:54:20 CDT 1993
Article: 11780 of comp.sys.laptops
From: schu...@panix.com (Michael Schuster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: MegaHertz PCMCIA Modems: EEK! Rockwell MCUs?
Date: 7 Jul 1993 18:33:48 -0400

In article <1993Jul7.2...@dvorak.amd.com> tdb...@dvorak.amd.com (Tom Barrett) writes:
>In case you are in the market for a PCMCIA modem... you might want to
>wait on buying a MegaHertz one (the one with the cute little pop-out
>phone jack). One of my peers here bought one and quickly discovered
>that it used the Rockwell MCU which has "speed buffering" and not a
>16550AFN interface. MegaHertz was a little surprised when we told
>them that their modem was dropping characters supposedly because
>interrupt overrun... "But it has a 1K buffer," they replied. Fine,
>but it interrupts on each character.
>
>One way around the problem might be to rewrite the driver to just
>empty the buffer on each interrupt (instead of using the 16450
>compatible driver). This should give a reasonable effect of
>simulating the 550, but still isn't compatible with anything.

This, and the fact they they had buggy rom code (the modem disappears
from time to time) and no flash EPROM, was the reason I went for the
AT&T KeepInTouch card.

Solid modem. Flash EPROM for instant updates. No bugs found.

--
Mike Schuster | schu...@panix.com | 70346...@CompuServe.COM
------------------- | schu...@shell.portal.com | GEnie: MSCHUSTER

From uwm.edu!wupost!usc!nic.csu.net!csun.edu!VCMG...@VAX.CSUN.EDU Thu Jul 8 14:19:18 CDT 1993
Article: 7912 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Formatting SunDisk Card on HP100LX
From: vcmg...@VAX.CSUN.EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1993 07:26:22 GMT
Sender: use...@huey.csun.edu

The SunDisk card for HP95LX, as shipped, is formatted with 4096 bytes
size cluster. This can result in waste of disk spaces when there are
a large number of small files.

I am wondering if it's OK to format the SunDisk card on HP100LX using the
format command there. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA.

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!world!mgitlitz Thu Jul 8 14:32:47 CDT 1993
Article: 7919 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
From: mgit...@world.std.com (Mark E Gitlitz)
Subject: Re: Formatting SunDisk Card on HP100LX
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1993 11:52:07 GMT

vcmg...@VAX.CSUN.EDU wrote:
: I am wondering if it's OK to format the SunDisk card on HP100LX using the
: format command there. Any advice would be appreciated.
I've done it with no problem. If you run stacker the cluster size is 512,
which is obviously much more efficient for the small files on the 95/100.

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!sdd.hp.com!col.hp.com!fc.hp.com!sde.hp.com!diamant Tue Jul 13 15:01:37 CDT 1993
Article: 8013 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: dia...@sde.hp.com (John Diamant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Date: 13 Jul 1993 17:43:50 GMT

Mark E Gitlitz (mgit...@world.std.com) wrote:
> vcmg...@VAX.CSUN.EDU wrote:
> : I am wondering if it's OK to format the SunDisk card on HP100LX using the
> : format command there. Any advice would be appreciated.
> I've done it with no problem. If you run stacker the cluster size is 512,
> which is obviously much more efficient for the small files on the 95/100.

I have stacker that came with my Sundisk card for the HP95LX and check
identifies it as having 8192 bytes per cluster, not 512 bytes per
cluster. Did you install stacker yourself, or did you get it
preinstalled from Sundisk? Did they change their pre-installed cluster size?

Thanks,

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co. ARPA Internet: dia...@fc.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO UUCP: {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement
by, the Hewlett-Packard Company. The above data is provided for informational
purposes only. It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!netsys!nlbbs!news Tue Jul 13 18:27:47 CDT 1993
Article: 8017 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ga...@nlbbs.com (Gary Kaufman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: HP95LX Flash Ram Card Drivers Needed
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 93 14:18:57 GMT

I purchased a HP95LX along with a Intel/EXCA Series2 4Mbyte Flash Memory
Card thru the network. Unfortunately the seller can't locate any drivers
for the 4mb Flash Ram Card. HP doesn't have any information, and Intel was
less than helpful.

Anyone have a set of drivers for the HP95? or know where they can be
purchased? Will the SunDisk or ACE driver work with the Intel Card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Gary

--
Gary Kaufman | -=- |
24 Morning Street | ga...@nlbbs.com | (207) 772 - 1786

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!decwrl!csus.edu!nic.csu.net!csun.edu!VCMG...@VAX.CSUN.EDU Tue Jul 13 21:35:03 CDT 1993
Article: 8025 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: HP95LX Flash Ram Card Drivers Needed
From: vcmg...@VAX.CSUN.EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 00:01:25 GMT
Sender: use...@huey.csun.edu

SunDisk should have its driver software on CompuServe in the SunDisk Forum.

I don't have knowledge, however, regarding its usability on your card. Your
best bet is the original owner (who should've transferred a copy of the
driver file to you).f

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!sdd.hp.com!hpscit.sc.hp.com!hplextra!hpcss01!hpindda!uppal Wed Jul 14 09:58:28 CDT 1993
Article: 11861 of comp.sys.laptops
From: up...@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Sanjay Uppal)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1993 06:23:41 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops

I've been using a CC3144 (14.4 FAX/Data) modem from Megahertz for all
of 4 hours now without any overrun problems. The manual is poor
and so is the usability of the bundled software. The hardware
works well enough.

I would be interested in finding out information of competing products
from Toshiba and AT&T (PCMCIA modems, that is).

Sanjay Uppal

From uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!darwin.sura.net!udel!news.intercon.com!panix!not-for-mail Wed Jul 14 09:58:37 CDT 1993
Article: 11863 of comp.sys.laptops
From: schu...@panix.com (Michael Schuster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Date: 12 Jul 1993 18:16:40 -0400

In article <4181...@hpindda.cup.hp.com> up...@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Sanjay Uppal) writes:
>I've been using a CC3144 (14.4 FAX/Data) modem from Megahertz for all
>of 4 hours now without any overrun problems. The manual is poor
>and so is the usability of the bundled software. The hardware
>works well enough.
>
>I would be interested in finding out information of competing products
>from Toshiba and AT&T (PCMCIA modems, that is).

I've had the AT&T product for a few months. Solid. What would you like to
know?

Standard AMP connector with external line access module.
16550A UART.
Flash EPROM for field firmware updates.

--
Mike Schuster | schu...@panix.com | 70346...@CompuServe.COM
------------------- | schu...@shell.portal.com | GEnie: MSCHUSTER

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!xlink.net!fauern!cs.tu-berlin.de!elwood!jensd Wed Jul 14 12:56:27 CDT 1993
Article: 8042 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
From: je...@prz.tu-berlin.de (Jens Dengler)
Subject: Re: Sharp PC-3x00 Extreme power drain ?
Sender: ne...@prz.tu-berlin.de (Newsadmin Elwood-PRZ)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 14:38:13 GMT

>The set of batteries that come with the PC-3000 may not have been fresh.
>My PC-3000 needed an initial refresh after some 4 hours, but I've worked it
>for some 15 hours since.... I.e. don't see the problem.

I bought my PC-3000 with total empty batteries and thought the unit is
broken, because also changing the batteries with NiCads brought no life
to it. The next Monday morning I bought new Alcalines and after I found
the little reset-switch on the button it worked fine. But my first set
of Alcalines only lasts for a week, the second, after I bought the AC-adapter,
worked for 10 days.

The solution was to replace the Lithium although no "Low Power on
Backup Battery" was given. Now a set of Alcalines works for more than
a month with heavy use - sometimes on the AC-adapter, sometimes without.

>>..No chance of saving any data before
>
>Even with total switch-off due to lack of power, the PC-3x00 will
> NOT LOOSE DATA
>simply observe the rules for battery replacement
> - Never remove batteries with power on
> - Never remove main AND lithium batteries together
>(Like it says on the sticker)

It would be fine if it were so simple. But my PC-3000 have the notorious
tendency to totally reset if the power gets low without any warning.
I've typed my address book three times. Now I've all my data on a PCMCIA
card and don't use the other RAM. Only the Joblist is lost on the next
reset.

>>I was told ..
>People are being told many things by sales people ... My reasoning is
>usually that if it's an odd problem, and they would 'really' know what's
>behind the problem..... They probably wouldn't be sales people..
>>that there were already several cases where this
>>occured and always (also for my Sharp) there was a strange whistling
>>noise getting louder.
>The whistling/hissing sound has been explained on this newsgroup as being
>sounds from the AC-AC adapter. It goes away when key-pressed (power save mode?)
>and also when you are using an AC adapter.

AC adapter? Key-pressed??? I always noticing the hissing sound when there is
*NO* (in digits: 0) AC adapter is attached. And its loudest if I *PRESS* and
hold a key (for instance FN). I can live with it. I've heard that
this is not only a problem of the Sharp, the hissing sound also appears
on some HP95xx.

>Well Dirk, I can't really judge from here, but it seems to me that you
>have returned a wonderful piece of equipment for not a good reason.
>My little machine works very nicely, and up till now has not lost any data.

Lucky you.

But I also think that for it's time the Sharp is/was a good piece of
equipment. I've bought it because although announced on the end of 1992
there was no Newton avaiable. My opinion now is that with its fine keyboard
the PC-3000 is even better for work like protocolling or noting ideas
than one of the pen based things. I would always prefer it against the
HPs because of its keyboard, of its readable 80x24 display and its two
PCMCIA slots. Sadly I gave up my hope ever getting a 20MB PCMCIA card to
access acronym dictionaries, play nethack, have the microEmacs on it,
see the star constellations with SkyGlobe, have a german-english dictionary
on it, use a good spreadsheet on it, or play some of the simple CGA
games... everything without uploading the software with the Nullmodem.
(ARRG, Digger don't work - the Sharp always hangs up when it
come to the second level! And my other PC is a 486/50MHz, Digger on it
is 2fast4me!)

From uwm.edu!psuvax1!psuvm!guf Wed Jul 14 16:57:47 CDT 1993
Article: 8047 of comp.sys.palmtops
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 17:50:27 EDT
From: <G...@psuvm.psu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: FOR SALE- 2, 64K Poqet SRAMS

I have two 64K - 3 volt - original Poqet SRAMS for sale, $15 each or both
for $25, postpaid. Gil Gall (g...@psuvm.psu.edu)

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Thu Jul 15 13:05:17 CDT 1993
Article: 8056 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Date: 15 Jul 1993 15:14:52 GMT

In article <223fqu$4...@mailgzrz.TU-Berlin.DE> je...@cs.tu-berlin.de (Jens Dengler) writes:
>Surely, but multiply 10 2MB cards (don't know the actual price, but
>my last known price was DM 695,-- *10= nearly DM 7000 or $4117) or 40 512KB

Typically for any storage medium, including PCMCIA, the larger the
storage, the lower the byte cost. It's not entirely reasonable to
extrapolate the price of a 20MB device from the price of multiple
smaller devices.

>are really incredible! Despite of $5176 or $4117, $1000 is also high
>above anything acceptable if you want to buy it as an everyday product.
>And my knowledge of 20MB cards is that they are not PCMCIA I anymore.

A $1000 is a good price, SunDisk sells a PCMCIA 20MB flash memory card
for around $1200. Flash memory and SRAM will probably always be more
expensive than magnetic disk storage, on the other hand, disk storage
will probably consume more power and be less durable . Soon Maxtor
will release it's PCMCIA Release 2.0 Type III 105MB hard drive for
about $500. There aren't any palmtops that can use this drive
however.

When you write "PCMCIA I" do you mean Type I or Release 1.0? The
SunDisk cards seem to all be Type II, the standard 12 volt cards seem
to be Release 1.0.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!caen!uunet!noc.near.net!howland.reston.ans.net!newsserver.jvnc.net!rutgers!cbmvax!darren Thu Jul 15 22:02:05 CDT 1993
Article: 501457 of junk
From: dar...@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald)
Newsgroups: alt.periphs.pcmcia
Subject: Re: How to detect PCMCIA cards ?
Date: 14 Jul 93 14:47:37 GMT

In article <CA13p...@csn.org> do...@teal.csn.org (Douglas McCallum) writes:
>In article <BREZAK.93...@york.osf.org> bre...@york.osf.org (John Brezak) writes:
>>How do you go about identifying PCMCIA cards in a system ? I'm trying to
>>write some Unix drivers to support PCMCIA devices and I want to find
>>out what devices are present.
>
>You need to get a copy of the PCMCIA specification. There is a section
>that describes the CIS (Card Information Structure) which provides most
>of the characteristics of cards installed in a system.
>
>Essentially, the CIS is in either Attribute Memory or Common Memory (or both)
>and is a list of informational tuples. The format is pretty simple with
>a type, a length and data. Parsing the information is straightforward from
>the spec, but there are lots of tuples not yet defined. Some early cards
>(mostly RAM cards) don't have any CIS information at all.

Should be, though there are a lot of exceptional cases. The Amiga
implementation provides tuple searching/reading as a function so
that each developer does not have to duplicate this code.

Examples of exceptions to note are:

1.) Some MS-DOS implementations completely ignore tuples, yet may
contain disk data. This exception is mentioned in the spec.

2.) At least one implementation just writes the CIS to attribute
memory and common memory, assuming the card has 16 bytes of real
attribute memory. The result is they overwrite the DEVICE tuple, and
long link to common memory. Since the implementation just writes
the CIS, but does not read it, you have to guess at device type
(Amiga assumes SRAM for that case if the FORMAT typle is found in
common memory).

3.) Device tuples can be short, providing no size byte (e.g., IO
cards).

4.) Some cards have an eprom option for attribute memory, but without
it, you get junk if you read or write attribute memory space (which
you have to do). Better hope you don't get what looks like a device
tuple :-) Actually the one card like that that we have reads back
$FF's, and ignores writes. I had to put a work around in to allow
for a device tuple in common memory following a CISTPL_LINKTARGET
tuple in common memory so taht you can write a device tuple somewhere
on the card.

5.) Not all vendors can read disk-like cards you format. MS-DOS
implementations commonly do not support tuples, or get confused
if you do things like write non-0 offset links to common memory
(something you have to do for overlapped attribute/common memory
cards).

So there ya go, its reasonably straight forward, but ... reasonable
to expect a lot of misinterpretation, or laziness too.

Darren M. Greenwald | Commodore-Amiga Software Engineering
| E-MAIL: dar...@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
| UUCP: ...!rutgers!cbmvax!darren
Quote: "It would be impossible to discuss the subject without
a common frame of reference." - Spock

From uwm.edu!rutgers!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!netsys!nlbbs!news Thu Jul 15 22:14:58 CDT 1993
Article: 502969 of junk
From: ga...@nlbbs.com (Gary Kaufman)
Newsgroups: misc.forsale.computers
Subject: PCMCIA SRAM card wanted
Date: 16 Jul 93 00:08:18 GMT

I recently ended up with an Intel FLASH 4MByte Memory Card (PCMCIA)
Series 2 Exchangeable Card Architecture which unfortunately won't
work with my HP95LX.

I'd like to sell it, or trade it with someone for a PCMCIA
SRAM card that will work with the HP95LX.

--
Gary Kaufman | -=- |
24 Morning Street | ga...@nlbbs.com | (207) 772 - 1786
Portland, ME 04101 | -=- |

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!bloom-beacon.mit.edu!cambridge-news.cygnus.com!dumb!eichin Sun Jul 18 13:04:47 CDT 1993
Article: 11953 of comp.sys.laptops
From: eic...@tweedledumber.cygnus.com (Mark Eichin)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,comp.sys.laptops,comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc
Subject: Re: Networking over parallel port
Date: 18 Jul 93 02:37:15

>> mucking with docking station, or PCMCIA (what is scene on drivers for
>> this?).
My boss just got the SOCKET Inc. PCMCIA ethernet adaptor
working under linux... their cards emulate an NE2000, so you just need
a little bit of code to enable the i/o port mapping and select
thinwire or UTP, and then fall through to the normal NE2000
configuration routine. (They also have a serial port and a GPS
receiver (still under development) on PCMCIA cards...)
It works fine, I got ftp speeds of 110Kbytes/second to 170K
bytes/second, which appeared to be disk bound (this is from a Dell
386SL/25.) [It's very weird to telnet into somebody's laptop :-)]

_Mark_ <eic...@athena.mit.edu>
MIT Student Information Processing Board
Cygnus Support <eic...@cygnus.com>

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!decwrl!koriel!west.West.Sun.COM!cronkite.Central.Sun.COM!sixgun.East.Sun.COM!seven-up.East.Sun.COM!dr-pepper.East.Sun.COM!pdp8!jdreyer Wed Jul 21 15:42:37 CDT 1993
Article: 8156 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: jdr...@pdp8.East.Sun.COM (Jon Dreyer, SunSelect PC Networking)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: source for SunDisk PCMCIA flash
Date: 21 Jul 1993 16:34:18 GMT

I have looked for a PCMCIA flash card for my HP100LX for a while.
Almost nobody has them in stock. J&R had the HP cards, but HP would
not let them sell to me because I'm not in their area.

So I finally called SunDisk, who told me that Seagate is their
distributor, and Seagate in turn sent me to Reveal Computer Products.
They had (at least) the SunDisk 12V cards available, with the following
prices: 10M $705, 14M $840, 20M $1132. I think they also had 5V
cards. Because their end user operation is new, they can't take Visa,
but they will take a certified check or COD. I don't know about a PO.

I felt pretty nervous about sending that certified check, but I have
the disk now and am a happy camper.

Here's how to reach them:

Barry Tharp
Reveal Computer Products
6045 Variel Ave
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

800-669-3509

I have no connection with Reveal, Seagate or SunDisk except as a happy
customer, and I am not speaking for my employer.

---

(un Jon Dreyer SunSelect (no relation to SunDisk)
) ( jon.d...@east.sun.com 5 Omni Way
un) "I have no claim." Chelmsford MA 01824-4141

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Thu Jul 22 17:50:40 CDT 1993
Article: 1890 of comp.sys.pen
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: Re: QUESTIONS: Newton PCMCIA Card Usage w/ 3rd party software
Date: 22 Jul 1993 19:10:12 GMT

In article <CAKIG...@cbfsb.cb.att.com> k...@cbnewsf.cb.att.com (kevin.hennessy) writes:
> Is this "standard" for the bus connector only or does it include physical
> card size too?

Connector, interface, voltage, power, size, and many other things.

> How Small or Big (memory wise) can a PCMCIA ROM Card be (32K to 2MB)?

PCMCIA memory cards are limited to 64MB. PCMCIA I/O cards have no
upper limit to storage any more than SCSI or IDE is limited.

> How expensive of a software distribution media is this?

1MB SRAM cards are about $200 now. One Time Programmable cards are
cheaper, and mask ROM cheaper yet. Prices vary a lot based on
quantity.

> I recall the Casio and Sharp memory and "feature" cards were +$50 and
> seem to be less than 128K in storage size.

Proprietary systems will tend to be expensive regardless of the acutual
costs involved.

> Are there any mass-production duplicating services for these Cards?

Yes, mask ROM chips are made an entire wafer at a time. Contact any of
the OTP or mask ROM companies listed in the file available via
anonymous ftp csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables/pcmcia.devices.

> Could you download to the Newton over IR/Modem/AppleTalk and then load a
> "generic" PCMCIA ROM/EPROM Card for long-term storage?

ROM cards aren't generally writable except for OTP ROM. There are no
EPROM PCMCIA cards that I know of. Flash memory and SRAM cards are
quite common and writable. I would certainly hope that software or any
other data could be written to a PCMCIA card.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!linac!uchinews!ncar!noao!procyon!bull Thu Jul 22 21:31:20 CDT 1993
Article: 12047 of comp.sys.laptops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
From: bu...@procyon.tuc.noao.edu (Frank Bull/Gemini 8m)
Subject: Toshiba line adapter module
Sender: ne...@noao.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 16:17:36 GMT

I need a source of the line adapter module for the Toshiba T24M PCMCIA
modem. The pins where it connects with the modem have broken off. Our
local computer stores claim I would have to buy an entire modem to get
the adapter module. Who makes these modems for Toshiba?

--
Frank Bull (602) 325-9208 |Internet: bu...@noao.edu
Gemini 8 Meter Telescopes Project |CompuServe 75270,1166

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!world!rogerw Fri Jul 23 20:59:19 CDT 1993
Article: 12090 of comp.sys.laptops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
From: rog...@world.std.com (Roger A Williams)
Subject: New PCMCIA SCSI, Modem Sources
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1993 00:52:20 GMT

A couple of new PCMCIA type II cards sources:

SmartExchange 9624 Fax/Modem
SmartExchange 9624E Fax/Modem
SmartExchange 1414 Fax/Modem

(Don't know much about them, but prices seem good.)

Smart Modular Technologies,
45531 Northport Loop West,
Fremont, CA 94538
Tel 800-536-1231, 510-623-1231
Fax 510-623-1434

SCSI Platinum Access Card
(SCSI-2, based on 25 MHz 53C406; includes DOS & Windoze drivers.)

American Megatrends Inc (AMI),
6145F Northbelt Parkway,
Norcross, GA 30071
Tel 404-263-8181

Roger Williams | "Most great discoveries are made
rog...@world.std.com | by accident: the larger the
consulting engineer | funding, the longer it takes to
Middleborough, Mass. | have that accident."

From uwm.edu!wupost!howland.reston.ans.net!newsserver.jvnc.net!yale.edu!cs.yale.edu!wcsub.ctstateu.edu!ritterbus001 Sat Jul 24 22:30:32 CDT 1993
Article: 1901 of comp.sys.pen
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen,alt.msdos.programmer
From: ritter...@wcsub.ctstateu.edu
Subject: Q: Need help on PCMCIA SunDisk
Sender: ne...@cs.yale.edu (Usenet News)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1993 01:06:17 GMT

Hello, Cyberspacecadets,

I am having a bit of a problem with my PCMCIA compatable 2MB SunDisk card.
It works fine in my GRiD PalmPad, as a C: disk (after I had run FDISK
and FORMAT on it.)

However, when I transferred it to my HP95LX and try to read it as an
A: disk, I get a "General Failure Reading Drive A". So I moved it
back to the GRiD, deleted all of the data, ran FDISK and deleted the
active DOS partition (the only partition), and transferred it back
to the HP95LX.

Now, when I try to run FORMAT on the HP, I get a "Write Protect Error."
Does anybody have any suggestions to help me out? I am obviously not
terribly familiar with the workings of the SunDisk, so any help would
be appreciated.

(So much for PCMCIA compatability standards :-)

Jim Ritterbusch
ritter...@wcsu.ctstateu.edu - or - ne...@radiomail.net (temp, rf)
There is an art, the Guide says, or rather a knack to flying. The
knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Sat Jul 24 23:38:48 CDT 1993
Article: 1902 of comp.sys.pen
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Date: 25 Jul 1993 02:32:30 GMT

In article <CAnnp...@NCoast.ORG> dav...@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:

>software to run. For example, if you have a card in the HP95 and copy the
>software into the RAM disk, you won't be able to run it from the RAM disk
>if the ROM card is removed. This basically eliminates 90% of the "harmfull"

This isn't true with all 95 ROM software. Derive ROM card software for
example will work fine on any MS-DOS machine. On the other hand the HP
Dictionary/Thesaurus card software can't even be copied as most of it
resides outside the card filesystem as XIP (eXecute In Place) code.
This helps conserve RAM, but is very frustrating for people who have
RAM to spare, but not PCMCIA slots. At one time XIP cards seemed to be
a great idea, but now I don't think they are worth the bother for most
applications. It resembles copy protection too much and could end up
dying along with it.

> I am sure they would give you plenty of info if you showed them your
>$1 mil. + checkbook and a solid design plan for a product. The only reason

This sort of thing will keep cheap/free Newton software off the
market. Software elsewhere flourishes because anyone with a few
hundred dollars can buy a compiler and development system. People are
begging to write Newton software and Apple doesn't seem to care. I
hope they change.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Sun Jul 25 00:00:57 CDT 1993
Article: 1904 of comp.sys.pen
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen,alt.msdos.programmer
Subject: Re: Q: Need help on PCMCIA SunDisk
Date: 25 Jul 1993 03:30:05 GMT

In article <1993Jul24...@wcsub.ctstateu.edu> ritter...@wcsub.ctstateu.edu writes:
>I am having a bit of a problem with my PCMCIA compatable 2MB SunDisk card.
>It works fine in my GRiD PalmPad, as a C: disk (after I had run FDISK
>and FORMAT on it.)
>
>However, when I transferred it to my HP95LX and try to read it as an
>A: disk, I get a "General Failure Reading Drive A". So I moved it

Is that a 12 volt or a 5 volt card? The HP-95LX cannot generate the
needed 12 volts to write to standard 12 volt flash memory cards.
SunDisk has special, non-standard 5 volt flash memory cards and drivers
for use on the 95. SunDisk may or may not be able to provide you with
drivers if you have a 5 volt card. The 95 may or may not be able to
read a 12 volt card at all.

>(So much for PCMCIA compatability standards :-)

The HP-95LX has no built in software or hardware support for flash
memory so I'm not surprised it doesn't work. However, the newer
HP-100LX does.

Please let us know what happens, I'm quite curious.

By the way, most HP-95LX traffic is in comp.sys.palmtops. The
alt.periphs.pcmcia group has some traffic, but it seems to be poorly
distributed.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!not-for-mail Tue Jul 27 00:46:06 CDT 1993
Article: 12137 of comp.sys.laptops
From: 76702...@CompuServe.COM (Jim Rohrer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Toshiba T24M LAM
Date: 26 Jul 1993 16:54:16 -0500
Sender: dae...@cs.utexas.edu

Frank Bull writes:
>>I need a source of the line adapter module for the Toshiba T24M....

That modem is OEM'd from Intel, but I believe you can get a replacement LAM
through our service department. Call 800-999-4273 (press `1' at the first
prompt followed by `6' at the next) to speak with one of their Customer
Service Reps.

-Jim

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\-----\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
Jim Rohrer \ |\ \ Toshiba America Information Systems
CompuServe: 76702,1300 \-\o\-\ Computer Systems Division
BBS: 714-837-4408 (N-8-1) \ \| \ (714) 583-3000
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\-----\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

From uwm.edu!spool.mu.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!convex!constellation!essex.ecn.uoknor.edu!news Wed Jul 28 12:42:07 CDT 1993
Article: 8292 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: jah...@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (Jud Ahern)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: HP95/100 flashcard info
Date: 28 Jul 1993 15:50:45 GMT
Sender: jah...@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu
Originator: ne...@essex.ecn.uoknor.edu

I called Educalc to order a 5 meg flashcard for my HP100. In their
catalog I noticed they showed $479 card "for HP100 only" and a
$499 card in the HP95 accessories section. "How come?" I asked. The
salesperson explained that the 95 uses 5v cards only. The 100 can
use either the 5v or the 12v. She also said the 12v runs faster in
the 100 than the 5v, so unless you need the card to work in both a
95 and a 100 (or only in 95s, of course), you should get the 12v
card. Besides, me thinks, it is $20 cheaper!

Thought enquiring minds would want to know (I didn't see this in the
FAQ). If anybody knows why this might not be true, let them come
forward now or forever hold their...

| Jud Ahern KC5RI Internet: jah...@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu |
| Geology & Geophysics Bitnet: jah...@uokgcn.bitnet |
| University of Oklahoma "Opinions expressed here reflect the entire|
| Norman, OK 73019 University, in one convenient location." |

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Jul 28 12:46:35 CDT 1993
Article: 8293 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops,misc.forsale
Subject: Re: Zeos PPC RamCards
Date: 28 Jul 1993 16:26:20 GMT

In article <rlion.743195956@access> rl...@access.digex.net (Rebel Lion) writes:
>I have the Zeos Pocket PC and am looking for a Used 1meg (or more)
>RAM Card. I don't want to pay the $199 street price for the ram

Nevada Computer has 1MB PCMCIA SRAM cards for $148. Memory Card
Associates has 1MB PCMCIA 3 volt SRAM cards suitable for Fujitsu Poqet
PC's and other machines for $165.

Nevada Computer
684 Wells Road
Boulder City, NV 89005
800-982-2924
702-294-0204
702-294-1168 fax

Memory Card Associates
1600 Wyatt Avenue, Suite 9
Santa Clara, CA 95054
800-949-7256
408-732-2550
408-970-8424 fax

Disclaimer:
Mention of any businesses here does not imply endorsement by CSD, UWM,
the State of Wisconsin, or me for that matter. This is provided for
informational purposes only.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Jul 28 16:30:07 CDT 1993
Article: 8297 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: HP95/100 flashcard info
Date: 28 Jul 1993 17:46:24 GMT

In article <23678l$m...@constellation.ecn.uoknor.edu> jah...@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu writes:

>salesperson explained that the 95 uses 5v cards only. The 100 can
>use either the 5v or the 12v. She also said the 12v runs faster in

It's true as far as I know, although I wasn't aware that 12 volt cards
could be faster. It's not in the FAQ because the current FAQ is from
December 1992, which is before flash memory cards were available for
the HP-95LX. The next release will have this information. This
information can be found in the "pcmcia.compatibility" file at
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!mcsun!uknet!bradford.ac.uk!M.T.Shipley Wed Jul 28 16:31:40 CDT 1993
Article: 8302 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
From: M.T.S...@bradford.ac.uk (MT SHIPLEY)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 18:46:15 GMT

Anthony J Stieber (ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu) wrote:
: In article <23678l$m...@constellation.ecn.uoknor.edu> jah...@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu writes:

: >salesperson explained that the 95 uses 5v cards only. The 100 can
: >use either the 5v or the 12v. She also said the 12v runs faster in

: It's true as far as I know, although I wasn't aware that 12 volt cards
: could be faster. It's not in the FAQ because the current FAQ is from
: December 1992, which is before flash memory cards were available for
: the HP-95LX. The next release will have this information. This
: information can be found in the "pcmcia.compatibility" file at
: csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables.

three times faster according to Mark Scardina in "HP Palmtop Paper",
May/June 1993.

Martin

: --
: <-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!sdd.hp.com!hpscit.sc.hp.com!news.dtc.hp.com!col.hp.com!fc.hp.com!sde.hp.com!diamant Wed Jul 28 17:33:10 CDT 1993
Article: 8305 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: dia...@sde.hp.com (John Diamant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Date: 28 Jul 1993 19:29:29 GMT

Jud Ahern (jah...@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu) wrote:
> I called Educalc to order a 5 meg flashcard for my HP100. In their
> catalog I noticed they showed $479 card "for HP100 only" and a
> $499 card in the HP95 accessories section. "How come?" I asked. The
> salesperson explained that the 95 uses 5v cards only. The 100 can
> use either the 5v or the 12v. She also said the 12v runs faster in
> the 100 than the 5v, so unless you need the card to work in both a
> 95 and a 100 (or only in 95s, of course), you should get the 12v
> card. Besides, me thinks, it is $20 cheaper!

I have heard the same from Sundisk. Note that the faster cards also
draw more power so the 95-only card, while slower, should yield a longer
battery life in the 100LX.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co. ARPA Internet: dia...@fc.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO UUCP: {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement
by, the Hewlett-Packard Company. The above data is provided for informational
purposes only. It is supplied without warranty of any kind. I do not
work for the division in HP which makes the palmtop products. My only
connection is as an owner of a 95LX and a 5v flash card.

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!darwin.sura.net!haven.umd.edu!uunet!olivea!flash!donh Wed Aug 4 20:35:18 CDT 1993
Article: 2132 of comp.sys.pen
From: do...@flash.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Don Herrick)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: PCMCIA slot
Date: 5 Aug 1993 01:04:39 GMT

And san...@newton.apple.com (Kent Sandvik) checks the specs:

> I checked the specs, the Newton MessagePad has PCMCIA 2.0, Type II.

First, let's get our nomenclature straight. Anthony is correct that the Type
refers only to physical size and in particular, the thickness (Type I - 3.3mm,
Type II - 5.0mm & Type III - 10.5mm). NOTE THE ROMAN NUMERALS! The Release
number, on the other hand, specifies the electrical interface, signal
definition, software, etc. Newton MessagePad has a Release 2.0 Type II slot.

Note that there is NO SUCH THING as a Type 2 (arabic number) slot, although
the Apple press release, PC Week articles, etc. incorrectly use this wording.
(Version 2.0 makes sense, and Rel. 2.01 is sometimes used but 2.01 is actually
only a typographical update to 2.0).

As noted by Anthony, HP and Sharp palmtops have Rel. 1.0 Type II slots, as does
our Olivetti Quaderno (The HP 100LX and Quaderno 33 have Rel. 2.0 Type II
slots). There is nothing "non-standard" about Rel. 1.0 Type II slots.
Remember, the only difference between Types is thickness. The thicker the
slot, the more devices can be supported. Rel. 1.0 Type II is perfectly normal
and found on standard products.

Don Herrick
Olivetti
... State run lotteries: think of them as tax breaks for the intelligent....
... - Evan Leibovitch ....

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!olivea!flash!donh Wed Aug 4 20:56:40 CDT 1993
Article: 2133 of comp.sys.pen
From: do...@flash.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Don Herrick)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: PCMCIA memory configuration
Date: 5 Aug 1993 01:08:15 GMT

and san...@newton.apple.com (Kent Sandvik) responds:

then dav...@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) wrote:

>> The only reason I am asking is that I am quite positive that I have
>> more info ready to cram into the MessagePad than even 640k can hold, let
>> alone 192k (or whatever), and I want to put something else in the PCMCIA
>> slot besides additional operating RAM.

and san...@newton.apple.com (Kent Sandvik) responds:

>You can't place operating RAM in a PCMCIA card, imagine what happens if
>the OS would place a lot of heaps in the card, and the end user would
>yank the card out...

First, I understand that the MessagePad will handle both static RAM (SRAM) and
Intel Flash PCMCIA cards, not just Flash cards. You want to say that any
memory cards conforming to PCMCIA release 1.0 or 2.0 should work.

Second, it is entirely possible to use the SRAM in a PCMCIA card as operating
RAM. Our new Quaderno 33 has an option in the BIOS enabling use of the PCMCIA
slot memory as system memory or as a media device. Of course, if the user
removes the card while the system is in operation it will fail. This should
come as no surprise to the user. The same thing would happen if he removed a
proprietary memory card or a fax/modem card.

Don Herrick
Olivetti

... State run lotteries: think of them as tax breaks for the intelligent....
... - Evan Leibovitch ....

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Aug 4 21:02:38 CDT 1993
Article: 2136 of comp.sys.pen
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: Re: Newton Press Release
Date: 5 Aug 1993 01:30:59 GMT

In article <CB4tz...@NCoast.ORG> dav...@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
> I kind of figued that if there WERE some systems that had slots such as
>that, it would have to be a non-standard system like the 95lx or 100. I will

The HP-95LX and Sharp machines have standard PCMCIA Release 1.0 Type II
slots, as does the Olivetti Quaderno. These slots work just fine for
standard SRAM and ROM cards. Any non-standard aspects of these
machines have little to do with their PCMCIA slots.

The SunDisk cards that work in the HP and Sharp machines are
non-standard PCMCIA devices. It's not the system that is non-standard
it's the card that works in a non-standard way.

I didn't mention the HP-100LX but since you bring it up it has a
standard PCMCIA Release 2.0 Type II slot. Modems work fine in this
machine, although battery life is short. Existing ethernet cards
apparently since they draw more power than two AA batteries can
provide.

>restate what I meant before: "I have not seen any *standard* systems that have
>Type 2 slots with Release 1 interfaces". Where *standard* is defined as something
>you might find on a notebook class machine, or one of these new "energy star"
>desktop systems that use PCMCIA cards for expansion.

That's an unusual definition of "standard". Is the Newton MessagePad
non-standard? It's neither a notebook nor a desktop.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Fri Aug 6 02:46:30 CDT 1993
Article: 2177 of comp.sys.pen
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: Re: Newton App and PCMCIA wishes
Date: 6 Aug 1993 07:04:23 GMT

In article <Aug05.000...@ief.itg.ti.com> j...@ief.itg.ti.com writes:
>Any scent of a PCMCIA sound card or MIDI card out there?

New Media makes the Info Blitz Multimedia Business Communication Card.
It's Microsoft MPC compatible and has a 32K x 8 audio buffer for
continuous sound recording and playback. It also has a modem that does
2400 bps data with MNP5/v.42bis and 9600bps fax. List price $299,
availability: 4 weeks.

Call them up and ask them if they plan on having Newton MessagePad
drivers.

New Media Corporation
Irvine Spectrum
15375 Barranca Pkwy, Building B-101
Irvine, CA 92718
800-453-0550
714-453-0100
714-453-0114 fax
714-453-0214 bbs

Socket Communications has a PCMCIA serial interface card. It might
support the MIDI baud rate.

Socket Communications
2501 Technology Drive
Hayward, CA 94545
800-552-3300
510-670-0300
510-670-0333 fax

Disclaimer:
Mention of any businesses here does not imply endorsement by CSD, UWM,
the State of Wisconsin, or me for that matter. This is provided for
informational purposes only. Not to be taken internally. Close cover
before striking. Your mileage will vary. This is a dramatic
re-enactment. These are trained professionals, don't do this at home.
No relation to persons living or dead. Not legal tender.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Mon Aug 9 17:31:51 CDT 1993
Article: 2301 of comp.sys.pen
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.pen
Subject: Re: NEWTON: MessagePad PCMCIA extender?
Date: 9 Aug 1993 21:35:00 GMT

In article <parkCBI...@netcom.com> pa...@netcom.com (Bill Park) writes:
>MessagePad's single slot. So, is it feasible to produce a PCMCIA
>extender for the MessagePad? That is, a device that plugs into the

This has come up before with other PCMCIA machines. Since PCMCIA is an
interface, not a bus, it can't be simply extended. There is the
DublHdr slot expander for the HP-95LX, however the HP is limited to
only 2MB standard memory devices anyway. It uses special software to
toggle an unused address line to allow two cards. A similar kluge
would be possible on a MessagePad, but since it's not a true extension
getting it to work with the MessageCard and other non-memory devices
could be a problem.

Since the MessagePad seems to fully support hot card swapping, a simple
switch box might a workable solution. Either an external control would
switch cards, a more sophisticated device might use a device driver. A
driver might poll cards to check card status. A quick and dirty
solution could even be completely mechanical. Whether or not this any
of this will work is dependent on the MessagePad's hot card swap
support. Hopefulling nothing worse than a "Please insert card"
confirmation slip would come up.

DublHdr 2 slot PCMCIA slot bus for HP-95LX
Interloop, Inc
706 Charcot Avenue
San Jose CA 95131
408-922-0520
408-922-0545 fax

Disclaimer:
Mention of any businesses here does not imply endorsement by CSD, UWM,
the State of Wisconsin, or me for that matter. This is provided for
informational purposes only. Not to be taken internally. Close cover
before striking. Your mileage will vary. This is a dramatic
re-enactment. These are trained professionals, don't do this at home.
No relation to persons living or dead. Not legal tender.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!agate!doc.ic.ac.uk!pipex!uunet!destroyer!news.itd.umich.edu!cw-u01.umd.umich.edu!adam Mon Aug 9 22:05:19 CDT 1993
Article: 12397 of comp.sys.laptops
From: ad...@cw-u01.umd.umich.edu (Adam Wilkinson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Which PCMCIA modems (14.4) have 16550 or similar?
Date: 9 Aug 1993 21:50:38 GMT

Ian Service (iser...@sw.stratus.com) wrote:
: Basically do the PMCIA internal modems avoid our old friend the windows problems
: with 8250, or do they have 8250 or 16450's?

It's a mixed bag at the moment. I think Apex makes one with a 16550, but
it wasn;t really impressive in overall throughput when I evaluated it.
Megahertz' XJACK uses a 16450, but they've done some stuff with the
buffering -- it performed like a 16550 under DesqView -- haven't tried
Windows. Megahertz will be updating the XJACK line to a 16550 UART in the
next month or so. From what I've heard, theyt may "slipstream" it in, ie.
realease it with the same model/part number (same price too!) as the
existing XJACK. Overall, I really like the XJACK (we're buying 800+ for
ThinkPad 720s) and MegaHertz has been great as a company. (IMHO)

Adam Lee Wilkinson * Just remember, no matter where you go,
ad...@tiamat.umd.umich.edu * there you are!
Compuserve: 75470,71 * - Buckaroo Bonzai

From uwm.edu!spool.mu.edu!nigel.msen.com!yale.edu!cmcl2!panix!not-for-mail Mon Aug 9 22:05:32 CDT 1993
Article: 12398 of comp.sys.laptops
From: schu...@panix.com (Michael Schuster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Date: 9 Aug 1993 19:15:12 -0400

In article <246fj3$6...@transfer.stratus.com> iser...@sw.stratus.com (Ian Service) writes:
>Basically do the PMCIA internal modems avoid our old friend the windows problems
>with 8250, or do they have 8250 or 16450's?

The AT&T KeepInTouch card has a 16550AF.
The Megahertz models use a kludged 16450 with buffer, which do NOT function
exactly like 16550's, and can cause compatibility problems.

--
Mike Schuster | schu...@panix.com | 70346...@CompuServe.COM
------------------- | schu...@shell.portal.com | GEnie: MSCHUSTER

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!darwin.sura.net!newsserver.jvnc.net!castor.hahnemann.edu!KR...@CVI.HAHNEMANN.EDU Tue Aug 10 10:37:35 CDT 1993
Article: 8467 of comp.sys.palmtops
From: kr...@CVI.HAHNEMANN.EDU
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: Re: Modem options for 100LX
Date: 10 Aug 1993 14:15:36 GMT

In article <jzweigCB...@netcom.com>, jzw...@netcom.com (Jon Zweig) writes:

WARNING!!!!

I have been unable to use the PCMCIA 2.0 Data/Fax modem from Megaherts
on the 100 LX. The Technical support from Mhz confirmed a firmware problem.

The modem must be sent back for update!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
J. Yasha Kresh, Ph.D. H H U U email: kr...@cvi.hahnemann.edu
Professor and Director H HH H U U voice: 215-762-1703
Cardiothoracic Research, H H U U U fax: 215-762-7222
Biophysics and Computing Likoff Cardiovascular Institute
__________________________________________|_____________________________________

From uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!agate!doc.ic.ac.uk!pipex!uunet!noc.near.net!pad-thai.aktis.com!usenet Tue Aug 10 18:37:18 CDT 1993
Article: 12440 of comp.sys.laptops
From: bja...@GZA.COM (Barry Jaspan)
Newsgroups: alt.periphs.pcmcia,comp.os.linux,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: How many PCMCIA slots
Date: 10 Aug 1993 22:11:46 GMT

In article <1993Aug10....@twg.com>, "David Herron" <da...@twg.com> writes:
|> I know there are SCSI & modem PCMCIA now. Are
|> any able to be used by Linux now? Can Linux use the flash cards at all?
|> Are there any audio PCMCIA cards now? Any of this going to happen in the
|> near future?

A modem by Megahertz and ethernet cards by D-Link and Socket Communications
work now. Each of these currently require a specific driver. To my
knowledge, no one has tried to get a flash memory card, scsi card, or audio
card (what is a pcmcia audio card?) to work.

I am working on quasi-generic PCMCIA support for Linux. It's moving along,
but slowly, because I have a real job. I might have an alpha version in a
couple weeks. It will be "quasi"-generic because PCMCIA cards do not appear
to have a sufficiently useful standard that everyone adheres to to make truly
generic support possible. Don't ask me for test versions, I'll announce it
when I'm ready.

|> How likely could Linux allow for removing interface cards while the OS
|> is up and running?

The code I am writing will recognize cards added and removed at runtime.
However, it will ultimately depend on whether the individual drivers can
handle it. For example, the serial device can have devices configured
dynamically, so modems will support hot changes. Currently, the network
device drivers cannot handle dynamic changes, so ethernet cards will have to
be present at boot time.

Note that, to my knowledge, all the Linux PCMCIA development done so far only
works with the Intel 82365SL PCIC controller. I think this is the most common
controller, but it is not universal; the Compudyne subnotebook, for one, uses
something else. Probably supporting other controllers won't be hard, but I
can't do the work without a machine to test it on.

--
Barry Jaspan, bja...@gza.com
Geer Zolot Associates

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Aug 11 00:27:07 CDT 1993
Article: 14355 of comp.sys.handhelds
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.laptops
Date: 10 Aug 1993 23:56:14 GMT

In article <1993Aug10....@twg.com> "David Herron" <da...@twg.com> writes:

>If memory expansion can go to 20 megs w/o using PCMCIA then you don't
>need a slot for that.

PCMCIA isn't generally used for system memory expansion. Most PCMCIA
memory cards are either battery backed SRAM (expensive) or flash memory
(high voltage write/erase, block erase). There is a seperate DRAM PCMCIA
standard in the works.

>Other uses I can see down the road are: SCSI, audio, modem, flash cards,
>cellular phone interface.

Generally both a modem and an external cellular phone interface are
needed to hook up a cellular phone. A few cellular phones have the
interface built in, even fewer have the modem built in as well.

>One factor is *availability*. I know there are SCSI & modem PCMCIA now. Are
>any able to be used by Linux now? Can Linux use the flash cards at all?

Flash memory is block eraseable, but byte writable and readable.
Generally a special file system is needed for flash memory to be
anything but read only. Microsoft has it's Flash File System, other
companies have their own solutions.

>Are there any audio PCMCIA cards now? Any of this going to happen in the
>near future?

New Media makes a modem card which incorporates MPC audio hardware, I
think the modem also has cellular phone support. If you use this or a
similar modem you'll only need slots for the modem, SCSI, ethernet, and
flash memory. The only machine I know of with four PCMCIA slots is the
Hewlett-Packard OmniBook 300. One slot is needed for the ROM BIOS, OS,
and applications, another slot is needed for either a hard drive (uses
up two slots) or flash memory (one slot).

I hope to see more machines like the OmniBook, the larger notebook
machines have the physical space for more PCMCIA slots and still have
addition space for a (possibly PCMCIA) hard drive. At least one
machine has a PCMCIA slot module that replaces the floppy drive.

My site doesn't have alt.periphs.pcmcia so I've had to delete it
from the subject line. Anyone for comp.periphs.pcmcia?
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!anthony Wed Aug 11 22:16:02 CDT 1993
Article: 14358 of comp.sys.handhelds
From: ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.laptops
Date: 11 Aug 1993 05:59:18 GMT

In article <249flk$8...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU> p...@athena.mit.edu (Howard Wei-Hao Pan) writes:
>Although you can't use PCMCIA DRAM cards right now for memory expansion, can't

As far as I know, there are no PCMCIA DRAM cards. There are DRAM cards
that might be the same physical size, or use the same connector, but
these aren't PCMCIA cards.

> In fact, given the price/MB for these PCMCIA DRAM cards versus how much it

PCMCIA SRAM cards are about $150 per megabyte. Most laptops have third
party boards for at least half this price per megabyte.

>would cost to get real memory expansion, it would seem like the PCMCIA path is
>a better way to go. The only problem right now is we don't have a driver for
>it, right?

I don't know of any machine that needs a device driver for ordinary
system DRAM. Rather, a machine needs the neccesary hardware to map the
DRAM into the right address area. This might involve software to
reconfigure the hardware.

A true PCMCIA DRAM standard is in the works, however, since PCMCIA is
currently limited to 16 bits, it's of limited use. Some sort of 32 bit
DRAM PC card standard is also in the works, this may or may not be an
extension of the PCMCIA DRAM standard.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

From uwm.edu!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!asuvax!ncar!csn!teal.csn.org!dougm Thu Aug 12 23:37:14 CDT 1993
Article: 12519 of comp.sys.laptops
Newsgroups: alt.periphs.pcmcia,comp.os.linux,comp.sys.laptops
From: do...@teal.csn.org (Douglas McCallum)
Sender: ne...@csn.org (news)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1993 01:51:42 GMT

In article <2496f2$1...@pad-thai.aktis.com> bja...@GZA.COM (Barry Jaspan) writes:
>A modem by Megahertz and ethernet cards by D-Link and Socket Communications
>work now. Each of these currently require a specific driver. To my
>knowledge, no one has tried to get a flash memory card, scsi card, or audio
>card (what is a pcmcia audio card?) to work.

New Media has something they call a multimedia card that supposedly
handles digital sound. There will likely be other digital sound cards
to appear before long. That's the only thing I can think of as an
"audio" card.

If you have the Socket Communications Ethernet card supported, it is
likely that a number of other cards are supported. All the ones that
claim to be NE-2000 compatible most likely come from the same design.

>I am working on quasi-generic PCMCIA support for Linux. It's moving along,
>but slowly, because I have a real job. I might have an alpha version in a
>couple weeks. It will be "quasi"-generic because PCMCIA cards do not appear
>to have a sufficiently useful standard that everyone adheres to to make truly
>generic support possible. Don't ask me for test versions, I'll announce it
>when I'm ready.

Except for RAM cards, what isn't standard? There is a very detailed spec
for what configuration a card has. For example, with a modem card, you
should be able to determine what features it has. With LAN cards, it
depends on whether the vendor is using the approved LAN tuple yet or
not to get some information, but the I/O addresses and vendor info are
usually there. You still need to have some specific drivers to deal
with differences between cards from different vendors for LAN cards.
This is the same as all other Ethernet cards for ISA, EISA, MCA, etc.

>The code I am writing will recognize cards added and removed at runtime.
>However, it will ultimately depend on whether the individual drivers can
>handle it. For example, the serial device can have devices configured
>dynamically, so modems will support hot changes. Currently, the network
>device drivers cannot handle dynamic changes, so ethernet cards will have to
>be present at boot time.

Some real interesting problems can come up :-)

>Note that, to my knowledge, all the Linux PCMCIA development done so far only
>works with the Intel 82365SL PCIC controller. I think this is the most common
>controller, but it is not universal; the Compudyne subnotebook, for one, uses
>something else. Probably supporting other controllers won't be hard, but I
>can't do the work without a machine to test it on.

The 82365 and some clones of it (like Toshiba) are probably the most common.
The next most is probably the Databook controllers. Cirrus Logic is
another one and it is very similar to the 82365 but has a couple of
differences. There are a few more but they seem to be a little less
common.

Doug McCallum
do...@csn.org

From uwm.edu!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!noc.near.net!pad-thai.aktis.com!usenet Fri Aug 13 20:35:08 CDT 1993
Article: 12535 of comp.sys.laptops
From: bja...@GZA.COM (Barry Jaspan)
Newsgroups: alt.periphs.pcmcia,comp.os.linux,comp.sys.laptops
Date: 13 Aug 1993 19:32:34 GMT

In article <CBoD6...@csn.org>, do...@teal.csn.org (Douglas McCallum) writes:
|> In article <2496f2$1...@pad-thai.aktis.com> bja...@GZA.COM (Barry Jaspan) writes:
|> >I am working on quasi-generic PCMCIA support for Linux...
|> >It will be "quasi"-generic because PCMCIA cards do not appear
|> >to have a sufficiently useful standard that everyone adheres to..
|>
|> Except for RAM cards, what isn't standard? There is a very detailed spec
|> for what configuration a card has.

First, the spec does not provide a way for a card to identity the kind of
device it is (modem, network, etc). As far as I can tell, a generic enabler
just has to know the manfucaturer/product name for every device it wants to
support, so it can tell what driver to attach to it. Alternatively, it could
make an educated guess based on the ports and memory ranges a card wants
mapped, but that seems like a rathole.

Second, not all cards adhere to the spec. The AT&T Paradyne Keep In Touch
Modem, for example, does not work when a correct value is written to Config
Register 0 and the appropriate IO ports are mapped. I don't know why, and
AT&T isn't being helpful.

|> With LAN cards, it
|> depends on whether the vendor is using the approved LAN tuple yet..

This points to the third problem, which is that the PCMCIA Standards document
is not complete. There seems to be a number of tuples that are not
documented. Perhaps full members get that information, but I can't afford to
spend $1,000+ on it ($250 was already more than I should have had to pay).

--
Barry Jaspan, bja...@gza.com
Geer Zolot Associates

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!olivea!inews.intel.com!xanadu!skishen Wed Aug 18 17:19:11 CDT 1993
Article: 5492 of comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
From: ski...@xanadu.intel.com (Sunil Kishen)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Subject: PCMCIA 10BT Lan Adapter cards
Date: 13 Aug 1993 20:30:10 GMT
Sender: skishen@xanadu (Sunil Kishen)

Hi,
I recently bought a AST Research Laptop along with a AST PCMCIA 10BT Lan
adapter card. Both are working fine. But, I noticed that the ethernet address
of the card shows up as 0:0:0:0:0:0 on the sniffer. I even tried another
card and the address is the same.

Could someone who has experience with this type of cards tell me why the
addresses has been set to 0. and how more than one card of this type could
work on the same net at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
Sunil.
--
---
Sunil Kishen Phone: (408) 765-6200

From uwm.edu!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!gatech!news-feed-2.peachnet.edu!concert!uvaarpa!gmuvax.gmu.edu!mason1.gmu.edu!ami Wed Aug 18 19:41:25 CDT 1993
Article: 8654 of comp.sys.palmtops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: FOR SALE: PCMCIA 1MB
From: a...@mason1.gmu.edu (AMIHAI MOTRO)
Date: 18 Aug 93 20:08:33 -0500

PCMCIA MEMORY CARDS FOR SALE

PCMCIA V2.0 1MB SRAM
Made by Control, purchased from Tote-a-Lap.
Practically new in the box.
Work perfectly on Sharp PC-3000 etc.

Going price (Tote-a-lap) $160
My price $125

Two available. Will pay shipping.

a...@gmu.edu

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!howland.reston.ans.net!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!news.kei.com!eddie.mit.edu!news.intercon.com!panix!not-for-mail Thu Aug 19 11:43:01 CDT 1993
Article: 12655 of comp.sys.laptops
From: schu...@panix.com (Michael Schuster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: T1900C vs. T4500C
Date: 18 Aug 1993 13:00:20 -0400

In article <16...@wa3wbu.uucp>, John Gayman <jo...@wa3wbu.UUCP> wrote:

> Soooo, after playing with both for hours I'm more confused than ever. :-)
>I'd be interested in hearing of any quirks with PCMCIA modems on
>Toshiba's. Which ever one I get I require some type of PCMCIA FAX/modem
>immediately. Confused....

I'm been using the AT&T KeepInTouch modem, marketed by Toshiba for the
interim, in a T3300SL (which has much more primitive firmware support
for PCMCIA than the models you're looking at). It works fine except
that there is no control for the modem in the ROM-based popup control
software like they say in the manual. But in a DOS or Windows environment
the modem configuration and control programs accomplish the task.
I've used in data and fax mode with numerous applications and there
is no weirdness.

--
Mike Schuster | schu...@panix.com | 70346...@CompuServe.COM
------------------- | schu...@shell.portal.com | GEnie: MSCHUSTER

From uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!asuvax!chnews!ornews.intel.com!ibeam!knauer Thu Aug 19 11:46:32 CDT 1993
Article: 12667 of comp.sys.laptops
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
From: kna...@ibeam.intel.com (Rob Knauerhase)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 00:56:26 GMT

In <16...@wa3wbu.UUCP> jo...@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> One thing which confused me was CompUSA had both machines advertised as
>having two PCMCIA slots. This was contrary to everything I've read about
>the two units.

They're mistaken, at least in the T4500 case. The T4500[C] has one PCMCIA
slot and one similar-looking but Toshiba-proprietary memory slot. The slot in
the T4500C (called "Toshiba Type IV" by many) is large enough to accomodate
other future devices, but I'm not fully up-to-date on the PCMCIA standards.

>for late model Toshibas ? Seems this type of memory expansion would be a
>lot more expensive than conventional SIMMs.

I don't know how the price compares, but the reasoning is that they use a
3.3V memory system (with the 3.3V i486SX) that uses less power and is
compatible with their notion of suspend/resume.

>the PCMCIA slot door on the T1900 is a split-door arrangement which allows
>you to close the door on a PCMCIA card yet still have a porthole for any
>required cable. I was dissappointed with the T4500's completely detachable
>PCMCIA slot door (easy to loose).

In the box with the T4500C is another replacement door that covers up all
but the bottom of the slot. The space that remains is sufficient for a
Type-II card with pigtail, and in my case, it's also wide enough for the
MHz X-jack modem plug to stick out of when extended.

>To be honest, the screen on the T1900 was impressive
>enough that I'm questioning the extra $600 at this time for active matrix.

I haven't seen the T1900, but the passive-matrix screens I have seen are
far enough below the quality of the active ones that I'd pay the extra money.
One complaint about the T4500C is that the brightness is not enough to have
a very readable screen in sunlight, but indoors it's plenty bright.

> Soooo, after playing with both for hours I'm more confused than ever. :-)
>I'd be interested in hearing of any quirks with PCMCIA modems on
>Toshiba's. Which ever one I get I require some type of PCMCIA FAX/modem
>immediately. Confused....

I've experimented with the AT&T KeepInTouch card (a.k.a. the Toshiba P/T144?,
until Toshiba starts producing their own) and the MegaHertz XJ1144. Both
work fine, but both also require their own "modem-enabler" programs to tie the
PCMCIA slot to COM2.

Rob
--
Rob Knauerhase [kna...@ibeam.intel.com] Intel Mobile Software Lab
"See, when the GOVERNMENT spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the

Last revision 1993.07.30

PCMCIA Sources, Vendors, etc.

This file is turning into a catchall listing of sellers of all palmtops
and related material. Several non-PCMCIA machine sellers are listed
here.

PCMCIA manufactures and products can be found in the pcmcia.devices file.

The latest version of this file is available via anonymous ftp on the
Internet as: csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Portables/pcmcia.sources.

These files are also available via gopher from the same host using the
path "UWM Information/ Computing Services Division/ Csd4 Public FTP
Archive/ Portables/".

Usenet postings concerning PCMCIA including prices are archived in the
pcmcia.news file in the same directory.

This information is in no particular order. I am but a customer of
some of these companies. This information is not guaranteed, and may
be outright wrong. Use at your own risk. Please send additions or
corrections.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

Warning: the Fujitsu Poqet PC must have 3 volt cards for proper operation.
Most companies sell only 5 volt cards. Be sure to ask about compatibility.

Dealers, Resellers
-------
PCMCIA cards, NiCd batteries, solar cells
Digi-Key Corporation
701 Brooks Ave. South
P.O. Box 677
Thief River Falls, MN 56701-0677
800-344-4539
800-DIGI-KEY
218-681-3380 fax

Sharp organizers, palmtops, software
Rupp Technology Corporation
3228 E. Indian School Road, Suite 103
Phoenix, AZ 85018
800-844-7775
602-224-9922
602-224-0898 fax
ad...@acvax.inre.asu.edu
CIS: 72002,2244
Prodigy: VNWV41A
Applelink: RUPP

SRAM, drives, software, duplication, Fujitsu Poqet PC
Memory Card Associates
1600 Wyatt Avenue, Suite 9
Santa Clara, CA 95054
800-949-7256
408-732-2550
408-970-8424 fax

SRAM, flash, OTP, ethernet, token ring, modem, optical media card
LA Trade
20930 South Normadie
Torrance, CA 90502
800-433-3726
310-782-2880
310-782-0240 fax

Zeos Pocket PC
Zeos Factory Outlet
3787 N. Lexington Ave.
Arden Hills, MN 55126
612-486-1900

HP-95LX, HP-100LX, HP Omnibook, Olivetti Quaderno, Sharp Wizard
S&W Computers & Electronics
31 West 21 Street
New York, NY 10010
800-874-1235
212-463-8330
212-463-8335 fax, vmail

SRAM
Tote-A-Lap
550 Pilgrim Drive, Suite F
Foster City CA 94404
800-9-LAPTOP
415-578-1901
415-578-1914 fax

Fujitsu, Atari, SRAM, drives, modems
Ultrasoft Innovations Inc
2209 Hingston Avenue #201
Montreal, Quebec H4A 2J3
Canada
514-487-9293
514-487-9295 fax

SRAM, flash, drives, software, palmtops
EduCALC
27953 Calbot Road
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677 USA
800-677-7001
714-582-2637
800-535-9650 x9155 credit card orders, 24 hours
714-582-1445 fax

Psion, HP, Casio, Sharp
J&R Computer World
59-50 Queens-Midtown Expressway
Maspeth, Queens, NY 11378
800-221-8180
718-497-1791 fax
718-417-3743 customer service

SRAM
Logical Connection Inc.
4660 Portland Rd. N.E. #108
Salem, OR 97305-1697
800-238-9415
503-390-9375 tech support
503-390-9372 fax

SRAM, Memorex Commuter Computer palmtop
TPS
800-526-5920
415-856-3843 fax

pcmcia flash, SRAM, Fujitsu Poqet PC
Worldwide Technologies
437 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia
PA 19106
800-457-6937
215-922-4640 tech support
215-922-0116 fax

pcmica SRAM, flash
Memory Superstore
800-800-7056
805-339-0305
805-339-0353 fax

palmtops, Psion
Computer Options Unlimted
12 Maiden Lane
Bound Brook, NJ 08805
800-424-port
800-palmtop
908-469-7959 tech support

Sharp Wizard
Palmtop Utilities
94 West Main Street
Smithtown, NY 11787-2605.
800-225-8854
516-360-8854

Casio, Sharp, Psion
Hunter
10816 Fallstone Road
Suite 510
Houston TX 77099
800-800-9555
713-530-9828
713-530-2025

Sharp PC-3100
Future Shop
1322 W Broadway
Vancouver, BC
604-738-6565

Fujitsu Poqet
United Business Machines
10290 Westheimer
Houston, TX 77042
800-622-2965

HP-95LX
Bytecom
Belgium
+32(0) 10 223455
+32(0) 10 2411730 fax

HP-95LX
Supplyline
United Kingdom
081 744 0022
081 744 0045 fax

HP-95LX
W & W Software Products
Germany
0 22 02/42021
0 22 02/32794 fax

HP-95LX
ELDATA
Netherlands
+31 (0)20 6247284
+31 (0)20 6325111 fax

SRAM
BOCA
800-535-5892

SRAM
Hi-Tech Express
800-453-7246

SRAM
MicroAge
215-752-0980

SRAM, Fujitsu Poqet, HP-95LX, Psion
Soft Comp USA
9353 Bolsa Ave. #K-16
Westminster, CA 92683
800-922-3544
714-975-0538
714-975-1560

SRAM, flash
Advanced Computer Products, Inc.
1310 E. Edinger Ave
Santa Clara, CA 92705
800-FONE-ACP
714-558-8813
714-558-8849 fax

HP-95LX, Psion Series 3
Inmac
800-547-5444

Sharp PC-3000
Damark International, Inc.
7101 Winnetka Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55429-0900
800-729-9000

Fujitsu Poqet
Telemart
8804 N. 23rd Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85021
800-942-8014
800-752-0590 Canada
602-944-0402
602-944-1510 fax

SRAM
Beacon Advanced Components
800-759-6190

SRAM
Comp Rep Components
800-526-8611
617-329-1435

SRAM
QCI Component Sales
800-752-1070

HP-95LX, Sharp Wizard
Service Merchandise
P.O. Box 25130
Nashville, TN 37202-5130
800-251-1212

PCMCIA modems, laptops, parallel devices, Genovation
United Computer Express
724 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10019
800-448-3738
212-247-7606
212-397-3056 fax

USA MiniStor dealer
DynaMicro
Josh
408-943-0100

palmtop, pcmcica cards, laptops
Computers for Less
18021 J skypark circle #200
Irvine, CA 92714
800-634-1415
714-975-0542
714-975-1560 fax

PCMCIA SRAM
Nevada Computer
684 Wells Road
Boulder City, NV
89005
800-982-2924
702-294-0204
702-294-1168 fax

PCMCIA SRAM, Amiga, OTP, modems
Memories Plus
14252 Culver Drive, Suite A-116
Irvine, CA 92714-1867
800-229-3553
714-731-1505
714-731-2769 fax

HP-100LX mail order
Lewis & Lewis
805-644-7405
--
[...]

Last revision 1993.06.06

PCMCIA Sources, Vendors, etc.

[...]

Digi-Key Corporation PCMCIA cards, NiCd batteries, solar cells
701 Brooks Ave. South
P.O. Box 677
Thief River Falls, MN 56701-0677
800-344-4539
800-DIGI-KEY
218-681-3380 fax

Rupp Technology Corporation Sharp organizers, palmtops, software
3228 E. Indian School Road, Suite 103
Phoenix, AZ 85018
(800) 844-7775
(602) 224-9922
(602) 224-0898 fax
ad...@acvax.inre.asu.edu
CIS: 72002,2244
Prodigy: VNWV41A
Applelink: RUPP

Memory Card Associates SRAM, drives, software, duplication, Fujitsu Poqet PC
1600 Wyatt Avenue, Suite 9
Santa Clara, CA 95054
800-949-7256
408-732-2550
408-970-8424 fax

LA Trade SRAM
20930 South Normadie
Torrance, CA 90502
800-433-3726
310-782-2880
310-782-0240 fax

Zeos Factory Outlet Zeos Pocket PC
3787 N. Lexington Ave.
Arden Hills, MN 55126
612-486-1900

S&W Computers & Electronics HP-95LX
31 West 21 Street
New York, NY 10010
800-874-1235
212-463-8330
212-463-8335 fax, vmail

Tote-A-Lap SRAM
550 Pilgrim Drive, Suite F
Foster City CA 94404
800-9-LAPTOP
415-578-1901
415-578-1914 fax

Ultrasoft Innovations Inc Fujitsu, Atari, SRAM, drives, modems
2209 Hingston Avenue #201
Montreal, Quebec H4A 2J3
Canada
514-487-9293
514-487-9295 fax

EduCALC SRAM, flash, drives, software, palmtops
27953 Calbot Road
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677 USA
800-677-7001
714-582-2637
800-535-9650 x9155 credit card orders, 24 hours
714-582-1445 fax

J&R Computer World Psion, HP
59-50 Queens-Midtown Expressway
Maspeth, Queens, NY 11378
800-221-8180
718-497-1791 fax
718-417-3743 customer service

Logical Connection Inc. SRAM
4660 Portland Rd. N.E. #108
Salem, OR 97305-1697
800-238-9415
503-390-9375 tech support
503-390-9372 fax

TPS SRAM, Memorex palmtop
800-526-5920
415-856-3843 fax

Worldwide Technologies pcmcia flash, SRAM, Fujitsu Poqet PC
437 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia
PA 19106
800-457-6937
215-922-4640 tech support
215-922-0116 fax

Memory Superstore pcmica SRAM, flash
800-800-7056
805-339-0305
805-339-0353 fax

Computer Options Unlimted palmtops, Psion
12 Maiden Lane
Bound Brook, NJ 08805
800-424-port
800-palmtop
908-469-7959 tech support

Palmtop Utilities Sharp Wizard
94 West Main Street
Smithtown, NY 11787-2605.
800-225-8854
516-360-8854

Hunter Casio, Sharp, Psion
10816 Fallstone Road
Suite 510
Houston TX 77099
800-800-9555
713-530-9828
713-530-2025

Future Shop Sharp PC-3100
1322 W Broadway
Vancouver, BC
604-738-6565

United Business Machines Fujitsu Poqet
10290
Westheimer
Houston, TX 77042
800-622-2965

Bytecom HP-95LX
Belgium
+32(0) 10 223455
+32(0) 10 2411730 fax

Supplyline HP-95LX
United Kingdom
081 744 0022
081 744 0045 fax

Palmsoft HP-95LX
1.44.76.11.00
1 40.26.94.32 fax
France

W & W Software Products HP-95LX
Germany
0 22 02/42021
0 22 02/32794 fax

ELDATA
Netherlands
+31 (0)20 6247284
+31 (0)20 6325111 fax

BOCA
800-535-5892

Hi-Tech Express
800-453-7246

MicroAge SRAM
215-752-0980

Soft Comp USA SRAM, Fujitsu Poqet, HP-95LX, Psion
9353 Bolsa Ave. #K-16
Westminster CA 92683
800-922-3544
714-975-0538
714-975-1560

Advanced Computer Products, Inc. SRAM, flash
1310 E. Edinger Ave
Santa Clara, CA 92705
800-FONE-ACP
714-558-8813
714-558-8849 fax

Inmac HP-95LX, Psion Series 3
800-547-5444

Damark International, Inc. Sharp PC-3x000, SRAM, Trac palmtop
7101 Winnetka Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55429-0900
800-729-9000

Telemart Fujitsu Poqet
8804 N. 23rd Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85021
800-942-8014
800-752-0590 Canada
602-944-0402
602-944-1510 fax

Beacon Advanced Components SRAM
800-759-6190

Comp Rep Components SRAM
800-526-8611
617-329-1435

QCI Component Sales SRAM
800-752-1070

Service Merchandise HP-95LX, Sharp Wizard
P.O. Box 25130
Nashville, TN 37202-5130
800-251-1212

United Computer Express PCMCIA modems, laptops, parallel devices, Genovation
724 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10019
800-448-3738
212-247-7606
212-397-3056 fax
Last revision 1993.08.02

Here are some specifications for PCMCIA that I've picked up in
magazines and some technical documents. They are not official, and may
very well be inaccurate (or even outright wrong). Feel free to send
corrections or additions. Use at your own risk. The latest version of
this file is available via anonymous ftp on the Internet as
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/Palmtop/pcmcia.specifications
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony
--
For official information contact:

Personal Computer Memory Card International Association
PCMCIA Administration
959 Reed Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA
408-720-0107 voice
408-720-9416 fax

Japan Electronic Industry Development (JEIDA)
Kikai Shinko Kaikan 313
3-5-8, Shibakoan, Minato-ku
Tokyo 105, Japan
81-03-433-1923 voice
81-03-433-6350 fax

PCMCIA BBS
408-720-9388

Note that the full name of the standard is PCMCIA/JEIDA, as it is a
collaboration between the two organizations.

PCMCIA Timeline:
1989 August PCMCIA committee formed
1990 April initial release
1990 November PCMCIA Release 1.0
1991 September PCMCIA Release 2.0
1993 PCMCIA Release 2.01

There are currently two distinct versions, release 1.0, and release 2.0.

There are several kinds of release 1.0 cards. Nearly all are memory of
some sort. Most are Type I, some are Type II:

SRAM
Ordinary low power static RAM packaged in a PCMCIA card. These
cards have an internal user replacable lithium battery to
provide power when power isn't available from the host
computer. There is a write protect/enable switch at the end
opposite the connector end. SRAM must always draw power to
maintain memory contents either from the host computer or from
the card's internal battery. The internal battery typically
lasts a year in normal use. As of this date the largest
generally available SRAM card is 2MB.

flash
An entirely different kind of memory. It is neither RAM, nor
ROM. It most closely resembles EPROM except that it can be
erased electrically rather than with ultraviolet light. It
isn't like EEPROM or EAROM as individual bytes in flash memory
cannot be erased. Only the entire device or a few large blocks
(zones) can be erased. Once erase individual bytes may be
written. Because of this limitation special file systems must
be used or else the cards must be treated as merely ROM. These
cards exist in two types, 12 volt and 5 volt. The 12 volt
cards are for use in those machines that can generate the 12
volts needed to erase and write. The 5 volt cards have special
circuitry to generate the needed 12 volts at the cost of less
storage, lower speed, higher overall cost. Beyond these
differences there are others, consult the manufacturers for
compatibility. Regardless of voltage, flash memory draws more
power when writing than SRAM, about the same when reading, No
power is needed when flash memory is not being used, unlike
SRAM. As of this date the largest flash memory card is 20MB.

ROM
Various types of Read Only Memory. No battery or write
protect/enable switch is present or needed.

OTP
One Time Programmable ROM, just another name for PROM. These
require relatively high voltages (12v) and special software.
Once programmed they behave just like any other kind of ROM.

"special"
These cards are proprietary non-standard devices that work with
proprietary device drivers in certain machines. These cards
came about before PCMCIA release 2.0 palmtops became generally
available.

PCMCIA release 2.0 devices range from modems to hard drives and can
potentially include any kind of device which can at least partially fit
in a PCMCIA slot. Some are Type I, most of these devices are Type II,
hard drives are Type III or thicker.

Devices released include:
modem, ethernet, token ring, radio LAN, radio pager, hard drive, SCSI
adapter, analog-digital in/out, audio input/output, serial, GPS

Devices in the works include:
parallel, VGA,

Both release 1.0 and 2.0 use the same physical card specifications.
Release 2.0 defines a standard way to interface block (eg, disk drive,
network adapter) and stream (eg. modem) devices.

There are several different physical PCMCIA card sizes apart from
the electrical and software specification:
Type I Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 3.3mm
Type II Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 5mm
Type III Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 10.5mm
Type IV Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 14.5mm (proposed)

There is also a size used on certain Toshiba notebooks:
non-standard 54mm x 85.6mm x 16mm

The standard allows cards to be up to 135.6mm long so they will extend
outside the host to accomodate bulky devices such as batteries, full
size connectors, or antennae.

Pinouts:
Note: a previous version of this file had the wrong number of address lines
and other errors.

From PCMCIA Technical Briefing

Pin numbering and keying. Note the lack of front "ear" on right side
for keying purposes. The host computer has pins, the cards themselves
have pin sockets.

34 Front 1
===+----------------------------------+
|OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|
|OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|
===+----------------------------------+====
68 Back 35

A0-A25 address lines [64MB address space]
D0-D15 data lines [16 bit data path]

Ground pins are at ends and are longer than other pins while power pins
are in the middle and are shorter than the other pins. This aids in
the hot insertion and removal of cards.

1 GND
2 D3
3 D4
4 D5
5 D6
6 D7
7 CE1 card enable
8 A10
9 OE output enable
10 A11
11 A9
12 A8
13 A13
14 A14
15 WE write enable
16 NC
17 Vcc device power
18 Vpp1 erase/write power (EPROM only?)
19 A16
20 A15
21 A12
22 A7
23 A6
24 A5
25 A4
26 A3
27 A2
28 A1
29 A0
30 D0
31 D1
32 D2
33 WP write protect
34 GND
35 GND
36 CD1 card detect
37 D11
38 D12
39 D13
40 D14
41 D15
42 CE2
43 NC
44 NC
45 NC
46 A17
47 A18
48 A19
49 A20
50 A21
51 Vcc
52 Vpp2
53 NC
54 NC
55 NC
56 NC
57 NC
58 NC
59 NC
60 NC
61 REG1
62 BVD2^2 battery voltage detect
63 BVD1^2 battery voltage detect
64 D8
65 D9
66 D10
67 CD2 card detect
68 GND
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber ant...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony
Last revision 1993.06.30

[...]

1989 PCMCIA commitee formed
1990 November, PCMCIA 1.0 released
1991 September, PCMCIA 2.0 released
1993, PCMCIA 2.01 released

There are currently two distinct version, release 1.0, and release 2.0.

There are several kinds of release 1.0 cards. Most of them are
memory of some sort:

SRAM
Ordinary static RAM packaged in a PCMCIA card. These cards
have an internal user replacable lithium battery to provide
power when power isn't available from the host computer. There
is a write protect/enable switch at the end opposite the
connector end. SRAM must always draw power either from the
host computer or from the card's internal battery. The
internal battery will typically lasts a year in normal use.
[...]

for compatibility. Regardless of voltage flash memory draws
[...]

in a PCMCIA slot. Most of these devices are Type II, hard drives
are Type III or thicker.

Devices released include:
modem, ethernet, token ring, radio LAN, radio pager, hard drive, SCSI adapter
analog, digital in/out

Devices in the works include:
audio input/output, VGA, serial, parallel

Both release 1.0 and 2.0 use the same physical card specifications,
however release 2.0 defines a standard way to interface block (eg, disk
drive, network adapter) and stream (eg. modem) devices.

There are also several different physical PCMCIA card sizes apart from
the electrical and software specification:
Type I Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 3.3mm
Type II Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 5mm
Type III Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 10.5mm
Type IV Card 54mm x 85.6mm x 14.5mm (proposed)

There is also a size used on certain Toshiba notebooks:
non-standard 54mm x 85.6mm x 16mm

The standard also allows cards to extend outside the host to accomodate
bulky devices such as batteries, full size connectors, or antennae.

Pinouts:
Note: a previous version of this file had the wrong number of address lines
and other errors.

From PCMCIA Technical Briefing

[...]

Christopher A .Johnson
cjoh...@accfin.ecel.uwa.edu.au cjoh...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Opinons (and bad spelling) for rent or lease, apply within.
'So then I shot him'

Neil Brewitt

Jan 29, 1994, 7:17:48 AM1/29/94
In article <2i9s0v$b...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> cjoh...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Christopher Johnson) writes: