Amiga platform games suck... S-NES and Genesis is breathtaking.

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Jul 31, 1992, 3:47:00 AM7/31/92

I don't believe this is happening again but... a long while ago, I
bought an 8bit NES system because the games were so much better than
my C64... then, I bought an 8bit Sega system because it seemed better
than a nintendo... (35 Nintendo and 10 sega games later) I sold them
all to get my hands on an amiga500. Wow! the games kicked the tar
our of any of those systems!

Today, I just rented Street Fighter II and a S-NES system for $15 on
3 days from Blockbusters Video... I am in total awe. It is
exactly like the arcade!!!! I cannot tell them apart!!!! I'm
not going to sell my Amiga for a S-NES but at the rate at how
poor the quality of games for the Amiga is goin... I might as well
buy one of these systems.

Does Final Fight compare to the arcade? I'm asking since I don't think
they have Street Fighter II for the Amiga right? *My thumbs are sore
for playing the game for 11 hours straight now... :)*

alan

Marc J. Brown

Jul 31, 1992, 4:22:10 AM7/31/92
In article <31JUL199...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:

>Today, I just rented Street Fighter II and a S-NES system for $15 on
>3 days from Blockbusters Video... I am in total awe. It is
>exactly like the arcade!!!! I cannot tell them apart!!!! I'm
>not going to sell my Amiga for a S-NES but at the rate at how
>poor the quality of games for the Amiga is goin... I might as well
>buy one of these systems.

You're making it sound like "SNES and Genesis will be the Amiga's undoing."
Not as such. I bought a SNES and got StreetFighter2 the day it was out in
Japan (I don't live there, no), and you're right, it's really close, and it
makes the SNES worthwhile. But how does this affect the Amiga? It doesn't.
The Amiga isn't quite capable of handling what the SNES does in the video-
gaming area, but then most people don't buy their Amiga 100% for games.
But those who do realize that the Amiga has a special trait that all
computers have: Cheap storage medium. Therefore, Amiga-owners don't go
head-over-heels over a 2-megabyte game; it's a fairly standard size (when
you consider that they DO compress)... what good is it? It doesn't help
gameplay; that's up to the coders. It DOES help promote excellent music,
sound effects, and animations. The music for SF2, as I'm sure you noticed,
is a giant leap down from what the arcade produced. So are the sound
effects. In fact, there were corners cut wherever they could be, in graphics,
sprite count, etc. Yet if they didn't have to worry about the size of the
cart, they could practically have had a carbon-copy of the arcade version,
as opposed to a "pretty darn close!" copy, since the SNES's hardware
theoretically allows for such a feat.

Back to the fact that most people don't have Amigas for games... I myself
bought mine because I was tired of Nintendo-ish music, and fed up with
low-grade synth (a-la SoundBlaster). The Amiga still has the most impressive
sound in any micro (aside from the SNES, which is not a computer), after all
these years. I also got it for entertainment, but games are not all there
is (referring, of course, to EuroDemos).

Enough lecturing. Comments are unavoidable :)

_ __ ___ ____ _____ _____________ __ _ ___ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
///_//__//___//____//_______ _ \\// \\ // \V/ )/ )/ )/ )/ )/ ) // // //
mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu / // /) )/ _ \V/ _ // (/ // _ // (/ / \X/ \X/ \X/
"You fat, bloated BAKA!!" (_/(_/(_/(_/ \_)\_)\_)\___/(_/ \_)\___/ of Megawatts

James D. Robbins

Jul 31, 1992, 10:54:17 AM7/31/92

>alan

Perhaps you should consider that the amiga is not only a game machine. There
are many arcade quality games I have seen on the amiga. Ever see a game by
Psygnosis? You know, you can render or Word process or do a hundred more
things with an amiga. And besides the Super NES is only a 3.5 MhZ Machine.
It has terible slowdown problems when you have a game with a lot of sprites
and things. Just check out Super R-Type and you will see what I mean. Later.

--
///\ You know it rules!! | Jim Robbins Jr.
///__\ _____ __ | rob...@iastate.edu

Chuck Woo

Jul 31, 1992, 6:48:12 PM7/31/92
In article <1992Jul31.0...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Marc J. Brown) writes:
>Back to the fact that most people don't have Amigas for games... I myself
>bought mine because I was tired of Nintendo-ish music, and fed up with
>low-grade synth (a-la SoundBlaster). The Amiga still has the most impressive
>sound in any micro (aside from the SNES, which is not a computer), after all
>these years.

SNES?!? the few SNES games I've seen (on tv shows or in person) put me
into alternating fits of laughter and pain, as far as sound is concerned.
the classic example of this is Super Mario World, which they demo at the
local Software Etc.; it's so horrendous I don't even go there anymore!
(okay, well, I don't go there cuz the amiga selection stinks, too)

I actually used to think the mac had good sound, when I heard one playing
a sample from that old game Uninvited... until I heard an amiga :)

--
---------------------------------------------///
Chuck Woo wch...@ocf.berkeley.edu ///

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Jul 31, 1992, 7:14:00 PM7/31/92

>Back to the fact that most people don't have Amigas for games... I myself
>bought mine because I was tired of Nintendo-ish music, and fed up with
>low-grade synth (a-la SoundBlaster). The Amiga still has the most impressive
>sound in any micro (aside from the SNES, which is not a computer), after all
>these years. I also got it for entertainment, but games are not all there
>is (referring, of course, to EuroDemos).
>
>Enough lecturing. Comments are unavoidable :)

Most people also don't pay as much attention to the sound f/x as they do
the animation and game plot... Talking about what the amiga can do is
way off line. The is CSA.games remember? You seem to place too much
emphasis on sound and (whoopee) Euro Demos. I've not seen many games that
can match those found in the new gaming consoles.

alan

Ryan Jon Lippert

Jul 31, 1992, 11:24:47 PM7/31/92
Look,
If these is one % of doubt weather to get a console or an Amiga. He needs
a console, Because if he buys an Amiga he MIGHT even be creative with it
and do something worthwhile. Instead of joining the masses of Zombie Console
gamers. But if games he wants a console is for him..

Marc J. Brown

Aug 1, 1992, 1:30:32 AM8/1/92
In article <15cfvc...@agate.berkeley.edu> wch...@ocf.berkeley.edu (Chuck Woo) writes:
>In article <1992Jul31.0...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Marc J. Brown) writes:
>>The Amiga still has the most impressive
>>sound in any micro (aside from the SNES, which is not a computer), after all
>>these years.
>
>SNES?!? the few SNES games I've seen (on tv shows or in person) put me
>into alternating fits of laughter and pain, as far as sound is concerned.

Well, the Amiga currently has 4-voice digitized at 51Khz, which is awesome
(and great quality) (8-bit, of course). The SNES has 8-voice digitized at
who-knows-what (probably max 22.1 Khz), which is a step up from 4 voices...
However, the SNES's current incapability to use inexpensive data-storage
media (like disks and CDs) makes it to where programmers for it are afraid
to spend too much ROM on sound. Consequentially, we usually hear sound from
it that sounds no better than what the Genesis does. Once the CD-ROM comes
out, that won't be a problem (yet, it WILL raise the overall price beyond
what an A500 costs these days :).

Marc J. Brown

Aug 1, 1992, 1:39:06 AM8/1/92
In article <31JUL199...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:

>Most people also don't pay as much attention to the sound f/x as they do
>the animation and game plot... Talking about what the amiga can do is
>way off line. The is CSA.games remember?

I was giving examples for my original relevant statements.

>You seem to place too much
>emphasis on sound and (whoopee) Euro Demos.

Your point? What can I say? I like both of those aspects of the Amiga
experience :). Sound is vital for games, and EuroDemos are great at proving
that the Amiga is just as capable as the average console.

>I've not seen many games that
>can match those found in the new gaming consoles.

'Cause people don't expect to sell their games for $60 when they code for the
Amiga. You get what you pay for. Besides, the Amiga is a computer, not
a one-capability console. It makes more sense to compare its gaming ability
to that of other computers (though that's not what this thread's about :).

UD19...@ndsuvm1.bitnet

Jul 31, 1992, 10:30:41 AM7/31/92

SNES: SF II on the SNES is a 16 Megabyte cartridge. Could you imagine what
could be produced on the Amiga if they used 16 megs? Just think they could
have used HAM and had digitized sound. This, IMO, would make SF II better than
the arcade version. Also, the SNES version only supports playing 8 of the
characters. They are a few more than that, 16 I believe, on the arcade.
If you think the SNES is good, fine, but just realize how much memory they
had to use in order to make that game in the first place. I think Monkey
Island on the Amiga is much more advanced because of what they squeezed into
slightly less than 4 megabytes... Just my $.02 worth.

Kenneth Churchill

K5...@cunyvm.bitnet

Aug 1, 1992, 11:48:56 AM8/1/92
In article <92213.0930...@NDSUVM1.BITNET>, <UD19...@NDSUVM1.BITNET>
says:
Actually,the SNES games use MEGABITS.Divide by 8 and you get a grand total of 2
MEGABYTES.big difference,eh?Besides,people buy the SNES for its' action games
and we bought the Amiga for other purposes.:)
L8r!
KLAZAR
P.S. I haven't figured out how to delete lines with this program.Can someone
help me?Thanx.I hate to waste bandwidth.

Clayton Miner

Aug 1, 1992, 8:12:32 AM8/1/92
RE: Emphasis on sound

Well, one ofthe best uses I put my old, steam-driven Amiga 1000 to is playing
digitized sound effects for my gamers while we are playing whatever it is we
are playing. Can't beat the look on the face of a new gamer when the party has
a run in with an Imperial Walker and I play a sample that shakes the floor...
;)

Skeksis

Richard McGowen

Aug 1, 1992, 3:57:21 PM8/1/92
In article <92213.0930...@NDSUVM1.BITNET> UD19...@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

>SNES: SF II on the SNES is a 16 Megabyte cartridge. Could you imagine what

16 MegaBIT probably. Only equals 2 Megabytes.

>could be produced on the Amiga if they used 16 megs? Just think they could
>have used HAM and had digitized sound. This, IMO, would make SF II better than

Ham does not work well for animation.

>the arcade version. Also, the SNES version only supports playing 8 of the
>characters. They are a few more than that, 16 I believe, on the arcade.

SF II only supports 8, it is the championship version or whatever that
supports more.

> If you think the SNES is good, fine, but just realize how much memory they
>had to use in order to make that game in the first place. I think Monkey
>Island on the Amiga is much more advanced because of what they squeezed into
>slightly less than 4 megabytes... Just my $.02 worth.
>

> Kenneth Churchill

I am not trying to attack you. I personally own an amiga and would
rather stick with amigas. I just like to avoid spreading
misinformation.

Richard

(Hopefully the "new product" line this fall will include chips that can
blow the SNES away.)

Steven T Chiang

Aug 1, 1992, 2:52:39 PM8/1/92
In article <92213.0930...@NDSUVM1.BITNET> <UD19...@NDSUVM1.BITNET> writes:

>SNES: SF II on the SNES is a 16 Megabyte cartridge. Could you imagine what
>could be produced on the Amiga if they used 16 megs? Just think they could
>have used HAM and had digitized sound. This, IMO, would make SF II
>better than the arcade version. Also, the SNES version only supports
>playing 8 of the characters. They are a few more than that, 16 I
>believe, on the arcade.

Ahh, but now you are showing your ignorance. SF2 is a 16
megabit cartridge which is very different from 16 megabytes. 16
megabits = 2 megs.

SF2 for the SNES is simply Street Fighter II. Not Street
Fighter II: The Championship Edition. The CE version allows you to
play the extra 4 characters.

> If you think the SNES is good, fine, but just realize how much memory they
>had to use in order to make that game in the first place. I think Monkey
>Island on the Amiga is much more advanced because of what they squeezed into
>slightly less than 4 megabytes... Just my $.02 worth.

Actually, the SNES doesn't have that much memory. I believe
it has 64k of video ram, and 128k of ram. There are other ram areas,
but they are trivial...

Steven Chiang Order - DreamGrafix: The ONLY 16/256/3200
st...@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu color paint program for the Apple IIGS.
America On_Line: DWS Steve
Genie: S.Chiang4 Apple IIGS Forever!

Gregory G Greene

Aug 1, 1992, 4:33:05 PM8/1/92
>Richard
>

>(Hopefully the "new product" line this fall will include chips that can
>blow the SNES away.)

But will the new chipset get any support from game companies? I
can see 3d graphics packages and video software supporting it, but not
game software. It seems to me that game companies still look at the
A500 with 1 meg as the machine to sell to. Will A500's or A600's be able
to use the new chipset? If not, I can't see many game companies making
an effort to support it.

G.Greene

George Francis McBay

Aug 1, 1992, 6:08:38 PM8/1/92
In article <92213.0930...@NDSUVM1.BITNET> <UD19...@NDSUVM1.BITNET> writes:

>SNES: SF II on the SNES is a 16 Megabyte cartridge. Could you imagine what

Actually it's 2 Megabytes. Don't fall for Console Makers use
of "Mega" or "MB" they stand for MegaBIT, 1/8 of a MegaBYTE.

Ryan Jon Lippert

Aug 1, 1992, 11:39:24 PM8/1/92
Hello???? 16 meg MEANS 16 megabits not megabytes! 16megabits=2 MEGABYTES!
roms are in bits not BYTES, It just sounds cool '16 MEG POWER!!!'
just my $.02 worth
.

Travis Prebble

Aug 2, 1992, 12:56:32 AM8/2/92
<UD19...@NDSUVM1.BITNET> writes:

> SNES: SF II on the SNES is a 16 Megabyte cartridge. Could you imagine what
> could be produced on the Amiga if they used 16 megs? Just think they could
> have used HAM and had digitized sound. This, IMO, would make SF II better th

> Kenneth Churchill

Sorry, but it is 16 megaBITS, not megabytes. Every game in the console
arena is measured in megabits (2 meg, 4 meg, 8 meg, 12 meg, 16 meg...).
Unless they are using some REALLY good compression, I don't think anybody
is going to fit 16 megabytes into a cartridge no bigger than a postcard.

----------------------------------------------------------///\------------
Travis Prebble @ Heart of Gold BBS (814) 238-9633 /// \
INet address: cru...@hogbbs.scol.pa.us \\\///----\
(814) 353-9069 \XX/ \ MIGA
TARDIS Express: When it absolutely, positively has to be there yesterday.

Marc J. Brown

Aug 2, 1992, 5:08:41 AM8/2/92
In article <1992Aug1.2...@newshost.unh.edu> g...@kepler.unh.edu (Gregory G Greene) writes:
>>Richard
>>

>>(Hopefully the "new product" line this fall will include chips that can
>>blow the SNES away.)
>
> But will the new chipset get any support from game companies? I
> can see 3d graphics packages and video software supporting it, but not
> game software.

My predictions: Once the new chipset is made available to A500 owners,
the many coders of EuroDemos will begin to support the new capabilities
(which, according to rumor, include VGA display&selection), and this will
result in most other people going ahead and buying the new chipset. Once
game companies realize this, they'll start supporting it, and porting IBM
games will be a much simpler task so we'll probably see a lot more of that
too. Don't forget that many of the more professional EuroDemo coders are
beginning to code games as well.

Richard McGowen

Aug 2, 1992, 4:48:05 AM8/2/92
In article <Xw5uoB...@hogbbs.scol.pa.us> cru...@hogbbs.scol.pa.us (Travis Prebble) writes:

><UD19...@NDSUVM1.BITNET> writes:
>

>Unless they are using some REALLY good compression, I don't think anybody
>is going to fit 16 megabytes into a cartridge no bigger than a postcard.

Not necessarily true, however the catridges would cost a great deal more
than the current rip off prices they are already at.

--
Richard McGowen mcg...@cse.ucsc.edu

PC == Permanently Closeminded

Gregory G Greene

Aug 2, 1992, 11:13:27 AM8/2/92
>>>(Hopefully the "new product" line this fall will include chips that can
>>>blow the SNES away.)
>>
>> But will the new chipset get any support from game companies? I
>> can see 3d graphics packages and video software supporting it, but not
>> game software.
>
>My predictions: Once the new chipset is made available to A500 owners,
>the many coders of EuroDemos will begin to support the new capabilities

But will the new chipset work in A500's and A600's? The A600 is one
of CBM's new machines ( be it low-end ) and as far as I know, it doesn't
have the new chipset. Plus the way that it is made, makes it very difficult
to upgrade the chipset. Since this is the machine thats going to sell for
CBM, and not the supposedly upcoming higher end models in September, why
would game companies make any effort to support it. Every rumor I've heard
or read about indicates the new chipset is for the higher end Amiga's.
Granted, these are just rumors, but the A500's or A600's are never included
with the new chipset rumors. I hope CBM offers an upgrade, I guess we will
find out in September.

G.Greene

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 2, 1992, 12:56:00 PM8/2/92

>>You seem to place too much
>>emphasis on sound and (whoopee) Euro Demos.
>
>Your point? What can I say? I like both of those aspects of the Amiga
>experience :). Sound is vital for games, and EuroDemos are great at proving
>that the Amiga is just as capable as the average console.
^^^^^^^
Being "capable" and the act of actually doing it are again two different
scenarios. If the Amiga is soooo capable, then why don't we see knock out
"Euro-Demo" games? Again, I suppose seeing a knock out game is a relative term
too since many of you may consider Leander or better yet Zool knock out. *sigh*

>>I've not seen many games that
>>can match those found in the new gaming consoles.
>
>'Cause people don't expect to sell their games for $60 when they code for the
>Amiga. You get what you pay for. Besides, the Amiga is a computer, not
>a one-capability console. It makes more sense to compare its gaming ability
>to that of other computers (though that's not what this thread's about :).

If they come out with Street Fighter two that's even 3/4 th's as good as
the S-NES version for $60, I'd spend $ for it. It's not too much as far as
whether programmers CAN come up with great platform games as much as the
amiga being able to handle it. Give me a REAL Hedgehog competitor and I'll
give you a guy out another $60.... :)

alan

SHUK C YIP

Aug 2, 1992, 3:28:59 PM8/2/92
In article <1992Aug2.0...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Marc J. Brown) writes:

>My predictions: Once the new chipset is made available to A500 owners,
>the many coders of EuroDemos will begin to support the new capabilities
>(which, according to rumor, include VGA display&selection), and this will
>result in most other people going ahead and buying the new chipset. Once
>game companies realize this, they'll start supporting it, and porting IBM
>games will be a much simpler task so we'll probably see a lot more of that
>too. Don't forget that many of the more professional EuroDemo coders are
>beginning to code games as well.

However, I think the 7.14 MHz 68000 can't handle the speed for game.

Marc J. Brown

Aug 2, 1992, 3:51:35 PM8/2/92
In article <2AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:

>>Your point? What can I say? I like both of those aspects of the Amiga
>>experience :). Sound is vital for games, and EuroDemos are great at proving
>>that the Amiga is just as capable as the average console.
> ^^^^^^^
>Being "capable" and the act of actually doing it are again two different
>scenarios.

I agree completely. In fact, I personally believe that the Amiga is a far
more capable system (concerning games) than the Genesis... it's just that
it's not a "dedicated" games system and people aren't too competitive when
it comes to games. If the Japanese were to suddenly start coding for the
Amiga, things would be different ;).

>If the Amiga is soooo capable, then why don't we see knock out
>"Euro-Demo" games? Again, I suppose seeing a knock out game is a relative term
>too since many of you may consider Leander or better yet Zool knock out. *sigh*

Those games struck me as hyped. Actually, I can't be sure about Zool; it may
very well have much more to it by the time the actual game gets here. The
only two knockout games I have seen so far on the Amiga are Turrican II and
James Pond II: Robocod. Both games, btw, blow away the VAST majority of what
I've seen for consoles. Speaking of which, didja know that they took
Turrican II, scaled it down a bit, changed some graphics here & there, called
it "Universal Soldier," and ported it to the SNES? Considering the fact
that the music alone for that game probably took up a full megabyte (overall),
I wonder how the SNES version will sound? :)

>If they come out with Street Fighter two that's even 3/4 th's as good as
>the S-NES version for $60, I'd spend $ for it. It's not too much as far as
>whether programmers CAN come up with great platform games as much as the
>amiga being able to handle it.

Now, you know you've got it reversed :).

>Give me a REAL Hedgehog competitor and I'll
>give you a guy out another $60.... :)

Not yet, but maybe soon. The new chipset is coming soon, and EuroDemo coders
are switching to games... we might just see some really GOOD games soon.

Marc J. Brown

Aug 2, 1992, 4:19:33 PM8/2/92
In article <1992Aug2.1...@newshub.ariel.yorku.ca> cs90...@ariel.yorku.ca (SHUK C YIP) writes:
>In article <1992Aug2.0...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Marc J. Brown) writes:
>>
>>tDon't forget that many of the more professional EuroDemo coders are

>>beginning to code games as well.
>
>However, I think the 7.14 MHz 68000 can't handle the speed for game.

Ah, but a huge load of extra built-in hardware takes a huge load off the
CPU's back, you realize. Are you trying to suggest that if the Amiga gets
VGA-capable chips it won't be able to handle 256 colors on-screen? Come
on! The hardware necessary to handle that sort of display will no doubt
come with the chipset. Or are you saying that 7.16 Mhz is too slow for
decent games? That's ridiculous, since none of your precious consoles
(except the Neo-Geo) get any faster than that. I think maybe you should
clarify your argument somewhat (and perhaps, while you're at it, find a
better [if unfounded] argument :).

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 2, 1992, 10:37:00 PM8/2/92
>>Give me a REAL Hedgehog competitor and I'll
>>give you a guy out another $60.... :)
>
>Not yet, but maybe soon. The new chipset is coming soon, and EuroDemo coders
^^^^ ^^^^

>are switching to games... we might just see some really GOOD games soon.
^^^^^ ^^^^

Like Emplant and WB3.0, I'll smile when it's available.
S-NES's are here NOW, and good games are available now...
^^^ ^^^

alan

SHUK C YIP

Aug 2, 1992, 10:41:37 PM8/2/92
In article <1992Aug2.2...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Marc J. Brown) writes:

>>However, I think the 7.14 MHz 68000 can't handle the speed for game.
>
>Ah, but a huge load of extra built-in hardware takes a huge load off the
>CPU's back, you realize. Are you trying to suggest that if the Amiga gets
>VGA-capable chips it won't be able to handle 256 colors on-screen? Come
>on! The hardware necessary to handle that sort of display will no doubt
>come with the chipset. Or are you saying that 7.16 Mhz is too slow for
>decent games? That's ridiculous, since none of your precious consoles
>(except the Neo-Geo) get any faster than that. I think maybe you should
>clarify your argument somewhat (and perhaps, while you're at it, find a
>better [if unfounded] argument :).

The new chip set is just good for display picture, not good for game.
The CPU speed of console and Amiga is totally different story. If you
take a good at those 64 colors or HAM games, you will know how slow on a
standard Amiga. 7.14 MHz 68000 simply can't handle it. That is why every
people crys for a faster CPU for Amiga.

Marc J. Brown

Aug 3, 1992, 6:53:33 AM8/3/92
In article <1992Aug3.0...@newshub.ariel.yorku.ca> cs90...@ariel.yorku.ca (SHUK C YIP) writes:
>In article <1992Aug2.2...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Marc J. Brown) writes:
>
>The new chip set is just good for display picture, not good for game.

This cannot be taken for granted, as you suggest it should. In fact, it
makes more sense to assume that Commodore will include hardware-related
graphical functions such as scrolling/filling/etc like in the older chipset.
Point in case: Not even IBM-developers are stupid enough to market a VGA
card without at least SOME hardware graphic assistance.

>The CPU speed of console and Amiga is totally different story. If you
>take a good at those 64 colors or HAM games, you will know how slow on a
>standard Amiga. 7.14 MHz 68000 simply can't handle it.

No, it's merely proving that competent game-coders for the Amiga are few
and far between. I'm not the type of person who suggests that 64 colors
on-screen (with hundreds more in complex copperlist background that scrolls)
scrolling at 60 frames-per-second is slow. But I will admit that most
people don't shoot for that type of performance.

>That is why every
>people crys for a faster CPU for Amiga.

Actually, people want faster CPUs because that want a faster computer.
Period. Paying for a faster CPU for the sake of a game is an unjustified
waste and I really don't think most people would go for it.

Marc J. Brown

Aug 3, 1992, 6:42:49 AM8/3/92
In article <2AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:

You force me to yet again point out that the Amiga was never truly intended
to be a big games-only computer... it simply turned out to be far more
capable than all the others. Frankly, I think it's pretty sad that it took
Nintendo/Sega/whoever so long to actually surpass the Amiga's 7-year-old
technology. (BTW, a friend of mine has a severe-beta copy of WB3.0 [don't
think it works] and Emplant ads will be in mags sometime soon).

Gary Bradley

Aug 3, 1992, 7:18:37 AM8/3/92

Anyone who thinks Amiga platform games suck obviously hasn't ever
played the following: Parasol Stars, Gods, Robocod, Rodland and the best
platform game ever (even better than arcade platties in my
opinion)...First Samurai. On the other hand, anyone who thinks platform
games suck proabably HAS played the following: Bubble Bobble, New
Zealand Story, Magic Pockets, Black Tiger etc. It's really all about
perspective isn't it? I bet there are SNES platties that lack teeth too
(i.e. suck :)

+---------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Gary Bradley | "You receive a love letter from me and |
| ORACLE Corp, UK | you're f*cked forever!" |
| Edinburgh, SCOTLAND | - Frank Booth ("Blue Velvet") |
+---------------------+------------------------------------------+
| "God damn the censor man" |

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 3, 1992, 11:05:00 AM8/3/92
>You force me to yet again point out that the Amiga was never truly intended
>to be a big games-only computer... it simply turned out to be far more
>capable than all the others. Frankly, I think it's pretty sad that it took

Listen, does it really matter if the Amiga was never intended to be a platform
for emulating other computers? Well, it's sure doing a good job right? I think
so. I'm not talking about what the amiga can do over a S-NES... there are
literally countless things it can do over it. All I keep stressing is that
a combination of poor programming and insufficient hardware makes the Amiga
an inferior competitor to arcade games against S-NES's and Genesis's.

>Nintendo/Sega/whoever so long to actually surpass the Amiga's 7-year-old
>technology. (BTW, a friend of mine has a severe-beta copy of WB3.0 [don't
>think it works] and Emplant ads will be in mags sometime soon).

Commodore ALSO took about 6-7 years to come out with the Amiga to surpass IBM's
rampant 8-bit pc's... (it's besides the point to say that Commie didn't even
design the amiga, but anyway) So what's the point? Since the day Commie killed
IBM design with the amiga, IBM's and Mac's are catching up (if not surpassing)
to the Amiga. I won't go on this since this kind of discussion belongs to
CSA.advocacy.

However, advocation of gaming related discussions should remain.

alan

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 3, 1992, 11:20:00 AM8/3/92
In article <25...@nlsun1.oracle.nl>, gbra...@uks197.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Bradley) writes...

> Anyone who thinks Amiga platform games suck obviously hasn't ever
>played the following: Parasol Stars, Gods, Robocod, Rodland and the best
>platform game ever (even better than arcade platties in my
>opinion)...First Samurai. On the other hand, anyone who thinks platform

Never played Parasol Stars. Gods is ok. Robocod is neat the 1st 5 minutes.
Rodland is good looking but the levels are too short. First Samurai is top
notch. It seems that you've not played Street Fighter II, Super R-Type,
Sonic the Hedgehog, or even Contra III. BTW, did you know that the S-NES even
has a VGA adaptor on the bottom of the unit for hires display? I have an
A2320 on my A2000 and it costed me $212 at student discount!

>games suck proabably HAS played the following: Bubble Bobble, New
>Zealand Story, Magic Pockets, Black Tiger etc. It's really all about
>perspective isn't it? I bet there are SNES platties that lack teeth too
>(i.e. suck :)

Agreed. They all stink (we do have noses:) Have you seen Contra, Street
Fighter, or even Pit Fighter versions on the Amiga? hahahahahahahohohoh
heheheheeheh ohohohohohoh ;-D 'nuff said!

alan

Gary Bradley

Aug 3, 1992, 12:08:07 PM8/3/92
w8...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) WRITES...

> Never played Parasol Stars. Gods is ok. Robocod is neat the 1st 5 minutes.
> Rodland is good looking but the levels are too short. First Samurai is top
> notch. It seems that you've not played Street Fighter II, Super R-Type,
> Sonic the Hedgehog, or even Contra III. BTW, did you know that the
S-NES even
> has a VGA adaptor on the bottom of the unit for hires display? I have an
> A2320 on my A2000 and it costed me $212 at student discount!

Well, I HAVE played Sonic you know. And I thought it was incredibly
over-hyped, as I immediately said when this thread started. Sure, it
looks fantastic and moves very very fast, but it has little playability
to it. Sonic is a very medicre game IMHO: I class it along with Myth
(for the Amiga): it looks so gorgeous you want to have sex with it, but
once you start you realise there's not much there and you feel very let
down. Give me Robocod any day, in my opinion it blows Sonic away for fun
factor (Sonic is WAY too easy too, it must be admitted!!). Before anyone
flames this...how far into Robocod have you gotten?? Alan, you say you
liked it for 5 minutes; does this mean you stopped after that time? If
so, then I can see why you said the above: Robocod takes a while to get
brilliant. If you have only seen the first couple of worlds then you
haven't seen any of its better features (e.g the vehicles you get to use
etc). Okay this could apply to Sonic too, I haven't gotten that far into
it. If it suddenly gets great later than the first few worlds, I'm
sorry,I didn't know.
Onto Rodland. Don't criticise this Amiga game! It is a "port" of an
established arcade game, and if you ask anyone who has played the arcade
original, they will tell you Rodland is a perfect copy except for one
thing... the Amiga version has 10 levels MORE than the arcade original!
I think the fact that the porters added 10 levels to an established
arcde game because they thought that IT was too short is high
recommendation for this excellent game (which I finally managed to
finish just the other week).
Street Fighter II. Okay you've got me on that one, I have never
played it on a console. However, I HAVE played it in the arcades and it
is a big big bore. Has the port to console-land managed to make this an
interesting game then? If so they must have done a hell of a lot of
work. Yes it looks impressive, but it is still a crap game. And I LIKE
fighting games too, okay? SFII is one of the worst I've played (in the
arcade). Even if the Amiga version of this was a perfect clone of the
original arcde version, I wouldn't buy it.

Michael Neylon

Aug 3, 1992, 2:17:00 PM8/3/92
In article <3AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu>, cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes...

>>You force me to yet again point out that the Amiga was never truly intended
>>to be a big games-only computer... it simply turned out to be far more
>>capable than all the others. Frankly, I think it's pretty sad that it took
>
>Listen, does it really matter if the Amiga was never intended to be a platform
>for emulating other computers? Well, it's sure doing a good job right? I think
>so. I'm not talking about what the amiga can do over a S-NES... there are
>literally countless things it can do over it. All I keep stressing is that
>a combination of poor programming and insufficient hardware makes the Amiga
>an inferior competitor to arcade games against S-NES's and Genesis's.

Inferier hardware?? If I remember correctly (no flames please), the SNES and
Sega systems are still ONE chip. The Amigas got 3 chips to do the necessary
work for gaming!! (it also has numerous ports for infinite add-on devices..)
Personally, the only thing hardware defiency on the Amiga is the lack of
a series port control chip (as in IBM's)....at least the Amiga has a serial
port thou :)

>>Nintendo/Sega/whoever so long to actually surpass the Amiga's 7-year-old
>>technology. (BTW, a friend of mine has a severe-beta copy of WB3.0 [don't
>>think it works] and Emplant ads will be in mags sometime soon).
>
>Commodore ALSO took about 6-7 years to come out with the Amiga to surpass IBM's
>rampant 8-bit pc's... (it's besides the point to say that Commie didn't even
>design the amiga, but anyway) So what's the point? Since the day Commie killed
>IBM design with the amiga, IBM's and Mac's are catching up (if not surpassing)
>to the Amiga. I won't go on this since this kind of discussion belongs to
>CSA.advocacy.

(as a side note: Ok, so maybe IBM and Mac now offer what the Amiga HAD a
few years ago (multitasking, windowing OS; multimedia capabilities; CD-ROM)
but you can still get anything from Amiga at less than half the prices
that IBM and Mac charge (I read in the paper that other how the new Macs
are only being introduced to keep stuff at the HIGH PRICE range! geez!))

However, back to gaming. There is one effect that happens on ALL game systems:
quickly produced, 'cheap' games. These are the games that may be introduced
on the market, and 2 weeks later you can find them at the bargin bins.
ALL SYSTEMS suffer from this deliema, since producers want many titles
on the market, and rather reduce quality for quantity...

NES, Sega, S-NES, and Amiga all have a good percentage of these games.
However, Since there is (and always will be) more games avail for the Amiga,
one can say that there is more sh*tware than on other systems. But you
gotta look at the relative numbers. IMHO, Amiga has the lowest percentage
of sh*t games than any game platform system.

The other thing you gotta look at is what these people compare against.
Sure, the SNES and Sega are 16 bit systems, and when you see graphics on these
systems for the first time, you WILL be impressed and remember that. If,
after that experience, you glance at an Amiga game in 32 colors, you'll
shrug it off, saying that its not as good as the platform. Similarly, if
you try some of the games on the platforms, and then compare to the
Amiga, you'll say that the games on the Ami were slow compared to
the platform.

However, that is only your opinoin, and is probably not the fact. I had
my Amiga for quite a while, then I saw Sonic for the first time (beyond
promotions). Its a good game, very fast, and very colorful. BUT!!!! the
systems demands from the game DO NOT surpass those of the Amiga!!! Amiga's
can display that may colors, in a parallax scrolling method, it can move sprites
that fast, etc, etc.... The gameplay in Sonic is very similar to
both Turricans, so I see no problem with a port...(see below). Similarly,
any other game on a Sega or SNES is easily portable...

However, you cant get around the sloppy programmers. These are the folks
that ruin many games on the Amiga, due to poor planning and programming.
The Amiga is capable of everything a Sega can do (+ ;) but if the folks
that work on it cant use whats available to them, sh*tty games get released.

Now I know that there are LOTS of good programming teams out there...the
games that follow can be rated as those done PROPERLY...

Turrican, GODS, Pinball Dreams, Dungeon Master/EOB I/II, Populus II,
Lemmings, Awesome, Leander, Out of this World...

(dont flame me on this list either...its IMHO)

Basically, if we could get this programmers to write good games, then the
Amiga might be able to compete with Sega and SNES as a game platform,
although here in the US, Commadore would never allow that...

Michael Neylon aka Masem the Great and Almighty Thermodynamics GOD!
// | Senoir, Chemical Engineering, Univ. of Toledo
\\ // Only the | Summer Intern, NASA Lewis Research Center
\ \X/ AMIGA! | smn...@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov /
--------+ How do YOU spell 'potato'? How 'bout 'lousy'? +----------
"Me and Spike are big Malcolm 10 supporters." - J.S.,P.L.C.L

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 3, 1992, 1:47:00 PM8/3/92
> Street Fighter II. Okay you've got me on that one, I have never
>played it on a console. However, I HAVE played it in the arcades and it
>is a big big bore. Has the port to console-land managed to make this an
>interesting game then? If so they must have done a hell of a lot of
>work. Yes it looks impressive, but it is still a crap game. And I LIKE
>fighting games too, okay? SFII is one of the worst I've played (in the
>arcade). Even if the Amiga version of this was a perfect clone of the
>original arcde version, I wouldn't buy it.

Well I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Texas and California
(that I've seen arcades recently) Street Fighter II is the hottest game going.
Here at our university, we have 3 champion editions and 2 regular versions
of it. At the univ of Houston, they have a LARGE screen version of it and
a few regulars. In the univ of Texas, they have a number of large screen
TV's devoted to the game and they have occasional tournaments. Ditto to
California. I haven't even included the number of malls in SW united states.
While mentioning that a large majority of people like this game doesn't mean
that it IS a good game, there seems to be something drawing people to it.
The championship edition costs 50 cents to play and the game may only last half
a minute... but it's smooth and quick. Something the amiga will never be able
to do until new chips or faster accelerators come out.

alan

Paul Trauth

Aug 3, 1992, 2:54:55 PM8/3/92
In a message dated Sat 1 Aug 92 23:15, Rlip...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (ryan Jon
wrote:

RJ> Hello???? 16 meg MEANS 16 megabits not megabytes! 16megabits=2
RJ> MEGABYTES!
RJ> roms are in bits not BYTES, It just sounds cool '16 MEG POWER!!!'
RJ> just my $.02 worth

In the computer world, 1 meg = 1 megabyte.
In the gaming world, 1 meg = 1 megabit = 1/8 megabyte.

I really hate whatever dweeb first started calling megaBITS 'megs'...
caused no end of confusion.
And now SNK (Neo-Geo) is using the even stupider term "mega" for 1
megabyte... "New! with 12 MEGAS of data!"
oooh.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.992

- be zorch, daddi-o --------------- paul (raccoon) trauth ----------------
Internet -> paul_...@agwbbs.new-orleans.LA.US \\\///\\\///\\\
Usenet -> rex!agwbbs!paul_trauth \\\///\\\///\\\
"eagles may fly, but a weasel will never get sucked into a jet engine"

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 3, 1992, 3:05:00 PM8/3/92
:stuff deleted:

>NES, Sega, S-NES, and Amiga all have a good percentage of these games.
>However, Since there is (and always will be) more games avail for the Amiga,
>one can say that there is more sh*tware than on other systems. But you
>gotta look at the relative numbers. IMHO, Amiga has the lowest percentage
>of sh*t games than any game platform system.

Relative numbers? The amiga has so many games out there it's sad. I think
your statements should be reversed. Just take a look at the previous threads
about mass produced Euro-games for example. Now that's crappy entertainment.

>The other thing you gotta look at is what these people compare against.
>Sure, the SNES and Sega are 16 bit systems, and when you see graphics on these
>systems for the first time, you WILL be impressed and remember that. If,

YES, TRUE

>after that experience, you glance at an Amiga game in 32 colors, you'll
>shrug it off, saying that its not as good as the platform. Similarly, if

YES, TRUE

>you try some of the games on the platforms, and then compare to the
>Amiga, you'll say that the games on the Ami were slow compared to
>the platform.

YES, VERY TRUE

>promotions). Its a good game, very fast, and very colorful. BUT!!!! the
>systems demands from the game DO NOT surpass those of the Amiga!!! Amiga's
>can display that may colors, in a parallax scrolling method, it can move sprites
>that fast, etc, etc....

Yeah, how come we don't see anything like what you've described? Zool for
example is a very good attemp at doing just that. After playing demo shows
just how much better Sonic is. You can't possibly tell me that Zool is faster
or has better graphics.

>The Amiga is capable of everything a Sega can do (+ ;) but if the folks
>that work on it cant use whats available to them, sh*tty games get released.

Well, I guess after 7 years after the Amiga's release no one really knows
what they're doing... *sigh*

>Turrican, GODS, Pinball Dreams, Dungeon Master/EOB I/II, Populus II,
>Lemmings, Awesome, Leander, Out of this World...
>
>(dont flame me on this list either...its IMHO)

Just PopulousII and Lemmings perhaps DM too... the others have equivalents
in their respective areas... its IMHO

>Basically, if we could get this programmers to write good games, then the
>Amiga might be able to compete with Sega and SNES as a game platform,

Basically, if we could get better hardware for these programmers to write
better ANYTHING, then the Amiga might be able to compete with any console
or computer system... again, the above statement probably belongs in
CSA.advocacy... :)

alan

Marc J. Brown

Aug 3, 1992, 3:07:07 PM8/3/92
In article <3AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:

>All I keep stressing is that
>a combination of poor programming and insufficient hardware makes the Amiga
>an inferior competitor to arcade games against S-NES's and Genesis's.

You are nearly correct. Since the Genesis and SNES were A) Designed for
one and ONLY one function (games, of course), and B) Fresh, new technology
at the time they came out, theoretically there's no way the Amiga should
be able to compete, even if the Amiga was a dedicated games-machine. I
personally am impressed that the Amiga can hold its own against both
machines. The superior aspects of the Amiga I mentioned before (mostly
having to do with plenty-of-storage-space) will be countered when the
CD-ROMs get here, but at that point we begin to delve in many hundreds of
dollars, for ONLY a games machine.

>>Nintendo/Sega/whoever so long to actually surpass the Amiga's 7-year-old
>>technology. (BTW, a friend of mine has a severe-beta copy of WB3.0 [don't
>>think it works] and Emplant ads will be in mags sometime soon).
>
>Commodore ALSO took about 6-7 years to come out with the Amiga to surpass IBM's
>rampant 8-bit pc's...

Touche :).

(it's besides the point to say that Commie didn't even
>design the amiga, but anyway) So what's the point? Since the day Commie killed
>IBM design with the amiga, IBM's and Mac's are catching up (if not surpassing)
>to the Amiga. I won't go on this since this kind of discussion belongs to
>CSA.advocacy.

Sure they are, as long as your wallet is bottomless. If not, a $299 computer
that outperforms most any IBM and Mac on the market sounds like a bargain :).

>However, advocation of gaming related discussions should remain.

Final announcement: Amiga is inferior to SNES, yet can outperform it in
many areas due to the unlimited storage space available. Amiga is superior
to Genesis in most respects. Amiga does not have Japanese programmers,
so the majority of gaming software available tends to be inferior to true
Japanese gaming software on the consoles.

Marc J. Brown

Aug 3, 1992, 3:17:52 PM8/3/92
In article <3AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:

>Never played Parasol Stars.

Nothing to get excited over.

>Gods is ok.

Bitmaps Brothers' classic. I liked it a lot, but I won't give it a high
rating for gameplay.

>Robocod is neat the 1st 5 minutes.

I really enjoyed this game! It's so large that it takes me about 5 hours
to get towards the end, and there are lots of secrets and tricks and
original Mario/Sonic-type stuff in it.

>Rodland is good looking but the levels are too short.

I didn't care for this one.

>First Samurai is top notch.

There were many colors on screen, but I thought the gameplay sucked and
it was too slow.

No mention of Turrican II? It's still the best Amiga platform game in
existence. Take a look at Universal Soldier for the SNES and you'll get
an idea (downscaled) of what it's like.

>It seems that you've not played Street Fighter II, Super R-Type,
>Sonic the Hedgehog, or even Contra III.

SF2 is cool! Super R-Type slows down too much. So does Contra3. Sonic
the Hedgehog is a masterpiece of coding trickery.

>Agreed. They all stink (we do have noses:) Have you seen Contra, Street
>Fighter, or even Pit Fighter versions on the Amiga? hahahahahahahohohoh
>heheheheeheh ohohohohohoh ;-D 'nuff said!

We learn to avoid the dogs when we can. Sure the Amiga has its fair share
of awful games... Conversely, would you pay $50 for Home Alone on the SNES?

Richard McGowen

Aug 3, 1992, 8:43:38 PM8/3/92
In article <1992Aug3.1...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> mjb...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Marc J. Brown) writes:
>In article <2AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:
>You force me to yet again point out that the Amiga was never truly intended
>to be a big games-only computer... it simply turned out to be far more
>capable than all the others. Frankly, I think it's pretty sad that it took

Sorry, but the above is bullshit. The amiga was designed to be the best
game computer. I once got a chance to glance through an original
design notebook (had Confidential and such stamped all over it), and it
was always talked about in terms of games. It wasn't until Commodore
got ahold of it that the focus changed. It just happened that in
designning the best game machine, the special hardware needed also
happened to make for a great computer. If it wasn't designed to be a
game machine, then why do you think that so much effort was put into
specialized graphics and sound chips? Why do you think there are things
such as dual-PLAYfields, the copper and such. In the notebook, (which
was somewhat of a precursor to the RKMs) all the examples for each
feature were usually given in terms of a game. Battlezone pics and
all.

>Nintendo/Sega/whoever so long to actually surpass the Amiga's 7-year-old
>technology. (BTW, a friend of mine has a severe-beta copy of WB3.0 [don't
>think it works] and Emplant ads will be in mags sometime soon).

You are right here. I am only hoping that the new stuff will put the
amiga seven more years ahead rather than only catch up with what is
already here.

George Francis McBay

Aug 3, 1992, 8:52:39 PM8/3/92

>You force me to yet again point out that the Amiga was never truly intended
>to be a big games-only computer... it simply turned out to be far more
>capable than all the others. Frankly, I think it's pretty sad that it took

Well to make a small correction, a big-games only computer (or more
correctly, console) is EXACTLY what the Amiga was meant to be in it's early
stages, pre-Atari-bust

Anyways..

alexander aranyosi

Aug 3, 1992, 9:26:56 PM8/3/92
In article <3AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:
>:stuff deleted:
>
>>NES, Sega, S-NES, and Amiga all have a good percentage of these games.
>>However, Since there is (and always will be) more games avail for the Amiga,
[stuff edited]

>>The Amiga is capable of everything a Sega can do (+ ;) but if the folks
>>that work on it cant use whats available to them, sh*tty games get released.
[more stuff edited]

>>Basically, if we could get this programmers to write good games, then the
>>Amiga might be able to compete with Sega and SNES as a game platform,
>
>alan

Ok. Let's talk about ports here for a moment. Specifically, let's talk
about Psygnosis ports.

First: Shadow of the Beast. Have any of you seen the Genesis port of
this game? Have any of you LISTENED to the Genesis port of this game?
I don't know what that instrument is they're trying to pass off as a
flute, but it sure isn't anything invented by humans. The game is
playable, but only slightly less so than the Amiga version.

Second: The Killing Game Show. The Genesis version of this was called
'Fatal Rewind', and 'Fatal' is the operating word. Again, the music was
atrocious. In this case, though, the music is what made this game great
(try playing it with just sound effects and see what I mean). Check out
the 'Fast Forward' mode on each and decide which one you like better.
Also, the Genesis version has no intro. You have to admit the intro was
almost worth the price of the game in itself. (Note: I'm not trying
to flame EA on either of these--they did the best they could with the
conversions).

Third: Lemmings. I haven't seen the Genesis version of this, so I can't
comment. However, the SNES version also lacks something, i.e. music.
Also, try playing 2-player mode on the SNES. Get all 160 lemmings on the
screen at once and watch how fast your builder goes. Disgusting, isn't it?

This comment applies to all 3 games: Try playing any of these games on
an Amiga using your joystick or mouse in the usual way. Then go to one
of these game machines and try playing it by controlling 4 touchy buttons
with your left hand. You make the call as to which controller you prefer.

Now, here comes the important message. Can you hook your modem up to a
game machine? No. Can you do word processing with it? No. Can you
compose music, with or without MIDI? No. Can you use it to make art?
No. Can you multitask? No. Can you open the thing up and toss in an
accelerator to do all of these things more quickly? Can you open the
thing up at all? No.

The defense rests.

(P.S. SimCity is out for one of these platforms--I dread the thought.)
(P.P.S. I managed to get a SNES open once--there were only two parts
that could possibly be changed without replacing the whole system.
Fortunately one of them was the defective one.)

-AJ

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 3, 1992, 11:32:00 PM8/3/92
>Now, here comes the important message. Can you hook your modem up to a
>game machine? No. Can you do word processing with it? No. Can you
>compose music, with or without MIDI? No. Can you use it to make art?
>No. Can you multitask? No. Can you open the thing up and toss in an
>accelerator to do all of these things more quickly? Can you open the
>thing up at all? No.
>
>The defense rests.

C'mon people... the intent of the original post was not to bring CSA.advocacy
another slab of meat here. We're talking about game related comparisons
between systems (in particular amiga vs S-NES and Genesis). I think the
important message is comp.sys.amiga.GAMES. I say that Amiga platform games
are inferior to those found on the new 16-bit game consoles and so and so
says otherwise. While you're at it, why don't you say that a Vaccum cleaner
is inferior to Microwave because it can't cook your dinner?

alan

Chuck Woo

Aug 4, 1992, 12:10:24 AM8/4/92
In article <3AUG1992...@zeus.tamu.edu> cpw...@zeus.tamu.edu (ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924) writes:
>>Now, here comes the important message. Can you hook your modem up to a
>>game machine? No. Can you do word processing with it? No. Can you
>>compose music, with or without MIDI? No. Can you use it to make art?
>>No. Can you multitask? No. Can you open the thing up and toss in an
>>accelerator to do all of these things more quickly? Can you open the
>>thing up at all? No.
>
>C'mon people... the intent of the original post was not to bring CSA.advocacy
>another slab of meat here. We're talking about game related comparisons
>between systems (in particular amiga vs S-NES and Genesis).

well, okay, speaking strictly of games: can you play a modem game, like
RoboSport, on a console? can you play an old Infocom game? can you make
your flight sim go faster, or be able to handle more world detail? can you
play two games at once? :)

--
---------------------------------------------///
Chuck Woo wch...@ocf.berkeley.edu ///
(bubba buh boo dee do buh boo dee do..) \\\///
-----------------------------------------\XX/

ALAN CHIPIN WEN (409)693-2924

Aug 4, 1992, 12:55:00 AM8/4/92
>well, okay, speaking strictly of games: can you play a modem game, like
>RoboSport, on a console?

RoboSport is sooooooo slow by itself anyway without an accelerator.

>can you play an old Infocom game?

Who'd want to... :)

>can you make your flight sim go faster, or be able to handle more world
>detail? can you play two games at once? :)

Can you get an acclerator to make a version of Street Fighter II for the
Amiga? Hmm....

alan

Kelvin Leung

Aug 4, 1992, 1:24:39 AM8/4/92
wch...@ocf.berkeley.edu (Chuck Woo) writes:

>well, okay, speaking strictly of games: can you play a modem game, like
>RoboSport, on a console? can you play an old Infocom game? can you make
>your flight sim go faster, or be able to handle more world detail? can you
>play two games at once? :)

Not sure about the first couple of questions... but I surely cant play
two games at once... ;)

--Kelvin

Chuck Woo

Aug 4, 1992, 2:36:27 AM8/4/92