SSW on Fish 839

David Ingebretsen

Mar 30, 1993, 5:09:37 PM3/30/93
Looks like a fun game but it won't start on my 3000. The startup screen
shows it's loading the .drv(?) file, then a flash of the game screen and
a requestor that I can't read. No guru, no crash, just "no work".

Any help???????

--
David

David M. Ingebretsen
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.
ding...@thunder.sim.es.com

Disclaimer: The content of this message in no way reflects the
opinions of my employer, nor are my actions
encouraged, supported, or acknowledged by my
employer.

James Cleverdon

Mar 31, 1993, 4:58:49 PM3/31/93
In article <C4q2w...@javelin.sim.es.com> ding...@imp.sim.es.com (David Ingebretsen) writes:

:Looks like a fun game but it won't start on my 3000. The startup screen

You need the SSW.grv file. It doesn't have an icon, so if you moved
things around using the Workbench it will get lost. SSW.grv must be
in the directory that contains SSW if SSW is run from the Workbench,
or in the current directory if run from the Shell. Or, put SSW.grv
in a directory and Assign SSW: to that directory.

The program won't run if it can't load the gravity table. The "Can't
open" requester was supposed to stay open until you press a key or
click the left mouse button. Oh well....

--
James Cleverdon
jam...@sequent.com

Disclaimer: It couldn't have been me, Your Honor. I was in Ulan Bator
at the time.

Mats Persson

Apr 1, 1993, 3:09:00 AM4/1/93
jam...@sequent.com (James Cleverdon) writes:

>In article <C4q2w...@javelin.sim.es.com> ding...@imp.sim.es.com (David Ingebretsen) writes:

>:Looks like a fun game but it won't start on my 3000. The startup screen
>:shows it's loading the .drv(?) file, then a flash of the game screen and
>:a requestor that I can't read. No guru, no crash, just "no work".

On my A4000 I don't see my own ship. It's invisible. I see the opponent
and my own shots but not my ship :-(

/Mats
--
Mats Persson (d9m...@dtek.chalmers.se)

Chalmers University of Technology

Andrew Clayton

Apr 2, 1993, 6:34:15 AM4/2/93
In article <d9mats.7...@dtek.chalmers.se>, Mats Persson writes:

> jam...@sequent.com (James Cleverdon) writes:
>
> >In article <C4q2w...@javelin.sim.es.com> ding...@imp.sim.es.com (David Ingebretsen) writes:
>
> >:Looks like a fun game but it won't start on my 3000. The startup screen
> >:shows it's loading the .drv(?) file, then a flash of the game screen and
> >:a requestor that I can't read. No guru, no crash, just "no work".
>
> On my A4000 I don't see my own ship. It's invisible. I see the opponent
> and my own shots but not my ship :-(

You have to run under the original chipset!

SSW is keen; pity I live with non-game-players. :-(

Dac
--
d...@prolix.apana.org.au David Andrew Clayton. // _| _ _
d...@prolix.sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au Canberra, Australia \X/ (_](_](_

sagana...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2018, 8:34:05 PM3/5/18
Hi James,

Did you ever release the SSW source code? The Amiga is experiencing something of a resurgence due to the FPGA Apollo Vampire, and a lower cost PowerPC unit coming out. I'm sure somebody would love to make an AGA compatible version.

Anyway, what's the grav table all about?