Amiga Linux

Gary P. Wolfe

May 6, 1993, 12:11:56 PM5/6/93
This is my first post to the net so I hope I do it right. Please be
understanding. I am looking for Amiga Linux, especially a version that
will work on an Amiga 4000/040 25Mhz. A friend of mine told me some

one else had posted that they had downloaded the Amiga Linux files and
was going to try them out on his/her Amiga 4000. This person did not,
however, post what the address to this archive was and where it is in
that archive. This was posted in Comp.sys.amiga.announce so if you are
reading this please e-mail me and let me know. Anyone else with valid
information is also invited to send e-mail to me also. Thank you,

-----Gary Wolfe

* Amiga 4000/040 w/ 14Mb RAM and 2 -120 Mb hard drives *
* -----Motorola Power! *
-----gwo...@gozer.idbsu.edu

--
"I was crazy once...They put me in a little white room...I loved that room...I
died in that room...When they buried me they put little white flowers on my

Gary P. Wolfe

May 6, 1993, 12:16:05 PM5/6/93
I apologize that I didn't include my address to the last post.
My address is gwo...@gozer.idbsu.edu
--Gary Wolfe

Michael T Pins

May 6, 1993, 11:15:30 PM5/6/93
gwo...@gozer.idbsu.edu (Gary P. Wolfe) writes:

>This is my first post to the net so I hope I do it right. Please be
>understanding. I am looking for Amiga Linux, especially a version that
>will work on an Amiga 4000/040 25Mhz. A friend of mine told me some
>one else had posted that they had downloaded the Amiga Linux files and
>was going to try them out on his/her Amiga 4000. This person did not,
>however, post what the address to this archive was and where it is in
>that archive. This was posted in Comp.sys.amiga.announce so if you are
>reading this please e-mail me and let me know. Anyone else with valid
>information is also invited to send e-mail to me also. Thank you,

The current version of Linux for the Amiga is useless for any real work as
it doesn't yet include such things as device-drivers....
If anyone wants to help write them, I'm sure the gent doing to port would
be glad of the help, but don't expect it to be a fuctional OS for some
time.

* Michael Pins | Internet: ami...@isca.uiowa.edu *
* ISCA's Amiga & Unix Librarian | #include <std.disclaimer> *

Guenther Grau

May 15, 1993, 11:40:48 AM5/15/93

---

In article 22...@guinness.idbsu.edu, gwo...@gozer.idbsu.edu (Gary P. Wolfe) writes:
> This is my first post to the net so I hope I do it right. Please be
> understanding. I am looking for Amiga Linux, especially a version that
> will work on an Amiga 4000/040 25Mhz. A friend of mine told me some
> one else had posted that they had downloaded the Amiga Linux files and
> was going to try them out on his/her Amiga 4000. This person did not,
> however, post what the address to this archive was and where it is in
> that archive. This was posted in Comp.sys.amiga.announce so if you are
> reading this please e-mail me and let me know. Anyone else with valid
> information is also invited to send e-mail to me also. Thank you,
>
> -----Gary Wolfe

Hi Gary,

It is currently not possible to run AmigaLinux on a MC68040, but work is underway to make the port work on a MC68040 and I think, that it won't be that difficult to do, but I am not in charge of that, so I don't know exactly, what the problem is.

I don't know what knowledge you have and if you are willing to help to port PC-Linux to the Amiga, but if you have some time to spend you are welcome to join the AmigaLinux-development-team. To get further information contact me via email.

By the way, the development of AmigaLinux is in a very eraly stage, so it is not useful for anybody else, but the developers.

The sources can be found on :

MAJOR FTP SITES FOR LINUX:

textual name numeric addr Linux directory
===================================== ============== ===============
tsx-11.mit.edu 18.172.1.2 /pub/linux
nic.funet.fi 128.214.6.100 /pub/OS/Linux
ftp.mcc.ac.uk 130.88.203.12 /pub/linux
kirk.bu.oz.au 131.244.1.1 /pub/OS/Linux
fgb1.fgb.mw.tu-muenchen.de 129.187.200.1 /pub/linux
ftp.dfv.rwth-aachen.de 137.226.4.105 /pub/linux
ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de 137.226.112.172 /pub/Linux
ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de 141.20.20.38 /pub/os/linux
sunsite.unc.edu 152.2.22.81 /pub/Linux
wuarchive.wustl.edu 128.252.135.4 /mirrors/linux
ftp.win.tue.nl /pub/linux
ftp.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de 134.169.34.15 /pub/os/linux
ftp.uni-kl.de /pub/linux
ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de 130.149.17.7 /pub/os/linux
srawgw.sra.co.jp
oliver.sun.ac.za /pub/linux
ftp.uu.net /systems/unix/linux
ftp.ibp.fr 132.227.60.2 /pub/linux
nic.switch.ch 130.59.1.40 /mirror/linux/
ftp.lysator.liu.se 130.236.254.1 /pub/linux

where tsx-11 is the primary distibution site.
AmigaLinux and the used/needed development tools can be found in linux/amiga.
There is exists a mailing-list, but this is also only useful for developers.

Guenther Grau

----------------------
Guenther Grau, Willy-Andreas-Allee 7, D-7500 (76131) Karlsruhe 1, FRG
Institute for Dialoque- and Operatingsystems, University of Karlsruhe

Home : +49 721 23445
Work : +49 721 608 3836
Fax : +49 721 697 760

s_g...@ira.uka.de

Jordan K. Hubbard

May 15, 1993, 8:00:57 PM5/15/93
[Copy of email sent to Guenther]

I have only one question: Why are you starting with Linux?

I've looked at putting Unix on the Amiga and see only two really
practical alternatives: BSDSS on top of Kludge Mach (BSDSS is about to
be resumed at CMU, see announcement on the 27th of May) or 386bsd with
the contributed HP300/400 code (all 68K based).

The reason I'd recommend 386bsd at all is for the simple reason that
the 386 specific code has been largely isolated to one area of the
code, and that there's already 68K code becoming available as part of
the BSD 4.4 efforts on HP 68040 boxes.

On the BSDSS front, things look much better, with a running Mach
already on the Amiga and a free unix server looking like it's finally
in the cards (CMU had backed away from BSDSS for awhile due to the
USL->BSDI crap).

Linux is about the worst place to start from, given the Intel specific
stuff scattered all throughout the code - better to write a Linux
server on top of Mach if it's "linux behaviour" you're looking for -
that would at least save you from having to do all the messy VM stuff
again. Linus himself has said that he never really intended Linux to
run on anything but PC's, and he wasn't all that careful about putting
all the PC specific stuff in one place.

Like I said, I'd go Mach or BSD. What stage are you people at?
--
Jordan Hubbard Lotus Development Ireland j...@whisker.lotus.ie

Dr Peter Kittel Germany

May 17, 1993, 12:33:35 PM5/17/93
In article <JKH.93Ma...@whisker.lotus.ie> j...@whisker.lotus.ie (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

>I have only one question: Why are you starting with Linux?
>
>I've looked at putting Unix on the Amiga and see only two really
>practical alternatives: BSDSS on top of Kludge Mach (BSDSS is about to
>be resumed at CMU, see announcement on the 27th of May) or 386bsd with
>the contributed HP300/400 code (all 68K based).

With all this BSD stuff: Isn't there a problem with some copyright
hazzle? Isn't this also the reason why Matt Dillon stopped his effort
to port BSD to the Amiga? If there are copyright problems, I better
would avoid to put effort in such a thing. It could be totally useless
after all.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel // E-Mail to \\ Only my personal opinions...
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany \X/ pet...@cbmger.de.so.commodore.com

Guenther Grau

May 24, 1993, 4:04:36 PM5/24/93
In article <JKH.93Ma...@whisker.lotus.ie>, j...@whisker.lotus.ie (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
|> [Copy of email sent to Guenther]
Didn't get any email from you by now.

Hi Jordan, hi world!

I want to clear things up a bit and answer your question, why we are 'starting'
with Linux.

I have followed the discussions about Unix on the Amiga for about two years now.
I have concluded the following, please correct me if I am wrong:

There is a community of Amiga-freaks who like to unix (never tried it as a verb
before) on their Amiga, including me. I haven't been able to pay for the
commercial version from CBM (Amix), but was willing to work for a PD-version of
AmigaUnix, i.e. to do some programming for it.

I haven't had a look at the mach-sources you mention above, but I have to say,
that the work around it got quite silent. I don't now what the current stage is,
but I haven't seen anything working around, nor a statement when it will be
available. I, too, don't know, how much work will have to be invested in porting
BSDSS to KludgeMach on the 680x0.

What I do know is, that some people have been working on a port of AmigaLinux for
a long time, but the team of porters fizzled. An independent work of this group
was done by Hamish, who got quite far without the help of anybody. He released
his work to the public in order to find other programmers helping him on his
port. It was a 'working' kernel, with most of the drivers missing, and therefore
it was (it still is, although some drivers have already been addad).only useable
for other developers.
As this is the (IMHO) most promising effort underway at the moment, I am
willing to join this team as soon as I am able to (need 68030-board for A1000). I
don't want to see the port ending up into a discussion, where to start the port.
I want to do some real work and the sources provided by Hamish are the best way
to do. I don't want to discuss, if it is better to port mach and then bsdss or
386bsd or anything else, but I want to join the most promising effort to have
Un*x running SOON on your Amiga.

I haven't heard about the 386bsd-port to HP 68040 boxes. Maybe you can email me
about that. I am not willing to reinvent the wheel. If there is something, we can
merge into AmigaLinux and it helps us saving time then, of course, it will be
merged with the current port of AmigaLinux.

That's all for now. Any questions and comments welcome.

Guenther

----------------------
Guenther Grau, Willy-Andreas-Allee 7, D-7500 (76131) Karlsruhe 1, FRG
Institute for Dialoque- and Operatingsystems, University of Karlsruhe

Home : +49 721 23445

the best of the world

Jul 10, 2023, 10:10:38 PM7/10/23
Em segunda-feira, 24 de maio de 1993 às 17:04:36 UTC-3, Guenther Grau escreveu:
true

yello gore

Jul 29, 2023, 9:51:53 PM7/29/23
> Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats, and rats make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats, and rats make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats, and rats make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats, and rats make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats, and rats make me crazy.

August Benefiel

Jul 31, 2023, 2:23:38 AM7/31/23
I can assure you, man pussy season do be hitting different

Paul Tabbinor

Aug 3, 2023, 2:46:04 AM8/3/23
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⡄⢠⡄⣠⠤⢤⡀⣤⠀⢠⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⡏⠀⣿⠀⢨⡇⣿⠀⢸⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠁⠀⠈⠉⠉⠀⠈⠉⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⠤⣄⢠⡄⠀⣤⢀⣠⢤⡀⢠⡄⠀⡄⢠⡀⠀⢠⣤⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣙⠲⢦⢸⡗⠒⣿⢸⡁⠀⣿⢸⡇⠀⡇⢸⡇⠀⢸⡇⠀⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⠋⠈⠃⠀⠋⠀⠙⠛⠁⠀⠙⠛⠁⠘⠛⠛⠘⠛⠋⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡀⢀⡀⢀⠀⡀⠀⠀⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡷⣯⠀⢸⠀⡇⠀⠀⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⠃⠈⠓⠘⠀⠛⠒⠂⠛⠒⠂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣀⠀⢀⡀⢀⣀⡀⠀⡀⠀⣀⢀⣀⣀⡀⢀⣀⣀⠀⣀⣀⡀⣀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⠀
⠀⠘⢷⠏⢰⡏⠀⢹⠄⡇⠀⣿⢸⣧⢤⡇⠘⠦⣬⡀⡧⠤⠄⣿⠀⠀⢸⠤⠄⠀
⠀⠀⠘⠀⠀⠛⠒⠋⠀⠛⠒⠋⠘⠃⠀⠓⠘⠲⠚⠁⠓⠒⠂⠛⠒⠒⠘⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⠀⢀⠀⢀⣀⠀⢀⠀⢀⠀⢀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡿⢆⣸⢠⡏⠉⢹⡈⣇⡼⣇⣼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠇⠈⠿⠀⠳⠶⠞⠀⠹⠇⠸⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠏⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠄⠄⢀⣀⣀⣀⡀⠄⢀⣠⡔⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣰⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⡆⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡏⣻⣟⣿⣿⡿⣟⣛⣿⡃⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⣿⣾⣿⣷⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣷⣽⣹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⣟⣿⣿⠺⣟⣻⣿⣿⣿⡏⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⡝⠻⠵⠿⠿⢿⣿⣿⢳⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣯⣧⠈⣛⣛⣿⣿⡿⣡⣞⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡧⠄⠙⠛⠛⢁⣴⣿⣿⣷⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟⠉⠄⠄⢠⠄⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿⠟⠁⠄⠈⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠉⠄⠄⢀⠠⠐⠒⠐⠾⠿⢟⠋⠁⠄⢀⣀⠠⠐⠄⠂⠈⠻⢿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⠋⠁⠄⢀⡈⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠁⠒⠉⠄⢠⣶⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠈⠫⢿
⣿⣿⡟⠄⢔⠆⡀⠄⠈⢀⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⢄⡀⠄⠈⡐⢠⠒⠄⠄⠄⠄⢀⣂
⣿⣿⠁⡀⠄⠄⢇⠄⠄⢈⠆⠄⠄⢀⠔⠉⠁⠉⠉⠣⣖⠉⡂⡔⠂⠄⢀⠔⠁⠄
⣿⡿⠄⠄⠄⠄⢰⠹⣗⣺⠤⠄⠰⡎⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠘⢯⡶⢟⡠⠰⠄⠄⠄⠄

Kit Sterling Stratton

Aug 10, 2023, 9:02:37 PM8/10/23
Amazing historical find. I hope the internet archeologists of the future preserve this thread for the betterment of all man kind.

At this point we're 3 and a halfish years out from the start of the covid 19 pandemic. The USA essentially attempted to "shut down" February 13th 2020 which caused the stock market to experience a massive crash. It was found that many politicians sold their positions en mass because they were the one's making the decisions to shut everything down and knew they could make a killer profit buying back in during the crash they decided to have "for the good of the American people" The attempt was aimed at heavily restricting reasons for people to go out to restaurants, bars, movie theaters and any other form of public entertain to try and contain the spread of the virus. This caused a huge spike is divisiveness between political parties. Conservatives refused to wear masks in public and on planes. Due to this selfishness the pandemic lasted years longer than it should have. Anyways, there's been a vaccine for a few years and covid is finally not in the news much anymore and not a part of every conversation finally.

Bitcoin spiked to $67,566.83 on November 8, 2021 and has since crashed into the mid 10k's just about a year later in nov 2022 and it is now around 29k as of this post. ETH is around 1900.

I don't know why I'm writing this. Just a weird time capsule tied to this stupid copy pasta meme traced back to this post in 1993.

Siddharth Saxena

Sep 3, 2023, 10:40:39 AM9/3/23
tum dono ki maa ki chu

Arya Beltaine

Sep 16, 2023, 9:56:24 PM9/16/23
crazy? i was crazy once. they looked me in a room. a rubber room. a rubber room with rats. and rats make me crazy. crazy?

Alice Schwartz

Oct 6, 2023, 9:19:27 PM10/6/23
hehehe

fire