AmigaNOS-help1

Richard Akerman

Jan 12, 1993, 11:30:12 AM1/12/93
Last-modified: 1993/01/12
Version: 1.22

Filename: AmigaNOS-help1
Modified-by: Richard Akerman (ake...@qucis.queensu.ca)

This information is based on AmigaNOS 2.9i obtained by anonymous FTP from

gate.demon.co.uk [158.152.1.65]
/pub/amiga/setup/setupv3.lha 710906 bytes
You may want to remove Docs/Zen and Docs/Lots_of_ftp_sites from the archive
to make it smaller for transfer from your account to your Amiga.

(This document is an edited version of readmeNOW!.txt from AmigaNOS/Docs.)

This file is the second in a series of 3 designed to help you get SLIP
running using AmigaNOS. The first one in the series is AmigaNOS-ask, and the
next one in the series is AmigaNOS-help2. All three are available for
anonymous FTP from

wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4]:
/systems/amiga/incoming/text/AmigaNOS-help.lha

NOS Set-up
==========

Here is a brief guide to getting AmigaNOS set up on your machine.
Consult the other files to fully customize your setup.

Running NOS
===========

(1) You must edit the following files putting in your own IP address
and site name were indicated;

Domain.txt in directory amiganos/slip
nos-startup in directory amiganos/slip

Also in Nos-startup you will need to tell it what speed your modem
will be logging on to the host machine:

attach asy serial.device 0 slip nos 4096 1006 38400c <-- The c is for
^ RTS/CTS

Use what you do in your
terminal program.

(3) Edit the ftpusers file in directory amiganos/slip
(This is for when you logon to your NOS BBS.)

The following is your choice;

yourname : (Same as cix would be a good choice)
Password : (Anything not obvious)

(If you don't want any tom, dick or fis logging on get rid of the line
that says anonymous *).

(5) In your startup-sequence put the following;

assign slip: <device>:amiganos/slip
assign tcpip: <device>:amiganos/slip
assign nntp: <device>:amiganos/slip/spool/articles

(6) Edit the Nos-dial file and put in your own site name and password.

(7) Copy files in amiganos/c to your c: directory.

(8) To start simply click the icon (NOS) - it will then load and dial
demon to connect.

(Make sure the assign's are running i.e. you've done a reset)

Q&A:

Q: It won't even open a window
A: You need 1MB or more of memory

Q: How do I log on to my own node?
A: Type "telnet yoursite" or "bbs" at the nos prompt.

Q: What are all these commands for?
A: Type help <command> for info.

--
Richard J. Akerman | ake...@QUCIS.QueensU.Ca | "There is no plot."
| ake...@QUCIS.BITNET | -Guinan in Time's Arrow II
| ake...@bill.phy.queensu.ca | Star Trek: The Next
| ake...@qucdnast.BITNET | Generation

Opal Sullen

Jan 13, 1993, 12:03:21 AM1/13/93
In a message dated Tue 12 Jan 93 14:24, Ake...@qucis.queensu.ca wrote:

AA> All three are available for anonymous FTP from
AA> wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4]:
AA> /systems/amiga/incoming/text/AmigaNOS-help.lha

thank you. i called and got the info you suggested before (ip address for
news server, etc)... i will ftp these files and take another stab at it. i
am sure i'll be back as there are some hurdles to get by....

one of them is... i dial in to a modem pool and cannot be guaranteed that i
will get the same ip each time. i guess this will make it a bit tougher,
eh?

-- Via DLG Pro v0.995

Opal Sullen - Session Manager @
0x0 Republik, Orange County, Ca. 714.530.5442
sul...@republik.fidonet.org - eag...@orion.oac.uci.edu
F i d o N e t - U s e N e T - I n t e r N e t - A m i g a N e t
1:103/108.0 - Republik.FidoNet.Org - 40:402/1.0

Bob Fillmore 992-2832

Jan 16, 1993, 2:00:28 AM1/16/93
Opal Sullen (Opal_...@republik.fidonet.org) wrote:

: In a message dated Tue 12 Jan 93 14:24, Ake...@qucis.queensu.ca wrote:

: AA> All three are available for anonymous FTP from
: AA> wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4]:
: AA> /systems/amiga/incoming/text/AmigaNOS-help.lha

: thank you. i called and got the info you suggested before (ip address for
: news server, etc)... i will ftp these files and take another stab at it. i
: am sure i'll be back as there are some hurdles to get by....

: one of them is... i dial in to a modem pool and cannot be guaranteed that i
: will get the same ip each time. i guess this will make it a bit tougher,
: eh?

If you use AmigaNOS 2.9k with PPP instead of SLIP then your
AmigaNOS IP address will be configured automatically by the
terminal server (if configured properly).

--
Bob Fillmore, Technical Services Division email: fill...@emr.ca
Information Management Branch, BIX: bfillmore

Opal Sullen

Jan 17, 1993, 9:38:27 PM1/17/93
In a message dated Sun 17 Jan 93 16:51, Fill...@emr1.emr.ca wrote:

FF> If you use AmigaNOS 2.9k with PPP instead of SLIP then your
FF> AmigaNOS IP address will be configured automatically by the
FF> terminal server (if configured properly).

do you happen to know where i might find 1.9k? i have 1.9i & 1.9j. also,
when you say use PP instead of SLIP you mean that that i what i choose to
use on my (amiga) side, right? on the server i still open a SLIP
connection, not a PPP connections, right?