BAD NEWS from READYSOFT - no more AMAX-IV

Matt Weatherford

Nov 3, 1994, 1:57:24 PM11/3/94
I just got off the phone from ReadySoft, Inc. I talked to technical
support and they told me the following:

- AMAX IV has never been tested on an OS later than 2.1
- AMAX Will never be tested/supported for AmigaDos versions greater than 2.1
- AMAX will never be tested/supported for any Mac system greater than 7.1
- AMAX as a product will have no further development

I told him I couldnt get system 7.1 or 7.5 to install on my
A4000/040 and he told me to downrev to OS 2.1 (how ridiculous!)

The technician said that the original programmer (Douglas Piha, I
assume) is no longer working on the product.

This sounds like the death of competition in the Mac Emulator arena.

Anyone know how to get System 7.1 installed from HD floppies without
having the Emulation lock up during the install process? (A4000/3.1/040)

--
Matt Weatherford Atlantis Diagnostics Int'l (206) 487-7826 ma...@atl.com

Olaf Barthel

Nov 6, 1994, 6:29:49 AM11/6/94
In Article <1994Nov3....@atl.com>, Matt Weatherford <ma...@atl.com> wrote:
> I just got off the phone from ReadySoft, Inc. I talked to technical
> support and they told me the following:
>
> - AMAX IV has never been tested on an OS later than 2.1
> - AMAX Will never be tested/supported for AmigaDos versions greater than 2.1
> - AMAX will never be tested/supported for any Mac system greater than 7.1
> - AMAX as a product will have no further development
>
> I told him I couldnt get system 7.1 or 7.5 to install on my
> A4000/040 and he told me to downrev to OS 2.1 (how ridiculous!)

The trouble is that in order to get the emulation working, you
really need to step down to an earlier Amiga operating system release.
There are also a few other trouble spots, most notably the hard coded
references to mfm.device and PC0: which give the word "trouble" an
entirely new meaning. Back then when VillageTronic in Germany wanted to
pick up the distribution for A-Max IV I gave the product as thorough
a test as I could. The list of shortcomings and bugs filled quite a
number of pages. Back then Simon Douglas still worked on the product
and a few problems were fixed ('040 compatibility, for example). However,
not all problems were corrected and now I doubt that we will see the
day when they will get corrected. Seems to me it's time for Utilities
Unlimited to announce a competitive upgrade program.

> The technician said that the original programmer (Douglas Piha, I
> assume) is no longer working on the product.

It's Simon Douglas.

> This sounds like the death of competition in the Mac Emulator arena.
>
> Anyone know how to get System 7.1 installed from HD floppies without
> having the Emulation lock up during the install process? (A4000/3.1/040)

That's really difficult. I didn't even manage to accomplish this
on my A3000/2.04/030. To be honest, I installed the software using
Emplant. Have you already tried turning off the CPU caches?

--
Home: Olaf Barthel | Internet: ol...@sourcery.han.de
Brabeckstrasse 35 |

Michael Perbix

Nov 7, 1994, 5:54:38 PM11/7/94
rasiel...@delphi.com wrote:
: As for the install try booting from the disk tools disk and then simply
: copy the system file and finder over to the hard drive.
:

If already have a system installed, boot off of the DISK TOOLS then TRASH
your system file, NOT FOLDER, but the actual system file in the system
folder. Then try booting off of the Install 1 disk. Our real macs get
corrupted off and on, and the installer bombs after a few minutes...this
solves the whole problem..

* Michael Perbix * Amiga 4000/040 - Emplant 4.7 *
* ty...@netaxs.com * Picasso II - AMIA *
* mpe...@onix.com * *
* * EMPLANT Beta Tester *

u898...@csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au

Nov 11, 1994, 2:06:55 AM11/11/94
In article <pO0Wb-H.ra...@delphi.com>, rasiel...@delphi.com writes:

> Matt Weatherford <ma...@atl.com> writes:
>
>>This sounds like the death of competition in the Mac Emulator arena.
>>
>>Anyone know how to get System 7.1 installed from HD floppies without
>>having the Emulation lock up during the install process? (A4000/3.1/040)
>
> Another vote for Emplant! Jim oughta be smirking in joy on his way
> to London!

> As for the install try booting from the disk tools disk and then simply
> copy the system file and finder over to the hard drive.

Well ... not for amigans though ... competition is the mother
of invention (among other things)

> Ras
> ras...@ids.net

george