Team 17 and Amiga

marc.leemans

Sep 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/20/95
Is it true that team 17 will stop making games for the Amiga. I heared
that AB3D and Worms will be their last releases.

If it's true we should start a petition here to keep them going on
with producing ! This team is absolutely (in my opinion) the best
game-company for the A. If they turn there back to the Amiga, other
company's might do the same, ...

Are there people who now what team 17 will do ?

Regards,

marc.l...@infoboard.be

Richard Baguley

Sep 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/20/95
marc.l...@infoboard.be (marc.leemans) wrote:

>Is it true that team 17 will stop making games for the Amiga. I heared
>that AB3D and Worms will be their last releases.

Well, that isn't completely true...

The problem is that Amiga games aren't selling like they used to. The
figures are well down and our recent releases haven't done as well as
we hoped. Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they
deserved to.

Give this, we have to look at other options, which include writing
games for other platforms. We would love to continue producing Amiga
only games, but we've got to pay the rent...

However, we certainly aren't dumping the Amiga. We are planning Amiga
versions of our forthcoming on line games Profits Warning (a share
trading game) and IFL (a football management game). Check out our web
site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

We have no other Amiga projects in the pipeline at the moment, but if
sales of Amiga hardware start to take off, we'll be back...

>Are there people who now what team 17 will do ?

I think I can make a pretty good guess.... ;-)

Richard Baguley
Head of The GAmes Room
Team 17 Software Ltd

john enger

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
: The problem is that Amiga games aren't selling like they used to. The

: figures are well down and our recent releases haven't done as well as
: we hoped. Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they
: deserved to.

I don't mean to give offense, but a ten-pin bowling game doesn't
exactly inspire people (does it?). I haven't played it, and it may well
be great game, but it isn't the kind of game I would consider paying
money for - real life bowling is always gonna be more fun, and in most
areas is fairly cheap... (daytimes anyway)

On the other hand, loads of people are waiting for Worms and for AB3D,
and you can bet what you like that they'll go to number one. People are
*begging* for these games, and they'll certainly sell...

Also, Amiga games dominate the top ten... so if Amiga sales are down,
surely sales of everything else is down too?

: Give this, we have to look at other options, which include writing

: games for other platforms. We would love to continue producing Amiga
: only games, but we've got to pay the rent...

Look, I own 5 Team17 games, more than any other single company. I am a
fan. I want more Team17 games. I will buy more Team17 games. I am not
the only one - that is why Amiga games at at the top of the all-formats
charts, which is why I find it hard to believe that the Amiga doesn't
pay the rent - especially in the case of Worms, which was developed
on and Amiga, for the Amiga and presented to you on a platter. Ok, so
you've done some tweaking and ported it all the place, but if it wasn't
for the Amiga, you wouldn't have this game. And I believe you expect it
to be one of the biggest sellers of the year?

And I understand AB3D came about because of what a student showed you,
not from work done off your own bat. Again, you have done a fine job
turning it into a commercial release, but someone *else* got it
started for you! How often do PC owners do this? I'm sure it happens,
I just haven't heard of any myself. And if people like you (who are
almost revered in the Amiga world) stop producing Amiga games,
people won't *want* to buy Amigas, because they can't get games any
more. Which means people won't use Amos or Blitz or whatever, and
therefore won't get the bug for *writing* games. Where are you
going to get your next batch of programmers from then? There is a
shortage of quality guys in the games industry already.

: However, we certainly aren't dumping the Amiga. We are planning Amiga

: versions of our forthcoming on line games Profits Warning (a share
: trading game) and IFL (a football management game). Check out our web
: site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

Glad to hear it! Out of interest, I'd bet my car that a hell of alot
more Amiga owners have accelerated machines tham modems... I personally
know nearly twenty Amiga owners, and we all have either *accelerated*
1200s (either RAM+FPU, 28Mhz 020 (about a third) or 40Mhz+ 030 (about
half) or a 4000. Perhaps you raise the LCD a touch for a test release?
(Hey! I can dream, its still legal!)

: We have no other Amiga projects in the pipeline at the moment, but if

: sales of Amiga hardware start to take off, we'll be back...

Does this mean no Amiga-only projects, or no Amiga ports either?

Either way, hurry back to Amigaland (where you belong! ;)

Love ya!

John

======================= john....@bbsrc.ac.uk ========================

James McArthur

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:

[snip about Team17 Games etc]

Then send some down here to Australia!! I've been trying to get my hands on
"old" releases such as Colonization to no avail - they just arent here :-(
I dont know how your distribution system works, but I think its broken
down in Australia.

Is there some place "down under" that gets your games direct? Looking through
the UK Games Mags, I can see the latest games in July; and there still not here
yet. :-( Sounds like a whinge, but if the games arent in the shop, then I
wont buy 'em.

: >Are there people who now what team 17 will do ?

: I think I can make a pretty good guess.... ;-)

: Richard Baguley
: Head of The GAmes Room
: Team 17 Software Ltd

BTW, loved the Arcade Snooker give away on CU Amiga. Beaut!

Gareth Edwards

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
> marc.l...@infoboard.be (marc.leemans) wrote:

> >Is it true that team 17 will stop making games for the Amiga. I heared
> >that AB3D and Worms will be their last releases.
>
> Well, that isn't completely true...
>

> The problem is that Amiga games aren't selling like they used to. The
> figures are well down and our recent releases haven't done as well as
> we hoped. Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they
> deserved to.

I think you'll find that, even though Kingpin was a fine game, 10 pin
bowling simulators, for want of a better term, aren't the sort of game
that the seething mass you call customers really want.
It harks back to the days of CodeMasters :)
ATR was probably 'just another top down racing game' to many and without
any other obvious improvments.

Now, just wait to you (finally:) get AB3D on the shelves. I think you'll
find that it will sell like thermally searing ponty cakes ;)

> Give this, we have to look at other options, which include writing
> games for other platforms. We would love to continue producing Amiga
> only games, but we've got to pay the rent...

How about buying Joe Public's new shareware game, get someone to help
polish it (behind the door?) so it's up to standard and distribute it?

It'd save on development.

Or is that what Worms is? ;)

> However, we certainly aren't dumping the Amiga. We are planning Amiga
> versions of our forthcoming on line games Profits Warning (a share
> trading game) and IFL (a football management game). Check out our web
> site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

On the subject of Profit Warning, when I checked out the web site, I
thought it was a gag. It just looked like a joke (as in funny, not stupid)
I think the web page needs some more work to make it look more serious.
Unless of course, the game isn't serious :)

> We have no other Amiga projects in the pipeline at the moment, but if
> sales of Amiga hardware start to take off, we'll be back...

Sob :~(

What about Playstation stuff? 8)

> >Are there people who now what team 17 will do ?
>
> I think I can make a pretty good guess.... ;-)
>
> Richard Baguley

What is it about T17? Do they take mucho gusto in poaching journos?
First there was Doc Dyson, then you followed soon after and now I notice
they've hooked Tim 'gasbag' Smith.
When's Doc Dyson going to do a column in AF? :)

Love & Life,

G.
--
Gareth Edwards, Leeds, UK. <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk>
FUTURE LOVE PARADISE: http://www.cis.yale.edu/~ariedels/seal.html

"I'm your sedative. Take a piece of me whenever you can."
- Seal

Tommy Iversen

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
: we hoped. Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they
: deserved to.
A fine game like Kingpin ? It was crap and boring, no wonder it did'nt sell.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
____| Tommy Iversen - EMAIL: tom...@colargol.idb.hist.no |____
\ | WWW: http://colargol.idb.hist.no/~tommyi - IRC: MrT | /
\ | Amiga 1200 / Blizzard 1230-III 68030 CPU, MMU, 50 MHz | /
) | Telf: +47 72583464 Mobil: 92657347 | (
/ |______________________________________________________________| \
/_______)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(_______\

Phil Shimmin

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Yeah I agree. I own five or six Team 17 games out of about 25-30 games owned (don't
pirate games kids) which is at least twice as much as any other house. I was in
no way interested in Kingpin, and only slightly interested in Arcade Pool. While
indisputedly VFM these games did not reach out and grab you by the balls, which
is something team 17 is noted for. This is /not/ a flame, but I think if you were
expecting these games to sell as well as the AB games et al, then you were
deluding yourselves, even at 10 quid. You can buy games that aren't too old
through mail order for around that which have much more variety.

AB3D and worms are a different matter though. I /am/ going to buy AB3D. Fact.
Worms, we'll see when a demo is released. I would be very dissapointed if you
discontinued support for the Amiga, having been one of the people posting here
urging you not to rush out AB3D, but to release a product as classy as your norm.
I don't know if it would be possible, but an AB3D II using the rendering engine
you have developed but with the blitterscreen screenmode would be a dream come
true. (Flame away techies - I play games and have no interest in how they're
written).

Anyway, keep up the good work, or ese ;-)

Phil

Richard Baguley

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Gareth Edwards <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>How about buying Joe Public's new shareware game, get someone to help
>polish it (behind the door?) so it's up to standard and distribute it?

>It'd save on development.

WEll, we are always interested in examining new games and demos and
all....

>Or is that what Worms is? ;)

Worms was presented to us at a show by Andy Davidson, or Mr Worm as we
refer to him...

>On the subject of Profit Warning, when I checked out the web site, I
>thought it was a gag. It just looked like a joke (as in funny, not stupid)
>I think the web page needs some more work to make it look more serious.
>Unless of course, the game isn't serious :)

It's deadly serious. Why did you think it was a joke?

>What about Playstation stuff? 8)

Various games on the way....

>What is it about T17? Do they take mucho gusto in poaching journos?

Naw. They just like getting the best ;-)

>First there was Doc Dyson, then you followed soon after and now I notice
>they've hooked Tim 'gasbag' Smith.

^^^^^^
That's Gashead. So called because of his curious and undying affection
for Bristol Rovers...

>When's Doc Dyson going to do a column in AF? :)

When the cows come home. The Doctor is mostly doing stuff for Mac
format these days, and AF have dropped ny column because the publisher
thought I went on about cows too much. Ho hum.

Richard Baguley
Purveyor of Fine coffee and groovy games
The Games Room
Team 17 Software

Peteroo

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Good points. Team 17 would be unwise to use as a benchmark anything it has
it has released for the Amiga since Alien Breed: Tower Assault and Super
Stardust. AB3D, Spheris Legacy and Worms (which, based on the demos or
what's been running at shows, look great and will speak better for the
market's status.) I mean, Kingpin doesn't stack up to Strikes N Spares,
ATR was Overdrive by any other name and Arcade Snooker ... well, it was a
freebie, which I guess says something about its saleability.

Peteroo

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
I don't know about Strikes N Spares being abysmal, Marcus. The deluxe
edition, in particular, captures almost perfectly that elusive "feel"
that's so critical to the succcess of any sports sim, while Kingpin struck
me as more or less an arcade game about bowling. Not horrible, but not
worthy of Team 17.

Peter

Richard Baguley

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john enger) wrote:

>And I understand AB3D came about because of what a student showed you,
>not from work done off your own bat. Again, you have done a fine job
>turning it into a commercial release, but someone *else* got it
>started for you! How often do PC owners do this?

Actually, a good number of the games we a re doing (PC or otherwise)
come from ideas by programmers, including Worms, Alleigance, Speris
and others. We don't do licences and the like, so most of our game
ideas are genreated by the people who write them...

>Glad to hear it! Out of interest, I'd bet my car that a hell of alot
>more Amiga owners have accelerated machines tham modems... I personally
>know nearly twenty Amiga owners, and we all have either *accelerated*
>1200s (either RAM+FPU, 28Mhz 020 (about a third) or 40Mhz+ 030 (about
>half) or a 4000. Perhaps you raise the LCD a touch for a test release?
>(Hey! I can dream, its still legal!)

I don't remeber the statistics from the last AF reader survey, but I
think accelerators and modems were about neck and neck...

>Does this mean no Amiga-only projects, or no Amiga ports either?

Both, I'm afraid...

>Either way, hurry back to Amigaland (where you belong! ;)

>Love ya!

Steady!

Richard Baguley
Purveyor of fine & truthful messages
Team 17 Software Ltd.

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
In article <43rfa7$v...@is.bbsrc.ac.uk>, en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john
enger) wrote:

>I don't mean to give offense,

Hey, after Amiga Power we can take anything :-)

>but a ten-pin bowling game doesn't
>exactly inspire people (does it?). I haven't played it, and it may well
>be great game, but it isn't the kind of game I would consider paying
>money for - real life bowling is always gonna be more fun, and in most
>areas is fairly cheap... (daytimes anyway)

Well like it or not. Biggest Selling Amiga game so far this year
(according to a *very* big software distributor at the ECTS) -
Kingpin!!!!!

>On the other hand, loads of people are waiting for Worms and for AB3D,
>and you can bet what you like that they'll go to number one. People are
>*begging* for these games, and they'll certainly sell...

I hope you're right. I believe you are.

>Also, Amiga games dominate the top ten... so if Amiga sales are down,
>surely sales of everything else is down too?

I'm sure it is. There is a great amount of 'waiting for the PlayStation'
happening. Hell, even I'm doing it.

But although the Amiga performs well here in the UK, it doesn't anywhere
else. And the UK is not that big a market.

>Does this mean no Amiga-only projects, or no Amiga ports either?

No ports either :-(.

>Either way, hurry back to Amigaland (where you belong! ;)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if we can make money from
the Amiga, we'll develop for it. But at present we can't. Not unless we
have absolute guaranteed best-sellers like AB3D and Worms. We're not being
bread headed, but we have to pay the programmers, and we like them to earn
what they deserve.

This email starred Marcus Dyson as Doc...@team17.com

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
In article <950921105...@ultim.demon.co.uk>, Gareth Edwards
<con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>When's Doc Dyson going to do a column in AF? :)

I've grown up!!!

You can see me most months in Mac Format.

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
In article <43ra50$r...@astfgl.idb.hist.no>, tom...@colargol.idb.hist.no
(Tommy Iversen) wrote:

What makes you think it didn't sell?

It might not have sold as well as it deserved to, but as it stands it is
one of 1995's best selling Amiga games.

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95

I aggree with you to a large extent, Peter. But...

Strikes and Spares is abysmal. Kingpin was far superior. ATR, well, I
never really liked it anyway :-).

Arcade Snooker, yeah, you're right - the fact that we gave it away says a
lot about its saleability, we developed it at the behest of another
software house who wanted to release it at full price on the
MegaDrive/Genesis (make your own guesses), and we decided it was not
wothry of commercial release, primarily becuase it was not different
enough from Arcade Pool. The fact we gave it away also says a lot about
its value for money :-)

Keurentjes

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95

In article <43otft$h...@ibbr.ib.be> marc.l...@infoboard.be (marc.leemans) writes:
> Is it true that team 17 will stop making games for the Amiga. I heared
> that AB3D and Worms will be their last releases.
>
> If it's true we should start a petition here to keep them going on
> with producing ! This team is absolutely (in my opinion) the best
> game-company for the A. If they turn there back to the Amiga, other
> company's might do the same, ...

What a truckload of crap.

Get a grip, Team 17 is, was and will be at the top of the Amiga producers list.

Niels

__ \\
/// Marco Keurentjes Musix, Midi. \\ Mail to:
__ /// --------------------------------------------*>
\\\/// Niels Keurentjes Guitar, Programming. // ma...@sandman.iaehv.nl
\/// //

Neil Brewitt

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95

In article <8116224...@dream.team17.co.uk> bag...@team17.co.uk (Richard Baguley) writes:

> marc.l...@infoboard.be (marc.leemans) wrote:
>
> >Is it true that team 17 will stop making games for the Amiga. I heared
> >that AB3D and Worms will be their last releases.
>
> Well, that isn't completely true...
>
> The problem is that Amiga games aren't selling like they used to. The
> figures are well down and our recent releases haven't done as well as
> we hoped. Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they
> deserved to.

Hmm. Yes. Like, I don't think you should be *too* downhearted that the
public didn't go *wild* at the thought of ... a bowling simulator.

I must admit that I've never even once been slightly curious as to how good
your bowling simulation was. As far as I'm concerned, simulation of
real-life sports / physical activities is a crap genre, i.e. in 15 years
of computer game playing I haven't seen *one* good sports "simulator".

Did you *really* expect something like that to do well? It just doesn't
have that grab factor. Sure you could have sold it by hyping it to the max
for months before the release, but Team 17 wouldn't stoop to *that*, ...
would they? (yeah, that did happen to be a heavily loaded remark :)).

> Give this, we have to look at other options, which include writing
> games for other platforms. We would love to continue producing Amiga
> only games, but we've got to pay the rent...

Oh sure. No one begrudges you that. If you can't make the money, then
you're better off elsewhere. It's a shame you couldn't just do something
really original that people would like.

> However, we certainly aren't dumping the Amiga. We are planning Amiga
> versions of our forthcoming on line games Profits Warning (a share
> trading game) and IFL (a football management game). Check out our web
> site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

Hmm. A stocks and shares game. That actually sounds interesting- I've been
wanting a decent one since a program called "Stockbroker" written in
C64-Basic. But do you *really* think the world needs another football game?
Or do you *really* think that the market will support as many footy games
as you care to churn out?

> We have no other Amiga projects in the pipeline at the moment, but if
> sales of Amiga hardware start to take off, we'll be back...

Tell you what- in the meantime why don't you just port M.U.L.E to the
amiga? Or even better, just ask the c.s.a.g community what game they'd like
best? Hell, they're representative of Amiga folks from all around the
world. If you have a good distributor, you're set. You seem to be just
missing opportunities like crazy.

ObWormsComment: I'd say it looks good, but I've only heard hype so far.
Mostly from T17 employees, actually. Hmm.

Neil.

--

**** ne...@melkfri.demon.co.uk **** Neil Brewitt
*||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||* IRC: saggy

Zool

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95

>In article <950921105...@ultim.demon.co.uk>, Gareth Edwards
><con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>When's Doc Dyson going to do a column in AF? :)

>I've grown up!!!

>You can see me most months in Mac Format.

Why? WHY? Besides, how can you call moving from Amiga to Macs
growing up? *sigh*

We need you back at Amiga Format anyway...it's really gone down the
drain...

/// Joshua Galun \\\
/// Business Manager for Creative Edge Software \\\
\\\/// Check out our WWW page at http://outland.cyberwar.com/~zool \\\///
\\\/ The Amiga, JRR Tolkien, and The Simpsons. 'Nuff said. \///

john enger

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:

: en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john enger) wrote:
: >And I understand AB3D came about because of what a student showed you,
: >not from work done off your own bat. Again, you have done a fine job
: >turning it into a commercial release, but someone *else* got it
: >started for you! How often do PC owners do this?

: Actually, a good number of the games we a re doing (PC or otherwise)
: come from ideas by programmers, including Worms, Alleigance, Speris
: and others. We don't do licences and the like, so most of our game
: ideas are genreated by the people who write them...

I didn't mean how many programmers think up games for you, I meant how
many PC owners outside your company have turned up out of the blue with
a game you just *had* to have on your books?

: I don't remeber the statistics from the last AF reader survey, but I

: think accelerators and modems were about neck and neck...

I'm surprised if thats true, as from my personal experience accelerators
win 19-2. Of course, thats just my crowd. I don't have a modem, but then,
I have net access from work.

: >Does this mean no Amiga-only projects, or no Amiga ports either?

: Both, I'm afraid...

Boo! No ports either is a bummer. Porting is quite cheap really - games
coders get about 12k a year when they're starting out, and anyone with
enough talent to be a games programmer should be able to port a game
in at most 6 weeks (assuming you write in something like C. Assembler
woud be a git!) Don't beieve me? Send me the C source, and the
relevant gfx+snd files, and I'll port rollcage to the Amiga for you.
(So long Mr TextDemo helps me with the c2p anyway!!! ;-)

: Richard Baguley

: Purveyor of fine & truthful messages
: Team 17 Software Ltd.

Thats my rant for today anyway. I'm looking forward to more T17 stuff soon!

===================== john....@bbsrc.ac.uk ==========================

PS I'm miffed that you're not even gonna *port* games to Amy, bu at
least you've got the balls to tell us, unlike some companies...

Mr Gavin Moran

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Zool (zo...@cyberwar.com) wrote:

: We need you back at Amiga Format anyway...it's really gone down the
: drain...

I think its improved a lot, mostly due to a more technical emphasis probably
forced on it by lack of game releases.

gavan
--
email: G.M...@ee.qub.ac.uk | 'There can be only one!'
or gmo...@nyx.cs.du.edu | - The Highlander

Mr Gavin Moran

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Deok-Min Yun (dm...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au) wrote:

: : BTW, loved the Arcade Snooker give away on CU Amiga. Beaut!

: Well, I liked it but still couldn't install into hard drive... They can
: only make HD installable games on PC? Not enough Amiga users have HD's?
: Not sure myself. BTW, it screwed up the power gauge on my A4000/040
: again. Is this a compatiblity problem?

It installed no probs on my A1200 - you need to make an ASSIGN.

Paul Chan

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
marc.l...@infoboard.be (marc.leemans) wrote:
>Is it true that team 17 will stop making games for the Amiga. I heared
>that AB3D and Worms will be their last releases.
>
>If it's true we should start a petition here to keep them going on
>with producing ! This team is absolutely (in my opinion) the best
>game-company for the A. If they turn there back to the Amiga, other
>company's might do the same, ...
>
>Are there people who now what team 17 will do ?

T17 should definately consider AB3D-II BUT:

Why not code it for a 25Mhz AGA 020/030 as the base machine with detail selects
and more goodies for 040 and 060 owners? And then release a version for the
Cybervision/Cybergfx standard. I`d buy a copy!

Seriously, there are a lot of us out here who expanded our Amigas and would
gladly pay out the money for a big-name game that used bigger than standard
equipment. Colonization was the last decent game I bought - it`s very OS
friendly, and I can promote it into a CV64 screen too!

T17 should really go out and take a one-off risk on the Amiga. Dungeon Master
encouraged a lot of us to upgrade and buy the game. Why shouldn`t AB3D-II?

Tommy Iversen

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
: >: we hoped. Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they
: >: deserved to.
: >A fine game like Kingpin ? It was crap and boring, no wonder it did'nt sell.
: What makes you think it didn't sell?
They wrote it (Team 17)

: It might not have sold as well as it deserved to, but as it stands it is

: one of 1995's best selling Amiga games.

Well, im sorry to say the game was not very good. Thats MY opinion, what
others thinks is another case.

But I dont think Team 17 should be supprised that it did'nt sell as much as
they wanted it to sell.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Tommy Iversen - tom...@colargol.idb.hist.no Phone: +47 725 83 464 |
| http://colargol.idb.hist.no/~tommyi - MrT@IRC Cell: +47 926 57 347 |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

john enger

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Paul Chan (paul) wrote:
: Seriously, there are a lot of us out here who expanded our Amigas and would

: gladly pay out the money for a big-name game that used bigger than standard
: equipment. Colonization was the last decent game I bought - it`s very OS
: friendly, and I can promote it into a CV64 screen too!

: T17 should really go out and take a one-off risk on the Amiga. Dungeon Master
: encouraged a lot of us to upgrade and buy the game. Why shouldn`t AB3D-II?

This isn't a bad point - does anyone remember the ads for `The Immortal' by EA?
`The Immortal. 110 quid. Includes free ram upgrade'. Of course, In those days
a hundred quid got you 512k. These days it gets you 4Mb. So how about some 4Mb
games? If the games good enough, people will get it whatever. Its not like
we're talking about 16Mb+ games like the PC...
Speaking of which, why is it the softies make the latest games for top-end
PC's and bottom end Amys? They know good games sell PC hardware upgrades like
faster cpus and soundcards, so why do they think Amiga games won't do the
same? Surely they don't believe that pentiums would have become the norm
without games like Magic Carpet and WC3? Because they wouldn't have. And
business computer rags will tell you this - eg. computer weekly.

just (yet) another 2 cents...

============================= john....@bbsrc.ac.uk ==========================

James McArthur

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
: James McArthur (jam...@nutmeg.it.ntu.edu.au) wrote:

: : Then send some down here to Australia!! I've been trying to get my hands on

: : "old" releases such as Colonization to no avail - they just arent here :-(
: : I dont know how your distribution system works, but I think its broken
: : down in Australia.

: Same here in WA.

: : Is there some place "down under" that gets your games direct? Looking through

: : the UK Games Mags, I can see the latest games in July; and there still not here
: : yet. :-( Sounds like a whinge, but if the games arent in the shop, then I
: : wont buy 'em.

: : BTW, loved the Arcade Snooker give away on CU Amiga. Beaut!

: Well, I liked it but still couldn't install into hard drive... They can
: only make HD installable games on PC? Not enough Amiga users have HD's?
: Not sure myself. BTW, it screwed up the power gauge on my A4000/040
: again. Is this a compatiblity problem?

Copy it your Hard Drive, and ASSIGN SNOOKER: to where ever you placed the
game. In my case, I have, ASSIGN SNOOKER: HD1:Games/Snooker/

then just double click on snooker.

Paul Chan

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john enger) wrote:
>Paul Chan (paul) wrote:

>: T17 should really go out and take a one-off risk on the Amiga. Dungeon Master
>: encouraged a lot of us to upgrade and buy the game. Why shouldn`t AB3D-II?
>

>Speaking of which, why is it the softies make the latest games for top-end
>PC's and bottom end Amys? They know good games sell PC hardware upgrades like
>faster cpus and soundcards, so why do they think Amiga games won't do the
>same? Surely they don't believe that pentiums would have become the norm
>without games like Magic Carpet and WC3? Because they wouldn't have. And
>business computer rags will tell you this - eg. computer weekly.

Spot on mate.

As an aside, I hate seeing games with potential go down the drain because they
are constrained by the 1Mb 1 floppy A500 "limit" imposed by the softies. Games
could be so much better if they took advantage of HD`s, 4Mb+ of RAM, and
030`s.

Plus, those of us with money and sense don`t buy games that are crap. We buy
upgrades and accelerators instead. All this time, we watch the increasingly
pathetic Amiga games market dwindle away to mediocre 1Mb games and pirates
whose only upgrade was a second drive.

We could look in the PC market and find VERY demanding-of-spec PC games. They
need 486DX`s, 8Mb of RAM. Imagine what decent programmers could do if they were
given an AGA Amiga with 6Mb of RAM and a 25Mhz 030 with Hard drive. What if
they were then told to write a version for the Cybergfx driver. We would
probably get a pixel perfect version of Doom. Or a close approximation of
virtually any PC game on the market today.

It`s here in the heady heights of expanded-Amiga-land that the loyal (and well
off) Amiga owners are. I`m sure the amount of Amiga owners worldwide who own a
well specced Amiga (AGA/GFX board, 030@25Mhz, HD, 6Mb) number in the thousands
rather than the hundreds (maybe even tens of thousands).

There is now such a demand for REALLY good games that you could take a big-name
PC game up to 18 months old (Say, Wing Commander 3, for instance). Convert it
for the spec I mentioned above (and NOT for the vanilla A1200). Add options for
Cybergfx and 040+ cpu`s, and watch shops like Silica and Gordon Harwoods run
dry of Blizzard/Cyberstorm cards etc. in mere days. The situation is IDENTICAL
to the ST/Amiga situation when Dungeon Master was ported across to the Amiga.
How many people forked out back then?

Other less cpu intensive games should come with labels saying "extra features
with 4Mb of RAM" and so-forth.

Gareth Edwards

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
> Gareth Edwards <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >On the subject of Profit Warning, when I checked out the web site, I
> >thought it was a gag. It just looked like a joke (as in funny, not stupid)
> >I think the web page needs some more work to make it look more serious.
> >Unless of course, the game isn't serious :)
>
> It's deadly serious. Why did you think it was a joke?

See my e-mail to Doc D ;)

> >What about Playstation stuff? 8)
>
> Various games on the way....

Goody 8)

> >When's Doc Dyson going to do a column in AF? :)
>

> When the cows come home. The Doctor is mostly doing stuff for Mac
> format these days, and AF have dropped ny column because the publisher
> thought I went on about cows too much. Ho hum.

Moo. I wouldn't worry. Both AF & AS are slipping down the toobs as far
as quality goes :(

I s'pose Marcus does DTP editorials in mac mags, yeah?

> Richard Baguley
> Purveyor of Fine coffee and groovy games

Black without thanks :)

Love & Life,

G.
--
_ Gareth Edwards <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> _
_/_\_ _/_\_

MARC EDWARD FORRESTER

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Tommy Iversen <tom...@colargol.idb.hist.no> wrote:
>: Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they deserved to.

>A fine game like Kingpin ? It was crap and boring, no wonder it did'nt sell.

There was nothing much wrong with Kingpin at all, it's just that it was a
bowling sim, and that's not really going to have much of a market however
slickly you put it together. There isn't enough you can do with the idea.

I don't know what 'deserved to' means, though..

MARC EDWARD FORRESTER

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Marcus 'Dr' Dee <Doc...@team17.com> wrote:
>Well like it or not. Biggest Selling Amiga game so far this year
>(according to a *very* big software distributor at the ECTS) -
>Kingpin!!!!!

And its competitors were?

>>Does this mean no Amiga-only projects, or no Amiga ports either?
>

>No ports either :-(.

This is a bad thing? :>
Depends what you mean by ports, I suppose..

Angus Manwaring

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
: However, we certainly aren't dumping the Amiga. We are planning Amiga

: versions of our forthcoming on line games Profits Warning (a share
: trading game) and IFL (a football management game). Check out our web
: site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

Is it my mosaic set-up or do some of the demos not download. I just get
a "URL not available etc." message :(

--
Regards,
Angus.

Casper

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
On Thu, 21 Sep 1995 21:51:20 +0100, Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:
: >Does this mean no Amiga-only projects, or no Amiga ports either?
: No ports either :-(.

You're really starting to sound like Microprose y'know.

Stu. :)
--
Stuart Tomlinson http://metro.turnpike.net/~stu/
cas...@tomonet.demon.co.uk IRC: Casper (Casper_ when taken)

Angus Manwaring

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
MARC EDWARD FORRESTER (me...@aber.ac.uk) wrote:

Perhaps they mean it in the sense, "the Amiga deserves better software
support." I don't know, just guessing....
--
Regards,
Angus.

I believe if you give a little bit of love to those you live with, a little
bit of love........... has got to come your way.

an...@angusm.demon.co.uk

James McArthur

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95

: >Paul Chan (paul) wrote:

: >: T17 should really go out and take a one-off risk on the Amiga. Dungeon Master
: >: encouraged a lot of us to upgrade and buy the game. Why shouldn`t AB3D-II?
: >
: >Speaking of which, why is it the softies make the latest games for top-end
: >PC's and bottom end Amys? They know good games sell PC hardware upgrades like
: >faster cpus and soundcards, so why do they think Amiga games won't do the
: >same? Surely they don't believe that pentiums would have become the norm
: >without games like Magic Carpet and WC3? Because they wouldn't have. And
: >business computer rags will tell you this - eg. computer weekly.
: >
: Spot on mate.

[snip]

: Other less cpu intensive games should come with labels saying "extra features

: with 4Mb of RAM" and so-forth.

Or if software companies arent willing to go so far as to release a hi end
version, maybe they could make one for the hi end Amigas, and say to the
Amiga Community, "Hey, you want it, then buy it from us". That way they
could gauge how many hi powered Amigas there are out there that are
being used to play games on.

Maybe Team17 could do it for Alien Breed3D?

MARC EDWARD FORRESTER

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
In article <700.6472T...@cyberwar.com>, Zool <zo...@cyberwar.com> wrote:
>>You can see me most months in Mac Format.
>
>Why? WHY? Besides, how can you call moving from Amiga to Macs
>growing up? *sigh*

? I thought Intel machines were the enemy?

Keurentjes

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95

> I don't remeber the statistics from the last AF reader survey, but I
> think accelerators and modems were about neck and neck...

Why do you guys keep on whining about that age-old AF survey????
- AF is a crossover magazine, half serious, half games, but 3/4 of its readers
are just average gameplayers (ie. A1200 with perhaps fastmem).
- It's a DATED survey.....
- With the recent stream of Doom-clones (look at the Breathless shots!!!!!)
it's quite probable that a lot of people have recently upgraded......

So here's the deal:

Everybody send your config to -->> du...@team17.co.uk <<-- along with as many
configs of friends and relatives you can collect, and let Team 17 get a RECENT
idea of today's market....

Niels

btw. Is the new AB3D demo coming before Xmas????
You'd better get the game out before Breathless is released, 'coz my will
to buy AB3D when it's finally released in December was already 'lowered'
by those screenshots, but when I get that game before yours, it starts
getting improbable whether I'll buy AB3D......

Keurentjes

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95

In article <8117612...@hchworth.demon.co.uk> Paul Chan <paul> writes:
> marc.l...@infoboard.be (marc.leemans) wrote:
> >Is it true that team 17 will stop making games for the Amiga. I heared
> >that AB3D and Worms will be their last releases.
> >
> >If it's true we should start a petition here to keep them going on
> >with producing ! This team is absolutely (in my opinion) the best
> >game-company for the A. If they turn there back to the Amiga, other
> >company's might do the same, ...
> >
> >Are there people who now what team 17 will do ?
>
> T17 should definately consider AB3D-II BUT:
>
> Why not code it for a 25Mhz AGA 020/030 as the base machine with detail selects
> and more goodies for 040 and 060 owners? And then release a version for the
> Cybervision/Cybergfx standard. I`d buy a copy!

Breathless is already doing this..... Runs full-screen 1*1 on a 25Mhz 030 accor-
ding to the team...... :))))))

Niels

Keurentjes

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95

In article <43tvp3$h...@astfgl.idb.hist.no> tom...@colargol.idb.hist.no (Tommy Iversen) writes:
> : >: we hoped. Even fine games like Kingpin have not sold as many as they

> : >: deserved to.
> : >A fine game like Kingpin ? It was crap and boring, no wonder it did'nt sell.
> : What makes you think it didn't sell?
> They wrote it (Team 17)
>
> : It might not have sold as well as it deserved to, but as it stands it is
> : one of 1995's best selling Amiga games.
> Well, im sorry to say the game was not very good. Thats MY opinion, what
> others thinks is another case.
>
> But I dont think Team 17 should be supprised that it did'nt sell as much as
> they wanted it to sell.

I looked in CU Amiga, saw it was a bowling sim (of all things....) and so I just
flipped to the next page.....

A sane man isn't honestly going to buy a BOWLING sim?!?

A bowling sim..... next thing they'll make is probably a dishwashing sim..... :)

Keurentjes

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95

> : >: T17 should really go out and take a one-off risk on the Amiga. Dungeon Master
> : >: encouraged a lot of us to upgrade and buy the game. Why shouldn`t AB3D-II?
> : >
> : >Speaking of which, why is it the softies make the latest games for top-end
> : >PC's and bottom end Amys? They know good games sell PC hardware upgrades like
> : >faster cpus and soundcards, so why do they think Amiga games won't do the
> : >same? Surely they don't believe that pentiums would have become the norm
> : >without games like Magic Carpet and WC3? Because they wouldn't have. And
> : >business computer rags will tell you this - eg. computer weekly.

I've said this a million times this year, but no publisher believes it for some
reason.....

Best way to sell 030 and 040 boards is to insert a lot of innecessary loops in
Workbench and Exec, rewrite Exec in Basic, and generally fu*k up all system rou-
tines so badly that ppl will REQUIRE an 040 to even BOOT....... After all, that's
what Microsuck did to the PC-market, and pentiums are selling like hell!!!!! :)

The reason the Amiga community won't upgrade is simply because our OS is too good.

> Maybe Team17 could do it for Alien Breed3D?

Tried and tried and tried and tried..... but they won't budge..... :(

Keurentjes

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
> ObWormsComment: I'd say it looks good, but I've only heard hype so far.
> Mostly from T17 employees, actually. Hmm.

CU Amiga and every other magazine and everyone who played the PC demo also
joined in the hype.... so I guess it must be good!

But the thing that's really getting on my nerves with Team17 is that they're
always promising but never deliver....

Worms, demo planned for summer release and full game by the end of September...
yeah, right!

AB3D, original release date April '95 (!!!), postponed to Summer '95, then Sep-
tember 10th was pinned as official release date, and up to today we're still
waiting for a new DEMO to show up...... :( I'll be surprised if it's to be
released before '96.....

I'd rather have no info than wrong info, dudez!

Gareth Edwards

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
Angus Manwaring (an...@angusm.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:

> > ... Check out our web site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

> Is it my mosaic set-up or do some of the demos not download. I just get
> a "URL not available etc." message :(

No Angus, your set up's probably fine. I believe Baggers cocked up the URL :)

Try;
http://www.team17.co.uk/

instead.

Love & Life,

G.
--
Gareth Edwards, Leeds, UK. <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk>
FUTURE LOVE PARADISE: http://www.cis.yale.edu/~ariedels/seal.html

"Human history becomes more and more a race
between education and catastophe." - H.G.Wells

Anthony Moore

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
: Gareth Edwards <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: >When's Doc Dyson going to do a column in AF? :)

: When the cows come home. The Doctor is mostly doing stuff for Mac
: format these days, and AF have dropped ny column because the publisher
: thought I went on about cows too much. Ho hum.

Why dont you try CU-Amiga, Im sure they would gladly let you do a column.
Email Mr Dykes (Hes the Editor chap down there) on
Al...@cu-amiga.demon.co.uk. He should sort you out with your column.

[Advertising mode on]

Heres a better idea though. Why doesnt someone start up a completely
freelance Amiga mag. Uproar will publish it (I gaurentee that, as I am
in Uproar). Uproar is our 6th Form publishing company, we are a "proper"
company although it is mainly run on Wednesday afternoons, and in our
spare time (break, dinner, before school, after school, ps)

Anyone interested?
Reply to me, and I will do you a quote.

What I was thinking of was that someone collects articles together (as
ASCII please) edits them, and basically puts all the text together.
Then, Email to me for publishing. Photos should be uuencoded jpegs or
gifs or pref. archimedes paintbrush. Anyone who can help us out with a
converter from gif/jpg to archimedes paintbrush and vice versa should
email me. Otherwise, we will have to use that horrible PC that noone
likes using. (due to access of a laser printer, I cant do it on my Ami
with pagestream as I cant import PS files into the archimedes)

Anyway, we will do the work at the right price (B&W only Im afraid).
Colour and the price goes up due to the printers' charges.

All profits go towards buying new IT equipment for our school.

Any companies out there who would like to advertise in our school
mag? It has a captive readership of 2000 11-19yr olds + 4000+
teachers and parents.

[advertising mode off]

--
Anthony Moore <Ant...@ahmoore.demon.co.uk>
Amiga user and A-Level Student

Neil Brewitt

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95

In article <marco...@sandman.iaehv.nl> ma...@sandman.iaehv.nl (Keurentjes) writes:

> A bowling sim..... next thing they'll make is probably a dishwashing sim..... :)

Heh. :)

Made me laugh, that. Sadly, it didn't make me laugh because it was so
unbelievable. :(

Angus Manwaring

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Neil Brewitt (ne...@melkfri.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: In article <8116224...@dream.team17.co.uk> bag...@team17.co.uk (Richard Baguley) writes:
: > However, we certainly aren't dumping the Amiga. We are planning Amiga
: > versions of our forthcoming on line games Profits Warning (a share

: > trading game) and IFL (a football management game). Check out our web

: > site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

: Hmm. A stocks and shares game. That actually sounds interesting- I've been
: wanting a decent one since a program called "Stockbroker" written in
: C64-Basic. But do you *really* think the world needs another football game?
: Or do you *really* think that the market will support as many footy games
: as you care to churn out?

I know everyone that's played anything from space invaders up, probably
considers themselves to have a vast knowledge of the software industry,
and what will sell.....BUT if Team17 put out a 3D robot war sim on the
Amiga, and made a fair job of it, they would have a hit game, there
is NO competition on this platform y'see. It is likely to grab peoples
attention far more than a sports sim and its also likely the AB3D guy
could adapt his engine to run it. Obviously this is just my opinion,
by all means ignore it, its just an idea that happens to be valid.

--
Regards,
Angus Manwaring.

Angus Manwaring

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Gareth Edwards (con...@ultim.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Angus Manwaring (an...@angusm.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: > Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:

: > > ... Check out our web site for more details.. http://www.team17.com/TGR/

: > Is it my mosaic set-up or do some of the demos not download. I just get

: > a "URL not available etc." message :(

: No Angus, your set up's probably fine. I believe Baggers cocked up the URL :)

: Try;
: http://www.team17.co.uk/

No, I can get through to the Amiga/PC page with the demos, but when
I click on say ProjectX, I get this ERROR page come up....and I've
tried the load to local option. HAYELP!!

Cheers,
Angus.

"We are both men of action," Westley replied. "Lies do not become us."
"Well spoken."said the Count, and with one sudden swing, he clubbed Westley
into insensitivity.
an...@angusm.demon.co.uk

Angus Manwaring

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Keurentjes (ma...@sandman.iaehv.nl) wrote:

: I looked in CU Amiga, saw it was a bowling sim (of all things....) and so I just

: flipped to the next page.....

: A sane man isn't honestly going to buy a BOWLING sim?!?

You're being a bit narrow-minded here, Niels. I wouldn't want one,
but there must be people that do.

: A bowling sim..... next thing they'll make is probably a dishwashing sim..... :)

Well, actually, I always thought a gardening sim would be great. I
mean, I wouldn't ever want to tackle the real thing, but a sim of it
would be pretty smart....and there's a potential tie-in with Worms!

/ \ "Lets go!" ---------------
\o/ | Windows '95 |
H o o o o o o ---------------
____________________H____H____H____H____H____H_
| \o/ "Oh no!"

Richard Baguley

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Angus Manwaring <an...@angusm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Gareth Edwards (con...@ultim.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>No, I can get through to the Amiga/PC page with the demos, but when
>I click on say ProjectX, I get this ERROR page come up....and I've
>tried the load to local option. HAYELP!!

Whoops. It would seem that there are a couple of errors on the web
page. I'll sort them out this afternoon....

Richard B

Richard Baguley

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Angus Manwaring <an...@angusm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Is it my mosaic set-up or do some of the demos not download. I just get
>a "URL not available etc." message :(

It's probably something to do with the fact that the DNS servers at
our Service Provider are "Overloaded". THis occasionally means that if
you try and do a lookup which gets referred to them, it will be
bounced back as a "never heard of it' guv...."

We will shortly be moving to another SP who, hopefully, will have a
more professional approach to these things...

Richard Baguley

Richard Baguley

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Gareth Edwards <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>No Angus, your set up's probably fine. I believe Baggers cocked up the URL :)

How dare you imply such as thing!

>Try;
> http://www.team17.co.uk/

Actually, both should work. We have Team17.com and Team17.co.uk. The
former is set up as a alias of the second, 'cause we think that having
a .com address is cool...

Richard Baguley
Team 17 Software

owen marlowe

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Paul Chan (paul) wrote:

: T17 should definately consider AB3D-II BUT:

: Why not code it for a 25Mhz AGA 020/030 as the base machine with detail selects
: and more goodies for 040 and 060 owners? And then release a version for the
: Cybervision/Cybergfx standard. I`d buy a copy!

: Seriously, there are a lot of us out here who expanded our Amigas and would

: gladly pay out the money for a big-name game that used bigger than standard
: equipment. Colonization was the last decent game I bought - it`s very OS
: friendly, and I can promote it into a CV64 screen too!

There are? Where? About the only place I'd believe such a claim is in
the UK. Here in the good ole U.S., lots of folks are still using stock,
or near stock [Fast Ram] Amiga 500's and 1200's. But, you're idea is a
good one - that's how the games are released on the PC platforms -
lately, the games being released for the PC platforms AND the Mac
platforms recommend you have at least a 486-66 [pc] or a 68LC030 Mac
with 8 megs of ram on both systems for the game to run "reasonably".
They do suggest either a Pentium PC or a Power PC Mac with 16 megs of ram
on both systems for best results.
Hence, game developers are helping to sell more expensive computers
and/or upgrades.

: T17 should really go out and take a one-off risk on the Amiga. Dungeon Master
: encouraged a lot of us to upgrade and buy the game. Why shouldn`t AB3D-II?

Yeah...but.. remember one important thing: the Amiga was a little MORE
popular back during the Dungeon Master game days. And, Dungeon Master
seemed to be graphically better than anything else available on the PC
Platform... as with most Amiga games/software of those days.

These days, the PC is the platform to programme for if you wanna make the
big bux, pay the rent, and retire at an early age. =]

Mika Yrj|l{

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Doc...@team17.com (Marcus 'Dr' Dee) writes:

>I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if we can make money from
>the Amiga, we'll develop for it. But at present we can't. Not unless we
>have absolute guaranteed best-sellers like AB3D and Worms. We're not being
>bread headed, but we have to pay the programmers, and we like them to earn
>what they deserve.

I make now a public promise; I will buy either of these, probably Worms,
because AB3D does seem a bit pale when compared to what my machine
(A4000/40) could do. For Worms, I can forgive that more easily than for
Worms, which doesn't need that much power anyway to be nice...

Mika 'MadMac'/'Exploder' Yrjölä

Russ 'Argel' LeBar

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Neil Brewitt (ne...@melkfri.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Tell you what- in the meantime why don't you just port M.U.L.E to the
: amiga? Or even better, just ask the c.s.a.g community what game they'd like
: best? Hell, they're representative of Amiga folks from all around the
: world. If you have a good distributor, you're set. You seem to be just
: missing opportunities like crazy.

What about buying up the rights to Hired Guns AGA!?!?!

/---Russ-LeBar-------+------ c62...@missouri.edu ---------S()---------\
| // Dare to Dream | Creator of Argel Ptrs & Term toolstrip imagery |
| \X/ A M I G A | A1200-6MB-14Mhz881-426HD -- Term beta tester |
+^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+
|WWW: http://www.missouri.edu/~c621412/ - Kathy Troccoli, artwork, etc.|
|FTP: musie.phlab.missouri.edu in pub/amiga - (Term betas, ArgelPtrs..)|
\------S()--Argel----------- Opinions are mine & thus CORRECT =) ------/

Angus Manwaring

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
: Gareth Edwards <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: >Try;
: > http://www.team17.co.uk/

Yeah, but then some of you think that the Mac is for the grown-ups. :)
--

Angus Manwaring.

"What, can Amigas get the Internet, then?"

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
In article <445ksj$t...@ibbr.ib.be>, marc.l...@infoboard.be
(marc.leemans) wrote:

>>We have no other Amiga projects in the pipeline at the moment, but if
>>sales of Amiga hardware start to take off, we'll be back...
>

>Nice to hear this. I hope these sales will take off.
>
>Greetings,

We hope that sales will take off. For a while, with that high price, we
thought they were just shifting inventory in an attempt to make a quickj
buck. We suspected that all they really wanted the Amiga technology for
was set-top boxes.

But I spoke with Jonathon Anderson at ECTS, and he pretty much convinced
me that they are very serious about all this stuff. The price was a simple
choice. Higher before Christmas, or lower after. And Jonathon is well
aware that the Amiga can't afford to miss another christmas on-sale.

A lot of momentum has been lost, and it will be a tough fight to get the
Amiga back where it belongs (in hundreds and hundreds of thousands of
bedrooms :-)). I'm not sure that they can make it. But I sincerely hope
that they can.

Worms and AB3D are excellent games (yeah, I know, I would say that) and if
they help, in any way to get people to buy Amigas, that will be a good
thing.

After that, It's not my decision...

If it was, we'd still be doing stuff.

This email starred Marcus Dyson as Doc...@team17.com

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
In article <4413nr$e...@osfb.aber.ac.uk>, me...@aber.ac.uk (MARC EDWARD
FORRESTER) wrote:

> >Why? WHY? Besides, how can you call moving from Amiga to Macs
> >growing up? *sigh*
>
>? I thought Intel machines were the enemy?

I never said that I was moving from the Amiga to the Mac, I just said that
I was growing up, and that I was now writing for Mac Format.

When I was 22, I could afford £399 for an Amiga. Then I had to save hard
for a printer, a monitor, a hard drive etc...

Now I'm 30, I can afford a Mac. That's growing up :-).

Intel machines ARE the enemy... Macs use Motorola chips, same as the Amiga.

Gareth Edwards

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
> Gareth Edwards <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >No Angus, your set up's probably fine. I believe Baggers cocked up the URL :)
>
> How dare you imply such as thing!

:)

> > http://www.team17.co.uk/
>
> Actually, both should work. We have Team17.com and Team17.co.uk. The
> former is set up as a alias of the second, 'cause we think that having
> a .com address is cool...

'team17.com' sounds cooler, you say? I think not; it sounds American :)

<runs for cover>

I think domains ending in *.co.uk are better because they give you a national
identity (if you should want it). For example, if my domain ended in *.fr ,
then I'd rather have *.com ;)

<digs bunker>
Love & Life,

G.
--
Gareth Edwards, Leeds, UK. <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk>
FUTURE LOVE PARADISE: http://www.cis.yale.edu/~ariedels/seal.html

"The future is my friend. It hurts but it treats me well.
Take hold and be it's master." -Seal

Crossbones

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95

:
: Best way to sell 030 and 040 boards is to insert a lot of innecessary loops in
: Workbench and Exec, rewrite Exec in Basic, and generally fu*k up all system rou-
: tines so badly that ppl will REQUIRE an 040 to even BOOT....... After all, that's
: what Microsuck did to the PC-market, and pentiums are selling like hell!!!!! :)

This I wouldn't care to see at all.. Because it'd still be slow on machines
that did have fast accels too. (Compared to what we have now.)

: The reason the Amiga community won't upgrade is simply because our OS is too good.

Actually, the system stagnates itself. The problem is both the end user,
and developers. Developers won't develope games that require extra hardware
because they feel most people don't own them, and end users won't upgrade
because they see no reason too (because everything works on their machines.)

It's almost time some people out there take a chance and develope something
that does!

Good thing C= didn't have this attitude. We would have had a 68000 based
4000.

--
.----------------------------------.---------------------------------.
| Crossbones - Binary Assault | - Projects- |

Paul M Venkatesh

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
In article <Doctor-2509...@spong.team17.co.uk>,

Marcus 'Dr' Dee <Doc...@team17.com> wrote:

>When I was 22, I could afford £399 for an Amiga. Then I had to save hard
>for a printer, a monitor, a hard drive etc...
>
>Now I'm 30, I can afford a Mac. That's growing up :-).

So, when you're 40, you'll be back with us as you'll be able to
afford an Amiga 4000 :-)

Paul.

Paul Venkatesh | (p...@bnr.co.uk -44-1279-403486)
BNR Europe Ltd, 140 Greenway, Harlow Business Park,
Harlow, Essex. CM19 5QD

john enger

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well thats nice to know at least. Out of interest, when (if?) AT release a
RISC Amiga of whatever flavour (cherry woul dbe nice! ;) will you guys
support it from the off? After all, I don't see anyone refusing to
develop Playstation stuff, and no-one owns one of them yet...

========================= john....@bbsrc.ac.uk ==========================

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
In article <448ugi$1...@is.bbsrc.ac.uk>, en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john
enger) wrote:

>: After that, It's not my decision... If it was, we'd still be doing stuff.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Well thats nice to know at least. Out of interest, when (if?) AT release a
>RISC Amiga of whatever flavour (cherry woul dbe nice! ;) will you guys
>support it from the off? After all, I don't see anyone refusing to
>develop Playstation stuff, and no-one owns one of them yet...

I wish it was that simple :-(

Maybe no-one owns a PlayStation yet (I do, in fact :-)). But with over
1,000,000 already sold in other regions of the World, and guaranteed
support from a shitload of developers (and a load of shit developers),
there is no danger of a quality PlayStation game flopping. Especially
since the machine is under £300.

If and when AT do a RISC machine (and I really hope that they will), the
chances are that it will be a graphics or multimedia workstation, and that
it will cost 'quite a bit'. Hence, not a guranteed success :-(

For my money AT need to put a Motorola 601 at 66MHz in a sub £500 machine
with 8Mb RAM, a HD and the AAA chipset, a 3D rendering chip and backwards
compatability with all those excellent (and cheap) Amiga games and
packages. Likely? Not very. But it's about the only thing that could hold
its own against the £650 DX2/66.

These are not great times for the Amiga :-( Better days to come? I hope so.

Greg Hope

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95

In article <43ra2p$7...@pellew.ntu.edu.au> jam...@nutmeg.it.ntu.edu.au (James McArthur) writes:
> Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
>
> [snip about Team17 Games etc]
>
> Then send some down here to Australia!! I've been trying to get my hands on
> "old" releases such as Colonization to no avail - they just arent here :-(
> I dont know how your distribution system works, but I think its broken
> down in Australia.

Richard,

Ring Games Wizards in Lidcombe or Penrith NSW, Sigmacom in Miranda NSW,
Computer Affair, in Willoughby NSW, just for a start. There are about 5 others
who sell Amiga software/hardware through their stores and havent stopped.

--
*------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Greg Hope, Sysop of Amiga's Sci-Fi BBS gr...@zip.com.au |

Greg Hope

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95

In article <8117791...@hchworth.demon.co.uk> Paul Chan <paul> writes:

> en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john enger) wrote:
> >Paul Chan (paul) wrote:
>
> >: T17 should really go out and take a one-off risk on the Amiga. Dungeon Master
> >: encouraged a lot of us to upgrade and buy the game. Why shouldn`t AB3D-II?
> >
> >Speaking of which, why is it the softies make the latest games for top-end
> >PC's and bottom end Amys? They know good games sell PC hardware upgrades like
> >faster cpus and soundcards, so why do they think Amiga games won't do the
> >same? Surely they don't believe that pentiums would have become the norm
> >without games like Magic Carpet and WC3? Because they wouldn't have. And
> >business computer rags will tell you this - eg. computer weekly.
> >
> Spot on mate.
>
> As an aside, I hate seeing games with potential go down the drain because they
> are constrained by the 1Mb 1 floppy A500 "limit" imposed by the softies. Games
> could be so much better if they took advantage of HD`s, 4Mb+ of RAM, and
> 030`s.

Strangely enough, some games have been written, for YEARS now, so that some
options wont work in a 1 meg A500 and some will have more options on a 68000
with more than one meg ram while other things work with higher speed CPUs.
OTOH, some games just CRASH when I try to run them on my 030. ;-\

> Plus, those of us with money and sense don`t buy games that are crap. We buy

Ya but there IS XMAS. I got Rise of the Robots last Xmas. Wouldnt work on an
030, wouldnt work if you changed options. Wouldnt work from HD though it was
supposed to be HD installable. When you worked all this out, the game was
shit anyway!

> We could look in the PC market and find VERY demanding-of-spec PC games. They
> need 486DX`s, 8Mb of RAM. Imagine what decent programmers could do if they were

Ptooi! You need a 17 inch monitor and a better keyboard with more funtion
buttons plus ENORMOUS ram just to run WIN95 and when you get all that, it is
buggy. Leave IBM for IBM. Certainly some of their games are damned good ideas
but a port just doesnt work as well as a game written from the ground up, for
an Amiga. Eg - EPIC... great demo release that hooked me into buying the game
and the game play was pathetically typical of IBM games at that time.

> given an AGA Amiga with 6Mb of RAM and a 25Mhz 030 with Hard drive. What if

One thing about AGA - it is the graphics mode most die-hard AMigans will jump
over if a new Amiga comes out and has a higher graphics resolution. ;-}

> they were then told to write a version for the Cybergfx driver. We would
> probably get a pixel perfect version of Doom. Or a close approximation of
> virtually any PC game on the market today.

TextDemo was OK and was for OCS/ECS.

> It`s here in the heady heights of expanded-Amiga-land that the loyal (and well
> off) Amiga owners are. I`m sure the amount of Amiga owners worldwide who own a
> well specced Amiga (AGA/GFX board, 030@25Mhz, HD, 6Mb) number in the thousands
> rather than the hundreds (maybe even tens of thousands).

Pthhh... to be honest, AGA is something I intend to miss. I cant see myself
dumping a damned good A2000/030 with 882, 4 megs 32 bit ram, 4 megs 16 fast
and 1 meg 16 chip just to go to an A4000 which has problems to begin with. I
wouldnt buy a 1200 in a pink fit as I need more expandability for certain
things I do now that dont really depend on graphics to get done. I imagine new
model Amigas to be far beyond AGA so I am going to accept my OCS/ECS as it is,
stick with a 25Mhz machine (for which I can get an 060 if I wanted) and wait
to see what the future of Amiga holds. Same thing I was saying 9 months ago
but then I was adding "in case Amiga dies" ;-}

Casper

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
On Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:51:21 +0100, Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:
: I never said that I was moving from the Amiga to the Mac, I just said that

: I was growing up, and that I was now writing for Mac Format.
:
: When I was 22, I could afford 399 for an Amiga. Then I had to save hard

: for a printer, a monitor, a hard drive etc...
:
: Now I'm 30, I can afford a Mac. That's growing up :-).

No it isn't, it's being a Dan Cannon. (disa readers nod)

Now you're 30, you can afford an A4000/060. THAT'S growing up. :)

Stu. :)
--
Stuart Tomlinson http://metro.turnpike.net/~stu/
cas...@tomonet.demon.co.uk IRC: Casper (Casper_ when taken)
'This way Dr.Harvey, you need this more than me.'

Casper

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
On Sun, 24 Sep 1995 16:57:26 GMT, Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
: It's probably something to do with the fact that the DNS servers at

: our Service Provider are "Overloaded". THis occasionally means that if
: you try and do a lookup which gets referred to them, it will be
: bounced back as a "never heard of it' guv...."
:
: We will shortly be moving to another SP who, hopefully, will have a
: more professional approach to these things...

/me hits s key.

<g>

Stu. :)
--
Stuart Tomlinson http://metro.turnpike.net/~stu/
cas...@tomonet.demon.co.uk IRC: Casper (Casper_ when taken)

'I told you I was a good dancer.'

Brian Skreeg

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
While smelling of fish john enger (en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk) wrote:
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: Well thats nice to know at least. Out of interest, when (if?) AT release a
: RISC Amiga of whatever flavour (cherry woul dbe nice! ;) will you guys
: support it from the off? After all, I don't see anyone refusing to
: develop Playstation stuff, and no-one owns one of them yet...

Did I mention that I'm getting mine on friday?
__ _ _
/ \ \ \
/ / / / / |-Brian Skreeg-----------Maniac-|
\__/ \ \ |-Lead guitarist extraordinaire-|
\__/_/ |-I don't look like two zombies-|

Rex....

Sep 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/27/95
The Mighty Marcus 'Dr' Dee, Doc...@team17.com emitted at 29.6KHz...

>Maybe no-one owns a PlayStation yet (I do, in fact :-)).

So do I (sort of :)

>For my money AT need to put a Motorola 601 at 66MHz in a sub £500 machine
>with 8Mb RAM, a HD and the AAA chipset, a 3D rendering chip and backwards
>compatability with all those excellent (and cheap) Amiga games and
>packages. Likely? Not very. But it's about the only thing that could hold
>its own against the £650 DX2/66.

Great maker !! It appears that the development bods really do know what we all
want.

I don't suppose you could exert the power of T17 on AT and persuade them that
this would be a good idea ??

Back to the PSX, will you lot be developing software for it?

Rexx..

n, ____________________________
r.bi...@ucl.ac.uk _/ | _ \ \
aka Rex .. /' `'/ \ "Ghandi? \
<~ .' \ \
Wolf .' | \ He was that bald guy, \
Software _/ | \ \
_/ `.`. \ wore a sheet, \
____/ ' \__ | |______ \ \
__/___/ /__\ \ \ \___ \ right?" \
/ (___.'\_______)\_|_| \ \ \
\________ ~~~~~\___________________________\

john enger

Sep 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/27/95
Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:
: >support it from the off? After all, I don't see anyone refusing to
: >develop Playstation stuff, and no-one owns one of them yet...

: I wish it was that simple :-(

: Maybe no-one owns a PlayStation yet (I do, in fact :-)). But with over

: 1,000,000 already sold in other regions of the World, and guaranteed
: support from a shitload of developers (and a load of shit developers),
: there is no danger of a quality PlayStation game flopping. Especially
: since the machine is under £300.

Out of interest, did all this support come about from Sony throwing cash
around, or just because they managed to convince everyone it would be the
next big thing? And Escom/AT do something similar? (Admitedly on a
smaller scale)

: If and when AT do a RISC machine (and I really hope that they will), the

: chances are that it will be a graphics or multimedia workstation, and that
: it will cost 'quite a bit'. Hence, not a guranteed success :-(

: For my money AT need to put a Motorola 601 at 66MHz in a sub £500 machine

: with 8Mb RAM, a HD and the AAA chipset, a 3D rendering chip and backwards
: compatability with all those excellent (and cheap) Amiga games and
: packages. Likely? Not very. But it's about the only thing that could hold
: its own against the £650 DX2/66.

: These are not great times for the Amiga :-( Better days to come? I hope so.

Ok, so I oversimplified things a bit, but my general point was would you
support a new machine if the spec and the price were inside the ballpark?

BTW, IMHO a dx2-66 is a waste of money - inside a year (maybe 18 months) all
the jaw dropping stuff will require a pentium. They are already loads of
games that slow down on a dx2... probably because of shit coding but there
you go. You have to throw money at a PC to keep it upto date, and sooner or
later people are going to just stop doing it. Aren't they?

As for your spec on a RISC Amiga, its about right, although the AAA chipset
might be a bit out of date? (I'm not a developer, so I couldn't be sure). For
now a 50 Mhz '030, 2+2Mb RAM, 540 MB HD and some bundled s/w would be fine
at 499 inclusive... In a years time, 2+6Mb RAM and a 50 Mhz '060 would do.
(Not really very realistic I know.) However, since we're on the subject
(sort of) I'd like to see a 100Mhz 604, 8Mb, 1Gb HD and 15" monitor for
999.99 UKP That could exclude VAT, simply because all PC prices do, which
would make comparisons easier.

Ho-hum, I guess we'll have to just wait to see what happens for a change...

========================== john....@bbsrc.ac.uk ==========================

Keurentjes

Sep 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/27/95

In article <448pdj...@bhars12c.bnr.co.uk> p...@bnr.co.uk (Paul M Venkatesh) writes:
> In article <Doctor-2509...@spong.team17.co.uk>,
> Marcus 'Dr' Dee <Doc...@team17.com> wrote:
> >
> >When I was 22, I could afford £399 for an Amiga. Then I had to save hard
> >for a printer, a monitor, a hard drive etc...
> >
> >Now I'm 30, I can afford a Mac. That's growing up :-).
> >
> So, when you're 40, you'll be back with us as you'll be able to
> afford an Amiga 4000 :-)

You mean we'll have to wait for 10 years till AB3D shows up?!? Aaarrgghhh....

When's the demo coming boyz??? Or the game???? :(((((

Niels

__ \\
/// Marco Keurentjes Musix, Midi. \\ Mail to:
__ /// --------------------------------------------*>
\\\/// Niels Keurentjes Guitar, Programming. // ma...@sandman.iaehv.nl
\/// //

Mat Bettinson

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95
Salutations Marcus for on the 25 Sep 95, verilly did you scribe;

M'D> Now I'm 30, I can afford a Mac. That's growing up :-).

How so? I can afford a Mac but you'd have to drag me kicking a screaming to
buy one. I'd lay money on the fact my Amiga set-up cost more than your Mac.
Hell
I run Quark and Photoshop on my Amiga anyway.

I'm not sure if you intended to imply, when you said you grew up, that writing
for Amiga magazines was a juvenile activity.

I for one don't feel juvenile. I feel damn happy to have the privilege of
working for an Amiga Magazine.

.--, /\ _ _
_ ___ |CU| / \ |\/| | | _ |_|
/\/\(-) | @ `--' /----\ | | | |_| | | Staff technical writer
/ \
< Opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of my employer >

Angus Manwaring

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95
Brian Skreeg (o...@ozzy.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: While smelling of fish john enger (en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk) wrote:
: : ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: : Well thats nice to know at least. Out of interest, when (if?) AT release a
: : RISC Amiga of whatever flavour (cherry woul dbe nice! ;) will you guys
: : support it from the off? After all, I don't see anyone refusing to

: : develop Playstation stuff, and no-one owns one of them yet...

: Did I mention that I'm getting mine on friday?

How much are they giving you for the Megadrive, Oz? :)
--
Regards,
Angus.

I believe if you give a little bit of love to those you live with, a little
bit of love........... has got to come your way.

an...@angusm.demon.co.uk

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95
In article <89AC...@cu-amiga.demon.co.uk>, Mat Bettinson
<m...@cu-amiga.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Salutations Marcus for on the 25 Sep 95, verilly did you scribe;
>
> M'D> Now I'm 30, I can afford a Mac. That's growing up :-).
>
>How so? I can afford a Mac but you'd have to drag me kicking a screaming to
>buy one. I'd lay money on the fact my Amiga set-up cost more than your Mac.

Your Amiga set up may have cost more than my *Mac*, I doubt it cost more
than my Mac set-up though :-)

>Hell
>I run Quark and Photoshop on my Amiga anyway.

Why would you want to???
And when you do it is under emulation, at 680x0 speeds. Where at Power Mac
speed now Mat.

>I'm not sure if you intended to imply, when you said you grew up, that writing
>for Amiga magazines was a juvenile activity.

No, I did not. I did it until I was 29. I would still if anyone would
commision me.

>I for one don't feel juvenile. I feel damn happy to have the privilege of
>working for an Amiga Magazine.

It was a privilege I once hoped to give you myself.

> .--, /\ _ _
> _ ___ |CU| / \ |\/| | | _ |_|
>/\/\(-) | @ `--' /----\ | | | |_| | | Staff technical writer
> / \
>< Opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of my employer >

This entire mail says exactly the things I don't want it to say. Those who
know me will know what I mean. Those who don't shouldn't judge me by it,
but hey... this is Usenet, so you will anyway.

Mark Hillman

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
Brian Skreeg (o...@ozzy.demon.co.uk) wrote:
[Snip Playstion mentioned...]

: Did I mention that I'm getting mine on friday?

Git Git Git Git Git GIT.

I'm broke and can't afford one till about January.... :((

Damn phonebills...

Anyway to (vaguely) keep on topic here I'm not deserting the mig by buying a
PSX. I use my Amiga to net etc etc...

To play most excellent games I will use a PSX. Amiga games pale in
comparison to the new consoles. Not that I'll stop buying quality Amiga
games.... AB3D should it ever be released for example :)

Markus...
--
Give a man a fish & you'll feed him for a day -
Teach a man to fish and you lose a steady customer Mar...@globinc.demon.co.uk

Brian Skreeg

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95

: : Did I mention that I'm getting mine on friday?

: How much are they giving you for the Megadrive, Oz? :)

: an...@angusm.demon.co.uk

What megadrive? I wouldn't go near a Sega if I had to eat one to stay alive.

Keurentjes

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95

Just a little question for the guys at Team17. Has a new release-date
for AB3D been set? and for worms? I'm still waiting to spend my money
on your games. :(
If you keep waiting releasing it, you will never get those 10.000 copies sold. :)

James McArthur

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
Greg Hope (gr...@zip.com.au) wrote:

: In article <43ra2p$7...@pellew.ntu.edu.au> jam...@nutmeg.it.ntu.edu.au (James McArthur) writes:
: > Richard Baguley (bag...@team17.co.uk) wrote:
: >
: > [snip about Team17 Games etc]
: >
: > Then send some down here to Australia!! I've been trying to get my hands on
: > "old" releases such as Colonization to no avail - they just arent here :-(
: > I dont know how your distribution system works, but I think its broken
: > down in Australia.

: Richard,

: Ring Games Wizards in Lidcombe or Penrith NSW, Sigmacom in Miranda NSW,
: Computer Affair, in Willoughby NSW, just for a start. There are about 5 others
: who sell Amiga software/hardware through their stores and havent stopped.

Actually, I wrote that, but anyway, I called them all; they have NO new games
at all; Sigmacom, I was told, doesnt even sell games :-(

James

: --

Keurentjes

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
> >I'm not sure if you intended to imply, when you said you grew up, that writing
> >for Amiga magazines was a juvenile activity.
>
> No, I did not. I did it until I was 29. I would still if anyone would
> commision me.

Well, I wouldn't object to seeing your mug appear in CU Amiga.... So Mat, go ask
Alan if he can.... :)

> >I for one don't feel juvenile. I feel damn happy to have the privilege of
> >working for an Amiga Magazine.
>
> It was a privilege I once hoped to give you myself.

Perhaps it's just my knowledge of the English language, perhaps Marcus just made
a typo, but I THINK Marcus is implying here he once wanted to start an Amiga
magazine with Mat Bettinson as the Editor.....

Correct me if I'm wrong..... ;-\

Niels

btw. Mat, go out, do your job and secure A) an exclusive preview and B) a cover-
disk demo of Breathless for next month's CU......

The opinions expressed above are probable opposite to our employer's, but we don't
give a fuck 'coz we've never seen him on the Net anyway..... :)

__ \\
/// Marco Keurentjes Musix, Midi. \\ Homepage barely noticeable,
__ /// ---------------------------------------*> but can still be found at:
\\\/// Niels Keurentjes Guitar, Coding. // http://www.iaehv.nl/users/marco
\/// //

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/30/95

>Just a little question for the guys at Team17. Has a new release-date
>for AB3D been set? and for worms? I'm still waiting to spend my money
>on your games. :(
>If you keep waiting releasing it, you will never get those 10.000 copies
sold. :)

OK. Here is the absolute, total latest scoop. And I might not be supposed
to be telling you this, but hey... we're friends after all. Well, some of
us are :-)

AB3D is completely finished... in terms of design, gameplay etc etc. But,
just as it was about to be sent to the duplicators, a problem was
discovered with the way it handles memory which means that it won;t work
on an A1200 with a HD, or on a CD32.

But having spent months and months working very, very hard on it (and his
finals) Andy Clitheroe has gone on holiday. So we have to wait for him to
get back to fix it :-(

So, it's really, very, very nearly there... just a few last minute glitches.

Soon as they're sorted, adn it's to dupe, Baggers and I (as admins of the
Team 17 Web site) will make sure he does a demo, and that we put it up.
And we'll announce it in here too.

Sorry for the delay... normal service weill be resumed as soon as possible.

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Sep 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/30/95

>Perhaps it's just my knowledge of the English language, perhaps Marcus
just made
>a typo, but I THINK Marcus is implying here he once wanted to start an Amiga
>magazine with Mat Bettinson as the Editor.....
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong..... ;-\

Your knowledge of the English language is excellent. but you just
misunderstood that a little.

When I was editor of Amiga Format, Mat and I exchanged a couple of
letters. i was impressed with his opinions and his command of English, and
I was very keen on the idea of getting him to work for (with) us as soon
as a position became available. Alas the first position to become
available was at Team 17, and I took it.

But I'm glad to see that Mat did get gainful employ writing about the Amiga.

Best

Mark Sibly

Oct 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/1/95

In article <Doctor-2609...@spong.team17.co.uk>, Doc...@team17.com (Marcus 'Dr' Dee) says:

>In article <448ugi$1...@is.bbsrc.ac.uk>, en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john
>enger) wrote:
>
>>: After that, It's not my decision... If it was, we'd still be doing stuff.

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Well thats nice to know at least. Out of interest, when (if?) AT release a
>>RISC Amiga of whatever flavour (cherry woul dbe nice! ;) will you guys
>>support it from the off? After all, I don't see anyone refusing to
>>develop Playstation stuff, and no-one owns one of them yet...
>

>I wish it was that simple :-(
>
>Maybe no-one owns a PlayStation yet (I do, in fact :-)). But with over
>1,000,000 already sold in other regions of the World, and guaranteed
>support from a shitload of developers (and a load of shit developers),
>there is no danger of a quality PlayStation game flopping. Especially
>since the machine is under £300.
>

>If and when AT do a RISC machine (and I really hope that they will), the
>chances are that it will be a graphics or multimedia workstation, and that
>it will cost 'quite a bit'. Hence, not a guranteed success :-(
>

>For my money AT need to put a Motorola 601 at 66MHz in a sub £500 machine
>with 8Mb RAM, a HD and the AAA chipset, a 3D rendering chip and backwards
>compatability with all those excellent (and cheap) Amiga games and
>packages. Likely? Not very. But it's about the only thing that could hold
>its own against the £650 DX2/66.
>
>These are not great times for the Amiga :-( Better days to come? I hope so.

Mark Sibly

Oct 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/1/95
In article <Doctor-2609...@spong.team17.co.uk>, Doc...@team17.com
(Marcus 'Dr' Dee) says:
>For my money AT need to put a Motorola 601 at 66MHz in a sub £500 machine
>with 8Mb RAM, a HD and the AAA chipset, a 3D rendering chip and backwards
>compatability with all those excellent (and cheap) Amiga games and
>packages. Likely? Not very. But it's about the only thing that could hold
>its own against the £650 DX2/66.

God, how depressing.

In my opinion, an A1200 with 68030 @ 30ish Mhz with fastram would match a
DX2/66 for games.

Why? Better CPU architecture & Cleverer DMA (eg: sound effects that
don't require the CPU for mixing);

Plus the fact that Amiga programmers know a fuck of a lot more about the
computer they're actually using, where-as PC programmers tend to rely
a lot on third party libraries and a creaky OS.

I'm doing a full screen version of Gloom at the mo', and I'm fast
starting to realise what huge advantages a small(ish) step in Amiga-spec
can produce. I'm also feeling like a bit of an ignorant shit for having
done the chunky-copper thing in the first place. The speed gains are
really minimal with chunky-copper due to the copperlist chewing up so
much bandwidth on chipram only Amigas.

Unfortunately, Escom still haven't twigged onto the FastRam = FastAmiga
= BetterAmiga equation. But then, like you say, they appeared to be more
interested in the desktop video/pres/media etc blah stuff - A shame, as
it's here that the PC is really racing ahead with a huge range of software
and hardware.

But perhaps it shouldn't be Escom's responsibility to define a minimum
spec...

It seems to me that the Amiga's biggest problem over the years has been
the 'make it go on an A500' mentality of developers. While the PC had
developers brave enogh to say 'fuck it - so they'll need a hell setup
to play this game - so what? It'll be worth it!' (id, Origin and a few
others), the Amiga had few such visionaries. Developers back then were so
worried about making their games look like console games that they missed
the whole point - the Amiga is a computer, it can be expanded.

It's kind of ironic that Team 17 were actually one of the few who DID say
'stuff the minimum spec' in the early days, but now you're taking off
because the minimum spec is not good enough!

But in a way, maybe it's a good thing that publishers are pissing off.
It looks like there are a bunch of games on the horizon which are gonna
require a fair bit more than an off the shelf A1200. Maybe without
publishers around saying 'you can't do that', developers can be left
alone to write stuff that'll really stretch the Amiga.

The end is NOT nigh....

>These are not great times for the Amiga :-( Better days to come? I hope so.

My Amiga is quite unmoved by the whole situation.

>This email starred Marcus Dyson as Doc...@team17.com

Mark Sibly,
Black Magic

Jyrki Saarinen

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95

> I'm doing a full screen version of Gloom at the mo', and I'm fast
> starting to realise what huge advantages a small(ish) step in Amiga-spec
> can produce. I'm also feeling like a bit of an ignorant shit for having
> done the chunky-copper thing in the first place. The speed gains are

Blitterscreen perhaps? Multiple c2p routines for each different
resolution & CPU?

IMHO A1200 with fastram is able to run DOOM style game
about 15-20 fps on 160x128 resolution, 2x2 blocks fullscreen.

Philip Kaulfuss

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95
Keurentjes (ma...@sandman.iaehv.nl) wrote:

: btw. Mat, go out, do your job and secure A) an exclusive preview and B) a cover-

: disk demo of Breathless for next month's CU......

And if you do, make sure it WORKS! Last month's CU games disk was
a disaster.

--
_______ _,-----------------._ _______
`-.____`.-"" Philip Kaulfuss ""-,'____,-'

Crossbones

Oct 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/3/95
Mark Sibly (blkm...@ihug.co.nz) wrote:
: It seems to me that the Amiga's biggest problem over the years has been

: the 'make it go on an A500' mentality of developers. While the PC had
: developers brave enogh to say 'fuck it - so they'll need a hell setup
: to play this game - so what? It'll be worth it!' (id, Origin and a few
: others), the Amiga had few such visionaries. Developers back then were so
: worried about making their games look like console games that they missed
: the whole point - the Amiga is a computer, it can be expanded.

I wish more people could see this. That is very true. They do it ALL the
time on the PC. That is why you need the new motherboard every 6mos.
Granted, it may not be the perfect system, but neither is downgrading ported
games so they'll fit into a one meg machine.

The most recent that comes to mind is the article in one of the euro mags
featuring the programmer(s) behind Primal Rage. Talk about idiots! Even
after the interviewer got them to consider the fact that there are people
out there who have harddrives for their machines(?!) they were still saying
crap about only having a meg of chip to work with. (What? No fastram on
a hd system?) They were so worried about disk based users having to swap
too much.. Gee, isn't it about time to get these users w/o harddrives to
either spend a little $$ on their system, or make them see they'll need
a PC? (Which is ironic.. They'll spend MUCH more on the PC.)

: It's kind of ironic that Team 17 were actually one of the few who DID say

: 'stuff the minimum spec' in the early days, but now you're taking off
: because the minimum spec is not good enough!

I don't see what all the fuss is here. T17 was an OKAY company. They
made decent titles (assassin, project-x, a-b) then kept rehashing them
to death while amiga users kept praising them.

I would mention Body Blows, but that was ANOTHER hashup.. Frankly, I think
elf-mania was far prettier, but had about the same gameplay. Lack of special
moves doomed them both IMO.

: My Amiga is quite unmoved by the whole situation.

Yours too, eh? :)

: Mark Sibly,
: Black Magic

Nice work with Gloom, btw.

Steve.

Mat Bettinson

Oct 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/3/95
Salutations Marcus for on the 28 Sep 95, verilly did you scribe;

M'D> screaming to >buy one. I'd lay money on the fact my Amiga set-up cost
M'D> more than your Mac.

M'D> Your Amiga set up may have cost more than my *Mac*, I doubt it cost
M'D> more than my Mac set-up though :-)

Granted. :-) Then again you might be surprised at the massive expense I've
ploughed into my A3000... I know I am when I take stock.

M'D> >Hell
M'D> >I run Quark and Photoshop on my Amiga anyway.

M'D> Why would you want to???
M'D> And when you do it is under emulation, at 680x0 speeds. Where at Power
M'D> Mac speed now Mat.

You guys may be. EMAP isn't. (Well Images anyway) We all use 680x0 series
machines. Mac IIs and Quadras. At the end of the day my emulated Mac runs
quicker but I know what you're saying. I wont advocate that Amiga in an area it
just doesn't compete in. :-( However, I'll finish by saying that my Amiga
handles most of the stuff in the office if 'they' can't just jam it in
Photoshop
and go.

M'D> >I'm not sure if you intended to imply, when you said you grew up, that
M'D> writing >for Amiga magazines was a juvenile activity.

M'D> No, I did not. I did it until I was 29. I would still if anyone would
M'D> commision me.

OK great to hear. BTW you'd be surprised what current readers surveys are
showing about the Amiga market. I'll fill you in E-Mail.

M'D> >I for one don't feel juvenile. I feel damn happy to have the privilege
M'D> of >working for an Amiga Magazine.

M'D> It was a privilege I once hoped to give you myself.

That truly does warm my heart. Say, Marcus, if things don't work out with the
Amiga, need a tea boy up at T17? :-)

MARC EDWARD FORRESTER

Oct 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/3/95
Keurentjes <ma...@sandman.iaehv.nl> wrote:
>Best way to sell 030 and 040 boards is to insert a lot of innecessary loops in
>Workbench and Exec, rewrite Exec in Basic, and generally fu*k up all system rou-
>tines so badly that ppl will REQUIRE an 040 to even BOOT....... After all, that's
>what Microsuck did to the PC-market, and pentiums are selling like hell!!!!! :)

This kind of thing wouldn't work in the Amiga world though, would it?
There's always coders going around distributing Workbench improvers
free or shareware to the general public.

Keurentjes

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95

In article <Doctor-3009...@spong.team17.co.uk> Doc...@team17.com (Marcus 'Dr' Dee) writes:
> In article <marco...@sandman.iaehv.nl>, ma...@sandman.iaehv.nl wrote:
>
> >Just a little question for the guys at Team17. Has a new release-date
> >for AB3D been set? and for worms? I'm still waiting to spend my money
> >on your games. :(
> >If you keep waiting releasing it, you will never get those 10.000 copies
> sold. :)
>

> OK. Here is the absolute, total latest scoop. And I might not be supposed
> to be telling you this, but hey... we're friends after all. Well, some of
> us are :-)
>
> AB3D is completely finished... in terms of design, gameplay etc etc. But,
> just as it was about to be sent to the duplicators, a problem was
> discovered with the way it handles memory which means that it won;t work
> on an A1200 with a HD, or on a CD32.
>
> But having spent months and months working very, very hard on it (and his
> finals) Andy Clitheroe has gone on holiday. So we have to wait for him to
> get back to fix it :-(
>
> So, it's really, very, very nearly there... just a few last minute glitches.
>
> Soon as they're sorted, adn it's to dupe, Baggers and I (as admins of the
> Team 17 Web site) will make sure he does a demo, and that we put it up.
> And we'll announce it in here too.
>
> Sorry for the delay... normal service weill be resumed as soon as possible.

I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you!!!!

Niels

The opinions expressed above are probably opposite to our employer's, but we don't

Keurentjes

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95
> OK great to hear. BTW you'd be surprised what current readers surveys are
> showing about the Amiga market. I'll fill you in E-Mail.

Hey Mat, could you send me a carbon copy then???

I'd love to see that..... ;-)

btw. Why is the cu-amiga mailinglist not working???? I mailed that I wanted to
join it, but I guess you fu#ked something up in the mag, 'coz the mail got
bounced..... :(

Mat Bettinson

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95
Salutations Keurentjes for on the 29 Sep 95, verilly did you scribe;

K> btw. Mat, go out, do your job and secure A) an exclusive preview and B) a
K> cover-
K> disk demo of Breathless for next month's CU......

Games and demos aren't really my side of things but I did blast an E-Mail to
the
developers to see what can be done...

Mat Bettinson

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95
Salutations Philip for on the 02 Oct 95, verilly did you scribe;

PK> : btw. Mat, go out, do your job and secure A) an exclusive preview and
PK> B) a cover- : disk demo of Breathless for next month's CU......

PK> And if you do, make sure it WORKS! Last month's CU games disk was a
PK> disaster.

Unfortunate but you can get a full Fears 3 level demo from Disk Express by
returning your coverdisk.

To be perfectly honest, the full game didn't go down to well here.

You *ALL* want Alien Breed 3D. It's awesome.

Philip Kaulfuss

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95
Mat Bettinson (m...@cu-amiga.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Salutations Philip for on the 02 Oct 95, verilly did you scribe;

:
: PK> : btw. Mat, go out, do your job and secure A) an exclusive preview and
: PK> B) a cover- : disk demo of Breathless for next month's CU......
:
: PK> And if you do, make sure it WORKS! Last month's CU games disk was a
: PK> disaster.
:
: Unfortunate but you can get a full Fears 3 level demo from Disk Express by
: returning your coverdisk.

It's OK. I got the full game now and it's a good one IMHO. Not totally
brilliant, but by no means bad.

: To be perfectly honest, the full game didn't go down to well here.

:
: You *ALL* want Alien Breed 3D. It's awesome.

Maybe so, but I just can't get used to that tiny view window. =(
If Andy Clitheroe had AB3D in full screen to begin with (I heard
they're considering a full screen version??) then I might have
waited to get it instead.

--
_______ _,,---------------.._ _______

`-.____`.-'" Philip Kaulfuss "`-,'____,-'
`-.___\ ph...@boehme.demon.co.uk /___,-'

`-._>-.._________________,,-<_,-'

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95
In article <457j3c$12...@news.missouri.edu>, c62...@gold.missouri.edu
(Russ 'Argel' LeBar) wrote:

>Jason Compton (jcom...@flood.xnet.com) wrote:
>: Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:
>
>: : I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if we can make money from
>: : the Amiga, we'll develop for it. But at present we can't. Not unless we
>: : have absolute guaranteed best-sellers like AB3D and Worms. We're not being
>: : bread headed, but we have to pay the programmers, and we like them to earn
>: : what they deserve.
>
>: This is all totally ridiculous.

OK, you know far better than us, and I bow to your greater knowledge.
Please tell us what we should do next since you know so much aboput the
market, our overheads and our sales figures.

>: While I have to admit that Team17 is the only game company that gives
>: Amiga Report the time of day, and it's appreciated, the effort you put
>: into promoting games on the Amiga is far overshadowed by your efforts to
>: promote non-Amiga titles. This now changes the playing field. It's not,
>: "Can we make money?", it's "Are we interested in trying?"
>
>Not to mention how they complain games aren't selling well but omit the
>fact that some of those games are Kingpin and that pool/snooker one that
>just aren't going to sell (DUH - earth to T17, earth to T17... :-).
>Personally, I find this highly convenient for T17 to use as their reason
>for abandoning the Amiga. It'd be understandable if it were games that
>had a good chance of selling, but bailing out because a bowling and pool
>game don't sell is just plain ludicrous (and cheap)!

Arcade Pool was at number one for 13 weeks, Kingpin has been the best
selling Amiga Game of 1995 so far! (DUH! - Earth the Argel, earth to
Argel). Perhaps you don't know as much abou tthe market and our sales
figures as I first suspected.

A game that did not sell that well was SuperStardust. A super playable
cutting edge A1200 game (hey, I mean technically, I agree it was a version
of asteroids, but what a version!). After its failure, the coding team
behind it, the very respected Bloodhouse, decided not to do any more Amiga
games :-(
But you forgot to mention this as an example of the crap we have been
churning out, in favour of the far earlier, and far more successful Arcade
Pool.

So while our statements may be convenient, they are also true! We're not
saying we're getting out becuase our games are not selling well in
comparison to other, better, games. We're saying that we can't afford to
stay in because no games are selling well enough. This is not the case for
all companies. I believe that Mark Sibly is so pleased with the sales of
Gloom (roughly similar to those of the (budget priced) Kingpin) that he is
intending to do more AMiga stuff. This is good.

I'm sorry that you think our comments are "ridiculous" and "plain
ludicrous (and cheap)". Yours are just inaccurate.

>/---Russ-LeBar-------+------ c62...@missouri.edu ---------S()---------\
>| // Dare to Dream | Creator of Argel Ptrs & Term toolstrip imagery |
>| \X/ A M I G A | A1200-6MB-14Mhz881-426HD -- Term beta tester |
>+^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+
>|WWW: http://www.missouri.edu/~c621412/ - Kathy Troccoli, artwork, etc.|
>|FTP: musie.phlab.missouri.edu in pub/amiga - (Term betas, ArgelPtrs..)|
>\------S()--Argel----------- Opinions are mine & thus CORRECT =) ------/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah! This says it all.

Russ 'Argel' LeBar

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95
: (Russ 'Argel' LeBar) wrote:
: >Jason Compton (jcom...@flood.xnet.com) wrote:
: >: : Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:

: >: : I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if we can make money from
: >: : the Amiga, we'll develop for it. But at present we can't. Not unless we
: >: : have absolute guaranteed best-sellers like AB3D and Worms. We're not being
: >: : bread headed, but we have to pay the programmers, and we like them to earn
: >: : what they deserve.
: >
: >: This is all totally ridiculous.

: OK, you know far better than us, and I bow to your greater knowledge.
: Please tell us what we should do next since you know so much aboput the
: market, our overheads and our sales figures.

You didn't really cover Jason's point though - you aren't trying.
Instead of investing a little extra money (may take a small cut off your
profits from the PC versions) to help revitalize your amiga market, you are
just bailing out. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and
right now it doesn't seem like you're doing very much venturing.

[...]

<sigh> That's great, but there are also a lot of us out there who don't
buy very many games and you don't seem to be going after them. In other
words, you're complaining that the miga market is too small, but you are
not trying to expand that market! I rearly buy games - why? Because I
haven't seen jack out there that I really like right now. Only game I'm
thinking of getting is Hired Guns and it's a couple years old now!

: A game that did not sell that well was SuperStardust. A super playable

: cutting edge A1200 game (hey, I mean technically, I agree it was a version
: of asteroids, but what a version!). After its failure, the coding team
: behind it, the very respected Bloodhouse, decided not to do any more Amiga
: games :-(
: But you forgot to mention this as an example of the crap we have been
: churning out, in favour of the far earlier, and far more successful Arcade
: Pool.

I think you hit the reason SuperStardust didn't sell ver well right up
there (asteroids...). ust because it looks good doesn't make it play good
or make it worth the money (only 7 levels couldn't have helped that much
either).

: So while our statements may be convenient, they are also true! We're not

: saying we're getting out becuase our games are not selling well in
: comparison to other, better, games. We're saying that we can't afford to
: stay in because no games are selling well enough. This is not the case for
: all companies. I believe that Mark Sibly is so pleased with the sales of
: Gloom (roughly similar to those of the (budget priced) Kingpin) that he is
: intending to do more AMiga stuff. This is good.

: I'm sorry that you think our comments are "ridiculous" and "plain
: ludicrous (and cheap)". Yours are just inaccurate.

Not so. Saying something was a best seller in a failing (I assume you'd
you this is true from your viewpoint) market doesn't mean anything. I
mean, if you have a market of two people and sell two copies, then sure,
it's a best seller, but that doesn't address the issue of expanding the
market where the problem is. Admittidly (sp?) those extra people out
there might not make a big enough market, but if you don't try...

: >\------S()--Argel----------- Opinions are mine & thus CORRECT =) ------/
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Ah! This says it all.

:^)

Joshua Galun

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95
Russ 'Argel' LeBar (c62...@gold.missouri.edu) wrote:
: Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:

: You didn't really cover Jason's point though - you aren't trying.

: Instead of investing a little extra money (may take a small cut off your
: profits from the PC versions) to help revitalize your amiga market, you are
: just bailing out. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and
: right now it doesn't seem like you're doing very much venturing.

People don't seem to understand this point: Software companies
are in it to make money, not to save the Amiga. If you stop making money
from the Amiga market, you leave it until you can make money from it.

: : Arcade Pool was at number one for 13 weeks, Kingpin has been the best

: : selling Amiga Game of 1995 so far! (DUH! - Earth the Argel, earth to
: : Argel). Perhaps you don't know as much abou tthe market and our sales
: : figures as I first suspected.

: <sigh> That's great, but there are also a lot of us out there who don't
: buy very many games and you don't seem to be going after them. In other
: words, you're complaining that the miga market is too small, but you are
: not trying to expand that market! I rearly buy games - why? Because I
: haven't seen jack out there that I really like right now. Only game I'm
: thinking of getting is Hired Guns and it's a couple years old now!

This is rediculous. If Team 17 is making games that are selling
better than any other Amiga games out there, and they're still not making
money, then they are justified in leaving. And you say that they should
get you to buy games, but that you hardly ever buy games? How should
they do that? The only method you mention is to make better games. So
essentially you are saying to make better games, which is either related
to test and impossible to measure, or costs more money to make the game,
lowering profits. On the other hand, you don't have to go out and get
people to buy games on the PC. They go to the store and buy games when
they want to, and a lot do. If you don't buy games, don't blame the
software companies for leaving the Amiga, especially Team 17, who have
stayed for longer than most.

: Not so. Saying something was a best seller in a failing (I assume you'd

: you this is true from your viewpoint) market doesn't mean anything. I
: mean, if you have a market of two people and sell two copies, then sure,
: it's a best seller, but that doesn't address the issue of expanding the
: market where the problem is. Admittidly (sp?) those extra people out
: there might not make a big enough market, but if you don't try...

But it's not Team 17's responsibility to expand the market. Team
17 has tried. Team 17 has made tons of Amiga games. But it is up to
Amiga Technologies and IAS and all the other Amiga organizations to
encourage the growth of the market, not Team 17.

/// Joshua Galun \\\
/// Business Manager for Creative Edge Software \\\
\\\/// Check out our WWW page at http://outland.cyberwar.com/~zool \\\///
\\\/ The Amiga, JRR Tolkien, and The Simpsons. 'Nuff said. \///

Keurentjes

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95

In article <Doctor-0810...@spong.team17.co.uk> Doc...@team17.com (Marcus 'Dr' Dee) writes:
> Arcade Pool was at number one for 13 weeks, Kingpin has been the best
> selling Amiga Game of 1995 so far! (DUH! - Earth the Argel, earth to
> Argel). Perhaps you don't know as much abou tthe market and our sales
> figures as I first suspected.
>
> A game that did not sell that well was SuperStardust. A super playable
> cutting edge A1200 game (hey, I mean technically, I agree it was a version
> of asteroids, but what a version!). After its failure, the coding team
> behind it, the very respected Bloodhouse, decided not to do any more Amiga
> games :-(

It's hard to hear this, cause I think that superstardust was one of the best
games that hit my amiga. And I was hoping on a third one. :(
Maybe sales will go better, once there a more A1200's sold.

Marco

Russ 'Argel' LeBar

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95
Joshua Galun (zo...@cyberwar.com) wrote:
: Russ 'Argel' LeBar (c62...@gold.missouri.edu) wrote:
: : Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:

: People don't seem to understand this point: Software companies

: are in it to make money, not to save the Amiga. If you stop making money
: from the Amiga market, you leave it until you can make money from it.

I understand it just fine thank you.

: This is rediculous. If Team 17 is making games that are selling

: better than any other Amiga games out there, and they're still not making
: money, then they are justified in leaving. And you say that they should
: get you to buy games, but that you hardly ever buy games? How should
: they do that?

Convince me the game has lasting playability, lots of levels, etc.
Playability in games has gone down the drain in the last few years imo.

: The only method you mention is to make better games. So

: essentially you are saying to make better games, which is either related
: to test and impossible to measure, or costs more money to make the game,
: lowering profits.

Considering that my all time favorite game is a C64 one (believe it or
not, it's Fire King, the followup to Demon Stalkers; my favorite Amiga
game would probably be either Lemmings 2 or EOB II), I have to disagree here.

: On the other hand, you don't have to go out and get

: people to buy games on the PC. They go to the store and buy games when
: they want to, and a lot do. If you don't buy games, don't blame the
: software companies for leaving the Amiga, especially Team 17, who have
: stayed for longer than most.

If the software companies don't make games I want, I damn well will blame
them. I buy software that I want, thank you very much.

: But it's not Team 17's responsibility to expand the market. Team

: 17 has tried. Team 17 has made tons of Amiga games. But it is up to
: Amiga Technologies and IAS and all the other Amiga organizations to
: encourage the growth of the market, not Team 17.

It's also up to the software comapines. If they all bailed out, it
wouldn't matter what AT does.

(btw, T17, a fantasy based, puzzle biased, game based on the ab3d engine
would definitly catch my attention IF there was some charachter
interaction [this is the big problem with the Ishar series]).

Jason Compton

Oct 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/8/95
Joshua Galun (zo...@cyberwar.com) wrote:

: Russ 'Argel' LeBar (c62...@gold.missouri.edu) wrote:
: : Marcus 'Dr' Dee (Doc...@team17.com) wrote:

: : You didn't really cover Jason's point though - you aren't trying.

: : Instead of investing a little extra money (may take a small cut off your
: : profits from the PC versions) to help revitalize your amiga market, you are
: : just bailing out. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and
: : right now it doesn't seem like you're doing very much venturing.

: People don't seem to understand this point: Software companies

: are in it to make money, not to save the Amiga. If you stop making money
: from the Amiga market, you leave it until you can make money from it.

Oh, clever. So, let me get this straight. When Electronic Arts stopped
making money on Deluxe Paint III, they should have left the Amiga market
until it would support a non-HAM paint program, rather than find new ways
to appeal to Amiga artists?

: But it's not Team 17's responsibility to expand the market. Team
: 17 has tried. Team 17 has made tons of Amiga games. But it is up to
: Amiga Technologies and IAS and all the other Amiga organizations to
: encourage the growth of the market, not Team 17.

Software companies on other platforms DO think it's their responsibility to
expand the market. There's a software company called "Microsoft" that
does pretty well by itself by encouraging the growth of the PC platform.

-
Jason Compton jcom...@xnet.com
Editor-in-Chief, Amiga Report Magazine (708) 741-0689 FAX
I know what I like. And I like what I know.
It's getting better... Stepping one beyond your show.
AR on Aminet - docs/mags/ar???.lha AR Mailing list - Mail me
AR on WWW - http://www.omnipresence.com/Amiga/News/AR

scott c weddel

Oct 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/10/95
Would Team 17 consider buying the rights to games such as :

Reach For The Stars by Strategic Studies Group
Warlords II also by Strategic Studies Group
Rules of Engagement 2 by Omnitrend/Impressions
Breach 2 by Omnitrend - interlocks with Rules of Engagement

These games never received any Amiga advertisement, so they
didn't sell real well. They also have a number of bugs that
cause occasional lockups. Even so, they are the games I spend
the most time playing.

Civilization and the Settlers also keep me coming back. But
Civ has a rather poor computer opponent and bugs. And Settlers
takes control of my Amiga, preventing me from running background
tasks.

Another point that is important to me at least. I keep going back
to games with very modest graphics and well designed game engines.
Fancy graphics won't make up for a game that quickly becomes boring,
or has too steep a difficulty curve, or puts unreasonable limits
on the Amiga. The Settlers is an exception that combines good
graphics, sophistication, longevity, etc. I won't buy mediocre
software.

Something else I don't understand - why must games be written for
either the base A500 or an AGA machine? Any Amiga can be upgraded
with more memory and an accelerator. And AGA machines can run
non-AGA software. Why not write games for an ECS WorkBench 2.1
machine with at least 2 megs of RAM, a 68020, 1 meg of ChipRAM,
a hard drive, and even a CDROM drive?

Scott Weddel / Amiga 500 /68040/2MBchip/16MBfast/WB3.1/WB2.1/Aminet Set 1 \
/2GB 'cuda/230MO/Toshiba 3501/1.76FDD/SuperGen/DCTV/SmartPort+/
strider /Laserjet 4P PS 10MB/AG1970/Mits U82/Onkyo717/InfinitiRS10/KEF/
/Wordworth3.1/SAS-C/Imagine3.1/ADPro/Rules of Engagement/Breach\

john enger

Oct 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/11/95
scott c weddel (str...@shell.portal.com) wrote:
: I would have purchased StarDust, but I found the demo to be unplayably
: difficult to control. I like the arcade version and the Apple ][
: version of Asteroids, but I couldn't get started on StarDust.

I found that playing it on keys makes life very much easier... Once you
get the hang of it, the early parts are really quite easy - I can now get
past the second tunnel section with 8 lives left *without* cheating.
I never got a response to my reg. card tho'... In fact, I have registered
5 T17 games in my time, and never seen a bean. 8^(

: The best Amiga scrolling type game I've found so far is Apidya. I wish
: I had purchased that. Rated second just after Apidya, I also like
: Xenon 2. But I don't play Xenon 2 any more since it doesn't work very
: well with a 68040 and won't multitask.

bah! ;^) The best scrolly SEU is definately IMO battle Squadron, esp. in
2 player simultaneous mode. In fact, Battle Squadron was the only game I
had which wouldn't work with my 1200 which I missed...

: Mostly, I just wish games would return to the Work Bench rather than
: forcing a reboot when it's time to get some work done.

Too right! Its not like its hard to do either...

: Is there any chance of seeing a Team 17 CDROM compilation?

Good call! Do it!

========================= john....@bbsrc.ac.uk =====================///===
A1200, 40 Mhz '030, 2+4Mb RAM, 80Mb HD, 1960 MSync Monitor. ///
-------------------------------------------------------------------\XX/-----

Marcus 'Dr' Dee

Oct 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/11/95
In article <45gfpt$7...@is.bbsrc.ac.uk>, en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john
enger) wrote:

Quote: bah! ;^) The best scrolly SEU is definately IMO battle Squadron, esp. in
Quote: 2 player simultaneous mode. In fact, Battle Squadron was the only game I
Quote: had which wouldn't work with my 1200 which I missed...

Yeah!!! me too! Oh and SWIV of course.

Quote:
Quote: : Is there any chance of seeing a Team 17 CDROM compilation?
Quote:
Quote: Good call! Do it!

Do it! Do it! Do it!. I say yeah. I think its a fine idea. The Team 17
Amiga super-duper compilation with everything ever (including Overdrive
and Kingpin :-)) on one fun packed CD ROM. I'd buy it!

Gareth Edwards

Oct 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/13/95
Doc...@team17.com (Marcus 'Dr' Dee) wrote:

> en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john enger) wrote:
>
> Quote: bah! ;^) The best scrolly SEU is definately IMO battle Squadron, esp. in
> Quote: 2 player simultaneous mode. In fact, Battle Squadron was the only game I
> Quote: had which wouldn't work with my 1200 which I missed...
>
> Yeah!!! me too! Oh and SWIV of course.

Vertical shooty games. Bleh :)

Can't really think which was my fave, althought Battle Squadron was damn
impressive.

> Quote:
> Quote: : Is there any chance of seeing a Team 17 CDROM compilation?
> Quote:
> Quote: Good call! Do it!
>
> Do it! Do it! Do it!. I say yeah. I think its a fine idea. The Team 17
> Amiga super-duper compilation with everything ever (including Overdrive
> and Kingpin :-)) on one fun packed CD ROM. I'd buy it!

Are you alright Marcus? I it those bloody awful quote strings that are
getting to you?

If I had a CD-ROM drive, I'd probably buy one.

There's a point; why do Amiga mags rarely reviews internal CD drive that'll
fit into A2,3 or 4ooo Amigas? It's always A1200 this and A1200 that. Doh!

Love & Life,

G.
--
Gareth Edwards, Leeds, UK. <con...@ultim.demon.co.uk>

FUTURE LOVE PARADISE: http://www.cis.yale.edu/~ariedels/seal.html

scott c weddel

Oct 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/14/95
en...@arco7.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk (john enger) writes:

>scott c weddel (str...@shell.portal.com) wrote:
>: I would have purchased StarDust, but I found the demo to be unplayably

> I found that playing it on keys makes life very much easier... Once you

Since the demo should be on one of my aminet CDs, I may have to give it
another shot.

>: The best Amiga scrolling type game I've found so far is Apidya. I wish

>bah! ;^) The best scrolly SEU is definately IMO battle Squadron, esp. in

>2 player simultaneous mode. In fact, Battle Squadron was the only game I

>had which wouldn't work with my 1200 which I missed...

Yes, you're right. I forgot to mention Battle Squadron. I've spent many
hours in two player mode. But I moved away from my gamer buddies, and
haven't played in quite a while. This is another game that doesn't work
quite right unless I switch back to 68000 mode and run degrader. Which
means hot swapping the joystick in place of the mouse. Also, the floppy
is copy protected. Is there a way to make a backup?