[REQ Info]: Beneath a steel sky... does an AGA version exist?

kappa

Dec 10, 2002, 3:14:47 PM12/10/02
it's a lot of time that I'm following the trails of this game, and I
have a big question for you all: is the AGA version (I mean 256
colours) of "Beneath a steel sky" real or not? I got a lot of
different answers 'till now, and I want to clear this up for once.

Proof of its existence come from places like this
http://www.back2roots.org/About/Find/?find=beneath+a+steel
where I found:
>"- Beneath A Steel Sky AGA 1994 Revolution Software / Virgin - en - -
aga30 >CD32 Version, "

or here
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/
where I found:
>"Back to the Roots" has a freely downloadable 32-Color CD32 version
than runs >well in WinUAE.
>http://www.back2roots.org/
>There's a better 256-color version that is basically identical to the
PC >version, but it's neither freely downloadable nor easy to find
(very rare >apparently).

What is the truth about this matter? And... the final question ;-) ,
is eventually the game available as an adf or iso on the net?

Thanks for listening and i hope to get a real answer, 'coz I've
searched back and forth google for other info, but in the end I still
have a lot of doubts!

greets
kappa

Nathan

Dec 10, 2002, 5:02:10 PM12/10/02
kappa wrote:

> What is the truth about this matter? And... the final question ;-) ,
> is eventually the game available as an adf or iso on the net?
>
> Thanks for listening and i hope to get a real answer, 'coz I've
> searched back and forth google for other info, but in the end I still
> have a lot of doubts!

Is the game itself actually labelled as AGA? Or is this just the
generic tag the BTTR guys have given it, being a CD32 release.

It's probably just, officially, the CD32 version. The CD32 version
had spoken dialogue rather than the simple text of the floppy one.
This added a very sellable feature to the game, and would pad out
the CD making it difficult to pirate/rip to floppy. And with the
dialogue having already been done for the PC version, it was cheap
to add.

Enhanced graphics, on the other hand, didn't have so many advantages.
The company wouldn't expect such a return on investment for that.

I'd be truly surprised if there -was- a 256 colour version. I mean,
if there was going to be one of those, why make a 32 colour CD32
version at all? It makes no business sense.

It wasn't partucularly uncommon to label a game as CD32/AGA, when it
was nothing more than the ECS version on CD. Superfrog was another
one like this. Superfrog CD32 runs fine on ECS Amiga's.

Nathan.

Tommy "StarEye" Stenberg

Dec 10, 2002, 5:40:38 PM12/10/02

"Nathan" <tko...@yahoo.co.nz> skrev i melding

Wasn't it due to the fact that AGA machines had 2 mb chip memory as
standard, and as the CD32 was 2mb, thus calling it an AGA-machine? I thought
it was. Everyone liked the simple version on the Amiga-boxes those days...
not like their rival, the PC-games, where all sorts of information had to be
taken into account. Where you had the PC game say, Requires a 386 100% IBM
compatible processor, 25mhz, 4 mb ram, 15mb hd etc etc with soundcard and
everything, the amiga-box just said, Amiga 1200/4000...
That's what I loved about old console/computer mix. And that's why I like
gaming on consoles better than on a PC, because you know you'll be able to
run it on it's full potential speed, compared to the PC, where you may never
know if the game is even certain to work.

If wish Monkey Island 2 would have been optimized for an Amiga 1200, I
believe the AGA chipset would be drastically better than the dreadful
PC-version. Amiga always had much "cleaner" graphics... to bad the AGA
wasn't fully used to it's potential, as a lot of 256 coloured games would
look even better on an Amiga. Only a selective few did it, like
Adventuresoft and it's Simon the Sorcerer.

StarEye

Peter Olafson

Dec 10, 2002, 6:57:26 PM12/10/02
To the best of my knowledge, the only 256-color version of Beneath a Steel
Sky is the PC
version. As I recall, the CD32 version is graphically identical to the
disk-based Amiga version. The only major change from the disk version is the
addition of speech.

Peter

"kappa" <kl...@mediacity.it> wrote in message

Nathan

Dec 10, 2002, 10:14:24 PM12/10/02
Peter Olafson wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, the only 256-color version of Beneath a
> Steel Sky is the PC version. As I recall, the CD32 version is
> graphically identical to the disk-based Amiga version. The only major
> change from the disk version is the addition of speech.

Yes, thanks Peter, that's what I thought. Our local computer shop
had a copy of "Beneath a Steel Sky" for the CD32, and when I was
drilling them about what was different in that version (I already
had the ECS one, so there had to be lots of improvements to interest
me) .. they were telling me that speech was the only addition.

Well, the also said the fact that it was on a CD was a big bonus,
and it is. But since I already had the game, that wasn't enough.

The people I was talking to were pretty keen on their Amiga games..
The second a great title like that came into the shop they would
have the CD out of the box and be trying it out. So if there were
any graphical improvements to the CD32 version I'm in no doubt that
they would have told me.

So from that and the word of Peter, I would bet money there was no
256 colour version for the Amiga. Shame, eh? (Rise of the Dragon
was another one where I wished the Miggy had had a 256 colour port
of it .. coz the PC one was of that colour-depth. Ah well. Like
Tommy mentioned with Monkey Island 2, we seemed to get stuck with
ECS graphics with a lot of ports.)

Nathan.

Angelo

Dec 11, 2002, 1:28:20 AM12/11/02

"Nathan" <tko...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message

Wonder if the CD32 version had any FMV on it like the PC version?
Granted you would need either the FMV cartridge to see it or they
would have to use the CDXL format for FMV like on the Nasa 25th
Anniversary CD32 disc. (320X200 IFIRC)

Jim

Peter Olafson

Dec 11, 2002, 1:23:49 PM12/11/02
No. The only CD32 game with FMV was Cannon Fodder, and that was only in the
intro. I seem to recall that a full FMV game (the name eludes me) was
announced, but I don't think it ever surfaced.

Peter

"Angelo" <james...@cox.net> wrote in message

Angus Manwaring

Dec 11, 2002, 2:27:47 AM12/11/02
On 10-Dec-02 20:14:47, kappa said

>Hi,
>it's a lot of time that I'm following the trails of this game, and I
>have a big question for you all: is the AGA version (I mean 256
>colours) of "Beneath a steel sky" real or not? I got a lot of
>different answers 'till now, and I want to clear this up for once.

>Proof of its existence come from places like this
>http://www.back2roots.org/About/Find/?find=beneath+a+steel
>where I found:
>>"- Beneath A Steel Sky AGA 1994 Revolution Software / Virgin - en - -
>aga30 >CD32 Version, "

I'm afraid it doesn't answer your question, but I found the following text
attached to several of the files on my CD32 version. It may interest or
amuse you:

Virtual Theatre System 2.0 designed by Tony Warriner. All code, graphics,
text & sound (c)1994 Revolution Software Ltd. This version 18 \ 10 \
1994 At the beginning the programmers were happy and did rejoice at
their task, for the Amiga before them did shineth and was full of promise.
But then they did look closer and did see'th the awful truth; it's
floppies were tiny and sloweth (rareth was its hard drive). And so small
was it's memory that did at first appear large; queereth also was its
configuration(s). Then they did findeth another Amiga, and this was
slightly different from the first. Then a third, and this was different
again. All different, but not really better, for all were psuedo backward
compatible. But, eventually, it did come to pass that Steel Sky was
implemented on a 1meg os-legal CBM Amiga. And the programmers looked and
saw that it was indeed a miracle. But they were not joyous and instead did
weep for nobody knew just what had been done.

All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

kappa

Dec 11, 2002, 2:19:33 PM12/11/02
Nathan <tko...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message news:<at6aij$10stfn$1...@ID-166444.news.dfncis.de>...
> Peter Olafson wrote:
> > To the best of my knowledge, the only 256-color version of Beneath a
> > Steel Sky is the PC version. As I recall, the CD32 version is
> > graphically identical to the disk-based Amiga version. The only major
> > change from the disk version is the addition of speech.
[CUT]
> So from that and the word of Peter, I would bet money there was no
> 256 colour version for the Amiga. Shame, eh?
[CUT]
> Nathan.

I have heard another opinion, that this infamous ;-) AGA version was a
disc A1200 only version...
is another bad thread or what?

BTW thanks for all the very informative answers ^__^

Peter Olafson

Dec 11, 2002, 2:56:28 PM12/11/02
No such creature. Sorry.

Peter

John Burns

Dec 11, 2002, 8:13:12 PM12/11/02
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:23:49 GMT, "Peter Olafson" wrote:

> No. The only CD32 game with FMV was Cannon Fodder, and that was only in the
> intro. I seem to recall that a full FMV game (the name eludes me) was
> announced, but I don't think it ever surfaced.
>
> Peter

Final Gate had FMV in it (reverted to CDXL anims for non FMV CD32s) mind you it
was shite and I don't think many people bought it.

Peter Olafson

Dec 12, 2002, 2:29:46 AM12/12/02
Thanks; that's the one I meant.

"John Burns" <jo...@grizo.free-onlineNOJUNK.co.uk> wrote in message

Andreas Eibach

Dec 15, 2002, 6:16:56 PM12/15/02

"Nathan" <tko...@yahoo.co.nz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> It wasn't partucularly uncommon to label a game as CD32/AGA, when it
> was nothing more than the ECS version on CD. Superfrog was another
> one like this. Superfrog CD32 runs fine on ECS Amiga's.

(Nice tip. Didn't know that.)
Yes, but Alfred Chicken CD32 would cause some serious problems there
methinks :)

Andreas

Matthias Puch

Dec 22, 2002, 6:40:01 AM12/22/02
Nathan <tko...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>kappa wrote:
>
>>What is the truth about this matter? And... the final question
>>;-) , is eventually the game available as an adf or iso on the
>>net?
>>
>>Thanks for listening and i hope to get a real answer, 'coz I've
>>searched back and forth google for other info, but in the end I
>>still have a lot of doubts!
>
>Is the game itself actually labelled as AGA? Or is this just the
>generic tag the BTTR guys have given it, being a CD32 release.

I would suspect so.

>It's probably just, officially, the CD32 version. The CD32
>version had spoken dialogue rather than the simple text of the
>floppy one. This added a very sellable feature to the game, and
>would pad out the CD making it difficult to pirate/rip to floppy.
>And with the dialogue having already been done for the PC version,
>it was cheap to add.
>
>Enhanced graphics, on the other hand, didn't have so many
>advantages. The company wouldn't expect such a return on
>investment for that.

256 colour graphics could have been added with the same cheapness of
investment as the speech, because the PC version featured 256 colour
VGA graphics.
Although one must admit that the difference between the 32 colour Amiga
graphics and the VGA graphics were much less notable than in other
games of the time.