rom tower

TAOP-D102-PC08

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
does anyone know how can I make rom tower in my amiga 3000
i just bought kick3.1 but it doesnt work, so i think i have so old a3000
that it needs rom tower, so id like to know what signals i have to chance,
so i can make rom tower,
send answers to my e-mail or here.

e-mail is make...@hotmail.com

Matt Hey

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
** To reply in e-mail, remove "juvxeq." from address **

On 8 Apr 1999 12:09:55 GMT, "TAOP-D102-PC08" wrote about rom tower:

> does anyone know how can I make rom tower in my amiga 3000
> i just bought kick3.1 but it doesnt work, so i think i have so old a3000
> that it needs rom tower, so id like to know what signals i have to chance,
> so i can make rom tower,
> send answers to my e-mail or here.

It's not as simple as soldering a few wires. The ROM tower fixes a flaw
that caused all the pins to be the mirror of what they should. Supposedly
there is a version of the 3000 ROMs that works with rev 7 3000s without
the ROM tower! Contact the people that sold you the ROM you have or
Paxtron where I heard about it. The only other options would be to find
a used ROM tower or go without. Also double check that the ROMs are in
the correct socket (ROM 0 goes in higher numbered socket?).

Matt Hey (http://www.kcinter.net/~matthey)

Robert J Williams

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99

Matt Hey <mat...@juvxeq.hotmail.com> wrote in article
<X2jP2.15663$R3.1...@news7.ispnews.com>...

> ** To reply in e-mail, remove "juvxeq." from address **
>
> On 8 Apr 1999 12:09:55 GMT, "TAOP-D102-PC08" wrote about rom tower:
> > does anyone know how can I make rom tower in my amiga 3000
> > i just bought kick3.1 but it doesnt work, so i think i have so old
a3000
> > that it needs rom tower, so id like to know what signals i have to
chance,
> > so i can make rom tower,
> > send answers to my e-mail or here.
>
> It's not as simple as soldering a few wires. The ROM tower fixes a flaw
> that caused all the pins to be the mirror of what they should. Supposedly
> there is a version of the 3000 ROMs that works with rev 7 3000s without
> the ROM tower!

I recently bought such a set of ROMs from Terry Smallwood
(ter...@inforamp.net) they are installed in the rear set of ROM sockets
(where the old ROMs that load kickstart off disk are installed) and work
fine. The only thing I found was that I could not get the machine to run
without some ZIP RAM, as soon as I put in 4Mb (and transfered the DIP RAM)
the machine ran fine. It also works well with my CyberStorm PPC and no
motherboard fast RAM.

HTH

Robert

--
| Vice Chairman and Webmaster | rob...@williams.demon.co.uk |
| SEAL - South Essex Amiga Link | A4000 CSPPC 060 CVPPC 64Mb 4.3Gb |