Advice on Fusion

alasdair simpson

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
First of all,I am new to this group so apologies if I have not read
the info I require somewhere.

I am just about to get Fusion 3.1,OS 7 disks(13 of them) and OS8 (cd)
and the Rom File.

I was wondering if any current Fusion owners could send me any
tips/pointers on installing Fusion the rom file and Mac OS.I intend
hopefully to install the Mac control program for a DC25 digital camera
(The amiga program does not support the memory card)

I will be installing the above on to a new 2.1 gig scsi hard drive and
dedicating the whole drive for Fusion etc.

I specifically require info on setting up the harddrive(it is still in
its wrapping and has not been formatted or anything)

I know the above may be in the instructions for Fusion(I have not
actually rec'd it yet)but have found through experience that when
using software us users find solutions to configuring/setting up
sofware so that is why I am asking for advice.

Thanks to all who take time to read this and hopefully reply.

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year

Alasdair Simpson

alas...@amiga-graphics.demon.co.uk
--
________________________________
My System :-A1200 Zorro 2 Micronik Tower,Picasso

On order :- Blizzard Vision (2 Weeks) and Rombler

Marcel DeVoe

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
alasdair simpson <alas...@amiga-graphics.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> First of all,I am new to this group so apologies if I have not read
> the info I require somewhere.

> I am just about to get Fusion 3.1,OS 7 disks(13 of them) and OS8 (cd)
> and the Rom File.

> I was wondering if any current Fusion owners could send me any
> tips/pointers on installing Fusion the rom file and Mac OS.I intend
> hopefully to install the Mac control program for a DC25 digital camera
> (The amiga program does not support the memory card)

> I will be installing the above on to a new 2.1 gig scsi hard drive and
> dedicating the whole drive for Fusion etc.

> I specifically require info on setting up the harddrive(it is still in
> its wrapping and has not been formatted or anything)

> I know the above may be in the instructions for Fusion(I have not
> actually rec'd it yet)but have found through experience that when
> using software us users find solutions to configuring/setting up
> sofware so that is why I am asking for advice.

Well, I would partition the drive into two at least. The Mac uses drives
the same as PCs do, in that the larger the partition the larger the block
size for each small file.

For example, a one gig drive uses 16k block sizes, whereas a 2 gig drive
allocates 32k block sizes, so more wasted disk space.

It's also better to format the drives first under Amiga, then mount them
in Fusion's Devices menu.

Since you are using the entire drive like I am for the Mac, you COULD put
it under Peripherals/SCSI without having to format it under Amiga first,
but it seems that the Amiga in general will multitask better if you select
it under Devices.

But if you intend to use a Zip device or some other removable hard disk,
then it will be better to put it under Peripherals/SCSI for compatibility
with other Macs, if you intend to swap files and such. Formatting those
under Amiga and then using them in Devices makes them not recognisable to
other Macs. This is something that I don't think is spelled out too well
in Fusion's docs.

One thing that is spelled out but people still don't seem to understand is
that you MUST use "generic" style Mac System installation disks. The kind
you would get if you went into a Computer store and bought off-the-shelf.
Systems from specific Macs such as a Quadra900 with or without CDROM drive
have software specific to that Mac only and most of the time causes
problems with Fusion.

Then boot with the DiskTools disk in your HD floppy drive (What! You don't
HAVE one? Then you better get one. ;) and it will ask if you want to
initialise your hard drive which you do. Shut down and then boot the 1st
Install disk.

Use "Custom" install and open the drawer called Systems and click on "For
Any Mac" and then click Install. That's it! Don't click on anything else.
All the necessary files to get you properly running will install onto your
hard drive.

After installation of the last disk, shutdown and set the boot delay in
Fusion's Advanced section to give you a 3 second delay from the sound to
the Happy Mac boot logo. Start the boot process and then immediately after
you see the Happy Mac boot logo, press down and hold a bit on the SHIFT
key. This will boot with the extentions off.

The reason we have to do this is one of the default Extentions files that
gets installed (depending on the System version you are installing, but
I don't think it's 8.1 as that is on CDROM and you said you are using
floppies) is the ARose extention, and that causes some conflicts and
sometimes stalls the boot process and must be removed.

After booting finishes click on the Apple logo on the upper left title bar
and drag down to the Control Panels and then onto the Extentions Manager.
In there you just remove the checkmark on the ARose extention and then
close the windows.

Now you can reboot hopefully with no problems.

If I've left something out anyone feel free to correct me. It's been a
long time since I did an installation.

If you want some real tips, I would suggest joining the Fusion Mailing
List for a time, accessible from Microcode's web pages. You can join and
quit anytime you like so there's no need to be continually swamped by
mail.

CC:'ed and Posted.

--
Marcel J. DeVoe - mde...@shore.net - Team *AMIGA*
A4000/060 CyberStorm MKII overclocked 66mhz - "How to do it!"

Alan L.M. Buxey

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
On 16 Dec 98 22:57:45 +0000 ,alasdair simpson posted the following:

: I am just about to get Fusion 3.1,OS 7 disks(13 of them) and OS8 (cd)
: and the Rom File.

i wouldnt bother with 8 just yet - as its PPC only

alan

Lars Nelson

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98

kc...@central.susx.ac.uk (Alan L.M. Buxey) writes:
>222 71848 <75b0rf$13j$1...@infa.central.susx.ac.uk>

Incorrect. 8.5 is the first PPC only release.

Lars Nelson la...@infohwy.com

amig...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
In article <75b0rf$13j$1...@infa.central.susx.ac.uk>,

kc...@central.susx.ac.uk (Alan L.M. Buxey) wrote:
> On 16 Dec 98 22:57:45 +0000 ,alasdair simpson posted the following:
>
> : I am just about to get Fusion 3.1,OS 7 disks(13 of them) and OS8 (cd)
> : and the Rom File.
>
> i wouldnt bother with 8 just yet - as its PPC only

8.5 is PPC only. However, 8(.0) and 8.1 are also happy on 040 macs as
advertized. I've heard Fusion can also allow it to run on 030s, is this
true?

I have an 060, how reliable are Fusion and 8.1 together? With Shapeshifter
and 7.6.1 I have problems with ICQ. With 040 and 7.5.5 I was unable to play
Duke Nukem that was supposed to work on 040 macs... Anyone seen these
programs work on Fusion/8.1 (or older OS versions too), 060? Anyone get
other weird errors that programs bomb out right after double-clicking
them in Fusion/8.1/060? I'm considering switching, if nothing more than
for 8.1 support, but would like to know what I'm getting into first,
considering how much faith I have in Jim Drew products. But I haven't seen
the gobs of complaints back in the 2.x days for a long time, so it might
be safe now... (?)

Bill

Marcel DeVoe

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
amig...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <75b0rf$13j$1...@infa.central.susx.ac.uk>,
> kc...@central.susx.ac.uk (Alan L.M. Buxey) wrote:
>> On 16 Dec 98 22:57:45 +0000 ,alasdair simpson posted the following:
>>
>> : I am just about to get Fusion 3.1,OS 7 disks(13 of them) and OS8 (cd)
>> : and the Rom File.
>>
>> i wouldnt bother with 8 just yet - as its PPC only

> 8.5 is PPC only. However, 8(.0) and 8.1 are also happy on 040 macs as
> advertized. I've heard Fusion can also allow it to run on 030s, is this
> true?

Yes, I believe as long as you have an FPU.

> I have an 060, how reliable are Fusion and 8.1 together? With Shapeshifter
> and 7.6.1 I have problems with ICQ. With 040 and 7.5.5 I was unable to play
> Duke Nukem that was supposed to work on 040 macs... Anyone seen these
> programs work on Fusion/8.1 (or older OS versions too), 060? Anyone get
> other weird errors that programs bomb out right after double-clicking
> them in Fusion/8.1/060? I'm considering switching, if nothing more than
> for 8.1 support, but would like to know what I'm getting into first,
> considering how much faith I have in Jim Drew products. But I haven't seen
> the gobs of complaints back in the 2.x days for a long time, so it might
> be safe now... (?)

I only have OS 7.5.5 but on my 060 and Duke, at least the demo, runs fine
here.

There are some problems with SOME programs though, especially if you
have a phase5 060 with the updated libraries. The 060 library is up to
44.5 but Netscape 4.x won't run with it. You must use v42 or older.
Netscape 3.x works fine though and I actually prefer that anyways since
the newer one dropped Java.

Another problem with OS 8.1 is that ethernet is difficult at best to set
up, if not at all. You must use the older MacTCP in "Classic Network"
mode along with MacPPP or FreePPP. Even then it might not work with all
ethernet boards. I can't say which ones as I don't have one yet, I'm
waiting for someone with the new AriadneII to fill us in though.

Antony Alonso

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Hello amigabill, on 17-Dec-98 23:48:41, you said,

>8.5 is PPC only. However, 8(.0) and 8.1 are also happy on 040 macs as
>advertized. I've heard Fusion can also allow it to run on 030s, is this
>true?

Yes, but you have to use the 1mb ROMs instead of the 512k variety.

>I have an 060, how reliable are Fusion and 8.1 together?

Pretty reliable. Fusion has an option submenu to turn on/off certain
features of the 68060 if they interfere. Using P5 libraries, you can't
use NetScape Communicator V4.X as the library has a bug in it that Ralph
can't or won't track down or fix.

>With Shapeshifter and 7.6.1 I have problems with ICQ.

I've ran ICQ with Fusion --- worked for me. But that might've been a
few revisions back (of Mirabillis' Mac client).

>With 040 and 7.5.5 I was unable to play Duke Nukem that was supposed to
>work on 040 macs... Anyone seen these programs work on Fusion/8.1 (or
>older OS versions too), 060?

Duke Nuke'em works fine here on MacOS8.X and 68040/40. BTW: there was a
separate patch for DN, as it's PPC native without it AFAIK.

>Anyone get other weird errors that programs bomb out right after double-

>clicking them in Fusion/8.1/060? I'm considering switching, if nothing

>more than for 8.1 support, but would like to know what I'm getting into
>first, considering how much faith I have in Jim Drew products.

Fusion is by far superior to his earlier, inferior products.

>But I haven't seen the gobs of complaints back in the 2.x days for a long
>time, so it might be safe now... (?)

Subscribe to the Fusion mailing list and check it out, man!

>Bill

*ATTENTION*
==========

Do NOT auto-reply to this message. The return address has been purposefully
altered so as to prevent unsolicited spam mail. To properly respond via
email, delete the "/REMOVE/" in the reply-to address.

System Specs (for comp.sys.amiga.* newsgroup posts):
A3kT, CyberVision64, MultiFaceIII, Emplant Deluxe, BJ-610
Warp Engine 4040 w/128mb Fast, 2.1GB HD, 1GB Jaz, 4X CDROM
Paragon 600SPII Flatbed scanner, USR V.90 Courier, 17" MAG

Ralph Schmidt

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
On 12/18/98, "Antony Alonso" wrote:
>Hello amigabill, on 17-Dec-98 23:48:41, you said,
>
>>8.5 is PPC only. However, 8(.0) and 8.1 are also happy on 040 macs
as
>>advertized. I've heard Fusion can also allow it to run on 030s, is
this
>>true?
>
>Yes, but you have to use the 1mb ROMs instead of the 512k variety.
>
>>I have an 060, how reliable are Fusion and 8.1 together?
>
>Pretty reliable. Fusion has an option submenu to turn on/off certain
>features of the 68060 if they interfere. Using P5 libraries, you
can't
>use NetScape Communicator V4.X as the library has a bug in it that
Ralph
>can't or won't track down or fix.

I扉e made it clear what i will do and not do in 1-2 articles
and all you do is twisting my words.
I扉e *****NOT***** said that i wouldn愒 fix it if i can
reproduce it what you claim here.

If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a
reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO.
People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can
you tell me why any developer in this market should move a
finger for a person like you ?

--
Ralph Schmidt,la...@popmail.owl.de(private),NextMail welcome

Alan L.M. Buxey

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
On 18 Dec 1998 11:51:00 GMT ,Ralph Schmidt posted the following:

: People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can

: you tell me why any developer in this market should move a
: finger for a person like you ?

they shouldnt.

anyway, back to the subject in hand - are you close to finding out the
68060.library bug that creates the problem?

alan

Kirk Strauser

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Ralph Schmidt wrote:

>If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a

>reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO. People like you are a

>real turn down to any motivation...can you tell me why any developer in
>this market should move a finger for a person like you ?

I can think of about 1300 (USD) reasons why you should fix it.
--
Kirk Strauser Member // http://members.dialnet.net/teknique/
Team AMIGA \X/ http://csc.smsu.edu/~strauser/RA.html

Alan L.M. Buxey

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:48:41 GMT ,amig...@my-dejanews.com posted the following:

: programs work on Fusion/8.1 (or older OS versions too), 060? Anyone get

: other weird errors that programs bomb out right after double-clicking

: them in Fusion/8.1/060? I'm considering switching, if nothing more than

well, i've got 060 and 7.6 - i'm wondering whether I should upgrade (ie
will >7.6 provide better 060 support?

alan

Antony Alonso

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
[Posted to NG and CC'd to author --- newsserver problems --- AGAIN!]

Hello Ralph Schmidt, on 18-Dec-98 06:51:00, you said,

>On 12/18/98, "Antony Alonso" wrote:

>>Hello amigabill, on 17-Dec-98 23:48:41, you said,

>>>8.5 is PPC only. However, 8(.0) and 8.1 are also happy on 040 macs as
>>>advertized. I've heard Fusion can also allow it to run on 030s, is
>>>this true?

>>Yes, but you have to use the 1mb ROMs instead of the 512k variety.

>>>I have an 060, how reliable are Fusion and 8.1 together?

>>Pretty reliable. Fusion has an option submenu to turn on/off certain
>>features of the 68060 if they interfere. Using P5 libraries, you can't
>>use NetScape Communicator V4.X as the library has a bug in it that
>>Ralph can't or won't track down or fix.

>I´ve made it clear what i will do and not do in 1-2 articles

>and all you do is twisting my words.

I wasn't twisting your words.

>I´ve *****NOT***** said that i wouldn´t fix it if i can

>reproduce it what you claim here.

If you'd bother to re-read my original statement on point here, you'd
see what was said; to wit: "Ralph *can't* [emphasis added] or won't track
down or fix."

>If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a

>reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO.

I'll ask you again: Joe Fenton has said at one point he offered you a copy
of Fusion developer-to-developer without charge. Now since you're coding
the 68040/68060 libraries, I can only assume you own either a 68040 or
68060 board. Why didn't you take him up on his offer so you can see first-
hand the bug mentioned in a reprodceable bug?

>People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can you tell me
>why any developer in this market should move a finger for a person like
>you ?

Myself, I don't really care as I can happily use Commodore's bugfree
library and sidestep the problem. But yes I can --- for all those that
*bought* P5 products.

BTW: some of the statements you made from the Comp.sys.amiga.hardware
post in reply to me have been discussed to some degree on the Fusion
Mailing List. I wish to share with you various snippets of the exchange.

{Your original statement in the last reply on the subject:}

>>How should i fix bugs i don´t have ? And btw..the mac uses
>>cas/cas2/tas instructions which are illegal on an amiga system.
>>That can be read in the Amiga Hardware manual.

[Joe Fenton's reply along with Fred Wright's comments on Joe's stuff]:

The hardware manual says not to use CAS/TAS on things handled by GARY (the
custom chips and chip memory basically); it is perfectly legal to do it
elsewhere, and Commodore warned accelerator/memory expansion designers to
support those instructions on main memory. You CAN do CAS/TAS on chip
memory, but may hold off a DMA cycle, causing glitches in Amiga audio or
video.

I have yet to see a problem on an Amiga with either instruction.

[Fred Wright's reply to Joe]:

I've never seen any mention of CAS at all. Both the HRM and RKM have
admonitions against using TAS, but they were probably inherited from the
A1000.

The problem is that on the original 68000 bus, read-modify-write cycles
were literally just that - a different signal sequence from normal reads
and writes. Interface logic that didn't take this into account could
easily malfunction on those cycles. I belive the bus logic on 68000-based
Amigas falls into this category. The only such instruction at that
time was TAS.

Beginning with the 68020, the bus protocol was changed to make a RMW cycle
look like a separate normal read and write, except for an additional
signal to indicate the locked sequence. Logic that simply ignores RMC
(020/030) or LOCK/LOCKE (040/060) can't even tell that a special cycle is
being done. The CAS and CAS2 instructions were introduced at this time.

The 060 deimplemented CAS with misaligned operands and all cases of CAS2,
requiring emulation. It was a bug in this emulation in the V43 libraries
that caused the OT problem.

In the A3000, Gary doesn't even connect to RMC, making it hard to see how
it could have a problem. Buster *does* connect to it, perhaps to support
locked Zorro cycles.

[Joe Fenton's reply to Fred]:

Those were the two points made in Amiga Mail. On 68000's, the RMW
instructions do a special RMW cycle which cannot be used by the custom
chips; since FUSION doesn't support the 68000, this is a moot point. On
higher processors, the bus controller uses the RMW/LOCK signal to do
atomic Zorro cycles, and there was a warning to Zorro card designers to
watch out that you implemented them correctly and didn't assume that a
card only got one cycle... a zorro 3 card can have many cycles before
having to give up the bus.

But, as far as I remember, TAS/CAS/CAS2 are perfectly legal instructions
on the Amiga.

[Fred Wright's reply to Joe]:

Well, TAS is specifically prohibited in both the Hardware Reference Manual
and one of the ROM Kernel Manuals, but as discussed, I think this is based
on 68000 Amigas and not necessarily relevant to 020+ Amigas (though it was
never updated). I've never seen any prohibition on CAS or CAS2, but TAS
is "officially" illegal for what that's worth.

TAS is also pretty useless without bus locking, as it's almost identical
to "BSET #7". CAS and CAS2 on the other hand perform otherwise non-atomic
functions, and are useful in relation to interrupts even on single-CPU
systems (which is probably why Apple uses them). Unfortunately the 060
makes them less useful (except for aligned CAS).

{Your original statement in the last reply on the subject:}

>>Mr. Fenton sent me a potential crash sequence for Photoshop but
>>this sequence didn´t crash under amigaos with a small init layer.
>>I´ve sent that back to Mr. Fenton and haven´t heard anything
>>since then.

[Joe Fenton's reply]:

I've been looking into that more closely; I will be sending my
update info to him shortly. As I said, if you can't show him
down to the byte where the problem is and how to fix it, he can't
find or fix it himself. I am starting to believe he simply
doesn't know how.

>--
>Ralph Schmidt,la...@popmail.owl.de(private),NextMail welcome

Marius Lichte

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
mde...@shore.net (Marcel DeVoe) wrote:

> Another problem with OS 8.1 is that ethernet is difficult at best to set
> up, if not at all. You must use the older MacTCP in "Classic Network"
> mode along with MacPPP or FreePPP. Even then it might not work with all
> ethernet boards. I can't say which ones as I don't have one yet, I'm
> waiting for someone with the new AriadneII to fill us in though.

I have an Ariadne I and II here.
Trying to use Ethernet within Fusion resulted in a lockup while
entering the configuration data into the MacTCP control panel.

Haven't tried Appletalk yet.

Regards,
Marius

--
MicroDot 1.14 Reg

Jim Drew

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Ralph Schmidt wrote:

> On 12/18/98, "Antony Alonso" wrote:
> >Hello amigabill, on 17-Dec-98 23:48:41, you said,
> >
> >>8.5 is PPC only. However, 8(.0) and 8.1 are also happy on 040 macs
> as
> >>advertized. I've heard Fusion can also allow it to run on 030s, is
> this
> >>true?
> >
> >Yes, but you have to use the 1mb ROMs instead of the 512k variety.
> >
> >>I have an 060, how reliable are Fusion and 8.1 together?
> >
> >Pretty reliable. Fusion has an option submenu to turn on/off certain
> >features of the 68060 if they interfere. Using P5 libraries, you
> can't
> >use NetScape Communicator V4.X as the library has a bug in it that
> Ralph
> >can't or won't track down or fix.
> >

> I扉e made it clear what i will do and not do in 1-2 articles

> and all you do is twisting my words.

> I扉e *****NOT***** said that i wouldn愒 fix it if i can

> reproduce it what you claim here.
>

> If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a
> reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO.

> People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can

> you tell me why any developer in this market should move a

> finger for a person like you ?

Ralph is NOT at fault here.... We believe that Motorola's 060 library
code is buggy. If you use some of the 060 replacement patches (for
speeding up various features), Netscape works fine. Since Ralph did not
write Motorola's 060 code, please don't bitch at him. :-)

Hi Ralph. :-)

Jim Drew

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
"Alan L.M. Buxey" wrote:

Apple NEVER supported the 060... ever. So, there is no such thing as 'better
support' for any version of the MAC OS.

Antony Alonso

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Hello Jim Drew, on 18-Dec-98 20:40:49, you said,

>Ralph Schmidt wrote:

>> If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a
>> reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO.
>> People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can
>> you tell me why any developer in this market should move a
>> finger for a person like you ?

>Ralph is NOT at fault here.... We believe that Motorola's 060 library
>code is buggy. If you use some of the 060 replacement patches (for
>speeding up various features), Netscape works fine. Since Ralph did not
>write Motorola's 060 code, please don't bitch at him. :-)

Err... what patches are those? And why haven't they been discussed on
the Fusion mailing list? People are still bemoaning the fact their
68060s can't run Netscape Communicator V4.X. Would you care to post these
on the list, Jim?

>Hi Ralph. :-)

Ralph: wasn't trying to jump on you with both feet, dude. I was trying to
be constructive (even if the tone didn't come across right).

Thomas Tavoly

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98

In article <367B0616...@ctaz.com> Jim Drew <ms...@ctaz.com> writes:

> Ralph is NOT at fault here.... We believe that Motorola's 060 library
> code is buggy. If you use some of the 060 replacement patches (for
> speeding up various features), Netscape works fine.

Could you tell us which these are and whether it matters which emulation
you use?

_ . Thomas Tavoly
. _ // . aTm...@amiga.cistron.nl
. \X/ http://www.cistron.nl/~ttavoly
... 5.1

amig...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
In article <367B064C...@ctaz.com>,

Jim Drew <ms...@ctaz.com> wrote:
> "Alan L.M. Buxey" wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:48:41 GMT ,amig...@my-dejanews.com posted the following:
> >
> > : programs work on Fusion/8.1 (or older OS versions too), 060? Anyone get
> > : other weird errors that programs bomb out right after double-clicking
> > : them in Fusion/8.1/060? I'm considering switching, if nothing more than
> >
> > well, i've got 060 and 7.6 - i'm wondering whether I should upgrade (ie
> > will >7.6 provide better 060 support?
> >
> Apple NEVER supported the 060... ever. So, there is no such thing as 'better
> support' for any version of the MAC OS.

Well, what I intended is, does the Mac stuff like 060s better under Fusion
than it does under Shapeshifter? I know Mac never did 060... I was just
wondering if any of these problems I have would magically go away under
Fusion, alluding to some slight problems in Shapeshifter that Fusion doesn't
have or something like that... I am always amazed at Jim's talent at not
answering the question asked, even when they're stated far clearer than mine
seems to have been...

Marcel DeVoe

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98

Which CPU do you have? If you have an 040 or 060 by phase5, have you tried
using the older libraries v42 and earlier?

Jim Drew

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
amig...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <367B064C...@ctaz.com>,
> Jim Drew <ms...@ctaz.com> wrote:
> > "Alan L.M. Buxey" wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:48:41 GMT ,amig...@my-dejanews.com posted the following:
> > >
> > > : programs work on Fusion/8.1 (or older OS versions too), 060? Anyone get
> > > : other weird errors that programs bomb out right after double-clicking
> > > : them in Fusion/8.1/060? I'm considering switching, if nothing more than
> > >
> > > well, i've got 060 and 7.6 - i'm wondering whether I should upgrade (ie
> > > will >7.6 provide better 060 support?
> > >
> > Apple NEVER supported the 060... ever. So, there is no such thing as 'better
> > support' for any version of the MAC OS.
>
> Well, what I intended is, does the Mac stuff like 060s better under Fusion
> than it does under Shapeshifter? I know Mac never did 060... I was just
> wondering if any of these problems I have would magically go away under
> Fusion, alluding to some slight problems in Shapeshifter that Fusion doesn't
> have or something like that... I am always amazed at Jim's talent at not
> answering the question asked, even when they're stated far clearer than mine
> seems to have been...

Read the message... the question was, "will 7.6 provide better 060 support?"

Antony Alonso

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Hello Antony Alonso, on 19-Dec-98 02:54:49, you said,

>Hello Jim Drew, on 18-Dec-98 20:40:49, you said,

>>Ralph Schmidt wrote:

>>> If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a
>>> reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO.
>>> People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can
>>> you tell me why any developer in this market should move a
>>> finger for a person like you ?

>>Ralph is NOT at fault here.... We believe that Motorola's 060 library

>>code is buggy. If you use some of the 060 replacement patches (for

>>speeding up various features), Netscape works fine. Since Ralph did not
>>write Motorola's 060 code, please don't bitch at him. :-)

>Err... what patches are those? And why haven't they been discussed on
>the Fusion mailing list? People are still bemoaning the fact their
>68060s can't run Netscape Communicator V4.X. Would you care to post these
>on the list, Jim?

Actually, I'm rethinking my drink here, so to speak. That may explain the
68060 difficulties related to Fusion and 68060 libs, but it certainly does
not for the 68040 libs (unless you, Jim are going to say the same bugs
exist with Motorola's code?)

John R. Long

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

YES Upgrades do help all of AMIGAdom. Thankx to any and all software publishers who continue to support the Best commecial computer ever made!!!!!!!

nw...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
In article <75dfj4$nli$1...@pri.owl.de>,

la...@basis.owl.de (Ralph Schmidt) wrote:
> If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a
> reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO.
> People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can
> you tell me why any developer in this market should move a
> finger for a person like you ?

Please know there are those of us out here that DO appreciate
your efforts! We may not speak up as often as we should, this
goes for the Fusion guys too, but evey time you guys release
an upgrade or a patch that makes my system better or smoother,
you renew my faith in the Amiga. Thanks!

Now about that 68060.linrary :) Any chance of seeing it soon? :)
----
John England

Marcel DeVoe

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
nw...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <75dfj4$nli$1...@pri.owl.de>,
> la...@basis.owl.de (Ralph Schmidt) wrote:
>> If i read such bullshit my intention to release a fix, for a
>> reproduceable bugreport to me, is close to ZERO.
>> People like you are a real turn down to any motivation...can
>> you tell me why any developer in this market should move a
>> finger for a person like you ?

> Please know there are those of us out here that DO appreciate
> your efforts! We may not speak up as often as we should, this
> goes for the Fusion guys too, but evey time you guys release
> an upgrade or a patch that makes my system better or smoother,
> you renew my faith in the Amiga. Thanks!

> Now about that 68060.linrary :) Any chance of seeing it soon? :)

There is supposed to have been some collaberation between Microcode and
Ralph for a fix to the 68060.library from Phase5 for the Netscape 4.0
crashing problem within Fusion Mac emulator.

Hopefully we will see an update to the library soon on phase5's ftp site.
The last version was 44.5 so it /should/ be something higher than that.

--
Marcel J. DeVoe - mde...@shore.net - Team *AMIGA*

A4000/060 CyberStorm MKII overclocked 66mhz - see "How to do it!"
and "DIY A4000 Tower for $45" at http://www.shore.net/~mdevoe
A4091scsi CV64 64 megs CDROM M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION MacOS7.5.5

MHC

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Hey, two quick questions
1) How can I make the icon for a Mac formatted Partition (that I use with Fusion/SS) disappear from
my Amiga Desktop, or appear as something other that a Non-Amiga Dos formatted disk?

2) Has anyone successfully gotten America Online working in Fusion 3.1. (It crashes when it attempts
to dial, or says I don't have a connection) I'm using OS7.5.5 and the latest version of FreePPP if
that's any help.

Thanks, Mike Cardwell

Neil Matthews

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
"MHC" == "MHC" writes:

MHC> 1) How can I make the icon for a Mac formatted Partition (that I
MHC> use with Fusion/SS) disappear from my Amiga Desktop, or appear
MHC> as something other that a Non-Amiga Dos formatted disk?

Switch to DOpus Magellan, as it lets you hide "bad disks".

Posted with Amiga NewsRog

Marcel DeVoe

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

Easy! Go into HDToolBox and go to the partition, Advanced feasures and
change the file system from FFS to CUSTOM. The Mask SHOULD change to 0x0
or something similar(I forget exactly, I'm not home now), if not then
change it. Then save your changes to disk. It will give you a warning that
you will loose your data, but you won't.

VOILA! No more icon on the workbench, yet Fusion will still be able to see
it.

Marcel DeVoe

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
MHC <card...@msu.edu> wrote:
> 2) Has anyone successfully gotten America Online working in Fusion 3.1. (It crashes when it attempts
> to dial, or says I don't have a connection) I'm using OS7.5.5 and the latest version of FreePPP if
> that's any help.

Forgot to answer this one in the previous posting.

Yes. My nephew has an account with them and can access them no problem.
But I don't know if he uses FreePPP or not. It may be MacPPP that came
with the OS or OT.

You can email him for info if you like at ELeg...@aol.com ;)

Antony Alonso

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Hello MHC, on 21-Jan-99 11:39:32, you said,

>2) Has anyone successfully gotten America Online working in Fusion 3.1.
>(It crashes when it attempts to dial, or says I don't have a connection)
>I'm using OS7.5.5 and the latest version of FreePPP if that's any help.

I believe you have to enable Virtual Memory. There was a better solution
than this, but I forget. Subscribe to the fusion mailing list and ask
the folks there.

>Thanks, Mike Cardwell

MiCro

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
america online works fine, #1 u have overclocked ur 060, the problem u r having is based in the maths and
060 libraries get other versions, kill your def icon for #2 or see below, netscape 4 gave me problems on
fusion, i switched libraries and everything works, but the problem ur getting is definitely library and
timing based. I use a gvp i/o card, amiga serial works, and emplant serial works with 060 in superscalar, I
had a mulriface card with heat problems, and an old burn cia which worked for the most part on the amiga
side but got me the same type of crash ur getting...