What is this "Video Flyer" from NewTek?

bhaskar

May 14, 1994, 9:58:20 PM5/14/94
Hello EveryOne

I just bought May issue of Toaster User magazine. On the last page
there is an article by Lee Stranahan about the next big thing from NewTek,
"The Video Flyer". From the letter it wasen't clear what is this new product,
except for the fact that it'll cost around four thousand dollars.
Any info on this Video Flyer is welcome.

Thanks

Bhaskar Singh

ba...@admin1.memphis.edu

May 14, 1994, 10:50:36 PM5/14/94
It is an add-on for the Video Toaster that makes your amiga into
a non-linear video system (Means - editing video on the Hard drive)
D2 quality (they claim). It gives around 450+ lines of res.
If you have about $15,000 you can have a cheap non-linear system.

Mitch Melassanos

May 17, 1994, 1:12:06 PM5/17/94

> I just bought May issue of Toaster User magazine. On the last page
> there is an article by Lee Stranahan about the next big thing from NewTek,
> "The Video Flyer". From the letter it wasen't clear what is this new product,
> except for the fact that it'll cost around four thousand dollars.
> Any info on this Video Flyer is welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bhaskar Singh
>
>>It is an add-on for the Video Toaster that makes your amiga into
>>a non-linear video system (Means - editing video on the Hard drive)
>>D2 quality (they claim). It gives around 450+ lines of res.
>>If you have about $15,000 you can have a cheap non-linear system.

How did you arrive at this 15k figure? If you own a Video Toaster
system and are looking for a new way to perform editing the Flyer lists for
$3000 and if you order before June 30 it is $500 less. These quotes are from
NEWTEK who informed me that Dealers will sell it for their usual discount.
And then You need 2 large capacity dedicated hard drives 1Gig at~$900 * 2 =$1800
2 Gig at 1800 * 2 =$3600 depending on how much budget/animation/quality
you NEED to record/playback. Also you can then *TRY* to sell of youre old stuff.

Mitch Melassanos ///
/// Amiga
m...@nsscmail.att.com \\\ /// makes it possible
\\X// for VIDEOGRAPHERS!
\X/
Amiga2500/30 7 MEG RAM,1GIG HD,DKB 2MEG CHIP RAM, ICD FFV, DCTV,
NEWTEK VIDEO TOASTER, Kitchen Sync Dual TBC, Sony CCDV701 HI8, Sony CCDVX3,
Panasonic AG1970 and Future Video 3300/TC Edit Controler.

Mitch Melassanos

May 17, 1994, 1:37:27 PM5/17/94
Please read and help if you can...

As you can read from my trailer, I have a 2000/Toaster system and
experience the following problem:

When I start the Toaster it goes through its usual flickering which can
be short(20 sec) or long(60sec) and comes up.

Sometimes it comes back with "Toaster Not Responnding"

When it comes up I sometimes notice that the standard images that are
loaded into the 2 frame buffers (color bars and Toaster LOGO) have strange
color fringing almost like it is using one of the real time Image Effects
Ex. Posturize. The resolution of the images is not affected only the color.

I HAVE TRIED THE FOLLOWING:

** Took the cover off and insulated the inside wall of the cover
near the Toaster card so that it cannot touch.

** Purchased a 1084S monitor to plug in(terminate from the Toaster docs) and
disconnected my DCTV.

** made sure my camcorder and TBC's were on to provide a stable image signal
to the Toaster before starting the Toaster.

** Reinstalled my 2.0 software and calibrated using autohue.

** Upgraded to 3.1 Toaster software and calibrated again(many times)

** Upgraded to the Big Foot Power Supply.

ALL this and it still intermittently gives me this trouble. I have to power
cycle the system a few times to get it to come up without the strange modeling.
The strange color is not blatant you have to look close to see it but with some
framestores it looks very apparent like "snow" on poor t.v. reception.

The trouble seems to be worse if I do not have any video source connected.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks for listening.

ba...@admin1.memphis.edu

May 18, 1994, 1:47:33 PM5/18/94
In article <1994May17.1...@nsscmail.southplainfieldnj.ncr.com>, m...@nsscmail.southplainfieldnj.ncr.com (Mitch Melassanos) writes:

>> I just bought May issue of Toaster User magazine. On the last page
>> there is an article by Lee Stranahan about the next big thing from NewTek,
>> "The Video Flyer". From the letter it wasen't clear what is this new product,
>> except for the fact that it'll cost around four thousand dollars.
>> Any info on this Video Flyer is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bhaskar Singh
>>
>>>It is an add-on for the Video Toaster that makes your amiga into
>>>a non-linear video system (Means - editing video on the Hard drive)
>>>D2 quality (they claim). It gives around 450+ lines of res.
>>>If you have about $15,000 you can have a cheap non-linear system.
>
> How did you arrive at this 15k figure? If you own a Video Toaster
> system and are looking for a new way to perform editing the Flyer lists for
> $3000 and if you order before June 30 it is $500 less. These quotes are from
> NEWTEK who informed me that Dealers will sell it for their usual discount.
> And then You need 2 large capacity dedicated hard drives 1Gig at~$900 * 2 =$1800
> 2 Gig at 1800 * 2 =$3600 depending on how much budget/animation/quality
> you NEED to record/playback. Also you can then *TRY* to sell of youre old stuff.

$15,000 if want everything and you can't use jsut any hard drives
plan on buying high end drives that will cost $1200 or more per gig.
Depending on what quality you need at least 4 gig. It is not as
cheap as they make it sound. Plus what are you going to output to.
I hear many people talking about betacam decks (there anther $6k or more).

Jamie Krutz

May 18, 1994, 7:11:39 PM5/18/94

My Toaster will sometimes not come up (Toaster Not Responding),
or come up with a wierd false color effect on part of the image
(actually looks like two slightly out of phase signals on the
vectorscope).......but if I turn on my DeskJet printer that's
plugged into the serial port, it comes up every time.

I discovered this after tech support told me to adjust a
variable capacitor on the Toaster, and then to send the
Toaster to the factory when that didn't work. It came back with
a "no problem found" note.

I have to applaud the great tech support and willingness
to let me send the Toaster in. But it was all a futile
excercise and I've solved the problem by leaving the
printer turned on.

Hope that helps,
-Jamie

Chris Golchert

May 21, 1994, 9:22:53 AM5/21/94
> When it comes up I sometimes notice that the standard images that
> are
> loaded into the 2 frame buffers (color bars and Toaster LOGO) have strange
> color fringing almost like it is using one of the real time Image Effects
> Ex. Posturize. The resolution of the images is not affected only the color.

if it's what I think it is...mine used to do this too.....like some of the
colors were invisible and the bars were showing through ? kinda?

I called NewTek and was told the problem was my Denise chip...I didn't have
the Super Denise. I guess is uses that chip to set up timing or other good
crap like that (it sounds good anyway:) ) after putting the New and improved
Super Denise in I have had no problem (like that). If you have the Super
Denise in already or our problems weren't the same....I doubt I could help
then.

Chris Golchert

Candace Egan

May 23, 1994, 1:48:03 AM5/23/94

I ran across this problem at a clients facility when it was especially
hot in the room where the toaster resided. My local Amiga/Toaster
hardare guru, told me it was the heat and humidity that were causing
this. Apparently there is a screw adjustment or something on the
toaster card that adjusts it for its atmospheric environment. Quite
possibly your toaster acts up on days when the weather has changed.
Humity, static electricity in the air, dryer air, heat; one of
these may be the culprit.
problem is occuring on days when something >

pete...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2012, 2:28:20 AM10/2/12
Mitch,

This message is coming to you from the future! Eighteen years in the future to be precise, the 21st century!!! I am going back into time to try and tell you something very important. One day we will live on opposite sides of the globe and you will come to my neighborhood and spend 6 weeks here, not tell em you are coming and then after I find out you are here you will leave without visiting me. You were like a brother to me. I am shocked and saddened. You change friends like you change your underwear. You forget how long we have been friends and how long we have been there for each other.

This will be my last transmission Mitch Melassanos (AKA, Mitch Melissinos).... EOF