Faster AGA Grafphics?

Jaeson Koszarsky

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
I have an A1200/030/882-50Mhz. Aminet has many different
hacks to enhance the graphics speed (fastblit, cpublit,
cpuclr, etc). What's the best prg(s) to use on my A1200
setup.

Thanx,

Jaeson K.

BTW, I have an A3000 too :)

--
Jaeson & Jennifer Koszarsky Amiga 3000-Enhanced
--------------------------- -------------------

Recommended reading:

"The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan

Per Jonsson

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Jaeson Koszarsky wrote 28 Sep 1998 23:06:49 -0500.

> I have an A1200/030/882-50Mhz. Aminet has many different
> hacks to enhance the graphics speed (fastblit, cpublit,
> cpuclr, etc). What's the best prg(s) to use on my A1200
> setup.

I use fblit it's enough I think.
It really made some different to some browsers.

/Per Jonsson
--
per.j...@laetus.se | IRC Perty | www.laetus.se

Rafo

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Le 29-Sep-98 05:06:49, Jaeson Koszarsky a osé clamer en parlant de Faster AGA
Grafphics?

>I have an A1200/030/882-50Mhz. Aminet has many different
>hacks to enhance the graphics speed (fastblit, cpublit,
>cpuclr, etc). What's the best prg(s) to use on my A1200
>setup.

ever tried overclocking your Chipset ?

--
hehe.

David Bateman

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
> Jaeson Koszarsky wrote 28 Sep 1998 23:06:49 -0500.
>
> > I have an A1200/030/882-50Mhz. Aminet has many different
> > hacks to enhance the graphics speed (fastblit, cpublit,
> > cpuclr, etc). What's the best prg(s) to use on my A1200
> > setup.
>
> I use fblit it's enough I think.
> It really made some different to some browsers.
>
> /Per Jonsson
> --
> per.j...@laetus.se | IRC Perty | www.laetus.se

fblit uses fastram instead of chip ram for images, just what we
non-gfx board owners needed.

--
iNFERNO d-LIGHT
Team AMIGA

Amiga A1200/OS3.1/34Mb/M1438S/PPC 603e(200-040)
2.16Gb HD/2.11Gb HD/8x CD-ROM/Whippet/USR 56k
Internal Scan Doubler/17" SVGA
BVisionPPC (soon..... October now!!)

Panasonic A310 DVD Player (Region 1)
Sony PlayStation (UK)
Nintendo 64 (HK)

Lawrence H

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

> Le 29-Sep-98 05:06:49, Jaeson Koszarsky a osé clamer en parlant de Faster AGA
> Grafphics?
> >I have an A1200/030/882-50Mhz. Aminet has many different
> >hacks to enhance the graphics speed (fastblit, cpublit,
> >cpuclr, etc). What's the best prg(s) to use on my A1200
> >setup.

Well I have fasterblit 6.6 by Arthurs Hagen in my startup-sequence and I
think it makes some difference and seems to be 100% compatible.
It's on the Aminet

Philip Kaulfuss

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
A potato resembling David Bateman miraculously spoke thus:

> fblit uses fastram instead of chip ram for images, just what we
> non-gfx board owners needed.

It's not an ideal solution though: graphics are still planar and therefore
slow, and not all programs are written well enough to work properly with FBlit
(e.g. DPaint and to a lesser extent, Imagine).

What we really need is that AGA Picasso96 driver that the Savage author was
working on.. =)

--
,-----------------.- Email -.- change Bill@nospam to phil@boehme -.
| Philip Kaulfuss | WWW | http://www.boehme.demon.co.uk |

Jyrki O Saarinen

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
In comp.sys.amiga.hardware Philip Kaulfuss <Bi...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> It's not an ideal solution though: graphics are still planar and therefore
> slow, and not all programs are written well enough to work properly with

Planar doesn't mean slow. Less colours equals less data movement. But
the real problem is, the planar data is in chip-ram which is slow.

On A500 days Intuition was quite fast though.

> What we really need is that AGA Picasso96 driver that the Savage author was
> working on.. =)

Yep.

Nick

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
In comp.sys.amiga.graphics Philip Kaulfuss <Bi...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> What we really need is that AGA Picasso96 driver that the Savage author was
> working on.. =)

WAS working on :(

I mailed Tobias Abt about AGA driver for Picasso, and the exact reply was:
'Currently not technically possible. No time either...'

So, I guess nothing from thi either.... except to hope that CGXAGA driver
will be significantly improved in v4.

--
E-Mail: nfra...@public.srce.hr nfra...@zems.fer.hr | Powered by:
nfra...@irb.hr ICQ: 12845476 |----| A1200

Nick

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
In comp.sys.amiga.graphics Rafo <ra...@cdbssoftware.net> wrote:
> Le 29-Sep-98 05:06:49, Jaeson Koszarsky a osé clamer en parlant de Faster AGA
> Grafphics?

> ever tried overclocking your Chipset ?

A friend of mine tried.... yup, it did work faster, but HW clock worked
faster too :)

Jaeson Koszarsky

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

On 01 Oct 1998 09:26:12 Nick wrote about "Re: Faster AGA Grafphics?":

> So, I guess nothing from thi either.... except to hope that CGXAGA driver
> will be significantly improved in v4.

So what's everyone's opinion of the CGXAGA driver? Faster? Slower?
Compatibility?
What would be better about P96?

Jaeson K.

Nick

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
In comp.sys.amiga.graphics Jaeson Koszarsky <jae...@csrlink.net> wrote:

> On 01 Oct 1998 09:26:12 Nick wrote about "Re: Faster AGA Grafphics?":

>> So, I guess nothing from thi either.... except to hope that CGXAGA driver
>> will be significantly improved in v4.

> So what's everyone's opinion of the CGXAGA driver? Faster? Slower?

It's faster with CGXAGA, than without it. However, CGXAGA is still somewhat
buggy.

> Compatibility?

Well, this is also one big drawback of CGXAGA. It's not full emulation of
CGX, so some CGX programs won't work (even those that DO work on 8bit
display).

> What would be better about P96?

Actually, even CGX port could be 'perfect', if they would make use chip ram
only for 'display' as for example ShapeShifter/Fusion does, in other word,
treat this AGA display same as GFX card, to which you only write changed
parts of GFX, preferably using MMU, if one has it. This would even make 256
col WB to be useable.
Oh, well.. guess I'll just have to wait for BVision.. though this might take
some time..

Alan L.M. Buxey

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
On 1 Oct 1998 09:26:12 GMT ,Nick posted the following:

: In comp.sys.amiga.graphics Philip Kaulfuss <Bi...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: > What we really need is that AGA Picasso96 driver that the Savage author was
: > working on.. =)

: WAS working on :(

: I mailed Tobias Abt about AGA driver for Picasso, and the exact reply was:
: 'Currently not technically possible. No time either...'

: So, I guess nothing from thi either.... except to hope that CGXAGA driver

: will be significantly improved in v4.

the AGA p96 driver is possible and its almost finished - the author said
he'd release a beta soon to aminet

alan

Alan L.M. Buxey

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
On 1 Oct 1998 13:25:34 GMT ,Nick posted the following:

: Oh, well.. guess I'll just have to wait for BVision.. though this might take
: some time..

....end of october now :-(

alan

Nick

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

> : WAS working on :(

Well, Aki told me about beggining of 1998 that his p96 AGA driver will be
finished in few months :>
However, as since than passed much more than 'few months' I tgought he
abbandoned this project.. well, hope it WILL appear on Aminet soon :)

Shawn Carman (EE)

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Rafo wrote:

> ever tried overclocking your Chipset ?

It is actually possible to overclock the AGA chipset. The guy I bought my
A1200 from installed a socket for the timing crystal and installed a
faster one. Don't remeber what speed he did it with, but he said it
indeed was faster. You lose the ability of having the floppy, and the
scanrates of the screenmodes changes, so it requires a multiscan monitor.
He thought it was pretty cool.

Shawn

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo

joe.m...@ukonline.co.uk

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
> Shawn wrote:
>
> > It is actually possible to overclock the AGA chipset. The guy I bought my
> A1200 from installed a socket for the timing crystal and installed a
> faster one. Don't remeber what speed he did it with, but he said it
> indeed was faster. You lose the ability of having the floppy, and the
> scanrates of the screenmodes changes, so it requires a multiscan monitor.
> He thought it was pretty cool.
>
> Does anyone else have any info or advice regarding overclocking the
AGA chipset?????

Regards

Joe

joe.m...@ukonline.co.uk

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
> Now then,
I've had a PortPlus Junior for nearly a year now - AND never had any
joy with it. . . . .
I'm currently setup as follows A1200 Magnum 68030 40Mhz, 32M Ram,
3.2GHD, 24xCDROM, Accura 56K modem, + External Floppy

Please, Please, Please, Peas and carrots. . .Does anyone have any
advice.

I've heard that it only works on some Amiga's and not others - is this
true???
I've tried different xprzmodem.libraries to no avail..
I've returned it to Eyetech (who confirmed it worked and tried to
charge me!!!! B^$"^&*$).
I've also heard it does not work with Netconnect V2 (which I'm using!)
I've even Emailed VMC.de (designer) - no response.
HELP ME BEFORE I NAIL IT TO THE WALL. . . . . .

Despondent

Joe

David Gill

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
On 04-Oct-98 00:02:56 I believe it was who wrote:
>> Now then,
> I've had a PortPlus Junior for nearly a year now - AND never had any
> joy with it. . . . .
> I'm currently setup as follows A1200 Magnum 68030 40Mhz, 32M Ram,
> 3.2GHD, 24xCDROM, Accura 56K modem, + External Floppy

> Please, Please, Please, Peas and carrots. . .Does anyone have any
> advice.

> I've heard that it only works on some Amiga's and not others - is this
> true???

Yes. It has to be an A1200 ;)

I had one that worked (and probably still does) fine. The only confusing thing
was installing it. Too many pins available on the motherboard. It has to go to
the far right when looked at from the front.

It's worth checking, as it is all too easy to seat it incorrectly.

> I've tried different xprzmodem.libraries to no avail..
> I've returned it to Eyetech (who confirmed it worked and tried to
> charge me!!!! B^$"^&*$).
> I've also heard it does not work with Netconnect V2 (which I'm using!)
> I've even Emailed VMC.de (designer) - no response.
> HELP ME BEFORE I NAIL IT TO THE WALL. . . . . .

There are new devices (2.71) now one month overdue from -
http://www.vmc.de/eng_softsupport.html
but the current versions (mine is 2.64) don't seem to be available from the
site.

I use the the HyperCOM3Z installed in A4000T, which works well.

> Despondent

> Joe

David
--
David Gill mailto:sp...@davgill.demon.co.uk
Maidstone, England ICQ:20289300

Andrew Deacon

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
> On 04-Oct-98 00:02:56 I believe it was who wrote:
> >> Now then,
> > I've had a PortPlus Junior for nearly a year now - AND never had any
> > joy with it. . . . .
> > I'm currently setup as follows A1200 Magnum 68030 40Mhz, 32M Ram,
> > 3.2GHD, 24xCDROM, Accura 56K modem, + External Floppy
>
> > Please, Please, Please, Peas and carrots. . .Does anyone have any
> > advice.
>
> > I've heard that it only works on some Amiga's and not others - is this
> > true???
>
> Yes. It has to be an A1200 ;)
>
> I had one that worked (and probably still does) fine. The only confusing thing
> was installing it. Too many pins available on the motherboard. It has to go to
> the far right when looked at from the front.

Some A1200's only have the 22 leftmost pins ,mine for example:(
For it to work you must have and use the 22 pins on the right.
Power Computing did offer to move mine but it seemed like a bit to
much hassle to me.

--
Amiga A1200, Blizzard 1260 2+16mb RAM, 540mb HD,
Surf Squirrel, 33600 Modem, Quad speed SCSI CDROM,

Paul Layton

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
> > Now then,
> I've had a PortPlus Junior for nearly a year now - AND never had any
> joy with it. . . . .
> I'm currently setup as follows A1200 Magnum 68030 40Mhz, 32M Ram,
> 3.2GHD, 24xCDROM, Accura 56K modem, + External Floppy
>
> Please, Please, Please, Peas and carrots. . .Does anyone have any
> advice.
>
> I've heard that it only works on some Amiga's and not others - is this
> true???
> I've tried different xprzmodem.libraries to no avail..
> I've returned it to Eyetech (who confirmed it worked and tried to
> charge me!!!! B^$"^&*$).
> I've also heard it does not work with Netconnect V2 (which I'm using!)
> I've even Emailed VMC.de (designer) - no response.
> HELP ME BEFORE I NAIL IT TO THE WALL. . . . . .
>
> Despondent
>
> Joe
Before I satrt

Explain to me what problems you are having with your hypercom1 port m8
and we will see if we can help each other,
Also can you tell me what version of motherboard your Amiga 1200 is

Regrads

Paul

Rafo

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
Le 02-Oct-98 03:26:16, EE a osé clamer en parlant de Re: Faster AGA Grafphics?

>It is actually possible to overclock the AGA chipset. The guy I bought my
>A1200 from installed a socket for the timing crystal and installed a
>faster one. Don't remeber what speed he did it with, but he said it
>indeed was faster. You lose the ability of having the floppy, and the
>scanrates of the screenmodes changes, so it requires a multiscan monitor.
>He thought it was pretty cool.

Well, I think it was exactly twice the original speed : 14Mhz -> 28MHz.
Of course, almost all the chips were cooled.

--
Yeeehaaa

Nick

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
In comp.sys.amiga.graphics Rafo <ra...@cdbssoftware.net> wrote:

Twice original speed?!?!? Wow..

Aki M Laukkanen

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
In article <608.758...@cdbssoftware.net>, Rafo wrote:
>Well, I think it was exactly twice the original speed : 14Mhz -> 28MHz.
>Of course, almost all the chips were cooled.

Not likely. The crystal on the a1200 motherboard is a 28Mhz one already.
I've heard 28->33 working but 28->48, nope doesn't sound plausible. For one
thing memory chips or rest of the motherboard wouldn't keep up surely even
if the 68EC020 could be overclocked by that amount.

--
D.

Aki M Laukkanen

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
In article <6v0s87$uep$1...@rudjer.irb.hr>, Nick wrote:
>Well, Aki told me about beggining of 1998 that his p96 AGA driver will be
>finished in few months :>
>However, as since than passed much more than 'few months' I tgought he
>abbandoned this project.. well, hope it WILL appear on Aminet soon :)

Well, my Amiga abandoned me by breaking up. Then I got a job (which I quitted
two weeks ago) and now I have a new motherboard but haven't gotten to buy a
new tower. But I don't know if I have enough motivation to write the driver.
It would be an incredible hack for sure (well, there's a nice justication :).
Let's see if Laszlo (sp?) releases his driver and maybe I get enough bothered
if it's cripple/shareware. ;)

--
D.

bit...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
In article <6vac0g$7d$1...@rudjer.irb.hr>,

Nick <nfra...@reddevil.irb.hr> wrote:
> In comp.sys.amiga.graphics Rafo <ra...@cdbssoftware.net> wrote:
> > Le 02-Oct-98 03:26:16, EE a osé clamer en parlant de Re: Faster AGA
Grafphics?

Hi,

> >>It is actually possible to overclock the AGA chipset. The guy I bought my
> >>A1200 from installed a socket for the timing crystal and installed a
> >>faster one. Don't remeber what speed he did it with, but he said it
> >>indeed was faster. You lose the ability of having the floppy, and the
> >>scanrates of the screenmodes changes, so it requires a multiscan monitor.
> >>He thought it was pretty cool.
>

> > Well, I think it was exactly twice the original speed : 14Mhz -> 28MHz.
> > Of course, almost all the chips were cooled.
>

> Twice original speed?!?!? Wow..

I second that. WOW !!!

Does anybody know where I can get this modification done or where I can get
the parts and instructions to do this myself??

Bitcon.

Håkan Magnusson

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
>> Now then,
> I've had a PortPlus Junior for nearly a year now - AND never had any
>joy with it. . . . .
>I'm currently setup as follows A1200 Magnum 68030 40Mhz, 32M Ram,
>3.2GHD, 24xCDROM, Accura 56K modem, + External Floppy

>Please, Please, Please, Peas and carrots. . .Does anyone have any
>advice.

>I've heard that it only works on some Amiga's and not others - is this
>true???
>I've tried different xprzmodem.libraries to no avail..
>I've returned it to Eyetech (who confirmed it worked and tried to
>charge me!!!! B^$"^&*$).
>I've also heard it does not work with Netconnect V2 (which I'm using!)
>I've even Emailed VMC.de (designer) - no response.
>HELP ME BEFORE I NAIL IT TO THE WALL. . . . . .

I have a HyperCOM3z that only lockups 1-2 min after i connected tho my
ISP, i had another card earlyer that had the same problem so i returned
i and got a new on, but it work just as bad.
Now i have emailed VMC and they anwsered that there was some problem
if there was an Phase5 CyberStorm card in the computer. So now i have
a usless hyperCOM card because i have a CyberStorm.
So if someone have a solution of this problem please let me know.

is not i probebly take my HCom card with me to Computer98 and hope to
meat someone from VMC that i throw my card on.

I think this card sux bigtime.

----------
Håkan Magnusson
kra...@swipnet.se

Nick

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

Erm.. you could do your version anyway.. :)
Pleaseeeeeeeeee?? :)))))))))))))))

Rafo

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Le 05-Oct-98 16:44:38, bitcon a osé clamer en parlant de Re: Faster AGA
Grafphics?

>I second that. WOW !!!

>Does anybody know where I can get this modification done or where I can get
>the parts and instructions to do this myself??

Maybe I have to be a little more accurate : the operation was made on a A4000.
So, the processor is not affected. But you meed quite some fans (for almost each
chip)

--
Yep !

Laszlo (Phoenix) Torok

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Hello!

On 5 Oct 1998, Aki M Laukkanen wrote:

[p96 AGA driver]

> >However, as since than passed much more than 'few months' I tgought he
> >abbandoned this project.. well, hope it WILL appear on Aminet soon :)
>

> It would be an incredible hack for sure (well, there's a nice justication :).

Yeah.. but possible... (a bit hard, becasue the driver will use own copper
stuff)

> Let's see if Laszlo (sp?) releases his driver and maybe I get enough bothered
> if it's cripple/shareware. ;)

Hmm.. i do not know what will be the final state of the driver... but i
think it will be FREEWARE...

byby: Laszlo

ps: a very early version of the driver is ready, and without MMU code it
was about 2 times faster than AGA w. standard OS calls. (on 320x240
8bit screen)
(but the final version NEED 030/040/060 with WORKING MMU)
And please do not ask about release date/similar.. when i finished it,
i'll put to AmiNET...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
(Philip K. Dick)

Peter Hutchison

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

> > Now then,
> I've had a PortPlus Junior for nearly a year now - AND never had any
> joy with it. . . . .
> I'm currently setup as follows A1200 Magnum 68030 40Mhz, 32M Ram,
> 3.2GHD, 24xCDROM, Accura 56K modem, + External Floppy

> Please, Please, Please, Peas and carrots. . .Does anyone have any
> advice.

Find out what revision of motherboard you have. On my 1D4 A1200 its located under the metal
shield near the Trapdoor, on others it may be near the PCMCIA slor.

> I've heard that it only works on some Amiga's and not others - is this
> true???

That can be the caseif you have particular models, the 1D4 doesn't like the PortPlus
and some models don't even have the full 22-pin clock header.

> I've tried different xprzmodem.libraries to no avail..
> I've returned it to Eyetech (who confirmed it worked and tried to
> charge me!!!! B^$"^&*$).

It may work on their A1200 which may be a different model.
An alternative is the Wippet or the Surf Squirrel if you want a faster serial port.

P.J.Hutchison
pjh...@blizzard.u-net.com
www.blizzard.u-net.com

Nickey Woolash