how about some help w/ SLIP?

Michael B. Smith

Jan 11, 1993, 6:27:28 PM1/11/93
In article <Opal_Sul...@republik.fidonet.org> Opal_...@republik.fidonet.org (Opal Sullen) writes:
> ... okay, i have the amigaNOS package and there is not any formal dox on
> how to get the SLIP part of this thing set up. it would be nice if there
> was something even kinda like what dillon put in his uucp package. who
> knows, maybe the archive i picked up was not an original release.

Opal, you'd probably get better response on AmigaNOS if you asked in
comp.sys.amiga.datacomm, and I have cross-posted this there, and changed
followups to that group.

Folks who use it, tend to hang out there.

> anyway, i will go ftping around again and see if i can find a better
> package. the one i got had alot of the executables and config files
> already set up for some x25 packet happy guy in london. the few
> newsletters included in the archive told me that i had what i needed, but
> did not go into the SLIP side of things at all--it was all focused on
> x25ing.

Well, from the AmigaNOS point of view, it's relevant. You attach your serial
port to the x25 async interface with a mode of SLIP, I believe.

I quit using AmigaNOS over six months ago, and I've long since removed it
from my HD so I can't give up a specific configuration file or anything.

You should be able to get the complete document set from ucsd.edu in
/pub/ham-radio/ka9q/docs (or something like that).

> so, i DO have dialup access to a server where i can get into SLIP mode, but
> how and what do i need to do to get my amiga NOS software talking to the
> remote server? the ip i get is 255.255.255.255, and i have tried to set
> mine to broadcast on the same channe, but i am affraid i am TOTALLY new to
> SLIP and have not a single clue what to do to get it working.

255.... is likely a broadcast address for ARP, not a valid IP address.

> again, are there any FAQs around or something? i KNOW i can pull this off
> with some help from some experienced people.

There is an AmigaNOS FAQ posted irregularly to comp.sys.amiga.datacomm.
--
// Michael B. Smith
\X/ m...@adastra.cvl.va.us -or- uunet.uu.net!virginia.edu!adastra!mbs

Richard Akerman

Jan 11, 1993, 9:15:49 PM1/11/93
In article <mbs....@adastra.cvl.va.us> m...@adastra.cvl.va.us (Michael B. Smith) writes:
>In article <Opal_Sul...@republik.fidonet.org> Opal_...@republik.fidonet.org (Opal Sullen) writes:
>> ... okay, i have the amigaNOS package and there is not any formal dox on
>> how to get the SLIP part of this thing set up. it would be nice if there
>> was something even kinda like what dillon put in his uucp package. who
>> knows, maybe the archive i picked up was not an original release.

>> anyway, i will go ftping around again and see if i can find a better

>> package. the one i got had alot of the executables and config files
>> already set up for some x25 packet happy guy in london. the few
>> newsletters included in the archive told me that i had what i needed, but
>> did not go into the SLIP side of things at all--it was all focused on
>> x25ing.

>> so, i DO have dialup access to a server where i can get into SLIP mode, but

>> how and what do i need to do to get my amiga NOS software talking to the
>> remote server? the ip i get is 255.255.255.255, and i have tried to set
>> mine to broadcast on the same channe, but i am affraid i am TOTALLY new to
>> SLIP and have not a single clue what to do to get it working.

>> again, are there any FAQs around or something? i KNOW i can pull this off

>> with some help from some experienced people.

This is file: AmigaNOS-ask
Created-by: Richard Akerman (ake...@qucis.queensu.ca)

You will need to get some very specific information from the person who
maintains the local connection you want to use:

1. Do I need to register for SLIP?
2. How do I start up SLIP?
3. What will my hostname and IP address be?
4. What IP address should I use for the default route?
5. What is the hostname and IP address of the domain name server?
6. What is the hostname and IP address of the SMTP gateway?
7. What is the hostname and IP address of the NNTP news server?

Once you have this information, I have two more files which should help you
in getting things set up. I'll be putting them on wuarchive soon.

--
Richard J. Akerman | ake...@QUCIS.QueensU.Ca | "There is no plot."
| ake...@QUCIS.BITNET | -Guinan in Time's Arrow II
| ake...@bill.phy.queensu.ca | Star Trek: The Next
| ake...@qucdnast.BITNET | Generation

Opal Sullen

Jan 12, 1993, 1:14:57 PM1/12/93
In a message dated Tue 12 Jan 93 9:08, Ake...@qucis.queensu.ca wrote:

AA> You will need to get some very specific information from the person
AA> who maintains the local connection you want to use:

okay... got some of this already... have these ones left... should have
them in about 30 mins though ;)

AA> 3. What will my hostname and IP address be?
AA> 4. What IP address should I use for the default route?
AA> 5. What is the hostname and IP address of the domain name server?
AA> 6. What is the hostname and IP address of the SMTP gateway?
AA> 7. What is the hostname and IP address of the NNTP news server?

AA> Once you have this information, I have two more files which should
AA> help you in getting things set up. I'll be putting them on wuarchive
AA> soon.

please let me know where and when you put them up... names would be good
too. ;)

-- Via DLG Pro v0.995

Opal Sullen - Session Manager @
0x0 Republik, Orange County, Ca. 714.530.5442
sul...@republik.fidonet.org - eag...@orion.oac.uci.edu
F i d o N e t - U s e N e T - I n t e r N e t - A m i g a N e t
1:103/108.0 - Republik.FidoNet.Org - 40:402/1.0