Best AMIGA Game

Daniel Mandic

Mar 24, 2014, 7:44:49 PM3/24/14
Dear subscribers!

Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!

--
Daniel Mandic

Henry Soszynski

Mar 25, 2014, 5:52:15 PM3/25/14
On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:44:49 +0000 (UTC), "Daniel Mandic"
<daniel...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Dear subscribers!
>

>Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!

Bane of the Cosmic Forge aka Wizardry VI. Played it about six times on
the Amiga (various configs).

I love the stats part of it. Being able to control how much to give in
whichever discipline I desire. The various weapons and spells were
also awesome.

I've still got a game half done on this PC in UAE. Very little time
though.

Cheers,

Nate Brazil

Apr 14, 2014, 12:51:05 PM4/14/14
I'm very partial to the 'Star Flight' series. There's something magical about exploring unknown space and running into alien species, then figuring out how each one 'ticks' so to speak, and figuring out how to best deal with each of them. And flying through space, exploring various star systems in search of rare artifacts, habitable planets, new flora/fauna, and valuable minerals, is also a lot of fun.

Space Quest was also a lot of fun to play, but I'd have to put Star Flight as my 'favorite of the favorites'...

Nate Brazil

Daniel Mandic

Apr 14, 2014, 5:52:57 PM4/14/14
Nate Brazil wrote:

> Space Quest was also a lot of fun to play, but I'd have to put Star
> Flight as my 'favorite of the favorites'...

Thanks for vote.

Space Flight is addictive...

Not to forget 'UFO Enemy Unknown'. The PC conversions of that game are
nice too, of course with "better" GfX 20y later but the core
(roundbased-system similar to RPGs...) is still pretty the same. I
remember a friend of mine (local AMIGA dealer in 1992-1995) has played
it a lot while work. In that times I haven't had much interest playing
'UFO'...
In the last week I couldn't get my a.. out of home, due to 'X-COM Enemy
Unknown' (THE overhauled/pimped classic 'UFO' version from AMiGA) on PC
(Game of the year 2013 and pretty the same as the favourite classic
AMIGA 'UFO' Version with brilliant detailed gfx (lovely... as it used
to be) and the 3D Unreal-Engine all over THAT.

--
Daniel Mandic

Daniel Mandic

Apr 14, 2014, 6:20:26 PM4/14/14
Henry Soszynski wrote:

> Bane of the Cosmic Forge aka Wizardry VI. Played it about six times on
> the Amiga (various configs).

Sounds nice!

> I love the stats part of it. Being able to control how much to give in
> whichever discipline I desire. The various weapons and spells were
> also awesome.

yeah.... I am also addictive to RPGs. Mainly many D&D titles.... e.g.
'Pool of Radiance' (AMIGA, ST, C64, PC-DOS) and its sequel POR II
'Ruins of Myth Drannor' (PC, played it under WinNT4.0 of course not
Win95).

But 'FATE Gates of Dawn' (Made in Germany RPG, AMIGA and ST) is still
on my favourite list. Atmosphere is very strange and the story is good.
Character developing is strange too but brisk (refreshing) compared to
the same old story we know from other RPGs, and it does work throughout
the game.

> I've still got a game half done on this PC in UAE. Very little time
> though.

'X-COM Enemy Unknown' took me a great couple of time in the last time.

I am happy I can (still) find titles from time to time (with my >42y
growing age...) which can make me addict as I were 20y old.
When I have time... ;-)

--
Daniel Mandic

Kivi

Apr 26, 2014, 11:12:09 PM4/26/14
Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:44:49 +0000, Daniel Mandic kirjoitti:

> Dear subscribers!
>

> Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!

Hard to pick just one favourite.

Civilization I - I still spend hours and hours with that game from time to
time when I boot up my A1200.

--
Kivi

Daniel Mandic

Apr 27, 2014, 7:32:57 AM4/27/14
Kivi wrote:

> Hard to pick just one favourite.

yeah :)

> Civilization I - I still spend hours and hours with that game from
> time to time when I boot up my A1200.

A great title!

I have heard about an AGA version of Civ published 1994...?

--
Daniel Mandic

Your Name

May 24, 2014, 8:28:10 PM5/24/14
In article <lgqg1h$far$1...@news.albasani.net>, Daniel Mandic
<daniel...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear subscribers!
>
> Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!

Probably my favourite games were the SSI RPGs like "Pool of Radiance".
I still play similar games on my Mac today. :-)

One of the best games was "Gods", which I play occasionally under
emulation, but is {beep}ingly difficult and not helped by using the
keybaord rather than a joystick.

Daniel Mandic

May 25, 2014, 3:14:17 AM5/25/14
Your Name wrote:

> Probably my favourite games were the SSI RPGs like "Pool of Radiance".

It delivers one of the best atmosphere I have ever met by playing RPGs.

> One of the best games was "Gods", which I play occasionally under
> emulation, but is {beep}ingly difficult and not helped by using the
> keybaord rather than a joystick.

Bitmap Brothers... mmmh (Nice!).

--
Daniel Mandic

Kivi

Oct 11, 2014, 10:31:32 AM10/11/14
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:32:57 +0000, Daniel Mandic kirjoitti:

> Kivi wrote:
>
>> Civilization I - I still spend hours and hours with that game from time
>> to time when I boot up my A1200.
>
> A great title!
>
> I have heard about an AGA version of Civ published 1994...?

Yeah, it exists. I have both versions.

--
Kivi

map...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2016, 8:55:49 PM6/25/16
Boy, it's been quite a time since I was active in csag. Any of the old fellas of the late 90s still around? I read that Angus wrote just recently and was happy to see that his Amiga games database is still around. Cheers, mate.:)

On to the question at hand:

While it's not the best game because of technical achievement, for clever story or for the deep impact it left on gaming as a whole, my favorite Amiga game has to be Kick Off 2. Played it all the time against my brother, and while it was far from being a realistic soccer simulation like the recent FIFAs try to be, it simply was pure and unadulterated fun with a small slice of chaos.

In the same vein, Speedball 2 comes as a very close 2nd.

Your Name

Jun 25, 2016, 9:15:04 PM6/25/16
In article <90c0c5b7-7a81-4b18...@googlegroups.com>,
<map...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 25. März 2014 00:44:49 UTC+1 schrieb Daniel Mandic:
> >
> > Dear subscribers!
> >
> > Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!
>
> Boy, it's been quite a time since I was active in csag. Any of the old fellas
> of the late 90s still around? I read that Angus wrote just recently and was
> happy to see that his Amiga games database is still around. Cheers, mate.:)
>
> On to the question at hand:
>
> While it's not the best game because of technical achievement, for clever
> story or for the deep impact it left on gaming as a whole, my favorite Amiga
> game has to be Kick Off 2. Played it all the time against my brother, and
> while it was far from being a realistic soccer simulation like the recent
> FIFAs try to be, it simply was pure and unadulterated fun with a small slice
> of chaos.
>
> In the same vein, Speedball 2 comes as a very close 2nd.

I detest sports games and sport in general! :-)

I don't know about "the best", but some games we played a lot included:

- Gods
- Chaos Engine
- Alien Breed
- Project X
- Lost Vikings
- Bubble Bobble
- Pang
- Lemmings
- Push Over
- Nebulus
- various RPG adventures
- Test Drive
- Wizball
- Fire & Ice
- Magic Pockets
- Great Giana Sisters

Your Name

Jun 26, 2016, 1:50:35 AM6/26/16
> Am Dienstag, 25. März 2014 00:44:49 UTC+1 schrieb Daniel Mandic:
> >
> > Dear subscribers!
> >
> > Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!
>
> Boy, it's been quite a time since I was active in csag. Any of the old fellas
> of the late 90s still around? I read that Angus wrote just recently and was
> happy to see that his Amiga games database is still around. Cheers, mate.:)
>
> On to the question at hand:
>
> While it's not the best game because of technical achievement, for clever
> story or for the deep impact it left on gaming as a whole, my favorite Amiga
> game has to be Kick Off 2. Played it all the time against my brother, and
> while it was far from being a realistic soccer simulation like the recent
> FIFAs try to be, it simply was pure and unadulterated fun with a small slice
> of chaos.
>
> In the same vein, Speedball 2 comes as a very close 2nd.

Here's something from the latest free ezine from CommodoreFree.com you
might find interesting ...

Dutch KickOff 2 championship 2016
---------------------------------
On 2 April 2016, the Dutch KickOff second championship
held in Amsterdam. The game is played on classic Amigas
and you can participate in each two halves of 5 minutes
each. The location of the championship is the Cafe
Batavia in Amsterdam. http://www.kickoff2amsterdam.com

Ryan P.

Jun 27, 2016, 4:45:25 PM6/27/16
Hah... Great Giana Sisters. I had a lot of fun playing that game. I
think mostly because I never had an NES, and it was a Super Mario 1
clone. Didn't the designers get sued over that?

Your Name

Jun 27, 2016, 9:15:39 PM6/27/16
In article <nks393$q30$1...@dont-email.me>, Ryan P. <ryann...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I don't know if they were ever sued. It certainly wasn't the only Mario
Bros. clone then or since.

Der_Richter

Jul 1, 2016, 1:48:33 PM7/1/16
Den 2014-03-25 kl. 00:44, skrev Daniel Mandic:
> Dear subscribers!
>

> Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!

Balance Of Power. Awesome simulation, that i still return to. I wish for
a remake every day. Now that the board game Twilight Struggle has a PC
version on steam that is 1:1 with the tabletop i can get by though :)

Joel S

Jul 17, 2016, 7:12:22 PM7/17/16
Surprised to see that nobody has mentioned Perihelion or any Cinemaware or Horrorsoft/Adventuresoft titles.

If I were to pick a single game it'd be Perihelion: The Prophecy.
To me that game encompasses all I love about Amiga games, the absolutely stunning art with a really beautiful color palette, the dark sci-fi setting and atmospheric music, and of course it's a game within the pretty much quintessential genre of that era - the first person grid based dungeon crawler.

Your Name

Jul 17, 2016, 8:56:28 PM7/17/16
In article <ab7ccddf-f4dc-4def...@googlegroups.com>,
Joel S <fisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 12:44:49 AM UTC+1, Daniel Mandic wrote:
> > Dear subscribers!
> >
> > Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!
>
> Surprised to see that nobody has mentioned Perihelion or any Cinemaware or
> Horrorsoft/Adventuresoft titles.

Cinemaware games looked good, but tended to be horribly slow playing
due to continually loading.

Another great-looking game, but not very playable was Shadow of the
Beast (which apparently now has a new version for modern computers).

> If I were to pick a single game it'd be Perihelion: The Prophecy.
> To me that game encompasses all I love about Amiga games, the absolutely
> stunning art with a really beautiful color palette, the dark sci-fi setting
> and atmospheric music, and of course it's a game within the pretty much
> quintessential genre of that era - the first person grid based dungeon crawler.

I can't remember ever playing that one. We did play all the SSI dungeon
games (on C64 and Amiga).

Ryan P.

Jul 18, 2016, 4:31:52 PM7/18/16
On 7/17/2016 7:58 PM, Your Name wrote:
> In article <ab7ccddf-f4dc-4def...@googlegroups.com>,
> Joel S <fisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 12:44:49 AM UTC+1, Daniel Mandic wrote:
>>> Dear subscribers!
>>>
>>> Please tell your favourite AMIGA Game (and why...). Just one guess!
>>
>> Surprised to see that nobody has mentioned Perihelion or any Cinemaware or
>> Horrorsoft/Adventuresoft titles.
>
> Cinemaware games looked good, but tended to be horribly slow playing
> due to continually loading.

{snip}

I really like Wings. Only had to deal with disk loads between
missions. And with my Supra 28 MHz accelerator, played beautifully.,

>> If I were to pick a single game it'd be Perihelion: The Prophecy.
>> To me that game encompasses all I love about Amiga games, the absolutely
>> stunning art with a really beautiful color palette, the dark sci-fi setting
>> and atmospheric music, and of course it's a game within the pretty much
>> quintessential genre of that era - the first person grid based dungeon crawler.
>
> I can't remember ever playing that one. We did play all the SSI dungeon
> games (on C64 and Amiga).

For dungeon crawlers, I always like Black Crypt. But I was addicted
to the SSI games, too. :)

I was always disappointed that they never made an Amiga version of
Alternate Reality: The Dungeon. Was one of my favorite games on the C64.

Frontier Elite II was good, too... despite its bugs!

Your Name

Jul 19, 2016, 4:07:06 AM7/19/16
In article <nmjebn$7ja$1...@dont-email.me>, Ryan P. <ryann...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 7/17/2016 7:58 PM, Your Name wrote:
> > In article <ab7ccddf-f4dc-4def...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Joel S <fisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Surprised to see that nobody has mentioned Perihelion or any Cinemaware or
> >> Horrorsoft/Adventuresoft titles.
> >
> > Cinemaware games looked good, but tended to be horribly slow playing
> > due to continually loading.
>
> {snip}
>
> I really like Wings. Only had to deal with disk loads between
> missions. And with my Supra 28 MHz accelerator, played beautifully.,

Wings was good ... but waiting for the loading was a pain (as was the
constant disk swapping until we got a second drive, and then a hard
drive).

Mind you, there have bee much worse games. On the Apple II (also on
C64) there was a great game called Castle Wofenstein, the original game
not the 3D rubbish, ... but it takes AGES to load from disk and if you
caught quickly you had to wait for the menu to reload and then start a
new game and wait for it to reload. Even with a "turbo" loading on the
Apple II emulator, it's still painful. :-\

> >> If I were to pick a single game it'd be Perihelion: The Prophecy.
> >> To me that game encompasses all I love about Amiga games, the absolutely
> >> stunning art with a really beautiful color palette, the dark sci-fi setting
> >> and atmospheric music, and of course it's a game within the pretty much
> >> quintessential genre of that era - the first person grid based dungeon
> >> crawler.
> >
> > I can't remember ever playing that one. We did play all the SSI dungeon
> > games (on C64 and Amiga).
>
> For dungeon crawlers, I always like Black Crypt. But I was addicted
> to the SSI games, too. :)
>
> I was always disappointed that they never made an Amiga version of
> Alternate Reality: The Dungeon. Was one of my favorite games on the C64.

We finished all the SII games, and many of the others like Bard's Tale.
I may even still have some of the maps we drew while playing them. I
still, play similar games on my Mac now.

> Frontier Elite II was good, too... despite its bugs!

There's a sort-of new version:

Elite: Dangerous
http://elitedangerous.com/

If you've got a PlayStation 4 console, there's a new game called "No
Man's Sky" which some reviewers are calling "Elite for a new century"
(it apparently has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets you can visit!).

Ryan P.

Jul 20, 2016, 4:03:36 PM7/20/16
C'mon... I just got a Playstation 3 only three years ago... Stop trying
to tempt me into spending another $350!

I may check out the PC version of Elite Dangerous, though... I'll
have to read up on it a bit more. Usually "massively multiplayer" games
are controlled by people who have no real-world life and spend 18 hours
a day in the game world helping to make the game miserable for
casual/low level players.

Your Name

Jul 20, 2016, 5:09:49 PM7/20/16
In article <nmolen$uc1$1...@dont-email.me>, Ryan P. <ryann...@gmail.com>
There's also a Windows version of "Elite: The New Kind", which is a
"conversion" of the original game.
http://www.new-kind.com

Your Name

Jul 20, 2016, 5:12:22 PM7/20/16
In article <nmolen$uc1$1...@dont-email.me>, Ryan P. <ryann...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I haven't got a games console at all ... just this Mac computer that is
almost 20 years old (although the version of Mac OS X it is running is
/only/ about 13 years old. :-)

Sparc IPX

Jul 27, 2016, 12:30:07 PM7/27/16
map...@gmail.com wrote:
I still game on my A1200 all the time, while I don't have an absolute
favourite per se, here's what I seem to play often:

Bad Company
Gods
Chaos Engine
Alien Breed: Tower Assault
Guardian CD32
Lethal Weapon
Black Tiger
Alien Syndrome

All via WHDLoad.

--
sparcipx

Ryan P.

Jul 29, 2016, 10:27:41 AM7/29/16
Truth be told, consoles aren't really worth the money. At least not
solely for game playing. Most of the games I've played (always bought
second hand, or for real cheap on Amazon!) don't really have any replay
value. The game I play most on my PS3 is a FREE flight sim.

Not like playing Rampage, or Mario, or Super Stardust or Project X...

---

Your Name

Jul 29, 2016, 5:19:02 PM7/29/16
In article <nnfp4s$gv3$1...@dont-email.me>, Ryan P.
Consoles are becoming more and more computer-like with decreasing
timeframes between updated versions trying to force you into upgrading
just to play the latest games by developers too lazy or too greedy to
actually make them available on the older systems.

Your Name

Jul 29, 2016, 5:28:43 PM7/29/16
In article <nnfp4s$gv3$1...@dont-email.me>, Ryan P.
<rdelet...@wi.rr.comm> wrote:
Plus almost all console games these days have 3D graphics (which make
me motion sick very quickly) and are just Doom clones ... B-O-R-I-N-G!

Ryan P.

Jul 29, 2016, 9:08:44 PM7/29/16
I'd lean towards too greedy. But that's partially the console maker's
fault, too. Look at how the PS2 and the PS3 started life being
backwards compatible with the previous incarnation, and then software
updates (in the case of the PS3) and hardware revisions (PS2) removed
that capability when not enough people were buying new copies of their
old games.

Ryan P.

Jul 29, 2016, 9:11:30 PM7/29/16
Yeah, they're pretty to look at (if you aren't susceptible to motion
sickness!), but very repetitive.